All Time Test Draft R1 - 2mufc0 vs The Red Viper | 2mufc0 wins 13-11

Discussion in 'Other Sport' started by prath92, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Who will win a 3 match series between the two?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2017.
  1. Team 2mufc0

53.8%
  2. Team The Red Viper

46.2%
  1. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Welcome to the eighth and last game of the Test Cricket Draft game between @2mufc0 and @The Red Viper . These teams will be involved in 3 game series in

1. A flat track
    2. A green track aiding swing
    3. A slow track aiding spin

Teams

Team 2mufc0

1. Justin Langer
    2. Marcus Trescothick
    3. Richie Richardson
    4. Javed Miandad
    5. Damien Martyn
    6. Shane Watson (a/r)
    7. Brendan McCullum (wk)
    8. Ravichandran Ashwin (a/r)
    9. Morne Morkel
    10. Allan Donald
    11. Glenn McGrath

Team The Red Viper

1. Desmond Haynes.
    2. Mark Taylor. (C)
    3. Mohinder Amarnath.
    4. Jacques Kallis. (4)
    5. Kevin Pietersen.
    6. Doug Walters. (6)
    7. Kapil Dev. (3)
    8. Moin Khan. (WK)
    9. Jason Gillespie. (2)
    10. Dennis Lillee. (1)
    11. Mushtaq Ahmed. (5)
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Team 2mufc0

Team and roles:

1. Justin Langer
    2. Marcus Trescothick
    3. Richie Richardson
    4. Javed Miandad
    5. Damien Martyn
    6. Shane Watson (all rounder)
    7. Brendan McCullum (wk)
    8. Ravichandran Ashwin (bowling allrounder)
    9. Morne Morkel
    10. Allan Donald
    11. Glenn McGrath

Batting

• Complimentary opening partnership one aggressive and one more defensive a perfect combination
    • Strong top/middle order, all no. 3-5 GOAT category
    • Resilient and powerful lower order with Watson/McCullum and the dogged Ashwin
    • Test centurions up to no.8
    Bowling

• The GOAT test fast bowler McGrath, made all the top batsmen his bunnies partnered with another GOAT Donald. Both complimentary with different styles and guarantee early wickets.
    • Supported by spin wicket taking machine Ravi Ashwin, has taken 300 wickets in no time breaking many records on the way. With an avg of 25 it really is incredible esp in the era he is playing in where every man and his dog averages 50.
    • Morkel provides the pace support to give McGrath and Donald rests. 276 wickets at an average of 28 he's a great support bowler to come in and be threatening at the same time.
    • Watson will provide some variation and respite for the other bowlers when needed.
  3. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Team The Red Viper

01. Desmond Haynes.
    02. Mark Taylor. (C)
    03. Mohinder Amarnath.
    04. Jacques Kallis. (4)
    05. Kevin Pietersen.
    06. Doug Walters. (6)
    07. Kapil Dev. (2)
    08. Moin Khan. (WK)
    09. Jason Gillespie. (3)
    10. Dennis Lillee. (1)
    11. Mushtaq Ahmed. (5)

THE TEAM

[​IMG]

THE BATTING

In Desmond Haynes and Mark Taylor, we have two excellent openers, who are known for their resilience and ability to see off the new ball. Coming after them at 1st down is "The Comeback Man", Mohinder "Jimmy" Amarnath. Jimmy is one of the best ever batsmen of genuine fast bowling. No one could boast of having an average of 56 against Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson in Australia, 57 against Imran Khan and Sarfaraz Nawaz in Pakistan and 55 against the Four Headed Beast of Malcolm Marshall, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts and Joel Garner like Mohinder Amarnath. At 2nd down, we have one of the greatest batsman of all time, Jacques Kallis. An epitome of consistency, Kallis provides the stability and solidity to our middle order. Next up we have Kevin Pietersen. Blessed with immaculate style and amazing range of shots, in KP we have a player who could change the course of a match in a session with his stroke-play. At 6 down, we have Doug Walters. A fantastic character. One of the most flamboyant batsman to have played the game. Ian Chappell considers him the best player of off-spin bowling he has seen. Here is Chappelli gushing about Dougy Walters:-

Kapil Dev and Moin Khan form the lower batting order. In Kapil and Moin, there are two good batsman who add variety to the batting unit. In Kapil, we have a batsman who can take the match away from the opposition with the help of his big hitting in a session or two. Then there is Moin Khan, who was a master of grinding it out with the tail and was more often than not, the man who rescued Pakistan with his batting from desperate situations.

All in all, the batting line-up is really balanced. It has openers who could see off the new ball, middle-order batsmen who could counter-attack and take the match away from the opposition if needed and batsmen who have a proven record of grinding it out and bailing the team from a tough situation.

THE BOWLING

The bowling attack comprises of Dennis Lillee, Jason Gillespie, Kapil Dev, Jacques Kallis, Mushtaq Ahmed and Doug Walters. In Dennis Lillee, we have an all-time great fast bowler to spearhead the attack and using his pace and ability to swing the ball, cause all kinds of problem to the opposition batting. Opening the bowling with Lillee would be India's greatest ever fast bowler and 4th highest wicket-taker of all time amongst fast bowlers, Kapil Dev. The one man bowling attack of India during 80s and early 90s, Kapil had the ability to swing both the new ball as well as old ball using reverse swing. Jason Gillespie would be the 1st change in bowling attack. Gillespie was tenacious, could move the ball both ways and provided all sorts of problem to opposition batsmen with his length due to his height. In Kapil and Gillespie, we have the perfect foil for Lillee to do what he does best. Both Kapil and Gillespie were tireless. They could bowl for long spells and allow Lillee to take breathers and do his madness in short spells. Then we also have Jacques Kallis. Another fine bowler. Pre-shoulder injury, Kallis was fast and was an extremely dangerous bowler who had a knack of picking up wickets. Post-shoulder injury, he lost the pace but mastered the art of swing and seam movement. Whar he lost in pace, he compensated it with his line and length. His tally of 292 test wickets would outclass a lot of premier fast bowlers who spearheaded bowling attacks.

In the spin department, we have Mushtaq Ahmed. A matchwinner with a full house of legspin variations in his bowling arsenal, most notably the googly. Was a master at deceiving the batsmen with his flight and deception. Last but not the least, we have Doug Walters as the part-timer bowler. A handy medium-paced bowler, Doug Walters had a knack of picking wickets at crucial stages of the games, especially when Australia needed to break a partnership.

Overall, the bowling attack has plenty of variety in it. It has bowlers who can bowl at a genuine pace, swing the new ball as well as the old ball using reverse swing and a spinner who would be devastating in a turner with his flight and drift. And in Mark Taylor, one of the shrewdest and tactically smartest captains to have played the game, we have a captain who can set the field and maximize the ability of our bowlers.
  4. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

5. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

6. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

7. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

8. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

9. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

10. Dec 14, 2017

prath92 Full Member

11. Dec 14, 2017

MJJ Full Member

Openers are around equal, middle order I like 2mufc more. Lower middle order(6-8) red Viper has an edge, bowling is close too although TRV has a better fifth change bowler. Close match.
  12. Dec 14, 2017

Skills Snitch

Not sure, I think Viper has the better openers (Tresco who I'm a big fan of, not sure if he belongs in the same convo as Taylor, Haynes and Langer who could start the final without an eyebrow raised) and middle order. But 2mufc probably has an edge in the bowlers.
  13. Dec 14, 2017

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority" Scout

Very tough match up. I might change my vote later on, can't make up my mind. Just about went with Viper for now with Kallis swinging it.
  14. Dec 14, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

Viper has a good team, imo the batting is equal, where i would win it is with the bowling, Lillee is the only one that can compare with my openers and imo he's not as good as them, the other pacers are good but a tier or 2 below. I also have a superior spinner.
  15. Dec 14, 2017

The Red Viper Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Hello Lads.

I really like 2mufc0's team but feel like I should win this. Love his bowling attack of Donald and McGrath to spearhead the bowling attack. I may not have two elite fast bowlers but I have got Lillee and three very good fast bowlers to complement. I have better bowling variety.

As for batting, I have better batting unit with a deeper batting line-up.
  16. Dec 14, 2017

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Disagree about the openers, mate.

Haynes is one that best ever test openers and Taylor was an excellent opener himself as well. Was a master at seeing off the new ball. He was was the man who laid the foundation for the Australian sides from late 80s to mid 90s. Tresco was great to watch but not the most reliable.
  17. Dec 14, 2017

MJJ Full Member

Tresco at his peak was one of the best openers around though. his average was in around 50 during his peak which is slightly better than taylor.
  18. Dec 14, 2017

Supports:
    Liverpool
    McGrath is better than Lillee but not by a lot tbh. There is a reason why great bowlers like McGrath and Hadlee had Lillee as their bowling idols. Lillee definitely better than Donald however.

The likes of Kapil, Gillespie and Kallis may not be of the same level as Lillee, McGrath or even Donald but they were still great bowlers. Especially Gillespie and Kapil. Kapil's stats don't look that great because he overplayed and should have retired long before. He also never had any half decent bowling support from the other end. The greatest bowlers generally tend to have good supporting bowlers to complement them am hunt in packs. Kapil never had that kind of luxury.
  19. Dec 14, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

Would disagree about Lillee, he's not in that elite bracket with the likes of McGrath and Marshall imo. And i would take Donald over him too.

Donald had a fantastic partnership with Pollock, here i have a much upgraded version in McGrath, they would cause a lot of damage.
  20. Dec 14, 2017

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We can't just look at stats at face value and judge them though, mate.

Look at the bowlers that Mark Taylor had to face. To have an average of 43 odd in that time as an opener is very very good when you consider he had to face the new ball against the likes of Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Hadlee, Donald and Pollock etc. Also, Tresco's record away from home was quite poor.
  21. Dec 14, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

22. Dec 14, 2017

freeurmind weak willed

I would also take Donald over Lillee. 2mufc0's bowling attack would be better on both the green top and he's got the better spinner.
  23. Dec 14, 2017

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah. I would disagree about Lillee not being in the same bracket as Marshall and Lillee. They were better, yes. But Lillee was fecking amazeballs also. Richie Benaud had him in his All Time XI. The likes Of Botham and Viv considered him the best bowler they faced and this was the time fast bowling was at its best peak.
  24. Dec 14, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

Not doubting his quality mate but when you are comparing him to an elite bowler like McGrath he's a tier below imo.
  25. Dec 14, 2017

charlton66 Full Member

Supports:
    Golden State
    If I was the Red Viper I'd be tempted to open the bowling with Lillee and Gillespie rather than Lillee and Kapil Dev since Gillespie at his peak is a little quicker than Kapil Dev and also has a better strike rate. As an all rounder Kapil Dev is the best on either side but as a premier strike bowler I'm not convinced. Other than that I'd tend to agree with @MJJ .
    At the moment, I'm leaning towards @2mufc0 because of RVs current opening attack, but I could be swayed. ;)
  26. Dec 14, 2017

Supports:
    Liverpool
    That was my initial plan actually. I contemplated really hard but in the end went with Kapil.

But now that you say it, I agree. Kapil also better once the ball loses a bit of the shine.
  27. Dec 14, 2017

charlton66 Full Member

Supports:
    Golden State
    Anybody who has Dennis Lillee second tier at anything to do with bowling has never seen him play.
  28. Dec 14, 2017

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Going with Dizzy opening the bowling with Lillee.
  29. Dec 14, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

He's a GOAT bowler, however relatively speaking there's no shame in being rated below the bowlers of the calibre of McGrath and Marshall.
  30. Dec 14, 2017

MJJ Full Member

That is true, taylor faced tougher bowlers than tresco.

Yeah he has some kind of homesickness issue, forced him to retire too.
  31. Dec 14, 2017

charlton66 Full Member

Supports:
    Golden State
    I'll repeat what I said and stick by it. Consider how many wickets Lillee took vs how many tests he played. He's up there at over 5 per test - that is insane, better than McGrath, and Marshall (and Warne for that matter). There is no shame being rated below McGrath and Marshall because he doesn't belong there, in fact he may well be the best fast bowler that has ever lived. Richie Benaud was no fool and he seemed to think so naming Dennis in his all time best eleven.

...and for that I'm switching my vote to @The Red Viper
  32. Dec 14, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

Richie Benaud is one person, there are plenty of others who haven't got him in their all time all XI.

You can vote who you want for mate or switch how many times you like, no need to announce it.
  33. Dec 14, 2017

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Two of the strongest first found sides.. very difficult to separate
  34. Dec 14, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

And i'm not sure how seriously one can take Benaud's 11 when he didn't even include 1 WI paceman in his lineup and two ancient players who were born in the late 1800's, and not surprisingly picked 4 Aussies. He was a great cricket commentator but we all have our biases.
  35. Dec 14, 2017

charlton66 Full Member

Supports:
    Golden State
    I always announce who I'm voting for. Shouldn't have been snarky about it though. Sorry!
    ...none of which was McGrath. Don't get me wrong, I think Glenn McGrath is one of the best ever, it's just me and Richie would go with DK.

As to the ancient players, don't forget Richie was born in 1930, the same year Jack Hobbs played his last test and about 15 years after Sydney Barnes played his. Is that so much different than a 20 year old on the CAF commenting on the prowess of Dennis Lillee who played his last test in January 1984 and was really at his best in the mid to late 70s?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  36. Dec 15, 2017

Mani Full Member

Two good looking side and other close match difficulty to decide.Both pair of openers are really good as well their MO look even.With Walters and Kapil I think Viper’s can bat bit longer.Opening hours of bowling belongs to 2mufc0 with McGrath/Donald he get those early breakthrough though Viper has Lillee it’s the otherend that might giveaway any initiative created by Lillee.
  37. Dec 15, 2017

kotha Full Member

Finally a tie!!
  38. Dec 15, 2017

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Really can't agree with openers being equal. Feel like Taylor is getting massively underrated. Man was a pillar for Australia in the 90s and laid foundation for so much of their success due to seeing off the new ball against some all time great bowlers.
  39. Dec 15, 2017

Mani Full Member

Completely agree there