Andre Onana

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Adnan, May 28, 2019.

1. Jun 1, 2019

Jibbs New Member

Not worth the spending...much rather promote henderson
  2. Jun 1, 2019

Adnan Full Member

He's better than De Gea on crosses. Almost unbeatable on one on ones according to @Ajaxsuarez too..
  3. Jun 1, 2019

Adnan Full Member

How many games have you seen him play?
  4. Jun 1, 2019

deafepl Full Member

I love romantic academy stuff but if United scouts are not convinced that Henderson can sweep as same as Onana, I am afraid we should let Henderson go and move for modern sweeper goalkeepers
  5. Jun 1, 2019

SambaBoy Full Member

I'd be wary of promoting Henderson without him ever playing in the top flight. Ben Foster looked even better in the Championship and did well in the Prem before he was promoted to United's no1. From the little I've heard/watched of Henderson it seems he's a different prospect than Foster, better with his feet and a better mentality but it's hard to know whether he can withstand being United's no1 without actually giving him the chance.

It's a big risk but I suppose if he is given the chance as no1 in the event De Gea leaves, then at least we have a strong back-up in Romero who can come in and take his place. Or alternatively, we can buy Onana and the position will be sorted if De Gea does leave.
  6. Jun 1, 2019

RC89 Full Member

Considering the amount of work that needs doing to our team and the financial outlay, I'd honestly rather we just promote Romero to first keeper. We know he's a safe pair of hands, and see if this Henderson is the real deal. If we lose faith in Henderson then it's a position we can look at a little further down the line.

Whenever Romero starts, the only thing that worries me with him is just how calm he looks in his demeanour. Nothing about his performances show a lack of concentration though. LVGs best signing.
  7. Jun 1, 2019

OohAahMartial Full Member

That's proper heart attack stuff. Reminds me of how it felt with Barthez between the sticks. Will certainly make games more exciting.
  8. Jun 1, 2019

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

He’s like the Eric Bailly of goalkeepers. Too eccentric.
  9. Jun 1, 2019

Jibbs New Member

I haven't seen him play much but closely followed Henderson this year, and I think he has all the ingredients to become future United and England number 1. We should give him all the opportunities to achieve that. It will not only save us in transfer fees but will also solve our goalkeeping problem for next 10 years, given De Gea leaves, which looks likely to happen.
  10. Jun 1, 2019

Loublaze ATLien

Romero is not first choice material. He's only played 7 PL games in his time here. He's perfectly comfortable at being number 2 as well. He's not ambitious and that's the position he'll hold until he leaves the club
  11. Jun 1, 2019

Adnan Full Member

That's fair enough..
  12. Jun 1, 2019

Womp idiot

Would prefer him to Henderson and this will probably be controversial, but to De Gea too. If DDG wants to leave, getting in a keeper who can build attacks from the back would be a big step towards us modernising our game.
  13. Jun 1, 2019

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Kahn even mentioned it was his careers biggest regret not to join United.

Just imagine we went Schmeichel > Kahn > Van der Sar > De Gea.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  14. Jun 1, 2019

Adnan Full Member

I actually wanted Francesco Toldo at the time but we ended up with Massimo Taibi instead.:lol:
  15. Jun 1, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Donnarumma.

We could probably get him for around what we'd sell De Gea for.
  16. Jun 1, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Think the jury is still out on Donnarumma but he could come good and is worth a punt.
  17. Jun 1, 2019

SteveW Full Member

He's been good this season. He's young and a very complete keeper already with s strong mentality.
  18. Jun 1, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

My only concern with Donnarumma, and this is hyper critical, as a big man, he struggles to get down low quick enough to save shots along the floor. I also think he'd get bullied to shit by big CF's who realise he's just a kid playing in a physical league.

He'd come good eventually though, I'm sure of that much. It just won't be smooth sailing.
  19. Jun 1, 2019

Tom Van Persie No relation

Funny how keepers like Alisson and Ederson don't get compared to Bailly...
  20. Jun 1, 2019

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    If that did happen it shouldn't take too long for Donnarumma to adjust. His sheer size should let him be one the who's doing the bullying.

I haven't watched him at all the last two years so I have no idea if he's kicked on and looking like he'll go on to be amongst the best, or whether the hype was purely because of his age and size. I watched a quick youtube video of his season and wasn't very impressed.
  21. Jun 1, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Think it was mostly hype. He’s been consistent but in a bad team. Interest has cooled in him due to his wages in his new deal. Only really PSG that have been rumoured to want to sign him, no one else seems that impressed by him.
  22. Jun 1, 2019

RC89 Full Member

Not seem any reason why he can't be first choice. Literally none. And who cares if he's ambitious or not. He just has to stop the ball. Pretty much all DDG does.
  23. Jun 1, 2019

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

They're like Bailly. There.
  24. Jun 1, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

Barthez wasnt quite as cool on the ball as those clips, just risky
  25. Jun 1, 2019

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

:lol:
  26. Jun 1, 2019

arthurka Full Member

:lol:

Yeah funny how they arent
  27. Jun 1, 2019

Devil may care Full Member

Onana is dynamic and would also aid our ability to distribute from the back, how is Henderson's distribution with his hands and feet?

Agreed, I think many would be in for a rude awakening if Romero played week in and week out rather than his half a dozen games a season cameo role.
  28. Jun 1, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Agree entirley.
  29. Jun 1, 2019

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    you have to keep in mind that that video is from his first season, so Bosz' system. Bosz' ridiculously high line, while amazing when it works, is what led to his demise at Dortmund, precisely because he didn't have the the defenders, but also not the goalie, for it. Onana was perfect for that, as evidenced by that vid.

Typical...

Onana is very secure in his ball handling and very (overly) calm on the ball. he's just occasionally over-eager in coming for it and misses it entirely (like 2-3 times this season)

that first clip where he lost the ball vs Groningen leading directly to a goal was clearly a foul that wasn't called, and it basically cost us the title.

This is what the ref had to say about it afterwards:
    still pisses me off so so much to this day
  30. Jun 1, 2019

Loublaze ATLien

It's not as simple as that. Romero is playing the role he was made for. He probably knows it himself, we can do better. The club wouldn't be looking for potential DDG replacements if they considered the experienced Romero good enough. His concentration is pretty shocking at times and at 32 its not something I expect to improve.

Indeed. He's been solid and has a very impressive haul of clean sheets against mostly weaker opposition but his flaws would be exposed more frequently if he played week in week out. He's probably replaced Van Der Gouw as United's best backup goalie in recent times though, maybe all times.
  31. Jun 6, 2019

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax

useful video
  32. Jun 14, 2019

poleglass red Full Member

he's actually more comfortable on the ball than all of our central defenders, which is sad.
  33. Jun 14, 2019

AKDevil Full Member

I like him. A lot of parrying and pushing but all understandable and ball put in good areas. Also holds the ball when he can. Would like to see a video of him coming off line for crosses. That feature of his game really stood out v Spurs. He’s a keeper I’d tune into a game to watch. They’re the best goalkeepers and there have been very few of them.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019