A-League 2010/2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Melbourne Red, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Aug 11, 2010

Melbourne Red Trannie Lover

With this being the first season for a long time that I actually give a shit, I thought I'd start the thread.

I had the misfortune of being at the Heart vs Central Coast game the other night and can't understand how anyone thought it was a good debut performance from the Heart. Other than a reasonably solid effort from the back four, it was a bit of a shambles, with the passing play being VPL quality.

I do expect a steep improvement from them as the season wears on, however. Van't Schip is a top coach and the players we have are outstanding for this level.

Also had a look at the Victory vs Sydney and Gold Coast United vs Brisbane encounters. To be honest, the main point of interest for me in watching A-League matches is to try and spot future Socceroos. On that note, Mate Dugandzic looks like a real player doesn't he? Small, quick, skillful- he's the opposite of the Australian archetype. With any luck he'll stay in the first team while all their forwards are out with injuries and eventually earn a move to a good European club.

Brisbane also stroked the ball around superbly by A-League standards in that game. I haven't watched enough A-League over the years to be particularly well versed about what their players are like, or what their championship chances are, but if they play like that every week I'll make an effort to keep watching them.
  2. Aug 11, 2010

puNANI Full Member

I've taken an interest to it this year as well. What you would find is though that Melbourne Heart had the highest rate of successful passes this week with 80.75 percent. They played some decent build up in the first 70 minutes and the big bloke up front looked dangerous but they really missed a lacking edge. They do have good quality players do like Michael Beauchamp, Collosimo, Bolton, Skoko. Perth Glory are another entertaining team in my eyes, Sterjovski and Fowler will cause many problems for teams.

Another player that looks like he can be a future socceroo is Ben Kantarovski from Newcastle Jets. He is 19 years old I think and his main role is a defensive midfielder but Newcastle plays him at centre back due to his defensive qualities. His a bit like Rodwell in that sense and he is one to watch in the future. He had a trial at Bayern if I'm not mistaken. Tommy Oar is a good prospect but left the A-League but I'm really struggling to think of any other good young players. Matthew Simon from Gold Coast maybe.
  3. Aug 11, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

I reckon we were lucky to come away with anything on Friday night against the Jets...very shoddy performance from the reds, especially in the first few minutes.
  4. Aug 11, 2010

Heart's 17 year old Brendan Hammill is one who's come down from the NSW Academy with a big reputation. He was given 20 minutes against Central Coast and is one I've been told by a coach at the National Training Centre to keep an eye on.

Heart have also got half a dozen teenagers in their squad who I don't know much about, but whom will I imagine get some decent playing time this season when the injuries start piling up.

I spotted that stat about Heart having the most completed passes, but as Andy Harper pointed out, those stats don't tell you how many of those passes were just players players stroking it sideways in non-threatning positions. Honestly, everyone around me was pretty restless at that performance. I imagine it'll take a couple of months before they start to gel, I just hope they can grind out enough points until then to stay in touch.
  5. Aug 11, 2010

vivaronaldo Full Member

i might wait for the sydney rovers to get in before i actually care..........ill change that i actually do watch games when im at home on tv , but as for following it passionately , just cant do it
  6. Aug 11, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

Down here we've got a few up and comings in Monterosso, Costa, Leckie and Birighitti...all u20 national team members.
  7. Aug 11, 2010

jazza13 Full Member

The Phoenix play in a couple of days so hopefully they get off to a decent enough start. Up against Smeltz and GC UNited though. A tricky fixture. But we've managed to do decently against them last year. Hoping that they can at least match last years performance though. The yellow fever is well and truly on.
  8. Aug 11, 2010

Leckie came through the system at Brunswick City/Bulleen down here and the coaches at Bulleen still rave about him. Haven't seen enough of the other lads you mentioned.

However the state of youth production is quite clearly a world apart from what it was at the start of the A-League. A general stagnation in Oz footie coupled with a messy changeover from NSL to A-League meant that we produced a generation of rather average youth internationals who are now plying their trade in the A-League, Asia and lower level Euro clubs. I get the sense that among the teenagers who are coming through now, there's quite a few who are destined for mid-to-top tier European clubs.
  9. Aug 11, 2010

United Fan 101 Holds a Ph.D. in Football

WE'RE CHAMPIONS ... WE'RE CHAMPIONS ... WE'RE CHAMPIONS OF THE LEAGUE!
    WE'RE PREMIERS ... WE'RE PREMIERS ... WE'RE PREMIERS OF THE LEAGUE! x6

CHAMPIONES, CHAMPIONES, OLE OLE OLE. x4

Just thought I'd chuck that in.
  10. Aug 11, 2010

forrie_x Full Member

How did you lot only manage to get 12 thousand to the Victory game the other night... What a joke...

Get to go to the new AAMI park on Saturday night, went for a MV pre-season game there, but the real deal will be awesome this weekend.

Also, someone mentioned Dugandzic before, will be an awesome player, started to show it last year, especially in that game against Adelaide, but injuries got him late in the season, so hopefully he steers clear of that this year...
  11. Aug 11, 2010

And here comes Kevin Muscat ... the professor of the penalty kick ... HE'S MISSED. CLANK. CLANK. CLANK. OFF THE WOOD-WORK.

Much more of a funny joke, IMO. :lol:

Come back when you're champions. :)

We won the league at Eti-Hole, at Eti-Hole, we won the fecking league at Eti-Hole!
  12. Aug 11, 2010

puNANI Full Member

Hamill looked good but was a little bit raw which is expected from a kid of his age. He looks good though. That's true but the interplay between the midfield and strikers had potential at times and it will develop in the future when the players gel. The real surprise for me was Sydney FC. They played really well until they squandered their lead in a dismal manner. It will be an interesting season as a lot of the teams look stronger than they did last year.

Where is Gold Coast getting all their money from by the way, they are interested in Nuno Gomez apparently.

Yep I've seen Leckie before, he looks like a good prospect.
  13. Aug 11, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

This is as good as place as any to ask...what do you guys think of this Osieck bloke?

Hopefully he will encourage more stars to return by the thime his term is up.
  14. Aug 11, 2010

I don't know, I'm not delighted with it, to be honest. I think we needed a bigger name - it's something we've really lacked up to this point in time. I think we missed a trick here.
  15. Aug 11, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

There certainly were some good names being thrown about.

I would have loved to have seen Bielsa have a crack at it. Rudi Völler was also rumoured to have been approched.
  16. Aug 11, 2010

Yep, definitley. I mean, don't get me wrong, this Osieck chap could go on to do quite well, I just think we could have done a lot better this time around, and as mentioned before, we've missed a trick.

I'm not saying we needed to hire another Hiddink (although it would have been nice, wouldn't it?) but I think that Chilean bloke you mentioned, Biesla would have been a lot more suitable.

- Good football.
    - Proven, and by proven, I don't mean a former manager of Canada ...
    - Proper experience

And so on and so forth ...
  17. Aug 11, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

Also wouldn't hurt to see some of the young lads given more time in the senior team.

By 2014 (if we qualify) we need more pace.
  18. Aug 11, 2010

vivaronaldo Full Member

i give him 2 years , if he doesnt do well , he will be sacked before the big world cup qualifiers take place
  19. Aug 12, 2010

vivaronaldo Full Member

they only got 12K because the majority of football fans realise that sydney fc is just a fancy name for northern spirit.........its fans, its culture makes people not want to get involved especially those who followed the old nsl whom they failed to even try and get involved......

plus you know us sydney fans....give us a couch and a tv and we'll stay home rather than get out there.......if they had a decent marquee (dwight yorke in season 1) then i might be tempted but i cant say a nicky carle will have me hanging to get to a game
  20. Aug 12, 2010

Christofaux Full Member

I am a season ticket holder for Sydney fc, was at the melbourne game, pretty disappointing but Nicky carle looks the goods.
  21. Aug 12, 2010

Where abouts?
  22. Aug 13, 2010

I'm a South fan and ultimately couldn't manage to raise any passion for Victory because of the KGB-esque way they expunged the NSL from the record. I of course understand that its supposed to be a fresh start but I still find it hard to stomach the way the new administration behaves as if the first season of the A-League represents some sort of Year Zero for Australian football, or the way nu-football types demonstrate a complete lack of understanding and respect for the traditions the local game. It was far more than just some flare-throwing ethnic sideshow.

But I've ranted about this on here before, and I'm sure no one wants to hear it again. FWIW I've adopted the Heart as I simply want a team to follow in this league.

Can you please elaborate on the Sydney FC fans and culture? What in your view is wrong with it?
  23. Aug 13, 2010

Carle's head and shoulders above every other Australian player in this league based on that performance. He's come back from Europe with a real polish to his game.
  24. Aug 14, 2010

Christofaux Full Member

ummm my ticket is in my car which is in another suburb after a big night out last night, bay 24 i think. Up and to the right of the cove if your looking at the field.
  25. Aug 14, 2010

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    Went to see Fowler's debut last week. The game itself was very entertaining but Fowler wasn't any good - I don't know if he was off the pace due to fitness or if he's genuinely ready for retirement, but I'm hoping he improves.
  26. Aug 14, 2010

Christofaux Full Member

He also looks far sharper then Dwight yorke, but we will see how the season progresses.
  27. Aug 14, 2010

Oh nice, yeah I'm in the cove every game.
  28. Aug 14, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

Just watched the Nth Queensland/Sydney game.

Good stuff from the Fury. They looked really great especially in that last half hour/when Daal came on.
  29. Aug 22, 2010

The Heart looked a lot better this week. They're still a shambles at the back, but that can only improve given the players we have back there. What was encouraging was some of the attacking play in the second half. Gerald Sibon looks like a superb target man for this level, he’s got a Vidukaesque ability to keep his balance with defenders barging into his back whilst delicately controlling the ball. I think we could have a pretty massive problem if he suffers an injury because he seems to be the focal point of every move. The passing was a bit more decisive this time around as well.

The other game I watched was Glory vs Newcastle. I have a soft spot for Glory, firstly because they remind me of the old NSL days, and secondly because I’m a Liverpool fan and they have the Lord himself running around for them in a number 9 shirt. FWIW, he’s slow as feck but his touch, passing and vision were a class apart from everyone else on the pitch. The shame for the Glory is that his lack of pace and fitness will probably be a barrier to his getting the ball enough to exert the sort of influence that he potentially could.

It’s also great to see Glory getting decent sized crowds again. That stadium of theirs is without a shadow of a doubt the best in Australia for aesthetics, with the old fashioned standing terrace. It really is a wonderful sight when it’s near capacity.

On the future Socceroo front, Matthew Leckie played a superb game. He’s lightning quick and showed great composure with his finish. He and Dugandzic are the ones who have really impressed me this season.

Kantarovski at Newcastle seems to have recovered from his horrific own goal last week, and turned in a good performance. There’s a certain quality about his defensive work, and he’s got the raw strength and athletic ability to be a good footballer. I’ll be keeping my eye on him.

The Jets’ Jelic showed good technique with one free-kick, it was the sort of dipping, fizzing free kick you almost never see from an Australian player in the A-League. The commentators also suggested that if he gets over what has apparently been a terrible injury run, he might have a decent future ahead of him.

Didn’t take much note of Scott Neville for Glory, however. I’ll have to have a look at him in future weeks.
  30. Aug 22, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

What really is surprising is to see the Victory and Sydney still struggling.

Victory couldn't even get a victory (ba dum tish!) against what I'm told was a 9 man Fury outfit.
  31. Aug 22, 2010

forrie_x Full Member

To be fair, they went 1-0 down, then fury got a red card, MV brought it to 2-1, only to give away one of the softer penalties you'll see.
    It was given for obstruction, which is an indirect free kick in the box anyway...
    The 2nd yellow card came between the foul in the box & Payne actually taking and scoring the penalty.
    Couldnt get the final goal after Payne's peno in the 85th.
    Had 28 shots or something overall.
    Should have won, but didnt. Bit of a bummer, but with players coming back soon, plus the longer season, no need to panic.
    This Ricardinho bloke is meant to be a ripper! Labelled the King of the dribble back in Brazil...
  32. Aug 22, 2010

Christofaux Full Member

no.
  33. Aug 29, 2010

So then, who watched the A-League this weekend?

I didn't watch it at all other than a bit of the Melbourne Victory vs Gold Coast match. Was actually a very watchable game, with both sides keeping hold of the ball and stroking it around. Carlos Hernandez is surely the best player in this league?

I don't think it's too controversial to say that what I've seen this season represents a marked improvement from season 1.

Les Murray was making the point on TWG that we've now got four coaches with the top UEFA Coaching badge (the 'Pro' badge), and seven more with UEFA 'A' badges. At this stage, there's a far greater emphasis on possession football and even though it's not always executed successfully, that's a healthier state of affairs than what there was a few years ago.
  34. Aug 29, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

Agree with that. Didn't actually get to see any of the league this weekend, but i did hear we had a good win up North.
  35. Aug 29, 2010

SharkyMcShark Horrified

So apparently the Glory won.

I was at a convention at the time and thus didn't see the game.
  36. Aug 29, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

Has Ricardinho made his debut yet? I keep hearing him being bigged up by Victory supporters.
  37. Aug 29, 2010

sdb4884 Full Member

We won with a spot kick in the last minute. Baird dived to win a penalty and Fowler converted it. Alex Terra dived earlier to win a penalty for Melbourne Heart so really a draw was the right result.
  38. Aug 29, 2010

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Was fowler still generally useless? I went to the first two home games and watched the game v Victory and he wasn't up to much
  39. Aug 29, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

Have you guys been following this story about the short-term deals? Brendan Schwab is looking to have them banned. Personally I agree with him.
  40. Sep 4, 2010

Get the feck in there!

Nice to get a win in before the big derby in a couple of weeks. Colosimo and co. looked a lot better in defence this time as well.