A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by NotBrendanRodgers honest, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Nov 30, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I definitely think we should have strengthened, and I think the money was available if the right player was available for the right price. What I think happened is that the club couldn't find a deal that was deemed worth it, and a decision was made to save the money and work with what we have. I personally believe we'll bring one player in january, probably central midfield.

It's a really tricky situation, but I agree that we need some strengthening, something it's not easy to do with our limited resources compared to the player profile we need.

If we look at the spending the last 5 years, never mind the other top 6 clubs. Our spending is miles behind clubs like West Ham, Crystal Palace, Everton and Leicester. I have so much respect for Pochettino and the coaching/scouting staff, but surely this is not sustainable?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

edit: if you look at 10 years back you can truly appreciate Sir Alex who managed to keep United at the top without spending anything over a 5 year period.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. Nov 30, 2018

cheeky_backheel Full Member

What were you expecting given that Sissoko was his most expensive signing before Sanchez.

Till recent, he was considered a transfer flop.
  3. Nov 30, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

It was a still stupid decision not to invest, as Spurs fans will also agree that they've been outplayed in quite a few matches and were lucky to get away with wins.

It's Pochettino's brilliance and luck that they're doing so well in PL. It's also the reason why they're on the verge of being knocked out in UCL group.
  4. Nov 30, 2018

Scroto Baggins Full Member

You need home grown players right because Dier and Davies don't count? And you were short on your CL squad?

Home grown midfielders, back in for Grealish?
  5. Nov 30, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

That's an awfully defensive post right there. My post was addressing people that have explicitly said that Pochettino rejected Madrid which is a clear distortion of the truth. If a Spurs fan says Pochettino has unfinished business at Spurs and wants to go Madrid later then thats fine. Pochettino rejecting Madrid for spurs is a fabrication, he did nothing of the sort and his words clearly indicate that.
  6. Nov 30, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Yeah, or that Kyle Walker guy.

Honestly though, I don't think we would get Grealish for a price where it would be worth the investment, but I haven't seen enough of him to make an informed opinion of his level. We really do need homegrown players though.

I do agree that the team could use the signings, but we don't have the luxury of spending right now, and if a good deal wasn't found then so be it. The club has been thinking long term for a while now, and although short term a signing would be great, I can see where the club is coming from. If we sell we'll buy and I wouldn't be surprised if Llorente leave in January for an inflated sum since so many relegation candidates could use a striker of his caliber.
  7. Nov 30, 2018

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    There was no such decision. It was simply that the players we wanted either proved to be unavailable (e.g. Martial as part of an Alderweireld deal) or priced more than we were willing to pay (e.g. Grealish).

The latter shows that we are willing to walk away from deals based on price, which is not a bad thing when it comes to future negotiations. It also shows that we had no desperate need to strengthen the squad.
  8. Nov 30, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I don’t see how my post is being defensive? I have no idea if Real contacted either Poch or Levy last summer about his availability, but there was a lot of speculation. There is a quote somewhere about Sky asking him is it was impossible to turn down Real, Poch replied, “for you maybe, but not for me”. Again I have no idea if he was approached or not.
  9. Threadmark: Arsenal 4:2 Tottenham
    Dec 2, 2018

0le Full Member

What are his latest stats against the traditional top six clubs?
  10. Dec 2, 2018

James Peril Banned

His team is great when it works, when Eriksen has the ball, but his tools in big games are non-existent. He puts out a team and that’s that. It was very obvious he needed to do something at 2-2 and emotions were all over, yet he does nothing before it’s too late.
  11. Dec 2, 2018

reddaz71 Full Member

Woodward would love Poch simply because he rarely asks for transfer funds wherever he works! Other than that if we want to get back to winning titles then in all honesty we need to avoid him!
  12. Dec 2, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

Two games in a row he’s dropped players that should’ve started. He got out of jail with Eriksen on Wednesday but not with Alderweireld today.
  13. Dec 2, 2018

Bobski Full Member

Does it also not show the regression in Alderweireld that in such a big game against a resurgent Arsenal that Poch would choose a novice ahead of him?

Pretty clear at this point that there is an upper ceiling in what he can achieve at Spurs. They have good players, but not the depth of quality or finances to sustain a genuine challenge against the more affluent teams. This Spurs era has been good but they really needed a trophy or 2 to look back on, there was a window they couldn't quite take advantage of when Leicester were winning the league and all the other top clubs were rebuilding.
  14. Dec 2, 2018

Jazz Full Member

Do not want him. He would crumble under the pressure at OT. Let's just go for someone out of left field. Someone unexpected who can just get on with their jobs without any hype or expectations. Poch belongs with Spurs, no pressure for him.
  15. Dec 2, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Lack of a squad and investment cost them today, he has to rotate and he's not got enough experienced players. Foyth is a good kid but he's only a kid, It's days like today where things like that get found out.
  16. Dec 2, 2018

OverratedOpinion Full Member

I agree, not to be unkind but things have generally gone pretty much perfectly for Spurs over the last few years and they are still a long way off. Nearly every signing they have made has paid off, having Harry Kane look destined to follow Will Keane's career trajectory and then turning into a world class striker. Spurs deserve a lot of credit for all of these things but this has been their time and it has still not been enough.
  17. Dec 2, 2018

Utdstar01 Full Member

Seemed to wait an age to make the changes when it seemed like Arsenal were just gaining more and more control. Making the subs when you're 4-2 down doesn't seem the best idea.
  18. Dec 2, 2018

Supports:
    Spurs
    Your wishful thinking is plain for all to see.

New stadium, new era baby.
  19. Dec 2, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

It possibly does. He certainly hasn’t looked as good since before last season. Still a much better defender than Juan Foyth though.

This is true. He’s yet to show that he’s more than a very good coach though. He’s unquestionably developed a lot of players. He’s got them to the stage where they are one of the best teams in the country but he’s yet to show can then get that team to win things. He’s underachieved in cups and in Europe.
  20. Dec 2, 2018

Supports:
    Spurs
    Pure knee-jerkism on your part: Spurs lose a tough away game - the first game we've lost following 6 straight wins - and suddenly we've hit it our "upper ceiling. It's a flimsy assertion.
  21. Dec 2, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Spurs were too vulnerable on the flanks today.
  22. Dec 2, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

Look at people now pretending that he's an average manager or all those other clichés about succumbing under pressure for big clubs etc when Spurs lost away to another top 6 team.

He had a bad result against a top team away which souldn't mean nor take anything away about his credential about the calibre of manager he is. He is a top manager that should definitely be an option to look at when thinking about a new manager at United.
  23. Dec 2, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Another top 6 away game. Another bad result
  24. Dec 2, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    agreed
  25. Dec 2, 2018

Trophy Room Full Member

He's a good manager but don't want him anywhere near United.
  26. Dec 2, 2018

evil_geko Full Member

This was after two tough games in a row, so it is understandable, knee jerking in this thread is real though.

I would gladly take Poch here.
  27. Dec 2, 2018

Litch Full Member

Been good for a while and stating the obvious but they never seem to be able to step onto the next level with the kind of signings that make you think they are serious. They have so many things going for them but never seem to take advantage of them...
  28. Dec 2, 2018

Amadaeus Ooh, rock me!

Supports:
    Mauricio Pochettino
    Pochettino bought on Winks, Moura and Rose.

Emeri bought on Lacazette, Ramsey and Goudouzi that showed the difference in quality and rightfully changed the game.

Pochettino needs to realize that he doesn’t have the resources available st Spurs to compete consistently at a higher level. He is doing a great job taking this ship where it currently is.
  29. Dec 2, 2018

Vadim Full Member

:lol:

Spurs fans have been saying “new era” for decades now.
  30. Dec 2, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

Some people were just waiting for a result like this to jump on him.

Make no mistake, Pochettino is a top manager that would do wonders at United. The fact that Spurs are expected to go away to other top 6 teams and wins or at least not lose is testament of the incredible job he's done.

I think people are forgetting that Spurs aren't financially as strong as the other top teams they're competing against yet they're expected to challenge them home and away.

Give Poch United budget and he'd likely do a better job than what he's done at Spurs.

Pretty much.

People have completely forgotten that Pochettino doesn't have the resources other top 6 teams have. The fact that people have actually forgotten that and expect Spurs to go away to these top 6 side and not lose it testament enough of the incredible job he's done at Spurs.
  31. Dec 2, 2018

Vadim Full Member

@GlastonSpur keeps harping on about this new stadium like it’s going to be a deciding factor for Spurs.

Your very own north London rivals built a swanky new stadium. They’ve only won 2 FA Cups in that time and been a laughing stock the rest of it.

A new stadium doesn’t guarantee good times. Also see: West Ham.
  32. Dec 2, 2018

Park's Petrified Pooch New Member

Ironic that you’ve accused someone of a knee-jerk reaction while knee-jerking so hard about it that you’ve failed to parse the post correctly. They were talking about Alderweireld hitting the ceiling. Well done.
  33. Dec 2, 2018

cesc's_mullet Get a haircut Hippy!

Supports:
    Hawthorn Football Club
    But Tim Sherwood told me that Winks would be in a combined XI, and in fact no Gooners would make the side at all.

Jokes aside though Poch right now is going through what Wenger had to during the stadium building/transition years. They really had to add some players during the last window.
  34. Dec 2, 2018

I think what you see and what rational people see are very different things.

When wishing for clubs to falter I think there are clearly much bigger fish to fry than Spurs, especially when it comes to competition for actually winning trophies.

I know you love your new stadium and that it has 4 laser tag courses and a full sized aquarium or whatever nonsense you love to spout about it but you are still going to be a mile behind the richest clubs in the league. The amount of difference you think a stadium will make is fascinating, how has it worked out for Arsenal? Other than their comfortable win today of course.
  35. Dec 2, 2018

Also. Knee jerk? You lot have spent 3 years proving his point :lol:
  36. Dec 2, 2018

Jagga7 Full Member Scouse Lover

Yeh I'd agree with this. Especially after a tough midweek game and a pretty depleted bench. It was a uphill task today.
  37. Dec 2, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

I actually rate Winks. Think he's going to be a really good player. Tottenhams problem so far this season has been they've had disruptions with their defense and midfield non stop due to injuries. I didn't watch the game today, but using Foyth as a starter is a big step down from Alderwiereld. No doubt Foyth can become a quality player, but using young players in such big games is always risky.
  38. Dec 2, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Shocking second half, disappointing result but we move on.
  39. Dec 2, 2018

Supports:
    Spurs
    Where are United in the table? The richest club in league is effectively 9 points behind Spurs, despite having had an easier fixture list.

So the "much bigger fish to fry" amounts to scrapping it out with Watford, Brighton, Everton and Leicester City for 6th place …. so maybe time to put away the frying pan and instead think about minnows to lightly par-boil.
  40. Dec 2, 2018

Supports:
    Spurs
    Because we lost a tough away game after winning the last 6 in a row? Do me a favour.