Annoyed Jose: "Fantasy and PlayStation football"

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by GM K, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017

GM K Full Member

After the game against Basel, an upset Jose Mourinho told BT, the following:

“Three points are important when you start the group phase at home. Until 2-0 we were very stable, with confidence and patience, with good choices, played quite well.

”After that everything changed. We stopped to think, we stopped playing simple, we stopped making the right decisions on the pitch and we could have put ourselves in trouble

“But they didn’t score. We tried to play fantasy football, tricks, and when you stop to play seriously I don’t like it. You gamble a bit. Maybe they felt the game was under control. But football is football, you have to respect opponents.”

Some are already saying these are the early signs of a Jose meltdown (he pushes and pushes his boys until someone or something snaps) while your regular guy sees it as a manager demanding total commitment and full concentration from his team.

What do you make of Jose's comments?

Do you agree with him?
  2. Sep 13, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Other than Mkhitaryan who is he talking about? There was one occasion when Matic gave the ball away right outside our box. Can't remember any outside those two.
  3. Sep 13, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

It's good to see this. Will keep players focus for Everton.
  4. Sep 13, 2017

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

There was some sloppy football at times yesterday.

Why can't players take criticism?
  5. Sep 13, 2017

Kostur Full Member

Don't think it's been overdone yesterday but he sees things different from the pitch I guess. If he expects the lads to play it the normal way and simply finish them off and they start fecking around, then sure, they'll get reprimanded.
  6. Sep 13, 2017

Oscie Full Member

We just dropped 2 points against Stoke, it's bound to annoy him more if the game after we look like we're being complacent, even if 2-0 up. Especially given complacency and concentration (in light of their 2nd goal at the weekend) is something you'd expect him to have bollocked the team for after Saturday.
  7. Sep 13, 2017

We need an rvn Full Member

I don't see why any player would take this personally and be hurt by it, especially as he didn't single out anyone. It's a smart comment by a manager who wants to players to keep focused at all times and he's reminding them that this is what he requires. If anything, as a player you should use this and make sure you're not one of the players who does that next time.
  8. Sep 13, 2017

2 Man Midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Jose is the master of building confidence without letting the players get ahead of themselves. Just prepping for Sunday.
  9. Sep 13, 2017

SirAF Ageist

Wtf, how are we even discussing this? Everything that man says is blow far out of proportion.

Nothing wrong with those comments, surley :confused:
  10. Sep 13, 2017

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

He cant be happy that we play it into the box and then mess it up
  11. Sep 13, 2017

Ballache Full Member

Jose meltdown :lol:

He's right, even commentators on Swedish TV pointed this out yesterday. Almost as if our focus was on Everton as soon as we got the second which is a very risky thing to do.
  12. Sep 13, 2017

Listar Full Member

I am still annoyed with the Stoke result, so I'm glad Mourinho is doing his best to iron out perceived complacency. If we are destined for great things this season, we should never get complacent, unless we are 4-0 up. I find it more acceptable to have a once a while off-day or being outplayed by superior opponents (for this season), but I cannot accept when we are leading inferior opponents and because of complacency (loses concentration) we lose them points.
  13. Sep 13, 2017

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Quotes please.
  14. Sep 13, 2017

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate Full Member

After the second goal the players looked relaxed and overconfident which led to some sloppy passing. They probably felt that the three points were already in the bag because the opposition didn't have much to offer. It didn't hurt us yesterday but we've seen many times in the PL a team being 2 goals up and its players looking overly confident until one silly mistake due to lack of concentration gets the opposition team right back into the game. And then you have the opposition players looking sharp and pushing for the equalizer with all they've got while your players are looking bedazzled and they're trying to figure out what the hell happened. This can cost crucial points during the course of the season and it's probably what Mourinho was hinting at. It wasn't a criticism directed to any player particularly but a warning bell against complacency in the near future. And tbf we haven't reached the level where we can downshift to first gear for huge parts of a game yet.
  15. Sep 13, 2017

wolvored Full Member

Thats football though. We will lose and draw against 'inferior' opponents, and beat 'superior' teams. The players tire, they are winning, take a bit of a breather, etc. If it was 1-0 or drawing, the intensity would of been there I'm sure. Hes just made a comment to keep them on their toes.
  16. Sep 13, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Fellaini back heel was :drool:
  17. Sep 13, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Absolutely. Jose's goading the players in public because he wants more from them. If they can't take criticism after a good win, when nothing bad has actually happened, how are they going to react under real pressure and adversity?
  18. Sep 13, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

He was asking players to focus and not lose concentration for 90 mins, that's how it should be.
  19. Sep 13, 2017

McGrathsipan Full Member

He's right. The players should be ruthless and try to score as many as possible in every game. PlayStation football can be kept for when were 6 nil up in games.
    Melt down my arse.
  20. Sep 13, 2017

Moonred Full Member

We are and have been sloppy for a number of years. It's no surprise that the manager can see that we sometimes don't take the simple option. It should work as a positive message towards our team. No chance of Jose melting down here.
  21. Sep 13, 2017

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Yeah, he wants total concentration and professionalism. That's what these players need. For one, if Basel had all of a sudden turned it on, we'd struggle to recover from the lapse of concentration and be on the backfoot. We've had a habit of doing that in recent years. And secondly, getting the players to consistently work that way will bode well for when we're only one up against stronger opposition.
  22. Sep 13, 2017

LoneStar Full Member

I agree with him. The players were playing very sloppily after the 2nd goal. Mikhi, especially was just running aimlessly into defenders and constantly losing the ball. I think one of the CB (Smalling?) slipped up and also the Matic slip up. Basel were bad yesterday, but another team could have easily punished us.
  23. Sep 13, 2017

RedStarUnited Full Member

Someone like Miki kept over running the ball when easy forward passes were on. I think thats what he meant.
  24. Sep 13, 2017

Mr Anderson Eats, shoots, leaves

Mostly Mihki here I think. He did try and was involved in a lot of the game unlike recent performances wehre he wasnt noticable until 60+ minutes, just couldnt get any form going consistently. Head down and running into people, more interested also in a nutmegs than getting the head up to see who is in space. A few sloppy passes aswell late from Matic if I recall, put us in trouble. No meltdown, just obvious.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  25. Sep 13, 2017

Red Katie Full Member

We have been lacking concentration and at times looked complacent over the last few years, so Jose is right to keep them on their toes a little.
  26. Sep 13, 2017

IrishRedDevil Full Member

Mkhitaryan was sloppy, which is quite a regular thing. Not sure if anyone else was particularly bad.
  27. Sep 13, 2017

Nevilles.Wear.Prada Full Member

Supports:
    JDT
    Typical boss demanding more to keep his staff on the edge, even after a good result. wtf.. Happens to us daily. Move on.
  28. Sep 13, 2017

Nevilles.Wear.Prada Full Member

Supports:
    JDT
    Three things sells papers, United, Mourinho and meltdowns. Hate em.
  29. Sep 13, 2017

TheReligion Abusive

Who is quoted as saying it's the early signs of a meltdown?

Or are you just chatting shit..
  30. Sep 13, 2017

FultonRed Full Member

No meltdown here and nowt wrong with what he said at all. He's just keeping the players alert and on their toes and warning them that doing the same against a better side might no yield the same result. Think he is absolutely right to say what he did and he didn't single anyone out either so imo it's all good.
  31. Sep 13, 2017

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

This, grown men who get paid to play football. The demands on them should be great and the standards sky effing high.

You'll work for fifteen years and retire in comfort. Give it your bloody all.
  32. Sep 13, 2017

Dante Shares his caf joinday with Badunk

Supports:
    United!
    Scousers on Twitter, probably. Don't worry about it.
  33. Sep 13, 2017

SirAF Ageist

Meltdown.. the quotes aren't even worthy of an own thread. Should be in the post match thread.
  34. Sep 13, 2017

Gonçalo Motta Full Member

Someone that has Mourinho's CV already saw this happening numerous times. Teams start to get over confident and mistakes start to happen, leading to points and trophies lost.
    Nothing wrong with what he said and I don't expect anything less from him
  35. Sep 13, 2017

Cliche Guevara Full Member

This is the kind of thing you say when you've won easily but not spectacularly.

Keeps the players on their toes. Also lets them know that if they are trying to play fantasy football they need to make sure it comes off.
  36. Sep 13, 2017

AngliaRed New Member

He's just keeping the players grounded as some players were making champions league debuts and doesn't want them to get carried away.

Nothing more to it.
  37. Sep 13, 2017

Adnandos Full Member

Good to hear, keep em focused Jose
  38. Sep 13, 2017

GM K Full Member

I do not chat shit my friend.

When I said 'some', I was referring to observations I have personally made in chat rooms, comments sections of blogs/sites etc. Unfortunately, I cannot share such links. You might just want to stick to the core of the post.
  39. Sep 13, 2017

VP89 likes to shower with phones

Whilst it's good to keep the players on their toes, and they won't be adversely affected by this, I still find it bizzare he used the words he did to complain.

Pogba has often fluffed about with the ball like he's playing FIFA 18 or something. Nothing has ever been said publicly then. I'm only using him as an example as he's done it in deeper areas and not in advanced position where such trickery is needed to unlock a defence.

I reckon the criticism was a bit harsh because we seemed broadly quite resolute as a team, keeping Basels clear chances to just one or two. Clearly that's one or two too many I guess.
  40. Sep 13, 2017

Kostov Full Member

Can the manager criticize some sloppy plays after the game without people drumming about meltdown?

We shouldn't let the result mask some of the frustrating plays we saw last night. There were a lot of misplaced passes and bad decisions which against better teams would cost us.
    Let Jose manage them, he is a much bigger winner than any of the players and knows what it takes to build a team, he's been there and done it.

If someone ''snaps'', he should be showed the door and go play for Arsenal.