View full 2018-19 profile

5.9 Average rating
14 Appearances
7 Goals
1 Assist
1 Yellow card
  1. Nov 8, 2018

InfiniteBoredom Full Member

I’d imagine before he signs he’d already have some assurance about his involvement in the team. It’d be pointless to discuss how much he’ll get if that’s not cleared first.
  2. Nov 8, 2018

ShinjiNinja26 Full Member

Absolute quality!! Just pay whatever's required for him to sign a new deal.
  3. Nov 8, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

For all the people talking about Martial not earning as much with another club than at United, you’re ignoring one very big thing. United have not competed for any major honors since Martial has been here.

Sure he may not earn as much as Sanchez here or at another club, but a player may be more willing to compromise on wages if there are other positives to being at the club, which there are very few of currently, besides our wages.

It’s all well and good saying “we only want players who want to be here” but that’s really not a practical ideal to run a club by. Players will want to be here when we’re winning important trophies and competing properly at the highest level. Until we reach that level again, we can’t say “we’ll you won’t earn this amount elsewhere, get stuffed” to our most talented/2nd most talented player and best attacker.
  4. Nov 8, 2018

-Supreme- New Member

Realistically which top European teams he'd guarantee to start on a regular basis and able to match Utd financially?
  5. Nov 8, 2018

huyn Full Member

Supports:
    FC Nantes
    back in the French national team.
  6. Nov 8, 2018

PepsiCola Full Member

I need one extended GIF of his last 10 minutes last night.

Man I'd like to see a wall of shame of posts claiming no top club would be in for him should we sell him.
  7. Nov 8, 2018

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    I thought the same at first, but when they showed the replay it looked like a defender got his foot in there before Fellaini. That play also led to the freekick Mata scored from, so it all worked out in the end.

Would have been some goal though...
  8. Nov 8, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

Utd are still likely to offer him more money then most other clubs would without getting near what Sanchez earns.
  9. Nov 8, 2018

Sylar Full Member

He does seem to be working harder without the ball too. I dont know if his fitness is better now (before it seemed like he wouldnt track back, and would save that energy for going the other way). Now it seems like hes getting up and down. And hes closer to their goal when he gets the ball.

Obviously a run in the team helps and he does seem a confidence player.
    Glad hes still a United player.
  10. Nov 8, 2018

CA1 Full Member

Absolutely delighted for him.

He's working harder and reaping the rewards. Glad he's back in the France squad as its rewarded hard work.
  11. Nov 8, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Great news for the lad. More confidence for him. He's becoming our main player.
  12. Nov 8, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Great news. This should spur him on.
  13. Nov 8, 2018

Toddler New Member

I think he was again our best player yesterday. Most of our (we did not exactly have that many though) quality plays ran through him.
  14. Nov 8, 2018

VanGaalEra Full Member

Martial/Pogba and De Gea. We need to have all of them on long term contracts (Pogba already is) and build the side around them!
  15. Nov 8, 2018

VanGaalEra Full Member

Get a right sided version of him and we’d have a devastating attack.
  16. Nov 8, 2018

Frank Grimes Full Member

17. Nov 8, 2018

el3mel Full Member

18. Nov 8, 2018

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Yep. They are only 3 players who we can't lose. Others can be replaced.
  19. Nov 8, 2018

CA1 Full Member

Couldn't have said it any better myself to be honest.
  20. Nov 8, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

He has been since he returned to the team. His workrate has doubled, in possession and out of it.
  21. Nov 8, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Yeah. Although especially visible last night I thought.
  22. Nov 8, 2018

LoveFootball New Member

Proving me right this Mr Anthony Martial. Never lost faith in the lad. He's yet to reached his 2015-2016 level; when he does, we'll have a monster of a player and Mbappe will be talked in the past tense.
  23. Nov 8, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

Sounds about right.
  24. Nov 8, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

Correct but it would've helped if he was playing regularly. You cannot show your potential if you don't play.
    First time he started 6 straight games for Jose. He once played 19 straight games under LVG.
    It's all about game time.
    He missed out on a World Cup medal becase he wasn't playing and that's quite frustrating. I know I would be.
  25. Nov 8, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Is this the last international break of the year?
  26. Nov 8, 2018

cyberman Full Member

I thought he was playing exactly as he did before he was dropped?
  27. Nov 8, 2018

Regulus Arcturus Black Banned

He missed out on a WC medal through average to poor performances for France, although his United form didn’t help.
    He’s such a talent he doesn’t need 6 straight games to pick himself, he showed that upon his arrival in England.
  28. Nov 8, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

Paul Ince just compared him to Eden Hazard. Said nobody will want to play against him at the minute.
  29. Nov 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

No way, Deschamps has an agenda against Martial as well. Just trust those that are proud to be seen as Martial FC, you know those people that are self-admittedly bias for him :angel:
  30. Nov 8, 2018

Ashley R1+O New Member

Don't worry, I've been one of the ones most critical about his lack of off the ball movement. You can see at least SOME improvement to want to come in and intereact and basically just have a go. The goals in my opinion have given him that confidence and have helped his game. That Bornemouth first goal where he hung off the defender and then came inside and straight down the barrel unmarked for the strike at goal just inside the box was exactly what was missing from his game in the last couple of seasons.

He's doing more defensive work, he's coming inside to collect and facilitate play and he's generally trying harder. I think you're correct he can take his game further but he's always been able to do that he just needs to get his head right mentally and the confidence will definitely help that going forward.
  31. Nov 8, 2018

Greck Full Member

Don't think he missed out because of poor performances for France. He created a brilliant goal in his last game for France and had a good showing. Personally can't remember a poor game
  32. Nov 8, 2018

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

I want to see him still more centrally as the guy who initiates the teams attack from deep as a SS.

He does it at LW anyway - our whole teams attack seem to be really down to his ability start an attack by falling deep to receive the ball & taking a defender on - the only problem with that is that it comes from only ever one angle - the left. The rest of our attack seems a bit damp on the other side & to me that is not down to a lack of a RW.

If we have Martial as the central guy playing a bit deep with Sanchez & Rashford on either side of him - that would allow those two to make off the ball runs that Martial is not the best at. Also they provide better defensive intent to back the fullbacks.

Play Sanchez & Rashford as wide forwards with Martial in the middle starting the attacks & that's the best that can be done in my opinion.
  33. Nov 9, 2018 at 00:44

AR87 Full Member

I don't have an issue with trying that out but Sanchez, while good at pressing up front, is a liability when he has to track runners. After a corner yesterday we cleared the ball, Lingard ended up at ST, Martial at RW and Sanchez at LW. Sanchez completely turned off and allowed Juve to create an easy 2v1 against Shaw which created a threatening opportunity for Juve. He's just not disciplined in that sense and never has been.

I'd experiment with that setup in a match at home we're likely to dominate against lower level opposition, but I wouldn't trust Sanchez to execute in that capacity in matches against top level opposition.
  34. Nov 9, 2018 at 00:52

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Sounds like how we played him under Van Gaal. Reminded me of that game against Southampton I think it was when Martial looked a ready made striker. I would like to see him in the box a lot more, imagining his turning and close control in those central areas so close to the goal makes my eyes pop out of my head a bit.
  35. Nov 9, 2018 at 00:58

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

The thing is though - I wouldn't have Sanchez or Rashford as wingers that are made to cover the fullback. I'd rather have them as RF & LF with players like Shaw, young dalpt & Valencia playing as wing backs that cover the whole wide angle of the pitch & dropping back to a defense of 3 at the back that can split wider when on the back foot.

To me - a back 3 sorts out or weak defense, it allows the wing backs to be more attacking whilst providing defensive cover only when needed while to palayers like Martial, Rashford, Sanchez & Lukaku can focus purely on attacking.

Right now - our defense actually revolves a lot around the wingers actually falling back in to their own half & providing cover. I don't think that is needed, nor does it suit anyone. Jose himself said that we were more defensive last season & it was easily seen at how wide and deep our wingers were.

Play 2 forwards with a supportive striker like Martial. Play wingbacks to cover the channels & make a wide line of central defenders with one player who can dictate play from deep - maybe playing Lindelof in the middle with a defender on either side of him. We can have a back 5 in defence purely by defenders only & having an attack of a front 4 when the wingbacks want to get forward.

Pogba & Fred or Pereira would be absolutely free to do as they please.
  36. Nov 9, 2018 at 02:11

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

fecking love the quick one-two's he does whilst driving at the box surrounded by players.

Looks so bloody slick when it comes off and really threatens.
  37. Nov 9, 2018 at 03:55

Regulus Arcturus Black Banned

@JPRouve @kouroux any opinions on this?
  38. Nov 9, 2018 at 04:29

Sayros Full Member

He missed out because he wasn't playing as much anymore, and if you're riding the bench with the competition for his position in the French NT, it's going to be difficult to get in there. Now, that being said, he never really lit it up with France either, he's had a couple of decent games but nothing to make him stand out compared to his competition for those spots.

You two should keep quoting each other, you're basically peddling the same argument with a desperate need for people to acknowledge that Martial is some kind of a new player thanks to Mourinho's terrible man management since Sanchez. Unfortunately for that argument, in the very press conference Deschamps talks about Martial, he said that Martial's already shown in the past what he's showing now that's making him recall him. He just lacks consistency, some of it is his own fault, but we also know the other reason why starting last January.

For all the talk about Martial FC, the Jose brigade is a sight to behold.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 04:45
  39. Nov 9, 2018 at 04:46

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Mail, saying a new deal is close.
  40. Nov 9, 2018 at 05:17

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

He had a shit game after that Germany game. A friednly that was key leading up to the World Cup. Terrible timing