Alex Sandro

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Devil may care, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 10, 2012

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/1...tarlet-as-potential-patrice-evra-replacement/
    I know it's Caughtoffside and I have no idea what the original sources reputation is but I thought since he plays for Porto Arruda could weigh in.
  2. Dec 10, 2012

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    Oh, but the youngsters, what about the youngsters? Didn't you just bought a left-back last year?

That said this guy seems to be class, looks better than Danilo (our RB) which was more expensive. Would like to see how he does until the end of the season though, particularly as he was injured for some time.
  3. Dec 10, 2012

Cina full member

Buttner? Fewk that.

I've heard such good things about Sandro, but I still think Fabio can make it here, so I'd be conflicted about this.
  4. Dec 10, 2012

Not sure which youngsters you are referring to Arruda but I don't think Buttner was bought to be Evra's long term replacement, more of a squad player.

As for Fabio, his future is at United as his brother is now our main right back and hopefully will be for a long time, but I think he may be used more as cover for him than as our regular starting LB.
  5. Dec 10, 2012

Supports:
    Porto
    I wasn't referring to any youngsters, I was just taking a dig at the strange paradox of people claiming that United are a "different" club that wants to bring their youngsters through when in fact 90% of the fans here seem to prefer buying established world class players to every position in the pitch where you aren't world class already (like any top club does, in fairness, except Barcelona). Only Cleverley seems to stand a good chance of being more than a squad player and that doesn't exactly make you "different" than most other teams, does it? And I can only imagine this tendency increasing when SAF retires. Anyway, it wasn't directed at you, just a random dig :)
  6. Dec 10, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

It's very likely that we'll need a left back in the next couple of years. Fabio hasn't done well at QPR so far, I said prior to the season that sending him there was a mistake and I stand by it - you're unlikely to learn much at a side like QPR that will inevitably try to turn you into a physical defender or play a physical defender ahead of you. Benfica were also interested and he'd have benefited much more from a loan spell there. It's unbelievable how he has gone from starting for United in a Champions League final to struggling for a game at the worst team in Premier League.

Buttner I don't have much hope for. He might become a useful squad player but that's about it.
  7. Dec 10, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

How our fans want the club to be run and how our club is run are two very different things, Arruda. We've brought through more youth players than any other club in England so we're certainly 'different' in that sense. We'll always be looking at buying young talents like Alex Sandro though.
  8. Dec 10, 2012

Dumbstar Full Member

Why has he split one name into two?
  9. Dec 10, 2012

Supports:
    Porto
    I have no doubt about it, I just question if that policy isn't changing. Not because United want to, but because it will need to be done in order to compete with opponents who splash €30m in every position in the pitch. Does this leave the same room to groom youngsters into the first team as it did before, when international transfers were a lot less common in general and clubs were a lot more cautious where and when they would spend their limited resources? Will a player like Wellbeck, currently 4th choice, have a chance of dislodging any of the 3 ahead of him soon enough to still become a world class striker? He's 22, in two years he'll be 24, if he isn't at the correct level by then it's unlikely he will ever be in the future. Just a random example.

But I guess that discussion is best kept to another threat.

And as a young talent as Alex Sandro may be, he's one of those that will hardly be leaving for less than €25-30m.
  10. Dec 10, 2012

Levo Band of Brothers

I'll say it.

FM Legend.
  11. Dec 10, 2012

Supports:
    Porto

Alexandre is a common name in Portuguese (many times abbreviated to Alex, which itself became a proper name in Brazil) and so is Sandro.

Brazilians have a bit of a free-for-all policy in making names, this guy's name is awesome creativity by his parents. :lol:

Essentially they used two common names that when read together make another common name.
  12. Dec 10, 2012

We were some way ahead of the rest in terms of bringing youngsters through in 90s when we had the amazing crop with Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Nevilles and Butt. Since then very few of our youth reached level high enough to play for United let alone be stars but we've done well in contributing players for other teams from top 4 English divisions. Some of those players went on to be successful for mid-table Premier League sides (Shawcross), some went a division down and had reasonably successful careers there (Eagles, Jones), some had to go even lower.

Obviously we're no Barcelona in terms of developing young players at the moment but we're doing well. Evans and Cleverley have a good chance of becoming first team players for us while Welbeck could go on to become a good squad player for the next few years and potentially an important first team member after that. You could also count Rafael who joined at the age of 18 and was given his first go in European football here.
  13. Dec 10, 2012

Danillaco Full Member

He was great at Santos, and is a good player. Not seen much from him since moving, but in the national squad did a good job if I remember correctly.
  14. Dec 10, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

Yup, good post.

Btw sorry for nitpicking but Rafael has been training with us since he was 15. He played his first match for us when he was 18.
  15. Dec 10, 2012

Revan Assumptionman

fecking hell, I still trust in Fabio. I always though that to send him in a PL team would not benefit him, but I doubt that he could have played that much here too. Anyway I hope that we will give him a chance next season and give him a run of games, before we decide to buy someone else.

About Sandro, I never want to sign players from Portugal. Porto and Benfica are even worse than Spurs at selling players, if a player is worth 15M, they will sell him at least 30M.
  16. Dec 10, 2012

Supports:
    Porto
    Fixed. ;)
  17. Dec 10, 2012

Wasn't he still at Fluminense, only traveling here once in a while, before he turned 18?
  18. Dec 10, 2012

Replacing Fabio with Buttner and sending him on loan to an awful club was a big mistake.
  19. Dec 11, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Wouldn't call it a big mistake given Buttner has barely played and Fabio can still come good. Mistake maybe but I guess the idea is for Fabio to get more game time than Buttner is getting at United.

Fabio has also spent the last 3 months injured anyway so having cover is better than no cover I guess,
  20. Dec 11, 2012

Brightonian Full Member

No, 90% of the fans posting in transfer threads do. The multitude who would be happier to see us giving youngsters a chance don't tend to bother. Bit cnutish to wander into a thread like this and just post a 'do not want', after all. That said, 'do not want'. None of our options there have yet shown themselves to be up to the task of being our post-Evra first choice, but then none of them have ever really had a chance, on account of Evra's huge appearance stats.
  21. Dec 11, 2012

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    :confused: what exactly has Buttner done wrong?
  22. Dec 11, 2012

Supports:
    Porto
    Good post, have to acknowledge that, specially remembering how a lot of people here weren't crazy about signing RvP for many of those reasons.
  23. Dec 11, 2012

ghaliboy Snitches on Tom Hagen

I came here to say it, so I'll quote it. Bolded.
  24. Dec 11, 2012

I think overall we try more so than most other top clubs in the top leagues to give our youth players a shot, I mean I doubt City or Chelsea would have entertained the idea of Gibson for as long we did and with players like Welbeck, Evans, Rafael and Cleverley featuring quite regularly we have a decent success rate. I agree that some tend to gloss over the fact we have always married the youth system with quality buys at a premium but even Barca have done this, shelling out over a £150M on Ibra, Villa, Fabregas, Mascherano, Song and Sanchez over the last 3 seasons to compliment their homegrown talent.
  25. Dec 11, 2012

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Evans? Welbeck? I'd say three if you include Cleverley is a very good return in the last few years. These guys are already number one picks for their country!
  26. Dec 11, 2012

Coxy Full Member

And a snip at 11 million :cool:
  27. Dec 11, 2012

Elliott Likes Loan Stickies

He had a poor game.
  28. Dec 11, 2012

Supports:
    Porto
    I am not sure about Evans, maybe, maybe not. Welbeck won't probably ever be more than a squad striker. Are you expecting him to become first choice at 25?

This isn't a criticism of anyone at United, I simply think football has changed quite a bit in the last 15-20 years and it's bloody difficult to groom a youngster into a first team when that team is one of the best 5 in the world. There will always be a few noteworthy exceptions, but a generation like your golden one is very unlikely to repeat itself, I'd say. The balance of giving them enough playing time / maintaining a first XI capable of fighting for every competition is very hard to achieve. Assuming no serious injuries with any of your strikers, he certainly won't be more than 4th choice for the next 3-4 years, or do you see him progressing faster than Hernandez?
  29. Dec 11, 2012

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Welbeck wll definitely be one of our starting strikers in the future (4 years?). His talent is there to see. It won't be anytime soon because of RVP, but I can certainly see him slowly ousting RVP out when age finally catches up with RVP.
  30. Dec 11, 2012

Brightonian Full Member

Agreed. In particular, the Chelsea/City trend has done a lot of damage to youth football. Hard to justify giving a youngster two years to settle into a role when the sugar-daddy clubs just buy an established star to fill any gaps in their team. United are doing well to keep up despite generally buying young potential rather than established class.

I'm not 100% sure on Welbeck. He has the ingredients, but plenty of players get to his sort of level and then never make the next step up. I'm not worried, though. Buying RVP has essentially guaranteed Welbeck two or three more years of development without the pressure of needing to carry the brunt of our goalscoring responsibility.

Evans is nailed on, for me. I prefer his name on the teamsheet, at the moment, to any of our other central defenders. He's so fecking classy, and still only 24.
  31. Dec 11, 2012

Supports:
    Porto
    In 4 years he'll be 26. Do you think he will reach a level comparable to the Rooneys, Falcaos, Agueros, RvPs of this world without being a regular first choice? Most World Class strikers of the last decade were regular first-XI players for a top-20ish European team by 22. There are a few late bloomers, like Drogba, and Welbeck may very well be one of them, but to say he "definitely" will be sounds a lot like wishful thinking.

I know he plays regularly for England, but expectations for United as a club are a notch above expectations for England as a national team. United is one of the top teams in the world, England isn't.

Good for Evans and United then, I thought he was a notch below Rio and Vidic (at comparable ages) but 24 is still young for a CB and he does seem to be very well rated around here. United fans surely know him better than I do.

I don't know if "guaranteeing two or three more years of development" without that pressure is necessarily and advantage for a player who's already 22. Striving under pressure is precisely what is expected of a potentially world class pressure at that age.

We'll have to wait and see.
  32. Dec 11, 2012

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Not many people have Wayne Rooney and Robin Van
    Persie to get passed first
  33. Dec 11, 2012

Supports:
    Porto
    Sure, I'm not blaming Welbeck for not being better than them, but how does that relate to any of the points I made?

Anyway, I've turned a thread about Alex Sandro into a thread about Welbeck...
  34. Aug 18, 2015

steferrari Juventus Fan

Supports:
    Juventus
    Very close to Juve, €22m plus bonuses.
  35. Aug 18, 2015

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Great signing for them!
  36. Dec 4, 2017

Varun Moderator Staff

Please start a new thread, this one is from years ago.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.