5 best passers in each league?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Fortitude, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

Seems to be a forgotten skill as a whole as there's rarely discussions about it outside of mentioning Messi since Xavi retired (it seems). The last generation had a host of sublime passers with the likes of: Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Veron leading the pack.

So, who do we have that are active that come close to guys like those above? Who are the star passers of this generation?

For the PL, in no particular order, I'll go with:

- Cesc Fabregas
    - Mesut Oezil
    - Paui Pogba
    - Kevin De Bruyne
    - Christian Eriksen

What would you go with? Which league can do better (shameless attempt to get other leagues involved :p)?
  2. Dec 6, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Banned

Not sure I'd put Özil in there, he's probably the best final ball player in the league but the rest have a much greater arsenal of passes.
  3. Dec 6, 2017

Norris Full Member

For PL,

• Fabregas
    • Silva (The David Kind)
    • Pogba
    • De Bruyne
    • Eriksen
  4. Dec 6, 2017

kthanksbye Full Member

French League - Verratti and 4 others.
  5. Dec 6, 2017

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Fabregas
    Pogba
    David Silva
    Santi Cazorla
    Kevin De Bruyne
  6. Dec 6, 2017

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

I’d swap out Ozil or Eriksen for David Silva.

It’s weird how the best passers in the league are completely different players to those in years gone by. You refer to Xavi, Alonso etc. They would play their best football away from the final third, but I’d say in the current PL, minus Pogba is there a proper central midfielder who is considered a passing genius?

I think the PL is really lacking in that respect and probably a reason why counter attacking football spearheaded by unbelievable wingers and attacking midfielders seems to be the theme of 17/18.
  7. Dec 6, 2017

Mcking Full Member

8. Dec 6, 2017

IAmAWinner New Member

Fabregas is an excellent passer, the best in the league actually for me.
  9. Dec 6, 2017

I think anything along the deck, he is the best in the league. He's not one for all the aerial stuff, but the way he slots the ball in anywhere he wants it to go on the deck is on another level to anyone else.
    I really wanted to put him in, but beings as he's probably never going to play again, I opted for Oezil.
  10. Dec 6, 2017

Who's Kissing Cameras? New Member

Serie A

Pjanic
    Jorginho
    Hamsik
    Valero
    Bonaventura
  11. Dec 6, 2017

Yes, this is what struck me when I thought about the passers we have nowadays and why I wanted to expand across other leagues, too. We rarely see expansive passers from deep who can just sit there, like a quarterback, spraying passes all over the place at will anymore.

About Silva - his thing is link up play, not necessarily sublime individual moments of passing brilliance, imo. It's why he gets less attention in general than KDB, whose one pass can turn a game and grab all the headlines.

Unless it's cute link-up play, I'm not sure I'd favour him over the others to better them with a single pass. All in my subjective opinion, of course.
  12. Dec 6, 2017

Rossa Full Member

What about Carrick? Maybe not the flashiest of passers, but he opens up play and weights his passes really well.
  13. Dec 6, 2017

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I would have Blind over Carrick, more capable of putting a striker in on goal with his passing.
  14. Dec 6, 2017

James Peril Banned

Difficult to argue with this list! If there was a contest to hit targets and cones, I would pick Fabregas to win. In the game though, de Bruyne for me. Fabregas is very good at hitting long(er) balls over the line and picking out wingers on the run, but de Bruyne is equally as good whilst also being extreme with his short-game. Amazing player.

Pogba is also extreme in his own way, especially the way he shields the ball and kind of plays football with himself.

Why is de Bruyne probably the best? Their wins against West Ham and Soton shows everything he can offer. The short play with Sterling before 2-1 in the 96th minute, who had the calm to do that way into stoppage time!? The great ball over a tight line to Silva for 2-1, also just perfectly executed.
  15. Dec 6, 2017

Green_Red Full Member

I think the position has undergone a bit of a culture shift since 2008. Might be a coaching thing since that great Barca side.
  16. Dec 6, 2017

B20 HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    In england, it is

De Bruyne
    David Silva
    Pogba
    Fabregas

And one other - choose any from ozil, eriksen, etc.
  17. Dec 6, 2017

SpyLuke10 Full Member

Personally I think you have to break it up into 2 categories, final ball/pass/cross type passing and dictating player from a bit deeper where you need to be able to transfer the ball from one end of the pitch to the other with pinpoint accuracy and whilst being composed if under pressure from opposing players.

Pogba and Fabregas are the 2 standout players imo at the latter, but there are some other players out there who are very good at this and maybe go a bit under the radar, such as Xhaka, Matic, and Carrick.

In terms of the final pass, De Bruyne is head and shoulders the best in the league atm imo. However, players such as Özil, Eriksen, David Silva and Gundogan are class when it comes to this, and again Pogba and Fabregas are decent at this too. (Mata is pretty decent too actually)

So to pick 5 players, I'd say De Bruyne, Fabregas, Ozil, Pogba and Eriksen. David Silva the honourable mention, he is unlucky to miss out.

From La Liga, Kroos is the best at dictating play from deep by a mile. And for the final pass Messi is the best imo. To round out the top 5, I'd put Modric, Iniesta (don't follow La Liga too much idk how good Iniesta is these days but I'll put him in here anyway) and Rakitic in. Honourable mentions: Parejo (Valencia midfielder), Busquets (underrated passer by many) and when it comes to crossing Marcelo is great.

idk much about Serie A, for best passer in that league, my guess would be Pjanic, as for the Bundesliga, Thiago? Lastly the best passer in PSGigue 1 is Verratti.
  18. Dec 6, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    1. Kroos

2. Messi

3. Modric

4. Iniesta

5. Banega
  19. Dec 6, 2017

Woo! Incoming! Hope you're wearing suitable armour! ;)
  20. Dec 6, 2017

Rossa Full Member

Blind's passing is more adventerous, but also much more erratic.
  21. Dec 6, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

Fabregas
    Silva
    De Bruyne
    Carrick
    Pogba
  22. Dec 6, 2017

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Silva
    De Bruyne
    Pogba
    Coutinho
    Willshere
  23. Dec 6, 2017

Jacob Full Member

Isn't Ramsey a good passer?
  24. Dec 6, 2017

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    To the opposition he is
  25. Dec 6, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Ligue 1: Neymar,Verrati, Moutinho, Bourigeaud and probably Draxler too
  26. Dec 6, 2017

goons New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Like someone mentioned Cazorla would easily make this list... If he was actually still playing football...
  27. Dec 6, 2017

No Fekir?
  28. Dec 6, 2017

MadMike Full Member

This might be going against the grain here, but I personally find Pogba a bit too erratic with his passing to class him as a top 5 passer. He plays some absolute worldies (with both feet) but also in many games he surrenders possession a bit too easily for me and messes up some simple passes.

To clarify, I’m not talking about the times when he plays some adventurous over the top pass and it doesn’t come off. High risk passes obviously have a lower completion rate. I’m talking mostly about his short passing where in some games he fails to complete 1-2s or play the ball with the right accuracy or pace to unlock a defence.

He’s undoubtedly a top top CM because he brings so much to the table... power, pace, height, runs from deep, goals and assists. But when I think of the best passers, specifically, then I reckon...
    Fabregas
    KDB
    Silva
    Özil
    Coutinho
    Eriksen
    .... are slightly ahead of him.

But in a CM role I wouldn’t take anyone of them ahead of Pogba, he’s just more complete. I would however take some of those as #10s.
  29. Dec 6, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Have we been watching different players? Carrick's final ball is far superior to Blind's.
  30. Dec 6, 2017

MadMike Full Member

Has Banega been that good?
    Haven’t watched much of La Liga lately, it’s a genuine question.
  31. Dec 6, 2017

James Peril Banned

It feels like Cazorla and Paul Scholes retired at the same time, that’s how long ago it was since Cazorla was an active player.
  32. Dec 6, 2017

James Peril Banned

Ridiculous list without Sergio Busquets mate... easy or not, and they are not just easy, his passing is WC.
  33. Dec 6, 2017

Yagami Full Member

La Liga:
    Messi
    Jonathan Viera
    Kroos
    Banega
    Busquets

PL:
    De Bryune
    Pogba
    D.Silva
    Alexis
    Ozil

Serie A:
    Suso
    Luis Alberto
    Pjanic
    Hamsik
    Alejandro Gomez

L1:
    Neymar
    Pastore
    Fekir
    Verratti
    di María

They're about equal, IMO. Both great passers.
  34. Dec 6, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

I think that part of his game is very underrated. Özil adapts the passes he makes dependant on the forwards he's playing with. If he's playing with Giroud, you'll see more of those passes than when he's playing with Lacazette/Benzema/Walcott type players. He's comfortably one of the Top 5 passers in the league, there's an elegance and precision to his passing which has the perfect weight and the perfect accuracy which I cannot see from any other player in the league except De Bruyne. I think he's probably one of the best corner takers as well for that reason.

See the passes he was making in the 15/16 season and the types of aerial assists he was making for Giroud when he was the preferred striker that season:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  35. Dec 6, 2017

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

That's exactly what I've been doing, watching. You can provide me with evidence of how often Carrick has put our strikers through on goal if you like, but Blind was doing that far more frequently even when he was playing centreback.
  36. Dec 6, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    I will have the same list but with Thiago Motta instead of Fekir.

I don't know what to think about ADM though.

Of course, I can't be biased!
  37. Dec 6, 2017

I do mean relative to the other guys listed, who are all pretty much renowned for it and are likely to go aerial whereas Oezil won't unless he really has to. I didn't mean it literally as in he can't do it all, but I wouldn't favour him over others in that department, just as I would see him as the numero uno ground passer in the league even though the others can slot a through ball themselves.
  38. Dec 6, 2017

Yagami Full Member

:D

I actually forgot about Motta! I wouldn't argue about having him over Fekir but I think I'd go with Fekir. Still, a good player who'd deserve to be on such a list.

What do you make of di María? I think he's one of the most creative passers in the world so it didn't feel right leaving him out, and plus I couldn't think of many better than him off the top of my head.
  39. Dec 6, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    I disagree, Blind I've seen play some cracking angles balled over the top but Carrick has a greater ability to get the ball forward in to players in advanced positions in to feet, I don't know why I need to provide you evidence of this as it is something United lacked for years in midfield without him regularly playing in it...

If Blind were a better passer than Carrick particularly offensively, he wouldn't be sitting on the bench every game, he'd likely likely be playing in a midfield 3 with Pogba and Matic.

Good player who's got a lot of decent facets to his game, but Carrick is one of the premier passing midfielders of his generation, and Daley Blind is not.
  40. Dec 6, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Disagree, I don't know how you can say it's a ridiculous list when all 5 of those are incisive, creative passers with excellent range. Busquets is great at what he does with the ball and that's playing short and retaining possession, but there are a lot of different aspects to his role that make him top quality (positioning, reading of the game, focus etc) more so than just his passing.

I would agree with those 5 being ahead of him because they all have a greater range of passing and have shown an ability more so than Busquets to execute passes with a high degree of difficulty.