Alan Smith

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Twisted_Woody, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Aug 13, 2009

MUFCgal Full Member

I like Alan Smith. Always gave 100% and got some a few important goals and played great in the 7-1 mauling of Roma. Plus his performance against Chelsea where he sliced down 3 of their players single-handedly in the space of 5 seconds. I loved that.
  2. Aug 13, 2009

anything about now MUFC lad living in a matriel world

Don't you think that is an obligation for every player under contract? :smirk: I know what you are saying, but I always felt that Smudger's work rate was mostly to compensate for his technical abilities, or lack thereof. He had his uses, but I never really endeared to him tbh.
  3. Aug 13, 2009

MUFCgal Full Member

He's the same as a Park or a Tevez, his work-rate is his strongest quality.
  4. Aug 13, 2009

Drifter American

Never rated him before we bought him don't rate him now.Chalk that up as one of SAF poor purchases.
  5. Aug 13, 2009

vijay Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo

Never rated him and still dont, yet applauded his good performances in his first couple of months with us. As usual Smith was kicking around for a while but soon faded when the season went up. Overall an average footballer at best that went on a downward spiral...Still cannot figure out the reason on why Fergie went for him.
  6. Aug 13, 2009

FranklyVulgar Full Member

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
    he's shite.
  7. Aug 13, 2009

kouroux Full Member

That goal in the community shield
  8. Aug 13, 2009

bazhef Full Member

i put him down as the main reason we beat roma 7-1.
    his constant harrassing of their defenders from the first whistle got to them and his goal was fully deserved.
  9. Aug 13, 2009

Boss Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker

I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
    I don't think so, let's not overrate his performances now
  10. Aug 13, 2009

SittingBull That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u

At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai

For Kleberson and Djemba, i give them the benefit of the doubt as they have decent careers prior to joining Manchester United, and probably couldn't adapt to playing for such a high profile club, as well as settling down. As for Smith, other than guts and determination, i've rarely seen a player that is so painfully out of depth playing for us, and i mean it. I know its not going to do down well with the caftards here, but he isnever good enough for us, be it striker or midfield.(don't even bring up his pathetic scoring record for Leeds) With regards to the game against Chelsea, one swallow does not make a summer. He far from dominated the midfield battle. All he did was to put in some crunching tackles and unsettled the opposition. The way everybody was going about him, i would have thought he had put in a "Iniesta or Essien".
  11. Aug 13, 2009

CLK_FPC Fists of Fury

I really liked Smith because he really let it all hang out when he played, it was how he broke his leg against Liverpool.
    A week or two before he left us he checked into the hotel I was staying in, in Dubai. I really regret not telling him that I appreciated his performances, even if they were limited, for the club.
  12. Aug 13, 2009

Xander45 Know-It-All Champion May 2009

He was the kind of player we love, a workaholic. Sadly he didn't have the technique or pace to be a Wayne Rooney but he was a ray of light during a very poor time for the club, by our standards.

His two best performances will be remembered as his DM role against Chelsea where i think he hacked everyone at some point during the match. And the Roma game where he kept the entire Roma back four occupied.

He was doing a good job in the DM role before his leg break and scared the opposition with his tackling. But he was too limited a player to really offer us much more than that as after his leg break he seemed to forget how to finish.

Oh yeah and his goals against Norwich, and Arsenal in the Community Shield were stunners, sadly those moments were too far between. A workaholic but was never "United standard", whatever that means.
  13. Aug 13, 2009

Sam Full Member

I still to this day don't have a clue how he managed to not get sent off in that game against Chelsea. He just went round hacking everyone. Oh well, it worked and we won.
  14. Aug 13, 2009

Merman Guest

+1
  15. Aug 13, 2009

Merman Guest

I have to quote this
  16. Aug 13, 2009

ooeat0meoo Member of the Muppet Empire

My Happy Place - So Don't Be Fucking With Me!
    Very cool - Mr. Woody,

No bio would be complete without a good mention of SAF's experiment with Smith in the midfield. It mighta worked if Smith hadn't been injured so often. He didn't have the time to settle in. His willingness to contribute - and it was quite an effort - might have exasperated his injury problems.

No bio of Alan Smith is complete without this photo:

[​IMG]

Says everything about the man and his passion for the game.
  17. Aug 13, 2009

Cling Bak Hi, I'm Barry Scott

He favoured a United reserve game in 2005 so that he could gain more experience in midfield over an England friendly. It might even have been that 4-1 thrashing from Denmark, it was around that time.

I remember him for his goal against Norwich, lovely control and volley; the equaliser against Blackburn; his equaliser from the bench against Boro shortly after; his MOTM performance against Chelsea where he was everywhere and his involvement when ended Arsenal's undefeated run - most would have shot when they were played through but he squared for Rooney to tap in. His comeback and goal against Roma was also sweet.

I really liked Smudger, he just probably lacked the extra bit of class that was needed to really make it with us. But he tried his heart out and was popular with fans as a result.
  18. Aug 13, 2009

Cling Bak Hi, I'm Barry Scott

Yes. But sadly it isn't the case.

V.Nistelrooy didn't always try as hard as 100%, for example.

An example of a player who's strongest/one of their stronges attributes is giving 100% to the cause and making the most of their ability (saying 'limited' or 'lack of' ability makes it sound like they're lucky to be a pro footballer, it isn't that, it's that others have stronger technical qualities) is Alan Smith.

Whereas Rooney always gives 100% but it is 3rd, 4th or 5th down the list of his greatest attributes.
  19. Aug 13, 2009

zain Believe

Hardly the same...

Smith was heard singing Munich chants etc by many from the United Yorkshire supporters club during his time at Leeds..

Also quite often referred to us as scum even whilst playing for us from the whispers I've heard from a few!

Very very different to the likes of Rio or Eric..whereas Smith was born and bred Leeds scum...

The only signing so far I've disagreed with SAF on from a principle point of view..

[​IMG]
  20. Aug 13, 2009

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

He was young at the time and I think he said himself he grew up abit coming to united....

I think he was unfortunate to an extent. There was never the belief that he was a good enough goalscorer. I think he had good moments, bad moments and his stay was pretty short.

I think we were right to sell him but he was unfortunate that after a good start he was tried more in midfield. To be fair to him, he never moaned an I wish him well at newcastle.
  21. Aug 13, 2009

zain Believe

Something about that statement just doesn't seem right!? :lol:
  22. Aug 13, 2009

Man-United Full Member

Didn't want him anywhere near or club. I find it hard to like him, becuause he's a leeds scum. Sorry Alan.
  23. Aug 13, 2009

B Cantona Desperate

You were unfairly goaded into that so I'll let it slide :)

Witty. Hopefully you don't actually need me to explain the difference between the two
  24. Aug 13, 2009

Sir A1ex Full Member

I'd been in London for a NYE party the night before that one... trains were totally fecked getting back up to Mancs (about 6 hourse including bus replacements), and I missed the first half (and the goal) - had to do a lap of OT until I found a service door open and got in. Felt rough as feck, and saw a shit 40 minutes of football, with a near silent crowd.

Ironically, it being New Years Day, it wasn't the weekend.
  25. Aug 13, 2009

FranklyVulgar Full Member

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
    I'll bet anyone right now that Smith will break his leg again going into tackles the way he does, idiot.
  26. Aug 13, 2009

MrMarcello Full Member

How is 7m for a fourth choice striker considered a bad buy? :confused:

Some posters on her act like the club spent a small fortune for someone that was expected to carry the club to dizzying heights. Odd thinking.
  27. Aug 13, 2009

MrMarcello Full Member

[​IMG]
  28. Aug 13, 2009

samabachan Banned

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
    Thought he played quite well in midfield for Newcastle against West Brom the other day. Seems to have learned how to position himself better. Looked much better than Nolan at any rate. Hope he gets back to a good standard again.
  29. Aug 13, 2009

samabachan Banned

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
    That wasn't a huge fee but it wasn't the equivalent of 7m now. It was still a substantial sum. I mean Michael Owen went to Real Madrid for £8m around the same time I think. Although I can't remember the exact timings.
  30. Aug 13, 2009

Tumbling-Dice Caf Nostradamus

Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
    Not to mention we got the vast majority of that back when we sold him.
  31. Aug 13, 2009

Ekeke Full Member

Good dominating central midfielder.

In the championship.
  32. Aug 13, 2009

ALX8725 reyalP maeT htuoY

Take Me Home, United Road. To The Place I Belong,
    it's funny how when it comes Ronaldo threads, plenty of posters come through the thread with "who cares, he's not a United player anymore. I don't care." yet there's so much input in this Alan Smith thread....

what's with the double standards everyone :confused:
  33. Aug 13, 2009

Sir A1ex Full Member

It's true - I've never seen a Ronaldo thread make it to a second page!

Oh, hang on
  34. Aug 13, 2009

ALX8725 reyalP maeT htuoY

Take Me Home, United Road. To The Place I Belong,
    :(
  35. Aug 13, 2009

Twisted_Woody Full Member

I asked for opinions regarding a wiki entry. Something I hope to have done within the next week.

Perhaps people read the call for opinions and thought they'd share theirs.

I also specifically said "during his time with United" to keep it on topic for this forum.
  36. Aug 13, 2009

Bearded but no genius New Member

There is a whole lot of sense in what the man says up there.

People forget that Smith was a stop-gap striker signing, made prior to Euro 2004 (on the 26th of May - that's only 4 days after the FA Cup Final). Forlan was very much looking like leaving and considered a flop, and we needed a striker to fill a gap as insurance to Ole's continuing problems and to gambling that Ruud would be forever-fit.

The need for Smith can be illustrated just by reminding everyone of the events of the early season. Come July, Ole had to fly home from pre-season training to have surgery and didn't play a single game all year. Forlan got his move as well, which worked out fantastically for revitalising his career, but meant there was one less striker on our books. Bellion was fast. An exhausted Ruud van Nistelrooy did get injured with a "sportsman's hernia" not on the pitch, but over his honeymoon. Even though we did end up signing Wayne Rooney at the end of August, he too was injured and didn't play until the end of September.

As has been mentioned already, Smith's best time at United was when he was needed to carry the team prior to the arrival and emergence of Wayne Rooney, but especially when even Ruud was injured. His best moments, aside from bleeding to death on the pitch, do involve things like saving our arses against the likes of Norwich and Blackburn. Part of the problem is that these are not hugely glamorous occurrences and I think some of us would rather pretend that a club of our "stature" never be in such situations. But we were in a bit of a shaky patch for a little bit there, just because of a confluence of bad events. I still think that year's team was better than it gets credit for, but had no self belief partly because of the start it endured.

Rooney was planned as our signing for the next year. Smith was the fill-in until then. If he flourished, then all the better. Then Rooney's performances at the Euros happened, Newcastle United came in, and everything changed.

But people tend to forget that Smith was on the books prior to the Euros even starting (they started on 12 June, Smith was signed 26 May), and it was there that it became clear that Wayne Rooney was destined for immediate international superstardom.

As for my memories, well, one of the incidents that sums him up the most for me actually occurred before he even kicked a ball for us. That's the time he managed to lock himself out of the training ground while staying after hours while everyone else was off at the Euros, and there's poor Alan Smith working his arse off and then at the end of it stuck banging on the door having forgotten the security code.

It one of those strange prophetic moments that at the same time illustrated the extreme work ethic he has, his lack of guile, and the utter lucklessness of the next three years.

By the way, speaking of Smith, this turned up in the news after the Leeds/Newcastle game a couple of weeks ago regarding his transfer, and I thought it was interesting:

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/lorimer-the-facts-about-smith-move-20090730_2247585_1738586

The new story so that he can regain his Leeds Legend status is that the only reason he went to us is because we were paying the lump sum up front and the board told him that he should go to MUFC no matter what he thought of them - for the sake of Leeds United. Every other club wanted to pay over time in installments (it was only 7m) and they begged Smith to put aside his hatred of United to join them and 'take one for the team' to try to keep Leeds out of administration.

So poor Alan Smith was sent at gunpoint to United. He only did it because he loves Leeds so much. He was a victim of the evil rich Manchester United.

I love the way Leeds current board always feels the need to distract their fans from current woeful performances by digging up Ridsdale and now finding a new way to have a go at money-bags United.

Of course, they also had the need for crowd control and such at the match with Smith back for the first time ever, but the story smacks of "ignore the fact we screw everything up, remember these guys!"
  37. Aug 13, 2009

Bearded but no genius New Member

Threads entitled "Ronaldo: do you know what colour of eye makeup he iz wearing 2nite 4 Reel so I can wear the same becuz I luv him dee bezt!" do not belong in the United forum anymore as that is just the current goings on of a former United player.

This is an historical thread about a player's time at United, in the United forum.
  38. Aug 13, 2009

rednev God Save My Gracious Queen

Why?

So because he happened to take a knock which resulted in bleeding, it somehow shows how passionate he is?
  39. Aug 13, 2009

sammsky1 Full Member

1) That he was NOT the next Roy Keane
    2) when he broke his leg I felt sick (and have never hated Liverpool sum more)
    3) 'For Smudge'
    4) Crackerjack goal vs Roma
    5) Good honest player who gave his all but was ultimately not United class
  40. Aug 13, 2009

zain Believe

apparently him taking a knock makes everyone forget it's totally fine and justified for him to mock those who lost their lives for this club and be an utter cnut.