All Tomorrow's Parties

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Nani Nana, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009

Nani Nana Full Member

If one single link could be established between all the divergent events that bedeck Manchester United's history, it could be that never, in 130 years of existence, has an event occurred at this club that induced its fans into hopefulness. If anything, United's history is built by trial and error, reluctantly made decisions and tentative resolutions.​

Nigh on bankruptcy as early as the 1900s for debts amounting to £3,000; the first English club to dare give all encompassing managerial responsibilities to a coach - Matt Busby - who went on to become the club's longest serving manager; FA Cup finalists with a makeshift side after a plane crash which tragically curtailed one of the brightest crops of talent ever to have graced British football; United always wagered and petitioned the Lord with prayers on its way to developing into the most popular club in the world as we know it today, just as much as a groping teenager grows up into a self-assured adult. However, its approach to the game hasn't varied one bit, and this continuous wagering somehow persists, despite the scheming, pre-eminent business that football has now become.

The fulcrum of this strength in disinclination was always meant to be youth, as much as an adult's persona is built through a tough and complex childhood. United's youth players are what made the club's name, face and voice. Pioneered by the late Sir Matt Busby, who was the first to implement a scouting network throughout the British Isles, the United Academy proved the unlikely swivel that impelled the club's ambitions. And even in the wake of major events, such as Cristiano Ronaldo's summer departure, it is still United's youth that will be given the care to maintain the club atop.​

And as this scouting network has today extended to the remotest parts of the globe, it is with pride that Manchester seeks to be represented by players who have little in common with North West England, hence teaching us fans a universal value, to 'bloom where you're planted'.​

Who, then, will take over from the golden 1991 generation whose best representatives are wearing out (albeit producing some staggering curtain calls such as Giggs who never looked so full of vim and vigour)? Alex Ferguson fathomed, in the wake of Ronaldo's headline grabbing departure, that it was vital to progressively groom another crop of youngsters for the highest level rather than signing big names, if United are to keep its identity. If this decision was perceived as upsetting to the youngest United fans, their older peers apprehend Fergie is looking to recreate a 1991-like youth bonanza, this time with players cherry-picked on a global scale. No other club conveying as many universal values, and seen as the epitome of success in sport, could prove more effective at paving the way towards worldwide players supporting a common identity. José Manuel Barroso will take a leaf out of his book when the following players, hailing from diverse parts of the world, join and embrace United as a club and a city of their own.​

Arthur Albiston is.. Fabio da Silva

The only way Ferguson distinguishes the left-back twin from his brother is the wedding ring he was given by 17-year-old Barbara, whom he married upon arriving in England last year. Talk of a devoted and stout whippet, who is allegedly not divorced yet after nigh on a year of life together. Well, that's already a step up from AC Milan's wonderkid Alexandre Pato who, married aged 18, is said to be the youngest divorcee in the football world after splitting up with his wife mere months ago. Fabio da Silva therefore has all the attributes required to be committed to life with United, albeit his footballing qualities seem less sparkling than his twin's. Which is a good sign, when you're a full-back and have a twin also playing at United.

Ryan Giggs is.. Adem Ljajic

The Serbian youngster was born and bred in Partizan Belgrade, a club that still exists only for the Belgrade derby with Red Star Belgrade, taking place twice a year in a country whose clubs have sunk on the European scene. He was taught to love Partizan and hate Red Star, and this education will prove useful when he starts displaying his magical abilities at Old Trafford in three months time, promptly enticing the upstart neighbours into a whooping frenzy (they are said to have already prepared a bid for Ljajic's partner in Serbia U21 outfit, Danijel Aleksic, a striker who is said to have such accuracy with the ball at his feet he could blast it in the face of an opponent 30 yards out, but only in case the aforementioned opponent wears a red shirt and an unutterable name).

Also, he enjoys wearing black jackets with an immaculate white shirt jutting out a bunched-up collar, which proves with almost certainty he is Giggs' successor :

[​IMG]

Carlos Tevez is.. Federico Macheda

The Italian striker is one of those brilliant footballers who simply aren't made for United. As much as Ljajic will be honoured to embrace United's values, Macheda was, firstly born and bred in Italy, whose clubs are still (although presumably not for long) competing on the continental scene and enticing their domestic youngsters, and on the other hand is seemingly too unkempt for Fergie's liking, after notably being caught smoking during his holidays. One can presumably fathom the youngster's transfer request next season, when upon scoring his 19h goal in 7 games he'll shout out to David Gill in the stands "Ma va cagale, tu insanguinato bottiglia de puzzolente lubrificante!" (uttering his disappointment at Manchester's rainy weather and Gill's stance in the Michele Fornasier case) and fly in the next transfer window to sunny Roma.

Things are in safe hands then. And although United's identity was built by trial and error, the fact it settles on learning the hard way on its own, rather than wagering on the negation of another club's identity, is what enables it to reach the heights it accedes today - at the helm of world football. This is surely ought to continue, in sickness and in health..

.. Oh and cheers Brad for correcting the heinous errors I still make in the holy English language
  2. Oct 16, 2009

Solius Has a massive ginger bush

I like Giggs' jumper there.
  3. Oct 16, 2009

charleysurf Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

I appreciate the effort but Adem Ljajic is Adem Ljajic. He may or may not not make it at United.
    Federico Macheda is Federico Macheda. He may or may not not make it at United.
    Same with Fabio.

If one of these is playing regularly for United in 5 years we will be doing really well.

Lets not go all Arsenal, or scouser/RAWK and declare all our young players to be world class players in waiting. The youth system is throwing up some very interesting players at the moment, but we've seen alleged "golden generations" disappoint in the past.
  4. Oct 16, 2009

jb8521 Full Member

That is one long and random post
  5. Oct 16, 2009

Xander45 Know-It-All Champion May 2009

So where's these parties then? Is it byob?
  6. Oct 16, 2009

Raven Blade Dull

I dont know what i've just read... but I think I like it.
  7. Oct 16, 2009

Nani Nana Full Member

I wholeheartedly agree with this... And I don't think I said anything going against it, although it's certainly a stretch to tout Ljajic as the new Giggs or Fabio as the new Albiston.

The slant I wished to put in this article was on the fact United is making two seemingly paradoxical moves at the moment : on the one hand looking to keep its identity (notably by favouring the players who were already here in the 1990s, something that keeps the locker-room going), what Busby wanted foremost in the club. On the other hand, we are now bringing in players from all around the world, and ask them to embrace United's value and Manchester's culture as their own. I tried to make the link between both as our future success is heavily depending on that. From then on I merely looked for players likely/unlikely to fill this request, in my opinion.

Cheers.
  8. Oct 16, 2009

B Cantona Desperate

One of the things that makes me most proud about supporting United is that we generally do things the right way. As Nani says, there's a business side to things now which divorces that aspect somewhat, but we still play the right kind of football, and we have an emphasis on bringing players through, and playing youngsters when they're good enough, not when they're 'old enough'

Of course we can never know for sure how players will turn out in the future, so it's a tough job comparing playings coming through to the greats of the past. That said, everyone was comparing a young Ryan Giggs to a certain George Best back in the day, and that didn't turn out too badly did it! I've only seen two of the prospects mentioned, they're extremely raw at the moment, but they have the potential to be belting players. I've heard big things about Ljajic, despite never seeing him play

I can only hope whoever follows Ferguson into the United hot seat, and everyone beyond, stick to the same ethos. I want this club to be as successful as possible, but I want them to do so the right way
  9. Oct 16, 2009

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Very odd mixed bag of players to single out.
  10. Oct 16, 2009

B Cantona Desperate

Why so? Three of United's current best youngsters, no?
  11. Oct 16, 2009

Xander45 Know-It-All Champion May 2009

I'll agree, but more to do with the three he compares to. I mean Arthur Albiston and particularly Tevez(?) are odd players to compare to the current crop. Especially when Macheda is more a RVN style striker.
  12. Oct 16, 2009

Yeah, that's mainly what I was talking about. They seem to have been chosen completely at random.
  13. Oct 16, 2009

Ekeke Full Member

So many so keen to dismiss Macheda already. Unfortunately for you Sir Alex has spoken about him flatteringly and often.
  14. Oct 16, 2009

El B Full Member

15. Oct 16, 2009

What are you going on about now?

Did you even read the posts in this thread?

EDIT: Oops, my mistake. You're talking about the OP. His bit on Macheda is fecking bizarre. I think it might just be his terrible sense of humour though. I'm not sure if he is writing him off.
  16. Oct 16, 2009

charleysurf Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

17. Oct 16, 2009

Nani Nana Full Member

I'm not comparing their style on the pitch, I'm merely pointing out to Macheda's persona, as brilliant a footballer as he may prove, might be reminiscent to Tevez's at one point in the future because of his probable desire to play for a club in his country.For the record, Fergie also praised Tevez in interviews last season, so this is not really a relevant point.

If you read United's identity was built by trial and error, you acknowledge some players did embrace Manchester United's culture as their own, and others didn't. I wished to imagine how it may or may not turn out for some, purely based on fictional events, as now it is younger players from across the world on whom this responsibility is handed, and their reaction to being the battle flag of a club they aren't initially related to is unpredictable.
  18. Oct 16, 2009

Ekeke Full Member

He made this thread and almost a third of it is comparing Macheda to Tevez, who everyone has turned against not too long ago. I think its pretty deliberate.

If I made a thread with a bunch of comparisons and made the Berbatov one Carlos Tevez, I'm sure you'd think the same. That I was trying to turn people against him by making out that he's the same as a recent 'villain'.

There is just no need for it, particularly as the only similar thing is that Macheda plays up front for us and scored a few important goals. That doesnt make everyone who does that Carlos Tevez though.
  19. Oct 16, 2009

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

This is completely random and a bit erred in its viewpoints. But not surprising as it comes from someone who states that Ferguson has a "crush" on Welbeck.

The Macheda - Tevez comparison is based on nothing more than bias.