Antonio Valencia’s crossing...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rozay, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Jul 12, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Now this is something that I’ve always felt, and I should perhaps whisper it around here as I know what the consensus is, but...

Drilling a cross low and hard across the 6 yard box is an extremely dangerous type of delivery and I can’t believe we haven’t scored more from it truthfully. I personally don’t have an issue with his delivery, and if we committed more bodies into the box, we’d surely be on the end of more, and they would be just as likely to cause an own goal too. I reckon City would score loads from his crosses.

There, I said it.
  2. Jul 12, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

The only place he drills crosses is onto opponents' shins.
  3. Jul 12, 2018

Tiber Full Member

Personally I will be disappointed if we dont enter the season with two new starting fullbacks
  4. Jul 12, 2018

Yes, because they seem to be the ones always getting first to his crosses. He blasts them across the 6 yard box, and they never get a touch from one of ours!
  5. Jul 12, 2018

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

I think this is our main problem. In my opinion, Young has good crosses aswell, but we have too few in the box attacking the ball.

Valencia never gets the ball in, always stops at someone's shin.
  6. Jul 12, 2018

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

Valencia’s attempts at ‘crossing’ the ball are nothing short of pathetic.
  7. Jul 12, 2018

I see this all the time. It may be true, but doesn’t tell the full story. Yes, sometimes they are blocked before they reach the 6 yard box, but very often they are not. Yes, the ball will eventually hit someone’s shin, or just fly right across the box - but I’ve seen many-a-time when that defender’s shin was in the middle of the 6 yard box. Why is it not ‘hitting’ our own player’s legs and going in? Or why does it often fly straight across the box because nobody is far forward enough to attack it?
  8. Jul 12, 2018

van Nistelrooy Full Member

Valencia can't successfully deliver any type of cross into the box.

Valencia cant even get himself into a position to cross.

Valencia should have been moved on already.
  9. Jul 12, 2018

Skills Snitch

The cut back is probably City's biggest weapon. The difference between them and us is, our full backs have to cross with a man already on them while they work the ball well enough to get their full backs free in a lot of time and space to pick out a cross.
  10. Jul 12, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    ? If he did get crosses in, I'd be ok (ish) with him.

They never get to the six yard bid bid though... he either hits the FB or passes it inside. Every time.
  11. Jul 12, 2018

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

We need two completely new fullbacks. That’s what missing. Quality fullbacks give a team such balance and threat. Ours aren’t good enough.
  12. Jul 12, 2018

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I don’t think his crossing is amazing or anything but it’s been negatively criticised to the point that he’s underrated as a player by the majority and now seen as a scapegoat. He’ll be our starting RB and rightfully so until he breaks down physically.
  13. Jul 12, 2018

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

Which was a while ago. Nurses injuries quite often nowadays.

Crosses should pick players out, not just smashed wherever. Good crossers pick out targets.

Yes, sometimes it's necessary to put it in a dangerous area, but not everytime.

And if you could pick one, pick out a player everytime or smash it into a dangerous area everytime, which would you go for?
  14. Jul 12, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

His best crosses lately have been when he's cut back and hit an inswinger with his left. He needs to use his left more often. He's clearly capable.
  15. Jul 12, 2018

sam147 New Member

If Dalot isn't going to be a starter id prefer Young at RB than Valencia. Honestly he tries hard but that isnt good enough. If we sign Alex Sandro for LB then Young should be moved to RB if Jose wants a senior player there. Young when playing RB looked far more threatening than Valencia. He can put a first time cross in as well as cut back onto his weaker foot and is more unpredictable.
  16. Jul 12, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Dalot + Bale partnership on the right flank would be amazing. If we brought Bale then Bale and Dalot would be much too much for most left fullbacks to handle in the Premier League especially with the dribble, pace and strength physically.
  17. Jul 12, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Agreed those are dangerous types of crosses it’s a shame that Valencia seems to only do them when the box is stacked he’s screwed about for 20 secs doing his hop scotch dance then shifts and blasts and it either hits the guy directly in front of him or the defender covering the front post.

If you’re going to cross like that it has to be on a break, not when the box is loaded with mass numbers that have set themselves in a position so no Valencia’s crossing is as wank.
  18. Jul 12, 2018

cathari New Member

I too like his driven crosses, but he is not using this part of his game any longer. It is hard to tell why, but maybe his age has caught up on him? Or maybe injuries are restraining him? Or maybe it's tactics? Anyway, I reckon roughly 85% of the times he is on the ball in the opposite half he stops and plays back or plays a short pass into midfield with no real idea behind the move (why not go on a run for a change and ask for the ball back..?), so this implies he feels there is a lack of playing options, which I would agree with, but would it hurt to try to beat a man and make cross? Just once in a while? I feel this was his general play when we bought him.
  19. Jul 12, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Thread has ruined my mood and made me even less enthusiastic than I was.
  20. Jul 12, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Valencia doesn't deliver anything neither short or low anymore. He was playing the ground crossing well up till Jose's first season. Last one his crossing were all rubbish. They'll only get worse from now on.
  21. Jul 12, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

What's strange is that when he first arrived his crossing was one of our most dangerous weapons. Valencia crossing to Rooney was our main route to goal in 2009/10. Why has he become so risk averse since he made the transition to RB? It will only keep getting worse and worse from now on.
  22. Jul 12, 2018

MadMike Full Member

:lol: So true
  23. Jul 12, 2018

ti vu Full Member

It's not just now. Even under SAF in latter years where SAF was always keen with overloading box with number, Valencia had same problem with not being able to drill the ball past the first defender. Nothing to do with numbers of,players in the box.

You can check Tottenham overall heat map against our last couple season. They don't commit players in opposition box as much yet IIRC some stats from last season, they score more from crossing than us!
  24. Jul 12, 2018

Art Vandelay Full Member

Exactly. Not only does he do his hop scotch dance, but he's tried to pass it back inside twice already only to have it played back out to him. Giving him no choice but to go for the shins.

I think he does need help out there and someone to help create space for him to cross it. It's just at this point I don't have much confidence in him actually getting a decent ball in when given the chance.
  25. Jul 12, 2018

clarkydaz Full Member

this thread is 2 years too late. He doesn't even cross anymore, turns back for the simple pass. Its such a long running joke, he must be aware of it
  26. Jul 12, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

He should have been replaced last summer. Let's hope this Dalot guy can take over quickly.
  27. Jul 13, 2018

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

As i said in that post, we need more people into the box to attack the ball, but often Valencia's crosses just ends up in the shin of the first or second defender, who usually are between the 6 yard box and Valencia.
    No reason for our attackers to go into that part of the box when waiting for a cross.
  28. Jul 13, 2018

J_XO New Member

It’s rare he even puts in a trademark cross anymore, he just turns back and passes
  29. Jul 13, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

People who complain about the delivery of our fullbacks are in for a rude awakening with any other fullbacks that isnt Marcelo. Young is a very good crosser of the ball and is a winger playing at fullback yet people think we'll improve offensively with any other left back. Valencia's runs with the ball and overlapping runs are fantastic and pretty much any fullback would struggle when they receive that little support from their supporting winger in an attacking sense.

Our problem is getting players into attacking positions and the attacking patterns being so fecking slow that we are always attacking a camped box, rather then having space to attack from passing it around quickly and in a way that creates space.
  30. Jul 13, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Are we watching the same Valencia ?

What Valencia had been doing the whole last season was to get the ball, face the defender, dance on the ball in front of him a litt bit then pass it backward, rinse, repeat. He doesn't even try to dribble or take players anymore, and it's not lack of support because in Mourinho's first season he was still running towards defenders and getting himself to position at least make a ground cross. Currently he doesn't even run anymore, he just keeps passing it backwards instead of challenging the defender for a run. He's one of the biggest reasons why we're so slow on attacking on flanks. A right back that actually wants to make some running and get in dangerous positions will help us a lot, away from his delivery.

Young is a good crosser of the ball though, one of our best but his main problem is that his strong foot is the right, so as a LB he needs to cut on his right every time to make a proper cross, this can't be helped by the fact all our left wingers are also right footed who want to cut inside ( Sanchez, Martial and Rashford), thus occupying the same spaces Young want to cut in to cross, causing us problems on this side. It's not the problem of his crossing as it's great, it's that he doesn't sync at all with the type of players linking with him due to both being right footed.
  31. Jul 13, 2018

LeftyBlaster Full Member

It's pathetic. End of. Move him on.
  32. Jul 13, 2018

lex talionis Full Member

Valencia's crossing is fairly poor. Overall he does the job and is a surprisingly solid defender for a former winger, but one of the weaker aspects of his game is his crossing. With a target like Lukaku poor crossing is a serious problem.
  33. Jul 13, 2018

Yagami Full Member

The technique isn't the issue. It's the way he doesn't even bother aiming his crosses that is said issue. He just puts them in and hopes for the best - mainly hitting the first defender. If he drilled them along the ground with a specific target in mind they'd be dangerous.
  34. Jul 13, 2018

spwd likes: servals, breasts, rylan clark and zooey

Yes

Yes

And yes.
  35. Jul 13, 2018

hobbers Full Member

Valencia's drilled crosses barely ever make it anywhere near a goalscoring position. They barely ever make it into the penalty box as a matter of fact.

The only success we've had from Valencia crosses in recent memory were actually from him taking left footed "hit and hopes" and Fellaini getting in at the back post.
  36. Jul 13, 2018

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

He has some good qualities, but his crossing isn't one of them. If I were a United striker? He would drive me nuts because he's unpredictable and too often hits the first man. When I say hits the first man - that we can predict. He CAN on occasion cross the ball properly but 9/10 he refuses to do it!! If hitting the first man was a skill, he would be the GOAT...you can smash it now and then. It's better to play it across but sometimes smashing it might work but talking about valencias crossing and Juventus signing Ronaldo....gee I dunno what sucks more. Let's hope we get Bale and maybe you'll remember what a good cross looks like.
  37. Jul 13, 2018

Pscholes18 Full Member

Is shite
  38. Jul 13, 2018

SER19 Full Member

I actually agree. His crossing limits are so massively exaggerated on here that when I see a post about defenders shins now it barely registers.
  39. Jul 13, 2018

haram Full Member

He cannot create the necessary space for it to be dangerous anymore. He is deteriorating through age, fatigue and his past injuries.
  40. Jul 13, 2018

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

No it wasnt.

He assisted the same amount of direct assists to Rooney as Nani did, while playing in his favoured position (Nani stuck out left) and taking more minutes to do so.