Alas poor Carrick...WTF has happened?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Carl, Aug 28, 2010.

1. May 9, 2011

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

Gerrard is the typical English midfielder, all brawn little brains.

Liverpool ruined him, they gave him too much responsibilities at a young age, which meant he often did everything he could to win games, and ignoring the tactics because they didn't have good enough players to match up.

It became a habit which Rafa tried to rid off but didn't work out. It's why Gerrard continuously drifts centrally when played as a winger, and needs Alonso and Mascherano protecting him to look good in midfield.

It's no surprise that his best form for Liverpool in recent seasons has seemed him given a free role behind the striker where he's basically asked to just attack.
  2. May 9, 2011

I'm always right Banned

to be fair to Hargreaves he did have a cracking tournament and I can understand why some might say he has "excelled", but Parker and Barry :confused: speechless.
  3. May 9, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

When did Huddlestone and Parker become England regulars?

Anyway it's England's loss and United's gain Carrick not being picked.
  4. May 9, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Think you need to re-read his post there Sults.
  5. May 9, 2011

I did say he had a couple of excellent games in that tournament.
  6. May 9, 2011

Raees Full Member

If you're good enough, the referee doesn't matter
    Personally I think the arrival of Wilshere and hopefully the future promotion of McEachren/Cleverley into the senior set up, the time has never been more ripe for Carrick to make his name in the England set up.

These are just the type of players to bring the best out of him, but Capello's too short-sighted to even envisage that.
  7. May 9, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Yeah I was just trying to clarify the fact that those games you spoke of were in a tournament, and because of that people always remember a player "having a great tournament" rather than a great few games.
  8. May 9, 2011

I'm still lost Sharky. Please explain what he's trying to explain.
  9. May 9, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Parker is right now a starter but that is besides the point. My point is those are the only other midfielders who suit Carrick's game apart from Wilshere. Carrick won't be getting games for England till those fellas establish themselves permanently.

I assure you England lose nothing when they don't pick him. It's United that gains.
  10. May 9, 2011

Him partnering Fletcher this season has seen Fletcher doing more of the attacking though, which was why we struggled earlier in the season. Don't know if it was deliberate because of Carrick's bad form, but I would have thought between Fletcher and Carrick, Carrick would be the one tasked with taking charge of the offence.

About the Scholes bit, he was brilliant for much of last year and started having a slump around November(can't remember when)?

06/07 midfield pairing of them was one of the best and underrated partnership we have had.
  11. May 9, 2011

Lynott New Member

The fact that I think Carrick would be good in Italy is not necessarily a compliment. The slower pace would suit him. He is not my type of player.
    Scholes is my type of player. Please do't talk about him and Carrick as if they are/were the same type of player.
  12. May 9, 2011

Not seen much of McEchren, but still can't understand what Cleverley has achieved even at club level to be talked about as a future England international.
  13. May 9, 2011

Having to cover for Gerrard/Parker would mean Carrick running out of gas before the game ends.

Regarding style, it's why I mentioned that Carrick is more suited to other European countries. He'll thrive in the Italian/Spanish set up and it'll stay that way until England finally decides to stop looking back and do something about catching up with the majority of the world.
  14. May 9, 2011

I said compared to Carrick. Carrick when used in the role has been frankly shit.

And has out performed anything Carrick has done for England in those few appearances.

:lol:
    That's like saying Carrick is shit as Milan showed back in 2007.
  15. May 9, 2011

They're not the same type of player, they're both just very non-English in the sense that they don't seek to outmuscle/outrun opponents unlike the majority of English players now.
  16. May 9, 2011

You can't seriously place Parker in the same realm as Gerrard. Parker is like Fletcher. He doesn't abandon his partner to the gods. Carrick would do very well alongside him.

It's not about looking back. It's about changing style. English football for years has lacked sophistication. That is why the have never understood the importance of holding players and proper defensive midfielders of the Gilberto Silva ilk. They have always preferred all action blood and thunder types like Gerard and Lampard. That is why Hoddle back in the day was harldy liked. As was the case with Scholes who was under used. Plus why many of them claim Becks is overrated
  17. May 9, 2011

Fiskey Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

I think Carrick has actually done very well when playing for England.
  18. May 9, 2011

Parker has excelled in England last few games. So did Hargreaves when he was fit and playing for England . I will also repeat what I said earlier. As compared to Carrick.
  19. May 9, 2011

This season for West Ham,he's often trying to do everything himself which has left his midfield exposed. He's not as bad as Gerrard in this aspect but if it becomes a habit...

The second bit I agree with you. What I was referring to looking back was the English fondess of overcoming technique with physicality. They need to understand that 99 out of 100 times, a team of footballers will win a team of athletes.
  20. May 9, 2011

I'm out...

When Chief starts multi-quoting it's time to do a runner.
  21. May 9, 2011

It wont. He won't be in a side as bad as this West Ham has been next season.
  22. May 9, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Ok then.

Barry is shit (full stop)

The German game simply highlighted it, he's a plodder and he's fecking turd.
  23. May 9, 2011

I honestly think Carrick has been wank for England in almost every game he's been selected :lol:
  24. May 9, 2011

He still beats Carrick in an England shirt. That's for sure.
  25. May 9, 2011

The England National Team.

Ok, I'm just wumming with this.
  26. May 9, 2011

Exactly.
  27. May 9, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Last few games, he's only fecking played TWO. Chief just spouting nonsense again I see.

Carrick has also had a couple of cracking games for England, if you're trying to say Carrick has never played 2 good games for England then you're fecking mental.

BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Germany 1-2 England

edit: my Ghana bit was wrong, Parker was actually benched in England's last game. Of Parker's TWO caps in 5 years he started just one game... this means EXCELLED in the Chief's eyes :lol:
  28. May 9, 2011

Aboutreika18 Full Member

Conversely, I thought Carrick was excellent against Germany when England won in a friendly in Berlin a couple of years ago.
  29. May 9, 2011

Its difficult to remember because his performances are so spread out due to lack of selection but I remember around his début when he was still at Tottenham really advocating his inclusion, thought his initial performances were very strong.

As I say I just can't really remember specifically, but my impression is always that he does a similar thing for England that he does for us, a very good job.
  30. May 9, 2011

wr8_utd :'(

I honestly expected Carrick to have a dip in form after his mistake vs City but he's been just brilliant. Hope he can keep it up vs Barca.
  31. May 9, 2011

Aboutreika18 Full Member

Carrick was also very good against Egypt when he came off the bench and helped turn around a pre-World Cup friendly.
  32. May 9, 2011

Inigo Montoya Full Member

In his defence it was a catalogue of errors that led to it but he's been in great form since.
  33. May 9, 2011

Agreed
  34. May 9, 2011

Yeah, this is more akin to my memories of him in and England shirt, coinciding with England's better performances.
  35. May 9, 2011

I guess so. I think it doesn't help that his good performance are often friendlies which nobody remembers and his bad performance have been shunted into the limelight when he's thrown into the team during his bad run of form.
  36. May 9, 2011

This is laughable. What is the definition of few?

You the ''fecking mental'' one. He was fecking shit against Ecuador to the extent he was benched for the next game. Only utter idiots like the fools in the English press and Carrick sycophants believed other wise. As he has been in all his other England appearances bar that game vs Germany. But trust a Carrick supporter to create things out of thin air just to praise him :rolleyes:

Frankly I dont have time for this shit. You go on thinking he is some sort of footballing god. Managers who actually know their football wont agree iwth you or pick him for England till he is surrounded by the type of players he is at club level that mask his deficiencies as a player. Plain and simple.
  37. May 9, 2011

Vinay Muppet in Training

I won't say I expected it... I was more afraid it could happen... But, I was hoping his new-found confidence wouldn't just slip away, given the time it took him to get it back - it was bound to be a confidence developed of durable quality...
  38. May 9, 2011

I'm always right Banned

You're a joke at times Chief. Parker has started ONE game in 5 years for England.

Is 1 the definition of "a few"...

Just give up Chief, it's getting silly now.
  39. May 9, 2011

Many will disagree with you over Ecuador, I know the BBC pundits are hardly infallible but there is surely something wrong when they to a man are lauding his performance and you're saying its shit.
  40. May 9, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Riiiiight, so you know better than every single pundit in that studio? :lol:

Since when am I a "Carrick supporter", I'm far from his biggest fan but I appreciate his ability obviously more than you do. Is this just another lame Chief attempt to win an argument by calling someone a fanboi :rolleyes: pathetic