Alan Smith

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Twisted_Woody, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Jun 7, 2011

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

One of Fergies oddest signings. I am not a big fan of the term not good enough for Utd. Because sometimes players can do well for us without being top quality.

But Alan Smith was not only not top quality but looked so far out of his depth at times (Midfield especially) it was almost embarrassing.

A forgettable stint with the club and would put him at the same status as Dion Dublin (When his legs weren’t broken he never looked a Utd player) and Ralph Milne
  2. Jun 7, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    You can see why Fergie signed him.

He was a young English player - with PL experience - who had looked the business during Leeds' brief stint in the Champion's League, had been immense for them in the season they got relegated and was young enough to take his game to another level at a club like United. It's easy to forget he was still only 23 when we signed him.
  3. Jun 7, 2011

RedPhil1957 Full Member

he also has/had the temperament that Fergie loves, always gives his all and never gives up. He was different to what we had up front at the time as he liked playing back to goal. As a striker he did ok for us, scored a few good goals especially when we had loads of injuries.
  4. Jun 7, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Yep exactly. And THAT header alone vs. Wes Brown probably convinced SAF to bring him in.

He actually did ok up front, the Roma game was his finest moment in football.
  5. Jun 7, 2011

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Started his debut season very well in the absence of RVN, Saha and the yet to be signed Rooney, I remember the stormer he had in midfield against Chelsea when we beat them at OT 1-0 with a Fletcher header, had a blinding game against Roma in the 7-1 as well

Some players seemingly just cease to be even half useful once they leave OT (Nicky Butt being a good example), doesn't mean they weren't good when they played for us though
  6. Jun 7, 2011

Nicky Butt was twice the player Smith was even after he left Utd
  7. Jun 7, 2011

SecondFig Full Member

Didn't a broken leg really knacker him for us? I always thought he did OK when he first joined us, then injury and other signings pushed him back into midfield where he simply wasn't good enough.
  8. Jun 7, 2011

He was never the same after he broke his leg alright.

His performances were mixed before that, to be fair, but took a steep downward trend when he came back from his broken leg and never picked up again.
  9. Jun 7, 2011

SecondFig Full Member

I know he was never stellar, but I do remember him being alright, a bit like a Dirk Kuyt (great attitude, technically slightly lacking) and scoring a few. Then he broke his leg and couldn't buy a goal, was put into midfield seemingly on the logic that a Keano-style attitude would make up for being deficient in all of Keane's technical ability.
  10. Jun 7, 2011

SecondFig Full Member

One of his first goals for Utd
  11. Jun 7, 2011

He played a fair bit in midfield for us before he broke his leg though. But yeah, he never really looked the part in that role, apart from one or two really good performances (most notably in that memorable game against Chelsea - when he was MOTM)

One of the great myths surrounding Alan Smith is that it was Fergie who first tried to convert him into a midfielder. It was actually the position he played throughout most of his final season at Leeds.
  12. Jun 7, 2011

esmufc14 9 Pages of infractions

He was epic v Chelsea when we beat them 1-0. Always gave his all which I and I assume everyone else appreciates but he was out of his depth if we're being honest.
  13. Jun 7, 2011

Tribec Full Member

I have to say I feel sorry for Smith, he came as a forward and did well in that role. It wasn't his fault that we bought Rooney late in the transfer window, and with due respect to Smith he was no Wayne Rooney even with Rooney so young.

He was as someone has stated a player cut in the mould that Fergie likes, a battling forward who can play with his back to goal, and score goals. Fergie probably saw in Smith what we had had with Hughes, though I suspect pre-injury and before his reinvention as a midfielder he was a more consistent goal scorer than Hughes. However injuries meant that we never saw the best out of Smith, and his best days were obviously with Leeds.

Credit to him for his recovery from that injury it was horrific, and whilst recently we've seen many praise Hargreaves for his fight to regain fitness, we should praise Smith for his fight also, it would have been easy for him to quit, but he came back and tried to do a job for United. Not once did he complain, not once did he stop trying to make himself a midfielder. Whilst we can question the judgement of that attempt by Fergie, we shouldn't blind ourselves that we in our eyes saw him as a replacement for Keane, who by our own judgements in here often gets put into "our greatest teams". How do you replace a legend? How do you that when you are playing in a position you are not used to? We pehaps as fans shouldn't in some cases, like Smith and Dublin claim they were bad buys or not good enough, as circumstances meant that we see both of there United careers as failures, but neither were.
  14. Jun 7, 2011

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

No he wasn't.
  15. Jun 7, 2011

SecondFig Full Member

Didn't he play more on the right for Leeds though? I know he played midfield before us, but I didn't think he ever really played as a holding midfielder until after his leg break
  16. Jun 7, 2011

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

I think the injury was obviously a moment we can look at as the start of the end. He had some good moments and I think he was appriciated for his efforts. At the end of the day, he had a decent spell here and I think both sides benefitted from it.
  17. Jun 7, 2011

He played mainly on the right at Leeds but played in centre-mid a fair bit too.

He hardly played for us at all after his leg-break, in any position. I'm pretty sure the few appearances he did make were all as a striker (including, memorably, the 7-1 mauling of Roma)
  18. Jun 7, 2011

samabachan Banned

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
    He was an attacking centre mid at leeds though, almost like the Role Rooney plays when he's up front with Hernandez. It was different when Fergie wanted to play him as a midfield anchor.
  19. Jun 7, 2011

Drifter American

He was a bit of a cult hero on here.
  20. Jun 7, 2011

davisjw Full Member

Had the problem of not being good enough to compete with Saha, Ruud, Rooney and then spent his time as a journey man bouncing around positions that never suited him. A prime example of Fergie not always being right when he tries to redevelop a player...

Had heart, lacked skill, scored a couple beauties. We've had plenty of them in the past. Smith stands out for his broken leg, a terrible injury that curtailed his career greatly. He was never going to be "the one", but without that broken leg he'd be doing a lot better than he is now without a doubt.
  21. Jun 7, 2011

Aboutreika18 Full Member

I thought he was decent in a creative sense when he played up front after his leg break. Can remember him having a hand in a few goals e.g. cross to Rooney in the FA Cup semi against Watford and the crossfield ball to Ronaldo which lead to the penalty against City.
  22. Jun 7, 2011

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

Not very close to Rooney's abilities but he had some energy to step up and give solid perfomances.

I will never forget his matches against Chelsea and Roma. Pure class that was.
  23. Jun 7, 2011

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

unlucky that he had bad injuries and was expected to fill in for a shit midfield at that time

Did well when played as a forward, especially in the early days. Remember his cracking goal against Norwich too
  24. Jun 7, 2011

Widnes Full Member

He had actually very little time for United playing as a centre forward, when he did he actually did well and was a good back up.
  25. Jun 7, 2011

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

The bottom line is Smith was never a United player, depsite some good performances.
  26. Jun 7, 2011

You saying that because of Leeds or just not good enough?
  27. Jun 7, 2011

Feeky Magee TFD

He was, he played for us between 2004 and 2007.
  28. Jun 7, 2011

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

:lol:
  29. Jun 7, 2011

Forever Red Full Member

I liked him what he lacked in skill he made up for in attitude and commitment and always gave 100% . Had a cracker of a game to end the 'Invincible' Gooners unbeaten run at Old Trafford too . His head should be cast in bronze just for that :devil:
  30. Jun 7, 2011

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

Just not good enough. A player we should have never thought about looking at, let alone signing.
  31. Jun 7, 2011

Claymore Full Member

Whilst that was a special night and he did hussle their defenders and pressure, it was actually the Chelsea game that was his best for us IMO. The Roma game was just something you'll rarely see, another level of performance where most of if not all the team were on form.

Chelsea at home when they had Mourinho we only beat them 1-0 thanks to the looping Fletcher header but he was MOTM that night, he owned them. A striker put into CM just because of his strong attitude, yet he manage to batter whoever they had pretty much on his own, think it was Lampard, Makele and Essien.

Shame we didn't get to see more of those performances. Up front was his proper position though and he didn't get much of a chance IMO, he wasn unlucky as we had Rooney and all the rest. Didn't we sign him first but then the chance for Rooney popped up? Van Nistelrooy as well, would be hard for anyone. He started brightly. Shades of Owen about his career as a striker IMO.
  32. Jun 7, 2011

niMic Curvy gay

I'll pretty much repeat my original post in this thread. I loved him. But he wasn't good enough.
  33. Jun 7, 2011

misterredmist Full Member

I have to say I thought Smith was excellent for us. Even his scoring record at the sheepsh*ggers would suggest he was never prolific, but he could do a job and perform against top opposition.

Having arrived at the time when we were enduring our most barren spell in the Prem, I thought his up and at 'em attitude and willingness to get stuck in was just what we needed.

Sme say his attitude towards United was suspect because of his Leeds background, I have to disagree, he could quite easily have "hidden" in games if that was the case, however, I thought his attitude and effort for us was exemplary.

Yes, his bizarre horror injury at the dippers ( where he had to suffer the clowns rocking his meat wagon en-route to hospital ) did do for him. By his own admission, he reckoned that the injury cost him 2% of his capacity to perform at the top level and he said that was the difference between a top Prem Club and CL regular, and a regular performer at a "middling" team like Toon.

I believe he has a year left on his Toon contract. but they are keen to offload as he is one of their top earners.

Not everyone can do a "Scholes" and convert seemlessly from striker to centre-mid, so he was found limited in ability there, but he was a "hit" for me, I'll always regard his efforts for us with the utmost respect.

Good luck Smudge !
  34. Jun 7, 2011

Eriku Full Member

One of the most unique goals I've ever seen was his tackle from behind in the penalty box away against Fulham, beautifully nicking the ball with what seemed like a rash and stupid tackle at first, and then slotting it from a very narrow angle.

Can't fault him for not making it, but he was a handy player while we had him and when he was fit.
  35. Jun 7, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Why does he get so much grief from United fans? I think he did well for us for a while before we started dicking him around in central midfield.

That along with the injury against Liverpool really ruined his time with us.
  36. Jun 8, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    He was a striker for Leeds and we played him mostly in midfield.

not his fault really.

thought he was a model professional and did his best in the position he was told to play.
  37. Jun 8, 2011

olesmyhero Emmy Moses

He's not scored a goal since he left us has he? Thought I read that somewhere.
  38. Jun 8, 2011

gbgary Full Member

i liked him. thought he and rooney had a bit of chemistry on the pitch.
  39. Jun 8, 2011

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn

Supports:
    Saints
    Great post. Says it all.
  40. Jun 8, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Agreed