2017 Gold Cup aka Copa Oro

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by MrMarcello, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Jul 5, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

The 2017 Gold Cup/Copa Oro kicks off this Friday, 7 July, when powerhouses Canada and French Guiana face off followed by a tasty Costa Rica v Honduras match, both matches to be played at Red Bull Arena.

The US play Panama on 8 July in Nashville while Mexico face El Salvador on 9 July in San Diego. Note that all of Mexico's group matches take place in Latin heavy markets (San Diego, Denver, San Antonio) - purely a coincidence. ;)

http://www.concacaf.com/category/gold-cup/schedule
  2. Jul 5, 2017

DanBorja Banned

Horrible tournament. Will watch tho.
  3. Jul 5, 2017

Carolina Red Full Member

I wish they were hosting a match in Charlotte or Atlanta
  4. Jul 5, 2017

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Is it just me or do the US play Panama at least 15 times a year? Everytime North American teams play, it seems that USA v Panama is a fixture.
  5. Jul 5, 2017

Carolina Red Full Member

I know what you mean. We've played each other 17 times since 2004, but yeah, 3 times in 2013 and 3 times in 2015.

We play them and Costa Rica a lot.
  6. Jul 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

I had a look at Canada's squad, and for some reason, it looks quite decent to me, but in a group with Costa Rica and Honduras, I doubt that we'd be able to make it out of the group altogether even with the decent talent we have in our side.
  7. Jul 5, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Wait, didn't they play this 2 years ago?
  8. Jul 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

It's normally played every 2-3 years. Strange, I know, but that's how it is for the Gold Cup.
  9. Jul 5, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Will definitely be looking for streams of the Canadian matches. Surely we are better than French Guiana at least. I think our team has been steadily improving over the years. We should really be challenging teams now and be looking to qualify through first rounds. Leaving out Larin could be risky. Can't recall seeing Jackson-Hamel or Cavallini playing before though so hopefully see good things from them. Cavallini played with Oso at Clarkson and Nacional so hopefully they got a good connection.
  10. Jul 5, 2017

Kasper Full Member

Supports:
    Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
    :lol: Spirit of the off season in one sentence.
  11. Jul 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

We should be with the quality of players we have, to be fair. Hoilett, Arfield, Bernier, and Edwards are our best players for us who should be able to carry us through tough predicaments. Without Larin, however, we don't have a reliable goalscorer, though with his DUI issues and general inconsistency, I always had some concern over him.

By the way, how good is Michael Petrasso? Do you think that he'll be starting or getting appearances for us? I haven't watched much of him in general, but he has looked decent whenever I've been able to see him for Canada.
  12. Jul 5, 2017

Atiba is obviously a big miss too as I think he always looks a class above anyone else. I see he hasn't been called up in a while, has he retired? Or more just the schedule doesn't coincide well with European leagues. Read an article saying Larin will be called up if we advance though. This Jackson-Hamel seems to be having a decent season scoring wise anyway so hopefully it carries over to the national team as we have sorely lacked someone up front.

Got to be honest can't remember ever seeing him play so don't know. Seems he is a winger though so he might start. Hoilett on one side then maybe more likely Edwards on the other side or Ricketts can play wide too. I think I've missed the most recent matches and new manager so not sure what he'll be thinking.

I do know that I think Piette is absolute garbage so hopefully he won't be a favourite under the new manager.
  13. Jul 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

No, he hasn't retired. He's still playing for Besiktas, and the Turkish Super Lig season did end some time back, so he should be available as he hasn't announced his retirement yet. However, Octavio Zambrano hasn't called him up, which is unfortunate as he's still a class act and good enough to boss most of the midfields in the CONCACAF.

Oh, fair enough. I guess we're doing the same to Larin what the U.S. are doing to the U.S. players. Jackson-Hamel hasn't made many appearances for Montréal Impact, with 3 starts and 7 sub appearances, but it seems like he can score goals as he showed against Curacao. However, I do expect Ricketts to start up front with Jackson-Hamel as more of a second striker who will drift to the wide areas like he does with us.

He started some matches during our World Cup qualification when Benito Floro was the head coach, and he seemed okay if not so effective. I fully expect Hoilett to start on the right with Edwards on the left wing. Based on the Curacao friendly, Zambrano seems to play a direct 4-4-2, making heavy use of the wide players and crosses into the box.

Regarding Piette, he did start in the last friendly against Curacao and finished the match as well, so things may not be looking so good regarding that. Plus, our performance was quite appalling considering that we were playing a full-strength side against Curacao.
  14. Jul 5, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

It was part of the Torrijos-Carter treaties.
  15. Jul 5, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

Nats fans - http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...es-final-23-usa-roster-2017-concacaf-gold-cup

Saief has been ruled out with injury, replaced by Pontius (DC United; 2/0)

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals)

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 54/0), Bill Hamid (D.C. United; 2/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 5/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 39/1), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 39/1), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas; 2/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 11/0), Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 2/0), Justin Morrow (Toronto FC/CAN; 1/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna, MEX; 6/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 47/5)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 8/0), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana/MEX; 5/2), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 60/2), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/MEX; 17/2), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 6/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 0/0), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution; 0/0), Kenny Saief (Gent/BEL; 0/0), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy; 31/6)

FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 23/3), Dom Dwyer (Sporting Kansas City; 0/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 15/2)
  16. Jul 5, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

Mexicants - http://www.espnfc.us/mexico/story/3...exico-squad-for-gold-cup-after-duty-in-russia

Goalkeepers: Moises Munoz (Puebla), Jose de Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul), Miguel Fraga (Atlas)

Defenders: Raul Lopez (Pachuca), Luis Rodriguez (Tigres), Hedgardo Marin (Chivas), Hugo Ayala (Tigres), Cesar Montes (Monterrey), Jair Pereira (Chivas), Luis Reyes (Atlas), Alejandro Mayorga (Chivas)

Midfielders: Jesus Molina (Monterrey), Jesus Gallardo (Pumas), Jorge Hernandez (Pachuca), Jesus Duenas (Tigres), Rodolfo Pizarro (Chivas), Orbelin Pineda (Chivas), Erick Gutierrez (Pachuca), Edson Alvarez (Club America)

Forwards: Elias Hernandez (Leon), Martin Barragan (Atlas), Alan Pulido (Chivas), Angel Sepulveda (Morelia)
  17. Jul 5, 2017

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Some interesting teams in it :D. Apart from joke, i am gonna try to watch it.
  18. Jul 5, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    No european player?
  19. Jul 5, 2017

Kasper Full Member

Supports:
    Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
    No Pulisic?
  20. Jul 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

The USA is saving their best players for the knockout stages. Bradley and Altidore are also not in the squad, but they will get called up later if the U.S. make it past the group stages. The same goes for Cyle Larin and Canada.
  21. Jul 5, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

Yeah, forgot to post the available players for later stages. I believe each nation can make X changes for knockout rounds. It's a bizarre rule but has been available to this tournament for a while now.
  22. Jul 5, 2017

DanBorja Banned

Nope, it's an alternate squad. Players to watch are Cesar Montes and Edson Alvares. No doubt they will be playing in Europe in a couple of years.
  23. Jul 6, 2017

Fenomeno9 Full Member

I always found it unfair that the US is the only Concacaf team that usually gets to host this cup. I understand the financial reason but still.
  24. Jul 6, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

Mostly correct. Mexico got to host group matches in their country back in 2003, and the QF, and the SF, and the Final; they also had the same route in 1993 (though no QFs played that year). They won the cup both times.

I don't see how anyone but the US can host this tournament with the number of matches and whatnot. Additionally, many of the cities matches are played have a strong Latin population (or draw from a few miles to few hundred miles away). The US is sometimes the "visiting side" against some of these nations depending on the venue. For Mexico, it's basically a second home with the amount of Mexican-Americans, tourists and (yes, even) illegals. I think most of the other nations fans would much prefer to travel to the cozy confines of the US over other locales.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  25. Jul 6, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Yeah, fair decision, considering the european leagues start next month.
  26. Jul 6, 2017

Camara New Member

Supports:
    FC Porto
    Which Gold-Cup-awkward national team was invited this year?

Syria? Kyrgyzstan? American Samoa? Venezuela?
  27. Jul 6, 2017

They haven't invited teams for 12 years
  28. Jul 6, 2017

BarstoolProphet Full Member

No, Mexicans.
  29. Jul 6, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I meant players who plays in Europe ;)
  30. Jul 7, 2017

Darwin09 Theory of Thread Pollution

:lol::lol::lol:
  31. Jul 7, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It was clear what i meant ;)
  32. Jul 7, 2017

Mr. P Mosh New Member

:rolleyes:

Alan Pulido is out because of injury, Erick Torres (Houston Dynamo) takes his place. Without Pulido (and Zaldivar, who got injured before the friendlies) this is a really crappy set of forwards. I could combine them all (Barragan, Sepulveda & Torres) and would still suck.

When it comes to talent, Gutierrez, Pizarro & Pineda are the ones that should carry the team, Pizarro being the best, but Pineda is the "different" one, the magician in this team.

If, at last, Dueñas & Elias Hernandez carry their club form to the NT, this squad could be very strong (for this Gold Cup edition).

Still, I see CR & the US as the favs to win this.
  33. Jul 7, 2017

So apparently we might be starting the tournament with a forfeited win. Malouda isn't eligible but their coach said he is going to play anyway :lol:
  34. Jul 7, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Realy?!?! WOW! Thanks French Guiana! :lol:
  35. Jul 7, 2017

36. Jul 7, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Technically, that's true. A football game will get played out, but we'll still get a free 3-0 win.

If French Guiana want to do that, then I'm all for it! We'll get a free 3-0 win, and French Guiana will be under pressure from CONCACAF to not repeat that in their next 2 matches.
  37. Jul 7, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

That's absolutely ridiculous. CONCACAF cannot allow that to happen.
  38. Jul 8, 2017

Petrasso does start and unfortunately so does Piette
  39. Jul 8, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

To be fair, it was French Guiana, so we got away with it.

Having said that, the way our defence became complacent and conceded two silly goals is extremely worrisome. If we are to get through, we needed to beat French Guiana by at least 3 goals.

I don't know why Steven Caldwell and Luke Wileman were overly praising Cavallini. He did the basics alright, but he was slow, and his movement was quite poor for a striker. His hold-up play didn't amount to much, and I'd rather Jackson-Hamel or Ricketts ahead of him as both over the hold-up play along with better movement and technique.

I'm just glad that Alphonso Davies played with such maturity in his game. I was surprised that Raheem didn't start on the left, but Davies did a very good job. His athleticism caused lots of problems, and his movement made him a consistent threat. The fact that he also tracked back and supported de Jong was also very good to see. At least we have some solid attacking threat even if our defence is porous. Petrasso shouldn't really play behind Hoilett as he's inexperienced in the role and defensively poor. Do we have any other right back who can do a job there? Maybe Manjrekar James in the tougher games?

Oh well, at least we got 3 points and a solid +2 GD to start off the tournament. I really, really hope that we can somehow get 6 points, because even if we get 4 points, I'm sure that at least one of Honduras and Costa Rica will destroy our GD.
  40. Jul 8, 2017

What the feck was that lol. It started raining and it seemed the team just collectively shit their pants. I was really worried as we looked a mess which is worrisome against a frankly a horrible team. At 3-0 I was feeling confident for the other matches but now not so much. Bernier I think coming out lost our control a bit. Still think Piette is garbage. Don't know what he offers. He hangs back with the CBs but doesn't actually defend as he can barely even more to get near opposition players and its not even like he dictates the game like a shitty Pirlo or anything either.

Yea they were over praising him for sure. He looked to make a pretty good start but after that was pretty average. Had a few good bits but he is quite slow which ruined a few chances for counters. Never seen Jackson-Hamel before but he looked pretty good and did well for the 4th goal. I used to hate Ricketts but ever since he came to Toronto FC I quite like him. Not the best player but you know what you get with him and tbh for Canada that is pretty good.

Don't think I ever saw Davies play before just heard about him. The kid is rapid, wow it was actually ridiculous how he outran some of their defenders. Really cool finishes for both his goals as well. Looks very good and hope he can keep progressing. I did like his tracking and the one time he messed up and let it out for a throw he didn't let his head drop but instead quickly got back to cover for De Jong in case of a quick throw.

I thought Hoilett was poor today. Don't know who will come in but we will have to put someone more defensive in against better opposition.

We certainly messed up the GD which is going to be important. Two third place teams also advance which is realistically probably our chance. After that collapse though I'm just sceptical of our defence against the better teams.