Academy for managers?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by walkinhop, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Feb 13, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

We've seen the difficulties when it comes to replacing a manager. We've also seen that even great players don't always fit, dare i say it, the philosophy of the new gaffer. It's such a shock for the whole organization and failures leave long-lasting marks.

Players academies have been operational and successful for years and my question is, why can't we have one for managers.

Sure, there are the different age group coaches and assistants but couldn't it be more organized. Teach them from younger age about the psychology of the players, tactics, all the good stuff. The best of the class can remain at the club in some capacity until their time comes to be employed in friendlies off-season or send them in loan type deals to lower league and foreign clubs.

It just seams like the club would be able to gain stability in the long-run.
  2. Feb 13, 2018

Skills Snitch

You can hardly teach someone leadership. Same with tactics or else every team would be playing the same thing.

Professional sports are also notoriously cliquey. It's why you see the same managers going around in circles. Try throwing in someone who hasn't 'earned it's by rising through the ranks.
  3. Feb 13, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

Leadership has been, if not thought, then nurtured in the army for ages. The tactics comment i don't understand. I don't mean teach them all one system but rather how systems work, the connections between the positions, the different phases of play, etc. Phases of play, PhaseofPlay...ahahha
  4. Feb 13, 2018

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

In actual fact you can.

The difficulty is that leadership and management are both linked and also totally different.

Generally speaking you get people who are good at one or the other and very rarely both.

In footballing terms...a Director of Football would take the 'leadership' role and the Manager would take the 'management' role.

With Academies for Managers...it's a concept that has been around in the business world for decades so could easily work in football.

You have the FA/UEFA coaching courses for the technical side of the development and a skills/mindset based Academy for the people management side.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work.
  5. Feb 13, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

The one thing i'm curious about is how the contracts would be handled.
  6. Feb 13, 2018

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

In what way?
  7. Feb 13, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

I guess it just feels weird talking about a manager going on loan but i suppose it shouldn't.
  8. Feb 13, 2018

JustFootballFan Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same

Supports:
    Liverpool
    What do you think a coaching license is?
    Who trains the youth teams and lower league teams?

It´s just a matter of giving them an opportunity. To promote from within. Logically you want the best coaches for your youth academy and player development, so it should be a natural that promotion occurs from within regularly. Most clubs just don´t have the balls to elevate some no-name, when they can just promote some former big time player that will please the fans short term.