1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice
Anthony Martial image France flag

Anthony Martial 2018-19 Performances

Jump to: Everton 4:0 Man Utd

View full 2018-19 profile

5.7 Average rating
36 Appearances
12 Goals
3 Assists
2 Yellow cards
  1. Feb 11, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

Why would he think he's the finished article? Thata just making up assumptions based on nothing. In few interviews already he sppke how OGS is helping him and the others work to sniff out more chances and score more tap ins. It's not about wanting or not wanting. Probably you're reading too much into it. like one of those body language things again
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Feb 11, 2019

yfoFC Full Member

Exactly, and then one remembers a certain Arjen Robben who made a career out of repeating one particular skill most of the time to great effect and the argument that players must constantly add new facets to their game to be relevant just goes straight out the window.

Not saying Martial shouldn't improve but adding "left leg usage, heading, going outside, inside and on top" is just plain nonsense.
  3. Feb 11, 2019

Raven Full Member

You'll notice that I insulted nobody and that I've actually stated where I think he can improve. The reason I said what I said is because, you have, at every turn, shat on Martial. Yesterday he scored one of our goals of the season and got a nice assist and you come in here, questioning his mentality.
  4. Feb 11, 2019

yfoFC Full Member

You see, that's where the issue emanates from and why it forever confuses you how the French lad can have the level of support he currently has.

Your complete inability to acknowledge that Jose mishandled him and putting all the blame for his poor form on "not getting his head down" is just plain laughable at this point and worse as you now have hindsight to aid you.
  5. Feb 11, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Oop here's one. Everyone watch. Twisted words, made up narratives and mental gymnastics in true style. This is one of the fellas Martial FC was about.

I think Jose mishandled everyone, and regularly said so. I always wanted Martial to do well, and continually said as such. Now what's your argument when you can't make stuff up?
    You can't handle that anyone was frustrated with him for a while and for some reason can't see that that can happen AND someone want him to do well at the same time. You have to resort to nonsense.
  6. Feb 11, 2019

yfoFC Full Member

Great post.

Especially the bolded, Martial himself has alluded to that in the press conference

7. Feb 11, 2019

Kapardin Full Member

Let's drop the arguments, we have a fecking player on our hands, and more importantly, he wants to stay at the club for quite awhile as he is settled from the looks of it. Good times ahead.:drool:
  8. Feb 11, 2019

Pace Abuser Full Member

Martials biggest problem is lack of development and that's down to coaching and tactics. He really needs a manager who believes in him and has the knowledge to extract maximum out of him

The lad is talented but is a certain type of character that needs nurturing. Ole in my opinion is doing that. The way he tapped the badge with his finger at the Emirates after scoring shows a confidence and positive mentality that has been absent for a while.

Why are folk arguing? He's been wildly inconsistent because of many variables and everyone has some truth to their opinion of why he's been up and down.
  9. Feb 11, 2019

yfoFC Full Member

Sure, but you also said this

The bolded part is the issue, Martial allowed his off the field issues affect his game in Jose's first season and no one complained when he was dropped from the team then.

From the second season on, it was mostly Jose's fault for his bad form especially after he had shrugged off Rashford's competition to become first choice LW and then the Sanchez debacle. This is where you and "MartialFCers" don't see eye to eye.

I would not want to start doing a minute by minute chronicle on how Jose was being especially unfair to Martial but it played a bigger role in his bad form than "Martial not getting his head down."
  10. Feb 11, 2019

yfoFC Full Member

Fair enough, barring any unforeseen circumstance then the above will be my final response to the discussion... not argument :wenger:
  11. Feb 11, 2019

yfoFC Full Member

True enough.
  12. Feb 11, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

13. Feb 11, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

What can't he do?
  14. Feb 11, 2019

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

You are correct and he doesn't mind being pushed by the coach, something that LVG loves to do and Mourinho seemingly hates. At the risk of upsetting a few, from the little I have seen of him at Molde, he seems to be like LVG on the training pitch, pushing players and being very direct/honest.
  15. Feb 11, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

16. Feb 11, 2019

17. Feb 11, 2019

InfiniteBoredom Full Member

Tbf plenty of players had the talent to be comparable to Ronaldo though, but you have mentality being the one stumbling block (Quaresma) or injuries (Robben) preventing that from fruition.

Would I love it if Martial wins a Balon d’Or one day? Yes. Would I lose any sleep if he doesn’t? No. As long as he is consistently good and help delivering us trophies, all is well.
  18. Feb 11, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

If he's half as good I'll be very happy with him to be honest.
  19. Feb 11, 2019

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    :lol:
  20. Feb 11, 2019

Neptyk New Member

In the next season i see him getting the golden boot.
  21. Feb 11, 2019

GioF New Member

Yeah without a doubt right wing is the area in need of the big investment this summer. It will change the whole structure and balance of our team.

At the minute we are predictable as our left side is so dominant and our right side is so narrow (either Jesse or Juan) that it floods the middle of the pitch.

If we can spread teams out to defend the whole pitch we will see even more gaps for Pogba/Martial/Rashford.

One other thing that doesn’t get spoken about in regards to this opinion is the fact we have the biggest pitch going so by maximising the space helps all our attacking players.

When we have a right winger who cuts in and basically becomes a number 10 it floods the area in which we are at our strongest.

Let’s just buy Sancho and call it a day!! Can just change the ‘Ole at the wheel’ song from Sanchez to Sancho

Sorry Alexis
  22. Feb 11, 2019

bond19821982 Full Member

I would be happy with a Henry level to be honest. Ronaldo and Messi are on a different league .
  23. Feb 11, 2019

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I am excited with this guy at the moment. I think things are starting to fall onto place with him. He's about to take off.
  24. Feb 11, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

Psg aint ready for the sauce.
  25. Feb 11, 2019

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    I imagine this is the reaction he gave Jose when he was asking him to play as a LB.
  26. Feb 11, 2019

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

:lol:
  27. Feb 12, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I presume it’s been pointed out a million times already but I immediately thought of Ronaldo’s goal against the same opposition when Martial scored.
  28. Feb 12, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

I remember so many people saying he hasn't been much better and didn't show anything different these games.
    The stats clearly show otherwise.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...-gunnar-solskjaer-effect-at-manchester-united

Some fans only measure improvement on goals+assits but if we look deeper martial was very involved and contributing even without scoring.

Didn't stop things like "he needs workate" "lacked intensity" or " needs to affect the game more"
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  29. Feb 12, 2019

Santoryo ripping the reward

Good piece from sky. People who have kept going on about him not scoring or assisting weren't watching our games properly or were just being bias(probably in order to fit their agendas).

Things like goals and assists, especially in small samples like 5 and less games could also be determined by luck which was a bit of a case with Martial in his first few games since Ole took over. He was unlucky to not have grabbed more goals and assists. People should have looked at his chances created because things like assists are a consequences from those.

He created the most chances and was unlucky not have bagged more goals. His overall play was clearly good but unfortunately some people only likened good games with goals and assits.

Like mentioned Martial was unlucky to not have had more goals and assits but things would have always eventually evened out and that's what we're seeing lately from him bagging goals and assists again.
  30. Feb 12, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

That's why stats will always be overrated in football.

You can watch a match and sometimes it tells a completely different story to how the stats look at the end.

Compare the stats against Fulham recently, we completely dominated them but in the end the stats look fairly equal.
  31. Feb 12, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

That's why was scratching my head reading posts like this even after we had just come out from win and another good performance.

The team playing well is more important than any one player but when it comes to Martial specifically people's don't analyse his games rationally and just repeat lazy stuff they heard from somewhere else.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  32. Feb 12, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    He started poorly under Solskjaer but he's picked up in the last couple of games. In fact his performances are probably better now than they were under Mourinho - although he was already improving sharply when Mourinho was sacked.

The main thing is that his off-the-ball stuff is getting better. He's staying with the opposition full-back when he overlaps, winning the ball back in deep areas, and most importantly he's making those killer runs when the ball's in the middle of the pitch or on the side. He's challenging the shoulder of the right-back all the time, which he wasn't doing before.

He's got all the skills, so as long as he's working at the ugly stuff he'll be a top player.
  33. Feb 12, 2019

Majima Full Member

Got a feeling he is going to smash it tonight. PSG ain't ready for it. Come on Anthony! :devil:
  34. Feb 12, 2019

Santoryo ripping the reward

See that's where you're wrong. He might not have been scoring left and right but in no way was he poor.
  35. Threadmark: Man Utd 0:2 PSG
    Feb 12, 2019

NinjaFletch Full Member

Probably lucky to go off at half time in many respects because that first half was shocking.
  36. Feb 12, 2019

Wade3 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Poor showing, it’s still too easy to limit him by just adding a second defender. He really needs to master playing off the ball in those situations more. Touching it deep, he’ll always see a second defender and won’t be able to have the impact he can have on a game.
  37. Feb 12, 2019

el3mel Full Member

He was hardly involved in the match before getting subbed so using his sub as excuse is weird. Poor today.
  38. Feb 12, 2019

Mcking Full Member

I feel he usually struggles against any decent side, any decent full back.
  39. Feb 12, 2019

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Yeah, let’s hold the Cristiano comparisons for a bit.
  40. Feb 12, 2019

Hope he's fit for Newcastle. He's had too many muscle problems this season.