A new defensive line (not OTT, just be realistic)

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Edgar Allan Pillow, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Feb 1, 2018

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers

If we really need to purchase a new defensive line with players who are or may be willing to transfer, who would be your choices?

LB...CB...CB...RB

How much would it cost?
  2. Feb 1, 2018

And please no overpaying like VVD!
  3. Feb 1, 2018

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    See City for details.
  4. Feb 1, 2018

NikSab Anthony Martial's #1 fan

Still the best defense in the country. I don't know why do we have to discuss getting a new backline again?Also had our best defender missing and Shaw too.
  5. Feb 1, 2018

17 Van der Gouw biffa bin

Valencia---Jones---Bailly---LB
  6. Feb 1, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

1 RB and a commanding ball playing CB would be nice.
  7. Feb 1, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I don't think people have understood that this is hypothetical.
  8. Feb 1, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Hopefully Rojo when back on track
  9. Feb 1, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Seems there is a shortage of RB’s as it’s not easy to mention one that is at the required level. Not just an extra body but a significant upgrade.
  10. Feb 1, 2018

DatIrishFella Band of Brothers, Thief

Valencia - Bailly - ????? - ..... Shaw?

I know this may sound a bit left field but I highly rate Ben Mee off Burnley.

Good defensively and on the ball. Something I cant say for Jones nor Smalling.
  11. Feb 1, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

We just bought a centre half for £40m 5 months ago. And 12 months earlier we bought one for £30m.

The fact that nobody considers Lindelof at all in any line up shows what a enormous waste of money he was.
  12. Feb 1, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Wouldn't be too quick shipping out Jones, been easily our best defender this season and one of our best players, 1 bad game doesn't change that for me.
  13. Feb 1, 2018

golden_blunder Dreaming of a return to 4-4-2 Staff

I reckon Mou still hankers after Varane. He’s always raved about him
  14. Feb 1, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I'm very happy with our CBS. Especially buying Bailly and Lindeloff
  15. Feb 1, 2018

Bocca9978 New Member

New RB - Bailly - New CB - New LB

Our back four has as many problems as Liverpool’s. I’m surprised this hasn’t been addressed yet by Jose.
  16. Feb 1, 2018

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers. Verified Moaner

I agree with OP. In my opinion the reason why LVG and Jose have reverted to negative and defensive tactics is they become acutely aware that our defenders are just not good enough so the whole team needs to drop in, work hard and defend. This is the reason for our impressive defensive stats (well this plus DDG). Everytime we go out with an attacking game plan and try to go toe to toe, our defenders get exposed for what they are and leak soft and poor defensive goals. In terms of who I’d buy, well LVG tried to replace them with Blind and Rojo and Jose with Bailly and Lindelof. Neither pairing have been anything like successful. Personally I don’t think we need a whole new back 4 but I’d like to see Bonucci in as a CB. Shaw should be given the opportunity at LB for the rest of the season and see how he performs. If Bailly comes back and stays fit then he’s got to be given an opportunity. Valencia probably has another season in him but I’d like to see an upgrade come in during the summer. Not sure who though.
  17. Feb 1, 2018

RepardReece New Member

Valencia---Bailly---Rojo---Shaw [RIGHT NOW)
    Valencia/New RB---Bailly---Rojo/Lindelof/New CB---Shaw [NEXT SEASON]

Hopefully Lindelof will improve, become another strong CB we can use as an option and form a back three with Bailly and Rojo when Mourinho needs 3 at the back.
    A replacement for Valencia will be needed eventually, not sure who we could bring in though.
    Shaw just needs game time, not sure why everyone think he needs replacing. Mourinho just needs to grow balls and drop Young.
    Smalling and Jones need to go, fair enough they went the whole of January without scoring but lets be serious, is that because of them or DDG? They make too many mistakes, and the Spurs game just showed that. They aren't good enough for Manchester United.
    A new CB should come to replace Smalling / Jones and play with Bailly if Rojo / Lindelof don't work out.
  18. Feb 1, 2018

Distracted Steward Full Member

It’s not a defensive personnel issue.

An exposed defense always looks inadequate. It’s true of players too. Poor midfield tactics and poor patterns of play and even a top class defensive line will look poor.

We have problems, but the defensive line is pretty far down that list. Yes, Tony V and Ashley Young aren’t going to be able to hold down their spots for another full two seasons, but we need to buy that right central midfielder (for a midfield thee) long before we need to buy any defenders.
  19. Feb 1, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    I was wondering about this but really who would we buy that is better than what we have? And in the new market if we bought a new back line we’d soon catch up with that 250+ mil City spent. Lindelof and Bailly are still unknowns, combined cost of around 75-80mil not sure what the performance clauses in the Lof deal are but it’s an extra 10 mil.
    Laporte is some one I always admired but he is now off the market so McGuirre, Johnathan Tah, Dioup, Giminez, Sarr. None of those options you could guarantee would be better than what we have. Also Fosu and Tuanzebe are decent players that need looking at. Does Jose have the patience to bring them through? Or will he demand a proper line up ASAP.
  20. Feb 1, 2018

diarm Full Member

I honestly think Alderweireld is a legitimate target either this summer or next. He's already made noises about the salary situation at Spurs and if they move to activate the extension in his contract, his release fee reduces to 25mil.

Levy will sell him before letting him leave for that little. There would probably be a bidding war but he's worth a massive fee.

Other than him, I don't see the centre backs out there with the right age profile who are an improvement on Bailly and Jones.
  21. Feb 1, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Best player missing? Smalling was on the pitch so our best defender was there.
  22. Feb 1, 2018

Rojofiam New Member

Shaw - Bailly - Lindelöf - New RB as soon as Vale starts declining
  23. Feb 1, 2018

Tanel Banned

Valencia - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw

Buy an understudy for RB position. Darmian ain't good enough.
  24. Feb 1, 2018

L1nk Full Member

Best defense in the country or the best Goalkeeper in the country? I'd say it's the Goalkeeper, keeping us in matches quite a few times.

As for the defensive line, i'd get rid of Young and bring in Kieran Tierney to go alongside Shaw

Bailly is a no brainer starter for me, he is quality on his day, just needs to be less rash sometimes

Lindelof, IF, and it's a big if at this point, he can capture his Benfica form then we have another quality defender who would be a level above Jones and Smalling

Valencia is okay at RB, even if he isn't a natural, i would either bring in TFM to go alongside him and learn from him, or buy someone like Thomas Meunier who is a natural right back

If you want to talk about adding centre backs, well, can't say I personally know of any that we could go for that would be an upgrade currently, and realistically priced.
  25. Feb 1, 2018

Andy_Cole Full Member

This.
  26. Feb 1, 2018

harms Full Member Scout

Jones is not world class and he never will be but he doesn't deserve all that criticism that he's getting after one, granted, disastrous game. I struggle to think of much better defenders available.

Shaw-Jones-Bailly-Valencia is still a more than formidable defence, and our fullbacks are a bigger problem (Valencia is great, but who knows how much will he able to participate in the coming years; Shaw isn't good enough at the moment but still have the potential to overcome all those obstacles).
  27. Feb 1, 2018

RU Devil Full Member

After watching the Spurs display, it showcased how limited our CBs are when it comes to playing the ball out from the back. Multiple times you saw Davinson Sanchez & Vertonghen prompt & play out of the back, while you saw Smalling & Jones get stymied & have to play to DDG to hoof it up the field. Now, part of that is whether Jose wants his CBs to play it out of the back or not, but it's also their inherent abilities. Despite his being touted to be another the next big thing by SAF, Jones does not seem to be given the freedom to play it out of the back, and even when he was used as a CDM, most were rather unimpressed.

Having said that, I do think we have a rather good stable of CB's, but I'd still like someone like Alderweireld or even Vertonghen. If RM puts pressure on Spurs (via Kane), I could see them selling other players in order to fund him staying (to order to keep the playing budget in line). Figure 60 mil for either.

Definitely need options for the fullbacks, but the prices bantered about for frontline options seem a bit too much.
  28. Feb 1, 2018

Glanville95 Full Member

In a few years..

RB - Bailly - CB - Shaw/LB
    Currently, we’re not in need of a defensive overhaul though. Still have one of the best defences in the league.
  29. Feb 1, 2018

davidmichael Full Member

We don’t need to change much other than to buy a top class left back (Alex Sandro ?) so we have Shaw and a new left back on one side and Valencia, Fosu-Mensah and Young on the right side.

Jones has been our best centre back all season but struggles alongside Smalling, Jones has been immense alongside Bailly and Rojo. If we can play a back four of Valencia, Bailly, Jones, Sandro with a top class midfielder alongside Pogba and Matic in front of it then I’d take that over anyone else in England.
  30. Feb 1, 2018

Yagami Full Member

I just think the only priority is another defender who's comfortable on the ball to compliment Bailly as the LCB.

RB = Valencia and, if we were to buy one due to Valencia's age, Cancelo of Inter/Valencia. LB = Shaw, and if José's still not sure of him then I don't know. Sandro of Juventus? Coentrao of Sporting still looks good to me. RCB = Bailly. LCB I'm not so sure who we could get. I like Lemos of Las Palmas and Harry Maguire. Skriniar of Inter has impressed me at times, too. The ultimate would be Koulibaly of Napoli but I think it'd be unlikely that he'd leave Napoli. It'd be nice to see Tuanzebe be given a shot there as well.

Ideally: Valencia, Bailly, Koulibaly, Shaw. So one signing with the hopes that Valencia won't regress, Bailly comes back swinging, and that Shaw fulfills his potential. I'm not sure how much he'd cost, though.
  31. Feb 1, 2018

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

We need a RB, and a first choice LB if Mourinho will continue to use Young over Shaw.

A CM or two too.
  32. Feb 1, 2018

An Irish Red Full Member

I don't think any defence could have coped with the amount of space our midfield gave Spurs yesterday. They had no chance.

That's not to say that it can't be improved mind but it's not the crisis situation that some people think it is.
  33. Feb 1, 2018

AngliaRed Full Member

Valenice Bailey Rojo Shaw
  34. Feb 1, 2018

van Nistelrooy Full Member

Fabinho - Bailly - de Ligt - Grimaldo
  35. Feb 1, 2018

So Phil Jones who has been our best defender, and one of our best players all season "has to go"

...but Lindelof who has had a stinker of a start and is our lowest rated player is the future.

Right.
  36. Feb 1, 2018

peridigm Full Member

You need to check yourself in. He is a horrible LB.
  37. Feb 1, 2018

BluesJr Full Member

Valencia should not be in our team next year.
  38. Feb 1, 2018

I think he'll still be here mate, wasn't long ago Jose said he was the best RB in Europe. I reckon that's a bit strong, but really who else is there right now?
  39. Feb 1, 2018

Considering his age, he needs to be a rotation player. We need a new starter.
  40. Feb 1, 2018

BluesJr Full Member

This is the thing, I refuse to believe there isn't a player out there in world football that's not an improvement on Valencia. I'd take him as a squad player but I'm done with him being a starter. Most predictable, one footed player on the planet.