Antoine Griezmann signs for Barcelona or maybe not?

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by phonics_tid, May 14, 2019.

1. Jun 13, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Griezmann is not a wide player, Messi doesn't play on the right either, that side would lack width so badly, the fullbacks have to literally play as wings, like Alba does and gets exposed, but even more, and it won't look good.

It might work in your average league game though.
  2. Jun 13, 2019

Aloysius's Back 3 New Member

Where did Messi play this season? They won't be wide players - they will be central players starting behind but off wide from Suarez.

The goals I saw Messi score this season came off centrally but after he had started off the right.

Didn't he?

I can see griezmann doing what Coutinho was meant to do on the left.
  3. Jun 13, 2019

Ooge_ New Member

Supports:
    Werder
    -----Griezmann-----------Suarez-------
    --------------------Messi------------------
    -----de Jong------------Rakitic/Arthur--
    ------------------Busquets----------------
    Alba----Lenglet---------Pique---Roberto
    -----------------ter Stegen---------------

Coutinho and Dembélé are out of the game. ManUtd, PSG or some other team will be there feature.
  4. Jun 13, 2019

TheRedHearted New Member

I don’t get why they stopped him. More publicity and talking about the club tbh
  5. Jun 13, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Messi plays centrally, so does Griezmann, and both are used to playing behind another CF (Costa, Giroud, Mandzukic), so their ideal positions do overlap a lot, and if Griezmann were to be used as a wide player on the left, good luck with that. And if none of the front three are going to play wide, they're gonna struggle, as their only width would come from fullbacks. And their fullbacks aren't really great unlike yesteryears.
  6. Jun 13, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Yep, Griezmann signing made a bit more sense (to me anyway), if they bought him to replace Suarez. That still does not address their need out wide left, which is where they’ve struggled (Dembele, Coutinho & Malcolm) to hurt teams - Alba overlapping aside.

There’s just too much creative burden on Messi, & their team lacks speed/physicality. Signing Griezmann and shoehorning him in with Messi & Suarez, to me, is overkill and doesn’t address their need.

Sure they might hurt 90% of the teams they face but it’s the UCL they’re after, & not having a world class left winger might be costly again. (it’s why re-signing Neymar actually makes sense, if it was possible).
  7. Jun 13, 2019

De Portago Full Member

Supports:
    Red Star
    Sorry for the late reply.

It still doesn't make that decision any less moronic, it makes sense to have feedback from the dressing room but to allow them to pick coaches is crazy, especially when I think that a decent number of those players are more concerned with their squad status and minutes than club's success. What would they do exactly if Valverde was sacked and another (preferably better) coach appointed, ask for a transfer away?
  8. Jun 13, 2019

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    That's how it works in Madrid and Barcelona. The players after doing a lot for the club also get power in those decisions. That obviously doesn't mean they're the ones actually making the decision but they're consulted in these matters. With the news that came out after the cup final it's obvious that if the dressing room wanted Valverde gone, he'd have been gone.

They're professionals, if they want him to stay it's because they believe it's for the better of the team. Which means Valverde might not be the complete moron some people pretend he is since the world class and experienced players inside that dressing room are clearly backing him up.
  9. Jun 13, 2019

De Portago Full Member

Supports:
    Red Star
    We don't know which players are wholly behind him and which are not, and aren't going to find out. A list like that would make the situation very clear though.

For the record, I don't have a crystall ball obviously, but outside of a truly great impact of their summer signings, I believe they will regress again. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit my mistake. If I'm right on the other hand, then it's clear that the decisions being made there aren't made with Barcelona's best interest in mind for whatever reason.
  10. Jun 14, 2019

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Regress? They've signed De Jong and Griezmann is pretty much done. Add De Ligt and it will be up there as the best summer Barcelona have ever had.

The squad will 100% be better next season, if they improve as a team that's a different matter though. If they buy Griezmann and then he can't occupy his natural positions the same way it happened to Coutinho then he's going to be half the player he was at Atletico.

I don't think they're stupid enough to keep making every attack go through Messi and purposefully depending on him while having 500 million of attacking talent in the team with Suarez, Dembele, Coutinho, Griezmann and Malcom although after the past couple of seasons nothing would surprise me anymore.
  11. Jun 14, 2019

siweltrebor New Member

Defo off to Barcelona, can't see it going any other way now, I'd have wanted him two seasons ago but now, let them have him.
  12. Jun 14, 2019

De Portago Full Member

Supports:
    Red Star
    Well Valverde has had an abundance of attacking talent at his disposal already, and anyone who closely followed Barcelona these last two seasons could have seen for himself the way he managed it. Unless you feel he is going to experience an unexpected conversion, he'll just keep doing the same things he's been doing the last two seasons because that is who he is, a good midtable coach with a safety first approach...which means that Griezmann will play on the left instead of Coutinho, for the simple reason that's the only spot available.

Obviously he is not going to be as good as at Atleti though even misused in that way he will still be a sizeable upgrade on Coutinho who has been stinking up that left side nearly the whole 18/19 season, but for some reason known only to Valverde himself was continuously selected while Malcolm got somewhere around 500 minutes in total. That's "management" for you.
  13. Jun 18, 2019

davidmichael Full Member

14. Jun 18, 2019

Fer Full Member

If PSG end up with Dembele and Griezmann instead of Neymar, it would be a good business for them. They also need to sign a midfielder, center back and a new goalkeeper.
  15. Jul 2, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

How is the feckers move taking this long? Do Barca actually plan to go for Neymar? If so, the only realistic options are Bayern or us.
  16. Jul 2, 2019

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

What about PSG?
  17. Jul 2, 2019

izec Full Member

Him and Neymar to Barca. Dembele to Bayern, Coutinho to PSG?

4 transfers over 100m involving 3 clubs.

Personally, i think he will go to Barca, Neymar will stay and Barca will sell one of Dembele/Coutinho.
  18. Jul 2, 2019

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate Scout

His buyout clause was almost halved yesterday.
  19. Jul 2, 2019

Needham Full Member

Great if it signifies a depression in the market. Unfortunately just Atleti acknowledging he's already peaked.
  20. Jul 2, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

It was at 240?! Was that clause lower a few seasons back when we were close?
  21. Jul 2, 2019

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate Scout

I said almost, it was 200m and now 120m. We were never close to sign him and this contract happened after 2017.
  22. Jul 2, 2019

MetoTTT New Member

I don't think Barcelona can afford their transfers and wages (with Messi). If they want/can buy Neymar back, I can see Griezmann going to PSG.
  23. Jul 2, 2019

sideshow_bob Full Member

Supports:
    Healthy nutrition
    I'm calling it.
    Griezmann is coming to United this summer.
  24. Jul 2, 2019

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

No he's not.
  25. Jul 2, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Short reply. To the point. :lol:
  26. Jul 2, 2019

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Could you just imagine if somehow a club that needed to take out a massive loan mid season to pay their wages some how managed to bring in Griezman and Neymar in 1 summer. Football money and BS aside just imagine that frontline of Messi, Griezman and Neymar :eek: I dislike 2 of them very much bu that would be some front 3.
  27. Jul 2, 2019

Nick7 Full Member

Huh? No it was just to ward off someone trying to buy his last summer/winter.
  28. Jul 2, 2019

De Portago Full Member

Supports:
    Red Star
    Suarez won't be benched...I'd prefer Barcelona to buy them both if only for the sheer spectacle of that fraud on their bench not having a clue what to do and then playing all of them in the lineup.
  29. Jul 2, 2019

MetoTTT New Member

No way. His wife don't want come here, it's pretty clear. Spain or Paris imo.
  30. Jul 2, 2019

Brophs The one and only

He'll make her wait for the documentary like everyone else. By then it'll be too late.
  31. Jul 2, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Would certainly shit on what Real Madrid have done this summer
  32. Jul 3, 2019

sideshow_bob Full Member

Supports:
    Healthy nutrition
    You were right!
  33. Jul 3, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

So the Mrs played a important role in where he finally moved.
  34. Jul 3, 2019

Robertd0803 Full Member

All of it would have been negative from Atleticos point of view though. Plus he had already pulled this stunt before so can imagine once was more than enough for them.

Shame. Would have loved him here. Will always believe (rightly or wrongly) him signing after we won the Europa League would have been a game changer.
  35. Jul 3, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Would like to see the financial numbers not some airbrushed crap.
  36. Jul 3, 2019

DrRodo Full Member

Why do our fans still think were an option for over 100m tier of players? Were in europa league folks. Sorry for the pessimism but i dont want to be let disappointed after the transfer window. It was a very sad season, so much for getting let down

We have to rebuild and target young promising players now.
  37. Jul 3, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

Griezmann, Neymar and Messi as a front 3 has zero width.
  38. Jul 3, 2019

Cait Sith Full Member

Last time I checked Neymar was a pacy, dribble-intensive wing-forward.

If Barca pull this off for real, Madrid don't even need to show up for La Liga. Griezmann, Neymar, Messi with Suarez to rotate with as well ... They will outscore every single La Liga opponent.
  39. Jul 3, 2019

-Supreme- New Member

I see this comment pops up all the time but do people realise that our record signings have all arrived to the season where we were in the Europa League?

And given the statue of our club it's not unreasonable to think that we're very likely to be back in the CL competition
  40. Jul 3, 2019

Acrobat7 Full Member

They arrived when Europa League seemed like a one off. Now some players might think it is more of a permanent state.