11 United players contracts expiring in the summer

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by AlexUTD, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Oct 11, 2018

arnie_ni Full Member

Exactly. Do i really want smalling starting? No, but he is absolutely our best and would be a perfect back up
  2. Oct 11, 2018

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

We have a huge summer ahead.
  3. Oct 11, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Last summer was supposed to be only tinkering with the squad and it was not dealt with very efficiently. Goodness knows how we will deal with this summer.
  4. Oct 11, 2018

RikRuud Full Member

Looks like we are preparing for a big clear out. Whom ever the manager is, they must be backed 100%.
  5. Oct 11, 2018

anant Full Member

Realistically, only Darmian and one of Valencia/Young will leave, Herrera may leave depending on whether Bilbao are interested in him. Martial, Dave and Pereira's contract will be extended by a year and I hope we sign them onto long term deals
  6. Oct 11, 2018

Trizy Full Member

I'd give Shaw, Pereira, Martial & De Gea new and improved contracts. 4/11.
    I'd renew Smalling, Jones, Darmian & Herrera - Only to sell them in January/Summer 2020 due to not losing money on the players. 8/11
    I'd renew Mata on a reduced wage. Great professional & squad player to have. 9/11
    I'd activate Valencia's +1 option for RB back up to Dalot (hopefully). 10/11
    I'd release Young. 11/11.
  7. Oct 11, 2018

Johan07 Full Member

No one of the listed players should be released and we should to sign them all up on reasonable terms and longer periods. Anything else is pure asset destruction.
    Phil Jones for example; he is 26 and was part of the England squad this summer. Any nouveau TV-rich midtable club like Everton or West Ham, would bite our hands off for him should we decide to transfer him in the future. He is easily worth 40m in todays market. Regardless of injury troubles, etc.
    Its something completely different who of these players should and will be a part of our squad next year. Anyhow I dont see Mourinho changing more than 5 players in his squad until next year if he stays.
    And its not so easy as just deciding from the clubs perspective, who should or stay or not. You need to consider the players will as well, and there might very well be players outside of these 11 that will want to leave.
    We need to keep our options open as long as possible and you dont do that by releasing a lot of players (with some value) long before one of the more important summer transfer windows for a long time.
  8. Oct 11, 2018

Water Melon before it dries out, eh

Makes sense from the club's point of view, however, players have agents. It is very unlikely they would accept short-term deals with lesser wages.
  9. Oct 11, 2018

Fracture90 Full Member

Far from me trying to defend the board, but they made the right decision not fulfilling every whim Mourinho has had when it comes to buying players.

Leaving the next manager full squad of older players on the decline isn't the way to go either.
  10. Oct 11, 2018

stevoc Full Member

I'd keep Herrera, Smalling, Shaw, Martial and obviously DeGea. Mata, Valencia, Young etc. will hopefully be given a nice send off. The likes of Darmian and Jones i'd shoot out of a cannon now never mind waiting until the summer.
  11. Oct 11, 2018

cyberman Full Member

How old were they last summer though? The longer we wait the older they get!
  12. Oct 11, 2018

Fracture90 Full Member

Well you were referring to when a new manager comes so shouldn't we be thinking how old they would be when the next manager comes rather than how old were they last summer?
  13. Oct 15, 2018

SAred Full Member

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
    Looks like Shaw is staying for a few more years so 1 down 10 or less to go.
  14. Oct 15, 2018

RedNed77 Full Member

15. Oct 16, 2018

JK-27 Full Member

Out of those 11 I would only want DDG, Shaw, Martial and Pereira to stay.
  16. Oct 17, 2018 at 11:55

youmeletsfly New Member

These players will be out of contract in the summer:

• Ashley Young (33) -> Should stay as back-up. Also he's a good presence in the dressing room.
    • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Should be backup to Dalot if he's alright with that.
    • Juan Mata (30) -> If we're looking to change our style next year, play wider and faster, he doesn't have a spot in our team. I still feel he;s better as a 10. He might move on. But props to the guy, excellent character and top professional.
    • Ander Herrera (29) -> Should be kept around, he's a brilliant guy and really plays for the shirt.
    • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Will leave
    • Chris Smalling (28) -> 1st choice CB
    • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Give him a huge contract and tie him down.
    • Phil Jones (26) -> Will leave
    • Luke Shaw (23) -> New contract
    • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
    • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.

Martial and Pereira should be given new deals. It will be awkward for them to leave and do well in another team/league.

It looks bad by it's not that bad.
  17. Oct 18, 2018 at 19:47

TheFlagStaysDown Banned

Supports:
    Shamrock rovers
    I hope we extend Herrera's contract, unluk with injuries and manager trust in his tall palyers made him play less and less but he's still a class player who never moans and gives his everything, better option than Matic for us, if we appoint a progressive manager who will know how to play some pressing game, and that's what we need.

Certainly Pereira needs to be backed as he'd be exactly a player the new manager should be working with

Our best CB Smalling should get a 3 year contract too

I'd be furious if we extend Darmian's contract