Ante Rebic...

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Rozay, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jul 11, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Seems to have been some Ante Rebic to United links in Sportbild today.

Certainly seems a player destined for bigger things - although I’m not sure he is of the real top level of talent. That said, he’s got good character and is a powerful player and runner.
  2. Jul 11, 2018

Yagami Full Member

I'm a fan. Have been since we sent Varela on loan to Eintracht.

Going into the tournament, alongside Brozovic and Kramaric, he was the Croatian player I was most looking forward to seeing.
  3. Jul 11, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

Mourinho would love him. Not sure the fans would.
  4. Jul 11, 2018

Quizierda Full Member Scouse Lover

Another average player who would cost us a lot of money..
  5. Jul 11, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Only ever seen him in the game against Argentina, had a massive brain fart moment but then did score an absolute beauty (thanks in part to the keeper).
  6. Jul 11, 2018

Dolf Full Member

Probably as a back up striker though right? Not really considered to be a huge talent like Martial / Dembele / Pulisic so that's the only reason I can think of.
  7. Jul 11, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Reckon he’s a Perisic level of talent. Not a special player by any means, but the right team could get lucky and get high value out of him.
  8. Jul 11, 2018

arthurka Full Member

He is a great striker. Power and work, got Mourinho written all over him.
  9. Jul 11, 2018

Dr. StrangeHate New Member

Probably the most Mourinho right winger in the whole world cup after Willian.
  10. Jul 11, 2018

Scarecrow Having a week off

He's made for the PL, this guy. Very physical player and probably plays with the most effort in this Croatian team. His passing, decision making and finishing are not very polished though.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  11. Jul 11, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

he strikes me as more of a Newscastle player than a Utd. player.
  12. Jul 11, 2018

ReddyMcRedface New Member

I'd never heard of him before the tournament but thought he looked much better than Perisic in the group games against Nigeria and Argentina.

Was really looking forward to seeing what he could do in the knockouts but think he's been very underwhelming in those games, as Croatia have as a whole. Will be interesting to see him tonight because he'll have, in theory, a bit more space to work with in the gaps behind Young and Trippier.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at United, but as I said, that's based on nothing more than a couple of group games.
  13. Jul 11, 2018

Yagami Full Member

They're not, no. His technique is hit and miss as you say, but I still like him. I do think we should be prioritising other areas in the squad, though. For me, even though he mainly plays on the left at the moment, he could develop into a CF/SS in the Rooney/Tevez mould, though I doubt he'd ever be as good as those two.

I think he could be like Park Ji-Sung player in the squad.
  14. Jul 11, 2018

Hellboy Full Member

We won’t mount any serious title challenges with second rate players like this guy.
  15. Jul 11, 2018

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

What a transfer window this would be
  16. Jul 11, 2018

luke511 Full Member

Agents are going to engineer these rumours after a successful world cup, his value will be at a premium so it makes sense. I doubt we're actually in for him.
  17. Jul 11, 2018

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Has had a good world cup but there seems little other evidence of him being a top talent and we would obviously need that to consider signing him.
  18. Jul 11, 2018

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

I can see why Jose would want him, he's a workhorse....but little more. When Jose leaves, he'll be another squad player on around 100k a week that the new manager cannot shift but cannot integrate into the team if he's looking to move to faster, more attack-minded football.

I'm not convinced we're in for him though. More of a plant by his agent to drum up interest, it makes sense on paper but I honestly don't see any more signings unless we somehow get a CB.
  19. Jul 11, 2018

DickDastardly New Member

Supports:
    UTD
    He's a fukin beast he is.

Not the smartest cookie in the jar but he's got heart and lungs. Not to mention he can take on players and bully fullbacks.
    And i dont mean bully them like Rashford with speed, i mean bully them like for realz.

He's a strong motherfecker. And a cannon in his feet.

Of all our NT players, i would love to see Ante in United shirt.

Watched him live a couple of years years back, when our youth team played somebody, they looked like kindergarten boys compared to him. Funny to watch.

Still young too.
  20. Jul 11, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

The very definition of average. His work rate is the only thing that stand out.
  21. Jul 11, 2018

ti vu Full Member

I agree with this angle.

He is not top talent nor ready made for specific role. Very lacking in end product. He has good attribute and kinda catching teams off guard this WC, but it's more expected for teams to be able to learn to contain him with time rather than him kicking up another level upon joining a big club. It's not like we don't have young attacker to develop. In reality, beside Martial & Rashford, Chong may knock on the door soon and with Gomez & Greenwood not far behind
  22. Jul 11, 2018

politico Banned

Another Karel Poborsky. Buying a player off of an above-average/good international tournament performance is short sighted.
  23. Jul 11, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Agree with just about everyone in this thread.
  24. Jul 11, 2018

izec Full Member

He would be a decent squad option if we can get him for a decent fee. He could fulfill the winger and potentially the wingback role. He shouldnt be seen mainly as a goalscoring hub or creativity hub, but someone using his pace and workrate in certain situations/games, where he would be super useful in punishing teams. A bit like Mandzukic for Juve.
  25. Jul 11, 2018

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    Isn't he a Left sided player
  26. Jul 11, 2018

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

Cheers for the response in the other thread. Hopefully he's shite today but I have liked what I've seen but generally trust scouting and don't like to go off a tournament. You mentioned he's more likely to be a LW/FW than an out and out RW though. You don't think he'd be a vast improvement on our right side for now at least?
  27. Jul 11, 2018

ti vu Full Member

How would he be super useful in punishing teams? He lacks end product. The best you can expect from him is he to carry the ball all the way to corner flag then killing time.
  28. Jul 11, 2018

izec Full Member

He wont score 20 goals a season, but he is a good player. If you want to see how he can punish teams, ask Bayern.
  29. Jul 11, 2018

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

He's the typical Mourinho's Ante football signing.

Sorry guys I couldn't resist
  30. Jul 11, 2018

ti vu Full Member

So some here and there goal/ good performance makes a good player? If so, Welbeck should be bought back. And we have young players that are very good players given how better record they have comparing to Rebic.

At top flight level (not highest level/ competition) Rebic has not being able to break 2 digits of goal & assists. So not event that impactful as squad player to begin with. His decision making and consistency of his technique is bad. It's like adding more problem to the mess.
  31. Jul 11, 2018

luke511 Full Member

Yakubu punished us in 2012 and scored a hattrick against us, didn't mean he would've been a good signing for us though..
  32. Jul 11, 2018

RW2 Full Member

Supports:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Will be sorry to see him leave EF, but he'll end up reunited with Niko Kovac at Bayern

That's pretty much a guarantee.
  33. Jul 11, 2018

izec Full Member

jesus christ, if we buy him, then there is a reason for it. Our scouts didnt watch him only at the WC or only against Bayern. Or what excuse will you come up with?

We wont buy Mbappe or any other flashy winger, get used to it. We just gave Fellaini a 2 year contract, or do you think Jose cares that half the time he plays like a sack of shite. Perisic and Maadzukic links should ring a bell.
  34. Jul 11, 2018

AndersB New Member

Would love Rebic at OT. Really impressed me this WC. Great character too. Think he'd be decent at pi**ing off rival players too
  35. Jul 11, 2018

do.ob Full Member

Is there even an EF left after this summer?
  36. Jul 11, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Yeah same.
  37. Jul 11, 2018

luke511 Full Member

I think our scouts haven't watched him at all and it's a bullshit rumour :D
  38. Jul 11, 2018

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

If he was a RB or WB I think he'd be an OK signing, he works hard and is powerful which makes Mourinho wet, but for a winger he lacks skill, he's technically average and doesn't have any flair or guile, a blunt object.
  39. Jul 11, 2018

ti vu Full Member

If it's our scout work then time will tell how thing would turn out, while we fans have opinions. Your initial post however, is your opinion which I and the other poster pointed out the flaw in the reasoning.

I look at Rebic like this. Perhaps in the future he may mature into a good player enough for a top teams, squad player or starter. As for now, he needs plenty of development as decision making, the consistency of his technique ain't good. I see that we don't have space for such underdeveloped squad player. Squad player it's ideal to have player that can carry specific role with consistency. For the role of super wild card sub, we have someone like Martial who need game time.

Rebic is like Arnautovic years ago freshly arriving in PL. He is good enough now for a squad role for us, (but expensive so it's another story). However you wouldn't sign him back in the days simply because you can't develop him or rely on him as squad player. He's better developing else where and in scenario like Stoke was relegated one year earlier, it's ideal to pick up these squad player at decent price
  40. Jul 11, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    he is better than all our current right sided attacking players by far