£35m for Andy Carroll | On loan @ WHU (the big, long, useless streak of pi**...)

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by CnutOfAllCnuts, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011

MPTutd Full Member

Bet Stevie Me is regret staying all this time now.
  2. Feb 2, 2011

CnutOfAllCnuts Bald Boring Cnut

No need to cry like a girl...

Thanks
  3. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Cry like a girl? Not at all.

Your literalness amuses me sometimes. You are clearly not stupid but you are almost autistic!
  4. Feb 2, 2011

CnutOfAllCnuts Bald Boring Cnut

Happy to amuse you.
  5. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

:)
  6. Feb 2, 2011

RedRover Full Member

Does the fact that if United had signed him all United fans would be defending it not undermine your point slightly? ;)

Just a thought.
  7. Feb 2, 2011

Cina Cina's mum brlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlr

I doubt it. Nobody defended the Berbatov price, which was clearly too much, or the Rio price back then either.

To be fair, I don't know any Scouser fans myself who actually think that fee was justified.
  8. Feb 2, 2011

Kraftwerker Formerly RedAddict

Were you pleased when you invested ambitiously in Aquilani and Johnson under Hicks and Gillett?

Spending close to £40m on those two was certainly an 'ambitious gamble'.
  9. Feb 2, 2011

Name Changed weso26

No way would he pay 35m for Andy Carroll.

How much did United pay for Hernandez? I know who I'd prefer!
  10. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

No, but he'll pay £7m for a streetkid from the Portugese 3rd division or wherever he's from.

The point being, if Ferguson wants a player, he'll pay whatever it takes.
  11. Feb 2, 2011

£7m is a nothing fee. He was also playing in the Portuguese top division, and was an Under-21.

That's also the upper end of fees reported. Retarded comparison (as usual).
  12. Feb 2, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

7 million vs 35 million? fecking hell.

Even if Bebe doesn't become good we'll still probably be able to flog him for 4-5 million based on the fact that he's played in the PL and UCL etc. etc.

If Carroll is a failure you'll stand to lose a lot of money on him. This is what SAF means by a value signing.

While it is true that SAF has made some expensive punts in the past this is usually with good logical thinking. For example we paid 25 million for Rooney after he'd been successful in the PL and in the Euros. It is a lot of money for a kid but its still a relatively safe bet.

What you have done is pay 35 million on a player with 6 months worth of PL experience (might pay off but very risky). Please don't compare this to SAF's usually calculated gambles.
  13. Feb 2, 2011

kouroux Full Member

Very true however the difference is that Ferguson knows very well when to do it and when it's not right.Of course he makes mistakes but in comparison to this 35m£ Carroll, well there is nothing to compare.He's on another level tbh
    A lot of money spent on an okish player
  14. Feb 2, 2011

And who was available for £1m (to West Ham) little over a year ago, but Steve Clarke didn't think he was good enough. :lol:

That's what I find funniest in all this.
  15. Feb 2, 2011

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Dont forget when Berbatov was going through his indifferent 2 seasons we were all told to ignore his price tag. It wasnt his fault etc...

But I really think the Caf are going on far too much about this deal. Pool needed to bring in 2 players they identified their targets and got them end of story.

I am sure Carroll will do well for the club and thats all that really matters. They had the cash and they spent it and will again in the summer.

I wonder what you would all propose they did intead of this deal? Just Suarez and N'Gog?
  16. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Nothing fee? It's £7m on an absolute nobody.

They normally are, Red. Do you think Liverpool paid £35m in cash? Don't think so my friend.

And there's the predictable insult from the internet's hardest man! Or whatever it was you claimed to be..
  17. Feb 2, 2011

I_live_cement Cat freak

Yes, then buy Carroll (or another striker) for a smaller fee in the summer.
  18. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

It's the principle.

I picked your streetkid but I could have picked Hargreaves or Anderson or Nani or Veron or Rooney or Carrick or Keane or Pallister or Berbatov.. All transfer fees that were over the odds at the time.

If Ferguson wants a player, he'll pay for them. Whatever the cost.
  19. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Looks like you've got it, RF!
  20. Feb 2, 2011

Did you even read the rest of my post?

We've paid over the odds many times. Its not the cost but the thought going into paying the cost. I see no logic in paying 35 million for Carroll. I see logic in paying over the odds for all the United players you mentioned apart from Anderson perhaps.
  21. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Because you personally can see no logic in the Carroll deal, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In fact, the fact you can't see it, probably means it does!

No offence!
  22. Feb 2, 2011

£7m is a nothing fee in terms of top club transfers. It's pocket change compared to the £35m you've just blown on Carroll.

Bebe's an absolute nobody to you maybe. Not to our European scouts and our people in Portugal - they haven't served us too bad so far doncha think?

No, apparently it's £35m plus extras, which makes it even funnier.

Dry your eyes, the comparison was retarded, not you.

You only insult your own intelligence with such retarded comparisons, you see.

And what did I tell you before about having a go at people for doing things you do yourself? Only an hour ago you were calling someone autistic.

Or is it OK for you to insult people because you're a special snowflake?
  23. Feb 2, 2011

:yawn:
  24. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Actually, apparently it's only £30m.

But that's for another day and I don't want to spoil your dick measuring fun!
  25. Feb 2, 2011

OK special snowflake.

Whatever makes you feel better.
  26. Feb 2, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Wasn't having a go, Red. Was merely pointing you normally throw around insults in a lot of your posts. Where I'm from it normally indicates the argument is lost. That's why I never have to revert to it, you see?!

But carry on!
  27. Feb 2, 2011

If the cap fits - your comparison was retarded, I highlighted it as so. Don't take it personally sammy, learn from it.

I find it very hard to take your victim act seriously regarding the insults, when you were calling someone autistic in this very thread a few posts back.

You kind of set yourself up to be insulted when you dish it out yourself, don't you think?
  28. Feb 2, 2011

redman5 Full Member

In a world of my own. People know me here.
    The Torres of the first 2 seasons - NO

The sulky, couldn't give a shit Torres from the past 18 months - YES
  29. Feb 2, 2011

204Red Full Member

I do have a question for the Scousers

Wouldn't you have been better off with some sort of short term solution striker rather than gambling your future in the way you have done? I understand Torres leaving left you in a bit of a bind, but by the sounds of things you lot knew this was a possibility several weeks back... and there were a host of cheaper short term options (Abebayor, Agbondahor, Pavlechenko, Forlan, Benzema, even retreds like Herskey, Keane or Crouch) who would have taken you to the summer where you would have had more time to plot the future of your club.

There is no going back from Carroll, and at 35 Million you will stick with him thick and thin giving him ever chance to prove his value... Is he the right guy? That's one hell of a gamble you've taken. We could afford to do this with Veron, because we had a bloody good side around him. The Liverpool side that will surround Carroll is nowhere near as good as our 2001-2003 side.
  30. Feb 2, 2011

RedRover Full Member

To be fair that's questionable. Veron cost a fortune and just didn't fit into the system at all and there are plenty of others - especially goalkeepers - who've never looked like United players. Point is every transfer is a risk and teh failures add up.

Liverpool paid over the odds for a player who may have cost £10 - £15 million less in the summer, although even thats not certain given Spurs interest in him which would surely have pushed up the price after their £23 million bid was already rejected.

They paid a premium because of time and circumstance and because he plays for an english club. Its like asking what Hernandez would be worth now. But in the grand scheme of things over paying by £10 or so million wont bother a premiership club if they get the player they want. Fergie has done it time and again, shattering transfer records since he first took over.

Regardless of what people seem to think, most people commenting who have played the game seem to rate him very highly. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.
  31. Feb 3, 2011

VII Full Member

"not headed that many balls since the Conference"
    :lol::lol::lol:
  32. Feb 3, 2011

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

You're right that if Sir Alex wants a player he usually does his utmost to get them, but I don't think he'd have gone and overspent quite as much nor would he have been pressured into doing it so quickly and rashly. We've waited on players before - Hargreaves out of that list was courted by United but we waited a full year to get him rather than paying the excessive amount we would have been forced to pay.

Sir Alex generally isn't under the kind of pressure that Dalglish was under to do something quickly given how long he's been at the club and how Torres' request came about so that's a big factor in why we've not seen Sir Alex do something quite so rash, but for the same reason that's why we can't make a particularly useful comparison between the two.

He's relentless in his pursuit but rarely if ever has he been forced to pay over the odds to that extent.
  33. Feb 3, 2011

RedRonaldo Full Member

35 fecking million for some player who hasn't achieve anything yet. One would expect he has as much talent as the likes of Rooney, Berbatov or let's say Augero, Pato.
  34. Feb 3, 2011

Sam.G Banned

Ok, Liverpool paid £10m over the odds and Ferguson only ever pays £7m over - or whatever figure you want to put on it.

The principle remains though; Ferguson will pay what it takes to get the players he wants just as the King did for Carroll.

Is he worth it? Time will tell.
  35. Feb 3, 2011

Lynott New Member

Yeah, people making some real fools of themselves in here.
  36. Feb 3, 2011

Viper KGB Full Member

You know I’m bad. Just last week, I murdered a roc
    What do people think of this?

Andy Carroll: Is He Worth It? | The Tomkins Times | Paul Tomkins' blog about Liverpool Football Club (LFC)

I'm glad he's not my accountant, his interpretation of inflation is ridiculous

Man Utd Carrick M 18.6m (potentially) is £32,323,469 after 4 and a half years
  37. Feb 3, 2011

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

Exactly, they paid 18 million for Mascherano a year or so later and he's not on that list.

Torres at £23 million was three years ago and should definitely be on that list.
  38. Feb 3, 2011

Lynott New Member

39. Feb 3, 2011

IrishLegend Full Member

To be fair his points about signing Younger players, on lower salaries makes alot of sense.

The inflation figures and the other stuff is just bollocks.
  40. Feb 3, 2011

PTME Reserve Team Player

Not really. Because in six moths tops Carroll's agent will be renegotiating the contract and demand a 150.000 quid a month payday.