Antoine Griezmann speculation - January 2018 and beyond

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by charlenefan, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sep 4, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Manchester United will have to pay £92million to prise Antoine Griezmann away from Atletico Madrid, according to reports in Spain.

Atleti doubled his release clause to €200million to ensure the France international stayed while the club faced a summer transfer embargo, Marca and Mundo Deportivo both report.

Now they say the price has returned meaning his available for €100m - around £92m with the current exchange rate.

Griezmann had looked set to join United until Atletico Madrid's transfer ban changed his mind as he didn't want to leave them in the lurch.

[​IMG]
    Antoine Griezmann is a long-term Manchester United target (Image: REUTERS)
    However, despite signing an improved deal, he is understood to be keen to move on once they can start buying again in January.

Atleti look likely to bring in Chelsea misfit Diego Costa in January, which could pave the way for Griezmann's exit.

Griezmann hinted on the eve of the Europa League final there was a 60 per cent chance of him joining Manchester United, who had earmarked him as their attacking priority.

And his former agent Eric Olhats recently confirmed that he did want to leave the La Liga side and join United.

Olhats represented Griezmann until earlier this summer and has explained the transfer ban was the only reason he stayed.

Antoine Griezmann could be a Manchester United player as soon as January, according to reports.

The France international, who was the Red Devils' top target at the start of the summer, recently penned an improved deal with current club Atletico Madrid.

But Griezmann might still be keen to move to the Premier League in the next few months, the Manchester Evening News reports.

Jose Mourinho missed out on signing the Frenchman due to Atletico's transfer ban preventing the La Liga club bringing in a replacement.

Griezmann didn't want to leave his current team in the lurch, but is happy to move on once they can start buying again in January, with Chelsea's Diego Costa top of Atletico's shopping list.
  2. Sep 4, 2017

So what are the chances? Zlatan and Griezmann in January :drool:

Oh and why are all his other threads closed?
  3. Sep 4, 2017

Rojofiam New Member

If he is wanted by us, then he'll be joining.

As for his position, I think he would be our no. 10.

What a squad we would have if we signed him and a RB. :drool:
  4. Sep 4, 2017

jymufc20 New Member

I think we will find out sooner rather than later if he is joining in January.

If we are getting him in January he wont play any champions league games for Madrid, can't see us paying £92 million for a cup tied player.

Does anyone know if he has been named in their champions league squad ?
  5. Sep 4, 2017

We're winning the quadruple this season so not a huge deal if Antoine can't play in Europe
  6. Sep 4, 2017

El Zoido Full Member

No way is he coming in January. I still think we'll sign him but it'll be next summer. £92m would seem like good value in the current market.
  7. Sep 4, 2017

jymufc20 New Member

I like your way of thinking.
  8. Sep 4, 2017

ThomasEmil Invisible Herrera Watcher

Supports:
    United and Martin Tyler
    Let muppet season 2.0 begin
  9. Sep 4, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

Cup tied means nothing, we still have league to play for and he will be signing for long term. If we don't sign him in Jan, it won't be because of cup tied thing.
  10. Sep 4, 2017

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    surely some one needs to be sold if we Nab him. Mata? :(
  11. Sep 4, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

Think it's more likely to be in the Summer than January.

Griezmann playing off of Lukaku would be perfect.
  12. Sep 4, 2017

Phil Full Member

I don't really understand the cup tied in Europe argument. We're going to be in other competitions too?
  13. Sep 4, 2017

Garethw Full Member

There is no way that AM will not play Him in the CL. No way at all.

If he's coming to us in January it will be regardless of whether he's cup tied or not.
  14. Sep 4, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

Jan or summer, doesn't matter.

A strike force of Lukaku, Griezmann, Zlatan, Rashford, Martial, Mkhi, and Pogba sounds so scary. All top class, at least.
  15. Sep 4, 2017

Garethw Full Member

Yep, me too.

The only way I can see us signing him in January is if we are forced to due to another clubs interest.
  16. Sep 4, 2017

Rojofiam New Member

There's probably zero chance that he's coming in January.
  17. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin

Because the summer window is closed. If there is new information that is credible and not just clickbait then start a new thread.
  18. Sep 4, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

I think competition will be very, very fierce. His 100M clause is like peanut in this hyper inflated market. I think he will leave, so it's all down to which club he wants to play for. Barca, Real, City, Chelsea could all be in it. And PSG, why not !
  19. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin

We could secure his services in Jan and have him join in the summer, just as Zlatan's deal finishes up.
  20. Sep 4, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I think he's a great player but I don't think he's right for us. Lukaku doesn't offer much in the buildup so effectively you'd have two strikers. Then Pogba also needs his freedom. It would mean everyone else having to graft and would suck the fun out of their own individual talents. If we played two sitters and not someone as talented as Pogba this would make more sense. Or if we had a work horse CF who would offer more defensively and in deeper positions.
  21. Sep 4, 2017

CG1010 Full Member

He will come in winter window only if Athletico manage to sign a replacement IMO. But it seems he will most likely sign for us by the summer window, as of now.
  22. Sep 4, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

Technically you mean sign him and loan back to AM ?
  23. Sep 4, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Let's have it. I sympathise with those who say he's not exactly the player we need at the moment but he's a good age and has quality, get him in then we'll see where we are.

I don't see him joining in January but I wouldn't be surprised if we get an agreement in place then and bring him over early next June.
  24. Sep 4, 2017

septic Full Member

if Atletico are willing to sell in Jan, then let's get him as soon as possible. a lot can change in 6 months. we'd have the best attack in the league if he joined.
  25. Sep 4, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

92 mil is a pittance. We have been without a world class forward in his prime for 3-4 years. He's perfect for us.

Better get him before Bayern come knocking. For some reason, they always seem to be interested in our targets.
  26. Sep 4, 2017

Trizy Full Member

Isn't Costa signed (joining in January)?
  27. Sep 4, 2017

muller Full Member

I wish I could share the optimism some here have, but given the saga in the last couple of months with him, wont believe it until I see it.

I might be missing something, but why is everyone absolutely certain we will still get him next summer (at the latest)?

For what it's worth, think he'd offer us something different and good, but wont get excited.
  28. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin

That or do as LFC did with Keïta where they agreed a deal now, that he will join them next summer. The obvious advantage for us would be that we would be guaranteed to secure his services and be protected from other potential suitors swooping in.
  29. Sep 4, 2017

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

I cant see Griezmann signing for us if we, or AM, are still in the CL. Let's wait and see if we actually go after him again
  30. Sep 4, 2017

Mainoldo Full Member

Forget champions league not like Atletico would win it without him. Come in January and help us win the double.
  31. Sep 4, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

Isn't that Griezmann "design" the contract that his clause automatically be reduced in Jan instead of summer means that he wants to leave in Jan ? Otherwise AM would surely want the clause to be reduced in summer to lock him up ?
  32. Sep 4, 2017

Red Star One Full Member

Seal the deal as soon as possible. Make him join us in January. Play him as a 10 in 4-2-3-1 with Lukaku in front of him and Pogba-Matić behind.
    If all clicks, we will be among favourites for CL 18/19
  33. Sep 4, 2017

redpatron New Member

probably going to be city bound because Antoine is a coward and won't leave them empty handed. Aguero to Atletico and Griezmann to City. Sanchez and Griezmann in one summer for Pep and they still won't sign a cb.
  34. Sep 4, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

Dream team on paper

---------Lukaku-------
    Martial---Griez---Rash
    ------Matic---Pogba---
    LB----Jones---Bailly---RB
    -----------DDG--------
  35. Sep 4, 2017

Red Star One Full Member

I haven't seen a news confirming it, but he's not in Chelsea's CL squad... meaning he's 99% off in January and there're very few clubs that couldn't sign players this summer
  36. Sep 4, 2017

Robertd0803 Full Member

Exactly. This cup-tied thing needs to stop, if we are signing him in January we are signing him regardless of what is going on in the Champions League. Atletico will probably be getting a non cup tied Costa anyway so they will have a replacement.
  37. Sep 4, 2017

Adisa Full Member

Considering the way prices are going, I reckon more teams will be interested.
    100m for a world class player is a bargain.
  38. Sep 4, 2017

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Wouldnt he be CL cup tied?
  39. Sep 4, 2017

Raoul Admin

We wouldn't need him in Jan as we'd have Zlatan and the rest of our players already rotating for minutes.
  40. Sep 4, 2017

cyberman Full Member

Antoine won't move in Jan of a world cup year and sit out CL football.
    Saying that, their group is a horror group so it might not matter