a united question for overseas posters

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Transfer United Till I Die, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Apr 26, 2012

Transfer United Till I Die I am totally in the know, honest

I've always wondered how overseas football fans see united in the hierarchy of European football. In this country commentators and fans often lazily refer to us as "the biggest club in the world". The Forbes list, although estimates, suggest that united are immensely popular abroad but I've always regarded Real and Barca as two giants above the rest in terms of popularity, prestige and player appeal. I've never really imagined that kids in Europe grow up dreaming of playing for us. Maybe it's because, as a child of the 80s, the team I grew up following wasn't the beast it is now. We couldn't compete in England let alone the Italian, Spanish and German giants. I guess what I'm asking is, in your country, where are united considered to be in terms of size and appeal and do player's from your country consider playing for united as an ultimate goal or is it seen as a stepping stone to the traditional continental giants?

Cheers in advance if you take the time to read that and respond.
  2. Apr 26, 2012

Sir Matt Full Member

In the US, English football is on more than anything else, including MLS in most places. United are top here in terms of Europe. Barca and Madrid are getting more fans, but the English league in general is more desirable and better liked for the most part. In terms of fans, Arsenal is probably second and may have more fans than the two Spanish sides. I'm sure it's different in certain areas depending on the population, NY would have more AC/Inter fans because there are lots of Italians.

It's also generational. Older fans might be more interested in Ajax, Bayern, etc than English clubs.
  3. Apr 26, 2012

The Taurean looks like a chipmunk

Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
    Depends on people from which region you ask this question. In Asia, United would be a huge brand commercially as well as considered one of the top teams you would dream of playing for. Other traditional contenders should be Madrid, Milan, Liverpool, Barca, Bayern, Arsenal and Chelsea in recent times. Juventus is well respected as well i suppose. Majority would be United fans but for fans of other clubs, it is their team that might hold precedence. But there is no doubt United is the biggest club with only a few equals.
  4. Apr 26, 2012

davisjw Full Member

I've lived in the US for some time now. It depends on who you ask: The Hispanic community worship Barca and Real. The white community worship PL squads, mostly United.

For the PL it's (in order) United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Fulham (because of Dempsey, McBride, etc). Celtic actually has quite a following too.

What I love about football here in the States is that whenever I'm wearing a kit, someone will stop me to either talk about the game, poke fun because they support a rival team, or shout something. You can walk around with a basketball, football, or baseball shirt and no one will notice. There's a unique family-like underground community of fans. I quite like it.
  5. Apr 26, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

I would guess English clubs are more highly thought of in Asia and North America, whereas the Spanish giants are seen as bigger from Mediterranean and South American (Latin) countries. Of course I have no evidence to support this hypothesis
  6. Apr 26, 2012

Sir Matt Full Member

Yeah, I've been walking around and someone will shout "nice shirt" or whatever. United and Arsenal fans are typically a little older than Chelsea fans for obvious reasons. :lol:
  7. Apr 26, 2012

I'm particularly intrigued about the Americas. I've no idea why but I find it hard to imagine central or south American kids dream of playing in the pissing rain and living in an industrial city.
  8. Apr 26, 2012

It's a lot more acceptable for adults to wear sports shirts in the US isn't it? The prevailing attitude here tends to be that, aside from match day, you're a bit if a twat if you're over 18 and wear a football shirt.
  9. Apr 26, 2012

Eirik Raude Full Member

In Norway, English football has traditionally been the biggest, since the Norwegian National Broadcast (NRK) started showing English Premiership matches in 1969. English football might be considered bigger than Norwegian football in Norway, in terms of followers. Therefore, those who have been considered the best in England I guess has been looked upon as the biggest club in the world in Norway. Also, my generation will have had another reason to look to England, because many of the Norwegian professionals went to play for English clubs, like Solskjaer, Berg, Johnsen, Thorstvedt, Iversen, Flo, Riise, Hangeland etc. So now, United will be considered one of the best clubs in the world, along with Real Madrid and Barcelona, maybe with a couple Italian clubs and Bayern Munich not far behind. But English football still has the biggest following and the best reputation in Norway, so United naturally would have been the dream for many of the kids my age (I'm 24).
  10. Apr 26, 2012

bigredmachine Running smooth

Having lived in India, Bahrain and the United States, I've noticed peoples perception of United's standing in European football hierarchy vary a fair bit. This is also applicable to all English club's standing in this hierarchy as well.

In India and I'm guessing this might be applicable to East Asia as well, owing to the popularity of the Premier league and I guess the early kick off timings, Sky's "big 4" in England have an immense following.

In India, ESPNSTAR started promoting the Premier League heavily during the early part of the 2000s,coinciding with our's and Chelsea's success and also Liverpool's decline. This is reflected in each team's fan base with Chelsea being more popular than the scouse. United are definitely the most popular, have undoubtedly the largest fan base in India and I think many would consider playing for United as the ultimate goal. Also the language factor should really make England a dream location.

In the rest of Eastern Asia, the League started gaining popularity in the late 80s -early 90s. So United seem to be huge there, but the Galacticos and Rivaldo/Ronaldinho/Messi have made Madrid/Barca extremely popular there.

In the Middle East, the Spanish 2 and strangely the Italians are more popular than United. Newcastle are a very popular team in Bahrain. why? I don't know.

In US, I guess the Hispanic populace would prefer Barca/Madrid.

United aside, Manchester as a place seems a bit shit, why would some one who was not a United fan want to live in Manchester?
  11. Apr 26, 2012

holdsteady Hates Sir Alex Ferguson

It depends where you're from really. Lots of students (18-22) will wear a shirt around campus and that's where a lot of the words are exchanged. But unless you're actually going to see the team you're wearing's shirt/jersey it's a bit odd to do above the age of 25. But this is coming from someone that lives in the 3rd largest city in the country. I'm sure if you go to somewhere in Kansas there's no problem with wearing an NFL/MLB jersey any day of the week.
  12. Apr 26, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

We dress real casual in the midwest, if you have a shirt on the we figure you're going to church. If it's clean, it's a dress shirt.
  13. Apr 26, 2012

Sir Matt Full Member

I think people might wear them out when they're just farting around on the weekend. Largely, I wore mine around campus, matches, or when going somewhere to watch. Occasionally, I'd wear it when I wasn't doing much just because I could throw it on. Soccer jerseys are much more reasonable to wear than NFL/NBA/MLB because they're essentially a t-shirt. The others are weird. I wouldn't advocate wearing it normally though. :lol:
  14. Apr 26, 2012

Vanrouge Full Member

Manchester's not shit.

Anyway, this part of western Canada is a real immigrant mix, and my son's youth team went the last six or seven seasons named United, as voted on by the players themselves, which says something. Sure, the ethnic background of the team is predominantly European, but that has included (off the top of my head) Portuguese, Spanish, German, Danish and Italian, aside from a smaller south Asian, southeast Asian and South American contingent. Says a lot for the United name among a youthful generation, although it cannot be denied that the popularity of teams is also shared between Chelsea, Arsenal and (a distant fourth in English clubs) Liverpool, along with Barca, Madrid, Bayern, AC Milan and Juventus.
  15. Apr 26, 2012

Kaos Full Member

In the Middle East they're up there with Real Madrid in terms of popularity. Has been that way since the late 90s and has peaked during our spell of dominance from 07-09.
  16. Apr 26, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Over here in India, the PL has much more following than the other leagues and United are the most supported and highly rated club thanks to its superb marketing and obviously the success it has enjoyed. There are many who dont even watch football but are "manu" fans.

Even among the genuine fans, United has more of them than the others.

Outside the big 4 in England, its Barca and Real but game timings ensure that not many can see the games on a regular basis which is very important of you want to become the club to support anywhere.
  17. Apr 26, 2012

Well quite.

I've never really understood why football has such a poor infastructure in India. The potential there is huge, but I'm guessing a lack of faculties and general poverty are preventing the game from developing?
  18. Apr 26, 2012

Cheers for the responses guys. Off the top of my head haven't la liga just changed their kick off times to earlier in the day to allow an Asian audience to watch or have I made that up?
  19. Apr 26, 2012

manutddjw Full Member

Here in Canada, the Premier League gets the most coverage. We can watch every single game played (the games that aren't live get shown later in the day), which isn't the case with other leagues who show only 2-5 live games on the weekend. Even with this, I think that the Premier League is still neck and neck with Serie A, in terms of support.

The proper football fans of the Premier League, mostly support United, Liverpool and Arsenal. I will go as far to say, that supporters of Arsenal and Liverpool here are more loyal because theres alot of so-called supporters here that solely support United because of their success and don't really watch the games.

I think that while they don't have a huge amount of supporters here, people will acknowledge that Barcelona and Real Madrid are the biggest clubs in the world, even though they hardly ever watch their matches, and one of those clubs are someones second favourite team.
  20. Apr 26, 2012

No, Manchester isn't shit but it's not Barcelona, Madrid or Milan either. The problem we have now is that you can get players to play anywhere for enough money, but it you're offering a bit less or the same as others the climate and lifestyle here becomes an issue. If you're Scandinavian, northern European or north American it's probably not a big deal. If you're from Latin countries it is.
  21. Apr 26, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Interesting thread.

It's amazing how far the PL has reached and in such a big way over the last 2 decades
  22. Apr 26, 2012

Rams extremely handsome, intelligent, gay and talented

In the Netherlands United is considered as one of the biggest 5 teams in the world (or the biggest 5 in their eyes): Barca, Madrid, AC Milan, Juve and United.
  23. Apr 26, 2012

Why do you think that historically domestic football in Canada has never attracted much interest? Is that changing now with the mls expansion sides?
  24. Apr 26, 2012

No inter?

I stayed in a holiday resort during the cl semis against barca and utd in 07/08. Our hotel was predominantly filled with Dutch and Russians and I found that the former were almost exclusively supporting barca, I guess for the obvious reasons of cruyff, rijkaard etc.
  25. Apr 26, 2012

manutddjw Full Member

I think it has to do with the fact that it is just bad football. People who've grown up watching the Premier League or Serie A, will find watching the MLS pretty difficult.

The truth is Canada has alot of people who love football, probably because we are an immigrant country. I know in my area we support Toronto FC, as our Champions League game drew close to 50,000 people. We'll support the team, but clubs from other leagues will still be our favourites because we've supported them longer and the league is much better.
  26. Apr 26, 2012

Theon Full Member

Manchester's awesome, it isn't shit at all. It's a great city.
  27. Apr 26, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

If you're posting from UK or Ireland isn't every other poster not in these places overseas posters?
  28. Apr 26, 2012

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

I liked this graphic about the United Liverpool game.

[​IMG]
  29. Apr 26, 2012

That's astonishing.
  30. Apr 26, 2012

Kaos Full Member

So North Koreans watch the EPL then?
  31. Apr 26, 2012

Sorry?
  32. Apr 26, 2012

I very much doubt it.
  33. Apr 26, 2012

MalteseRedDevil Full Member

Manchester United in Malta is Huge. Since local football is so bad each young football fan grows up supporting one of the major clubs in the world. Mainly United, Liverpool, Juventus Inter and Milan. Support for these clubs in Malta is pretty much fanatical.

Not too many madrid and barca fans on the island. But that is slowly changing as young kids are now growing up watching players like messi and Ronaldo play for them.
    Chelsea and City supporters have suddenly started to appear over the last few years but its still a minority.
  34. Apr 26, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Just that Great Britain and Ireland are Islands. So if you're going to Germany, Norway or USA you're going overseas. So I'm not sure if your original question is pointed to people outside of Europe or just outside these two islands.
  35. Apr 26, 2012

Traub Full Member

In South Africa the Premier League is tops. It's what was originally shown on tv here and is hugely popular. I would say the order of support is: United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea.

I think that the other leagues have only been broadcasting over here for a relatively shorter period of time which means that most supporters had already picked a team.
  36. Apr 26, 2012

Amir Full Member

The Premier League is the most watched in Israel, with several matches shown every week, and United are easily the best supported English side in the country. The most supported club of all leagues is dependent on success. There were periods United were number 1, in recent years Barcelona had the biggest pulling power, though even now the PL is the most popular. In general, there's not much difference in how United is viewed compared with Barcelona or Real.

Liverpool also maintain a pretty large support base in Israel, certainly compared with their success over the last two decades.
  37. Apr 26, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Poland- United here are pretty much a big club here , I'd say that Polish fans who follow a foreign club choose United quite often. Barca, Madrid and United dominate the stage with 60% market share so to speak. Other club? Both Milan based clubs, Juve, Arsenal, Dortmund (three Poles and that) . As Polish players at top clubs are a rarity, clubs that do employ them get occasional peaks in popularity...that's why at some point Spurs (rasiak :lol:) and Liverpool (dudek) were quite popular.

EPL is generally a popular league, although Spanish and German are at least equally popular. Unfortunately for humanity Polish Ekstraklasa is great marketing -wise (and shambolic sport-wise) that is why it wins much attention.
  38. Apr 26, 2012

Harold_Giles Full Member

In Iceland we have a specific TV station that's only for the Premier League.
    Every game is shown live (except when there are more than 5 games running at the same time - since there are only 4 sub-channels)

It's great!
  39. Apr 26, 2012

Ish84045 raisa84045

Huge in South Africa. The biggest. Probably followed by Pool, Arsenal, Barca, Madrid, Chelsea...then the Italians, Munich, Doncaster Rovers and then City.
  40. Apr 26, 2012

Ok, I get you. I think it's directed at anyone outside of England.