All Time Test Draft R2 - Raees vs crappycraperson | Crappy wins 18-6

Discussion in 'Other Sport' started by prath92, Dec 19, 2017.

?

Who will win a 3 match series between the two?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2017.
  1. Team Raees

26.9%
  2. Team Crappy

73.1%
  1. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Welcome to the second game of the second round of the Test Cricket Draft game between @Raees and @crappycraperson . These teams will be involved in 3 game series in

1. A flat track
    2. A green track aiding swing
    3. A slow track aiding spin

Teams

Team Raees

1. Glenn Turner
    2. Mathew Hayden
    3. Ricky Ponting
    4. Younis Khan
    5. Allan Border
    6. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
    7. Mark Boucher
    8. John Snow*
    9. Dennis Lillee
    10. Shane Bond
    11. Muttiah Muralitharan
    For spin/flat pitches, *Nawaz comes in for Snow in order to utilise reverse swing.

Team Crappy

1. Gordon Greenidge
    2. Alec Stewart (wk)
    3. Kumara Sangakkara
    4. Brian Lara
    5. Michael Clarke (c)
    6. Dean Jones
    7. Ian Botham
    8. Chris Cairns
    9. Michael Holding
    10. Bob Willis
    11. Bishan Singh Bedi
  2. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Team Crappy

[​IMG]

Batting

- Greenidge, one of the best opening batsmen of all time, leads the line up.
    - Middle order contains 3 of the best batsmen of their generation - Sanga, Lara and Clarke. Lara in my opinion is the best match winner (as a batsman) test cricket ever had. I love Sachin but if I had to choose one batsmen to win a test match for me, it would be Lara (Yes, even over Viv). Sangakarra seems to be terribly underrated. His stats alone should blow people away, the lowest he averages in any country is 44 something.
    - Botham at no.7 is as good as any other batsmen, he has 6 hundreds from the same position.
    - Cairns at 8 is a luxury and Holding was no mug with bat, leading to a very deep batting line up.

Bowling

Holding, whispering death, leads the pace attack with ample support from Willis, Botham and Cairns. That's 4 frontline bowlers right there with figures to reflect the same. Enough to pin back any line up on any track, let alone pace friendly one. Bishan Singh Bedi, one of the most wily and intelligent spinners of all time, carries the burden of being the main spinner. Clarke is more than a handy part time spinner to come into play on spin friendly track, he has taken 5 wickets in an innings twice.

Overall, the team has multitude of options in bowling to trouble any line up while a solid and deep batting line up.
  3. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Team Raees

[​IMG]

TACTICAL OUTLINE

For spin/flat pitches, *Nawaz comes in for Snow in order to utilise reverse swing.

Turner
    Hayden
    Ponting
    Khan
    Border
    Chanderpaul
    Boucher
    Snow/Nawaz*
    Lillee
    Bond
    Murali

Why we can win

Seamers Pitch

We have the faster and more ferocious bowling attack and Bond/Lillee are deadly 90mph+ bowlers with insane wicket-taking ability and economical to boot, backed by the likes of Snow/Sarfraz. Murali is a threat on all surfaces unlike Bedi who mostly got his wickets on the subcontinent and whose average jumps to 33 away from home.

Batting wise, he has a terrific lineup but Stewart is gettable, Sanga and Pujara are weaker away from home in english conditions and I think we have the less flakier batting lineup against quality bowling in seaming conditions.

Flat pitch

On pitches which favour batting, you need bowlers with oomph and who can create magic in the air and bamboozle the best batsman even on roads. Nawaz is that man with extensive experience of bowling in flat conditions and founding the art of reverse swing.

I think his batting lineup has it in them to score faster in flat conditions, but I also think our bowling attack can take 20 wickets on a flat pitch, whereas I think our batting lineup is very hard to get out let alone on a flat pitch.

Spinning Pitch

Our spinner is the best of all time. Bedi is class too, but he's no Murali. That said Lara has a good record against him, and thus the best way to target Lara is to use the faster bowlers, he got out to Akram/Younis quite a few times.. but it will be a tough ask.

On our side, we have accomplished players of spin in Hayden (a beast in India), Border, Khan (arguably the best v spin in the more modern era) and Chanderpaul.
  4. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

5. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

6. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

7. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

8. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

9. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

10. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

11. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

12. Dec 19, 2017

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority" Scout

I personally think Bond playing less has led to him becoming rated more than he should be. 18 tests is not enough of a sample size to place him anywhere near top bowlers list. I personally did not pick any players with little amount of international cricket behind them because arguing in favor such players always seems flimsy to me.
  13. Dec 19, 2017

Raees' batting is solid but I think having Botham and Cairns at 7/8 give me the edge (Even Holding with 6 50s at 9 would be handy).

My pace line up is definitely more varied and stronger than his. The fact I will have 4 goto pacers on green track (3 match winning ones in Holding, Botham and Willis) gives me the edge there. On the spin track Murali alone should give Raees the edge but... Sanga and Lara in middle order are perfect players to combat him.

Especially Lara, Here is his record vs Murali -

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...1;template=results;type=allround;view=innings

9 matches, 5 hundreds, average of 77.73, not even dismissed once by him.

People remember Lara playing out of his skin against the Aussies but he also completely tore it up in SRL 2001, 3 match series which featured Murali too. He scored at an average of 110+ with 1 double hundred, 2 hundreds and another fifty in 3 match series. (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...span;template=results;type=batting;view=match)

Write up on Lara getting better of Murali - When Lara tamed Murali

Murali also admitted the same -
  14. Dec 19, 2017

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Yep, have acknowledged that Lara basically has Murali in his pocket. He's your biggest threat, which is why we would look to target him with Lillee, Nawaz and Bond and try to use reverse swing into the left hander ala Akram/Younis in rawalpindi.

Yeah not going to dispute the depth of your batting lineup either, what I will say is that match-winning wise, match-saving wise in hostile conditions, Lara and Greenidge apart (or Botham for that matter).. I would argue my batters are tougher and more likely to resist a really talented bowling attack (which you have). We lack more flair perhaps, but there is alot of mental strength in my batting lineup.. plenty of guys who could bat all day against the very best in all conditions.
  15. Dec 19, 2017

Normally I would agree, but when he also has a sensational ODI career backing it up.. he is clearly not no flash in the pan type bowler and would have been up there with Steyn if injury free.

This is him absolutely shitting on a GOAT indian batting lineup, he clean bowls Rahul Dravid and then bowls out Tendulkar.

Truly a world class bowler test or ODI.. I think he showed enough in his short career. Talent wise purely on the bowling front, he is ahead of Willis/Botham for me but obviously will not have the longevity to prove it.
  16. Dec 19, 2017

Dennis Lillee

17. Dec 19, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

Prefer Raees's bowling attack, close game though.
  18. Dec 19, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Even with Botham holding and Willis?
  19. Dec 19, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

Like I said it's close, Murali is a huge factor and should pull votes by himself, has rediculous stats. Despite struggling against Lara there are 10 other batsmen he can run through.
  20. Dec 19, 2017

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Lara doesnt play at #4 and Clarke doesnt play at #5.
  21. Dec 19, 2017

Im afraid ODIs have nothing to do with this draft and ifs and buts dont help either. For fantasy purposes, it is not a big enough sample size like the other poster said.
  22. Dec 19, 2017

Then why bother including such players in the draft in the first place? Why not place a more restrictive limit in terms of tests played. Not saying that you're wrong but just saying if he is a valid player then under the rules judge him based on what he did show and what he demonstrated was an ability to destroy top class batsman in test cricket around the world (Lara, Dravid and Tendulkar to name but a few). It's not like he was a one hit wonder type of bowler .. bond is one of those generational talents like a Pollock in batting that needs to be respected inspite of his lack of games.
  23. Dec 19, 2017

But when drafting you have to do a better choice of drafting players? I mean Caddick has gotten rid of Sachin, Dravid and Lara but that doesnt mean he is going to be featured in this draft. You chose Bond super early as well. There is no point arguing whats-ifs in a draft.
  24. Dec 19, 2017

Think you are mis-remembering. Lara batted at number 4 in 148 innings out of 232. 3/4 is same for him.

Clarke had 110 innings out of 198 at 5. Infact for Clarke his poor form at no.4 (when he moved to same from 5) became a point of contention.
  25. Dec 19, 2017

Ah fair point. Just checked the stats. You're right. Then you have the best middle order left in my opinion.
  26. Dec 19, 2017

Moby Dick who hates the homeless

Uhm
  27. Dec 19, 2017

Bond talent wise is on another level to Caddick. Anyone who watched him play could easily see he's a once in a generation bowler. He'd be the best in the world today easily.
  28. Dec 19, 2017

Again you're going off of what ifs. Its like me picking Ricardo Quaresma in a football draft going I know he isnt great now but if he continued to live up to his hype he would be as good as Messi and CR7 today.

Or I dont know if you follow basketball, but that would be like me picking Ben Simmons in the first couple of rounds and given the small sample size of this season, could make an argument for him to be one of the best players of all time.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  29. Dec 20, 2017

Good game Raees. I didn't realize your team was this solid until I saw it on paper. Having non fancy names in Younis and Chanderpaul in middle order hurt you.
  30. Dec 20, 2017

@crappycraperson .. mate tbh I didn't think i had a chance when I saw I was drawn against you.. so much depth in your side, every strength I had.. you seemed to equal or better it.. that batting lineup seemed to go on forever!

best of luck for the next game! well deserved winner.