1. If you're having issues with staying logged in, log out and in again. More details in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Ander Herrera image Spain flag

Ander Herrera 2016-17 Performances

Jump to: Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool

View full 2016-17 profile

6.5 Average rating
26 Appearances
1 Goal
6 Assists
7 Yellow cards
1 Red card
  1. Aug 1, 2016

caisenma I ♥ Adnan

Exactly. Nothing wrong with that.
  2. Aug 1, 2016

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Carrick plays well with pace around him.

He still has the best brain in our midfield, and Jose will love that.

I can see a midfield of Carrick, Pogba and another for this season. At this point, Herrera is behind in the stakes to start.
  3. Aug 1, 2016

shabadu84 Mint? Berry?

There are and should be plenty of minutes for him to be used if we rotate regularly. I haven't given up on him but this is certainly a make or break season for him. Feel like the new teammates and less restrictive system will make him look better this year. Hopefully Mourinho has no issue running up scores when we can, that can give our secondary players a good chance to build confidence.

That was always an issue with LVG, that we would sit back and play for the 1 goal win which had the twofold issue of 1) making the game feel like work for everyone and 2) killing confidence if and when we didn't hold on for a win.
  4. Aug 1, 2016

ManRant Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Herrera is a squad player and a very good option to have when we are looking for goals. He is direct and willing to make riskier pass than Rooney or Mata I think. He just need to cut of his pointless running after passing the ball and cheap fouling. And yes, confidence as well.
  5. Aug 1, 2016

Sparky10Legend New Member

Even in today's market the lads a 15m player, we overpaid to the tune of 20m at the time. Very disappointing, what exactly is his usp?
  6. Aug 1, 2016

Gary_Walsh_Nou_Camp_Hell New Member

Thanks for explaining that mate, I hadn't heard it called that before!
  7. Threadmark: Man Utd 0:0 Everton (Pre-season)
    Aug 3, 2016

Pat Evra New Member

I think he did fantastic job in all pre-season games defensively-wise. Good pressure, good energy, also won a lot of balls and I think he is doing exactly what Mourinho wants him to do. Offensively could be better though, but I think tonight he was better than in previous games (for now). That through ball for Lingard was :drool:.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  8. Aug 3, 2016

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Looks miles better tonight. Looking like he's gonna be Pogba's back up this season.
  9. Aug 3, 2016

m1y2 Full Member

great performance, really glad for him, the times he dispossessed opponent:drool: tidy on the ball as well, not panicking, almost playing like Carrick with more agility and skills. Hopefully Mourinho will like him, he's great player when the team works well
  10. Aug 3, 2016

LouisDanGaal Full Member

Always think of him as a player who needs to really have his touch about him, and it is sometimes way way off. Because he is so dependent on doing everything so quickly when he does have his touch he can be great for us. Mourinho always has his favourite starting 11 and it stays that way, feel he will be in that this season.
  11. Aug 3, 2016

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Not if we sign Pogba he won't be. But I think Mourinho will like him.
  12. Aug 3, 2016

LouisDanGaal Full Member

I don't like the idea of him as a bit part player, he loses his touch every time he gets dropped for a bit. If he isn't in the 11 he will have an awful season and be sold next summer. I do think you could be right though, if pogba comes in we need a more defensive cm.
  13. Aug 3, 2016

Yagami Full Member

Apart from missing Barry so easily and letting him through our midfield at the start I think he's been good. Hopefully he can build on this and maybe cement himself a starting spot this season.
  14. Aug 3, 2016

Bosws87 New Member

One of the most overrated players by our own fans, he's a slightly above average centre midfielder.
  15. Aug 3, 2016

m1y2 Full Member

he's been best player on the pitch today, comments like yours aren't welcomed here, certainly not well timed
  16. Aug 3, 2016

Borys Full Member

Do people really think Pogba will be playing so deep as Ander does? Seriously doubt we'll play this formation with Paul.
  17. Aug 3, 2016

Bosws87 New Member

He hasn't been standout in what is a very quiet match granted its a testimonial and not a competitive fixture, but watching him all last season he wasn't half the player some people claim him to be.

That is my opinion on his performances, whats the issue?

He's energetic and a buzz around midfield but he lacks the quality to pick that final pass will have a role as an impact sub this season at most i believe.
  18. Aug 3, 2016

Ish Lights on for Luke

Seems like his confidence is building back up again. Happy for him. Had a good half, albeit in a testimonial.
  19. Aug 3, 2016

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera

The game has been awful since him and Carrick went off. Even Jesse offered more energy.
  20. Aug 3, 2016

Ban Full Member

Of all games you say this after today's performance.
  21. Aug 3, 2016

Ish Lights on for Luke

Yeah, we used and moved the ball well in the first half, especially the midfielders. We were also quick to win it back. I supposed changing the entire lineups of both teams also effected the rhythm but yeah, appalling second half.

Don't recall us creating any chances, or even shots, besides a couple crosses and one blocked effort from Mata.
  22. Aug 3, 2016

m1y2 Full Member

it's not a competetive fixture yet people are jerking out from Zlatan's performance. It's not but in this particular game he was certainly one of the best players and people acknowledged it. We were in control and it was also due to his 5 tackles/interceptions per half which is really great number, his passing wasn't any adventurous but was good enough and he had a great through ball to Lingard but you probably haven't even noticed it, neither his defensive work ... how many passes of that calibre had Rooney, Carrick, anyone who is expected to make them? Guess what zero.

I came here to say he did well, and you came here to criticise people who rate him highly yet the sentence in bold is complete bullshit, nobody praised herrera for last season, dunno what forum you read, I think everybody here acknowledged that he had a poor season and he certainly had a good game today..
  23. Aug 3, 2016

Kostur Full Member

Had a fecking horrible challenge in the beginning minutes where Barry just walked past him, needs to get rid of this stupid rashness because Carrick won't cover up for him but he's been a lot better than last games, pretty solid tonight. Missed his and Lingard's energy in the second half imo.
  24. Aug 3, 2016

Borys Full Member

Not really, I've been discussing this matter before, but not in this thread.
  25. Aug 3, 2016

Emdad Ahmed Full Member

:lol: People always need to criticize even after a good performance. I'll never understand why
  26. Aug 3, 2016

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    In a game that defined "meh" I thought Ander's performance was one of very few highlights. Miles better than his last game. Thought both him and Morgan looked a hell of a lot sharper.
  27. Aug 4, 2016

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

I saw positive signs and hope it continues, especially defensively he was good. Once he starts to be more positive going forward, he could really be in for a starting spot in the team
  28. Aug 4, 2016

RedStarUnited Full Member

I think he will start next to Pogba. Morgan might be a little better defensively but Herrera is a much better user of the ball and has great energy too.
  29. Aug 5, 2016

OldTrevil Full Member

Ander's defensive ability is underrated, he can be a very good box to box mid. Also I really want to see him moving with the ball upfield and taking more risks like his first season, something LVG clearly stopped him from doing.
  30. Threadmark: Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
    Aug 7, 2016

FreeHerrera Banned

Was really good defensively today. At one moment he came out of nowhere to stop a Leicester counter. I feel he contributed far more than Carrick did who seemed unable to do anything besides his trademark long passes. Hopefully we'll see Herrera play far more than Carrick in the league
  31. Aug 7, 2016

Glanville95 Full Member

Good cameo from him, provided a bit of fresh impetus from the bench.
  32. Aug 7, 2016

ManRant Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Agree, if he keep on doing this; applaying pressure rather than committing fouls he would be a better player.
  33. Aug 7, 2016

legball Full Member

He's a good squad player.
  34. Aug 7, 2016

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Agree with this, lacks consistency and seems to do 85% of things really well but the final 15% really lets him down.

Needs a good season or could be eased out next year in my view.
  35. Aug 7, 2016

Devil may care Full Member

Lively when he came on and made a couple of good interceptions, hope he starts against Bournemouth.
  36. Aug 7, 2016

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Almost feels like Mourinho is trying to mould Ander into the next Xabi Alonso. I can't remember a time in Ander's career when he's played so well as part of a double pivot. Of course, its difficult to judge based on pre-season, but its apparent that Mourinho is harnessing Ander's gifts in new ways to all his previous coaches. He is doing as much covering as pressing and he is doing both well.
  37. Aug 7, 2016

Footyislife Full Member

When Mourinho talks of players still not adapting away from LVG's philosophy, he's definitely looking at players like Herrera. Before LVG he used to have more natural attacking positioning, and could make defense splitting passes. Now he is very conservative with his forward runs, and makes the safe passes. If he can't look past LVG instructions he'll be a squad player.
  38. Aug 7, 2016

Devil81 Full Member

I think he will link up really well with Pogba, he's fundamentally a squad player, but he's an important squad player at that.
  39. Aug 7, 2016

bucky Full Member

Great name and tagline combo.
  40. Aug 7, 2016

Vilev Full Member

With the way things going he will probably be sold in January or next year. Not sure he will want to extend and his chances to establish himself as a main player are done i'm afraid.