Antoine Griezmann| Catalunya Radio say Griezmann to Barcelona is done for €100m

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by charlenefan, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 4, 2017

Lentwood Full Member

I think we would be absolutely mad not to get this tied up as soon as possible. There is this idea that buying in January is a bad idea but I think that is more to do with clubs panic buying and paying over the odds.

We know what it will cost us to sign Griezmann and we are almost certain that he wants to play for us. If we are 2nd/3rd in the league it could be the difference between scrabbling for top 4 and winning the title. Players like Griezmann become available very, very infrequently so let's get this done in January and start thinking about a RB/LB (depending on Shaw this season) as our priority for summer 2018
  2. Sep 4, 2017

Fridge chutney Full Member

Don't forget the little magician Mata who has contributed to more of our goals over the past few years than almost anyone else!
  3. Sep 4, 2017

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

That makes a lot of sense actually. Zlatan a stop gap for Griezmann, doesn't sound too bad now does it!
  4. Sep 4, 2017

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

He'll still be able to play in the Europa League in January ;)
  5. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

That's all Ibra was ever going to be given that he was originally only considered for a 1 plus 1 deal. He could of course stay on as player/coach after, but that depends on the circumstances at the time.
  6. Sep 4, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

Agree
  7. Sep 4, 2017

RC89 Full Member

Are we doing this already? Summer window is barely shut. Feck it. All aboard the muppet train!!! :keano:
  8. Sep 4, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Feck yeah!!
  9. Sep 4, 2017

Dennis Viollet New Member

this time United will do business in the trasnfert window of January
  10. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

Note the dodgy sourcing in the OP. The Mirror by way of Marca and Mundo Deportivo.
  11. Sep 4, 2017

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Doubt he'll stick around. Think he's got a few years left in him at another top club. Maybe not quite our level, but one or two below, and I'm sure there would be plenty of teams desperate to sign him (if his latest lay off hasn't effected him too much of course).
  12. Sep 4, 2017

izec Full Member

Make a deal in January for him to come in summer. That would also suit Atletico and us. Think Ibra and Griezmann would be too much, i would rather bring in another midfielder or winger in January if needed.
  13. Sep 4, 2017

Harry190 Full Member

This is the type of price you pay for a player you need. We do not need him. Will maintain this boat has sailed.
  14. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

There have been rumblings of him joining the coaching staff after this year, which is why I mentioned the possibility of a Giggs style player/coach situation. I can see Zlatan going into some form of management down the road sometime and learning under Mourinho would be a great way to get his foot in the door.
  15. Sep 4, 2017

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

The issue is IF Barcelona also wants to sign him. Assuming both clubs offer a similar level of salary, it becomes very difficult, as lifestyle choice of Manchester vs Barcelona is very difficult to persuade.

The one factor hopefully in our favor is it seems that our projected progress and trophy winning potential is further ahead than Barcelona's right now.

DDG
    Bailly, AN Other
    Matic
    Pogba
    Greizeman
    Lukaku

is possibly the best spine of a team in world football.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  16. Sep 4, 2017

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Big transfers rarely happen in January and he wouldn't eligible for CL. It's better if we can have in deal in place whereby he joins for preseason 2018.
  17. Sep 4, 2017

izec Full Member

On the other hand he loves it in Spain, would be closer to the French border (family?), his wife is from there and i also think he has some good connections with the Barca/Spanish players anyway. He also seems to be digging the Spanish/Latino lifestyle he adopted from the South American and Spanish players at Atletico. Wont be a straightforward decision if Barca come calling. Hopefully they wont.
  18. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin Staff

Not only what you said, but also playing under Mourinho and linking up the Pogba and the French speaking contingent here.
  19. Sep 4, 2017

We need an rvn Full Member

He'd be an improvement on Mata if it were to happen so see no reason to be that :(
  20. Sep 4, 2017

acnumber9 Full Member

If he was loyal enough not to leave them in the lurch this summer would he ruin that by signing for Barcelona or Real Madrid? Debatable I'd say.
  21. Sep 4, 2017

Adnandos Full Member

How do we not need him? Hes easily one of the best forwards in the world, which is the type of player you're forced to pay this money for. He'd be an upgrade in the attacking positions of every team in the country.
  22. Sep 4, 2017

Jacky Quacky made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once

De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Jones Blind
    Matic Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Griezmann Rashford
    Lukaku

If this is our starting 11 by February and we're still top of the league I can see it happening.

Griezmann would work really well with Lukaku I think, he thrives off strikers that are less technical than he is but provide vital goals.

And if we get bored go for a front three of

Matic
    Mkhitaryan Pogba
    Lukaku Ibrahimovic Griezmann

Just to see the impact :smirk:
  23. Sep 4, 2017

As an expat, distance to his France based family from Manchester and Barcelona shouldn't really make a massive difference. You need to get onto a plane either way. And a move to Manchester is just for a few years of his life, when you can't really enjoy your host city because of dietary and training demands.

I suspect he will make a footballing decision, and if he does, we should be more attractive than Barcelona for several reasons including those listed below by @Raoul. I personally think Barcelona are in a relative state of freefall and it will take at least 3 years for them to get back to the very top, if they make it back at all.

24. Sep 4, 2017

They are very different issues which he may see as independent from each other.
  25. Sep 4, 2017

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

Jan is possible, especially if we are in the race for titles and they are not.

Summer, if not.
  26. Sep 4, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I think he will not agree to a January move unless they also get Costa from Chelsea to replace him in the same window. Next Summer he will be on the move but I am not sure it will be to us.
  27. Sep 4, 2017

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

I think Costa will go there in January so this could be on. Although Most likely next Summer if it happens I reckon.

Him being cup tied wouldn't put us off though. It's either January or next Summer so why would we give a shit if he misses the CL games? Having him for the second half of this PL season would be a huge bonus over not having him at all until next summer.
  28. Sep 4, 2017

Rake Full Member

We will sign him in January but he will join us in the summer (if he even signs)

What is the point in him staying during the summer if he leaves 3 months later?
  29. Sep 4, 2017

chb23 New Member

How has he been playing?
  30. Sep 4, 2017

a_devil_inside Big footed hermaphrodite

If we are going to go for him again I'd hope we have a deal in place like what Liverpool have with Keita.
    But I've never got the impression Griezmann even wants to come here as he seems more than happy to be playing in Madrid. Maybe his brother or Agent P can work on it though.
  31. Sep 4, 2017

Brophs The one and only

The market's gone mental. His clause means he's woefully underpriced in comparison to other players of his level. I'd be amazed if he didn't have almost every big side in for him. It just depends on whether we have some sort of arrangement with him on foot of what happened last summer.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  32. Sep 4, 2017

spwd likes: servals, breasts, rylan clark and zooey

Makes sense to me, they just didn't want him leaving before they could get a replacement, which they can in January, which I'd be surprised if it's not costa.

Because they can't sign anyone until January.
  33. Sep 4, 2017

Rake Full Member

Hm, not easy to sign quality players is January. They could have wrapped up Costa but didn't. All I know is that we must move quickly and capitalize on any previous agreement we had with him.

I hope additional agreement took place after his refusal to move in the summer.

Quite true that.
  34. Sep 4, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

There's only been 2 La Liga games, he was sent off in the first for diving and missed the second through suspension

He was excellent against Holland for France though
  35. Sep 4, 2017

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

Can you ever really "not need" a player of his calibre?
  36. Sep 4, 2017

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

I think Griezmann will play on the right rather than centrally, if he comes.
  37. Sep 4, 2017

Rojofiam New Member

That's one thing. These huge deals just don't really happen in January anyway. If we are still interested, it's highly likely that we will go after him in the summer.
  38. Sep 4, 2017

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    I'd agree with that. A bit like Villa did at Barcelona, only on the other side. Playing off a CF like Lukaku is very different from being a right-forward off most other top strikers. He'd spend a lot of time picking up spaces that the Lukaku creates.
  39. Sep 4, 2017

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    I just like mata personally. Obviously Greizmann would be a massive improvement. Just sad to see that Mata may go, thats all.
  40. Sep 4, 2017

Harry190 Full Member

Less than stellar against Luxembourg though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.