Antonio Valencia’s crossing...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rozay, Jul 12, 2018 at 22:00.

1. Jul 13, 2018 at 04:37

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

His crossing doesn't work as well from the full back position when the box is full. Back when he was a winger he had very good numbers for us but it's easier to stop him when you've got so many defenders in the box which the opponents always have because we attack slowly.

His crossing is not shit but in the style we play now from the position he plays now it's very bad.
  2. Jul 13, 2018 at 04:41

maniwin New Member

is making me sick. We desperately need to upgrade our fullback if we want to compete next season.
  3. Jul 13, 2018 at 05:07

manunited1919 Full Member

We need a plane over Old Trafford with a sign: Upgrade Fullbacks or Bust
  4. Jul 13, 2018 at 05:17

WR10 Full Member

It's a dangerous weapon, but even the most dangerous weapon is useless if it doesn't hit anything.
  5. Jul 13, 2018 at 05:26

SouthPredators4 Full Member

Valencia's so called crossing is a hit and miss.. He can't beat the defender with trickery so he does his typical kick and run, then without looking to aim, he smashed it hard and low, and hopefully it finds somebody. 9 out of 10 times it gets easily cut out at the near post because every fullback in the league knows he is a one trick pony. In todays football, either the fullback is a converted winger who is blessed with pace and skills, otherwise the teams need to possess many technically superior players like City to draw teams out of position so the player on the flank has the time to deliver a good hard cross. Look at KDB. He regularly smashes in a swinging low cross with his instep and lay it in the plate for Aguero or Jesus. Our lack of quality delivery is problems on both fronts, rather than solely a Valencia's ineptness.
  6. Jul 13, 2018 at 05:37

fellaini's barber Full Member

He's such an unintelligent player. Doesn't know when to do a simple cut back, doesn't know when to drill low first time, doesn't know when to chip it with his big toe, doesn't know when to just lift it or pass. Its the stupid dance and smash routine no matter the situation 99.99% of the time which the whole world is aware of so it just hits the defenders. Not really his fault anymore as we should have done something about it long ago but seems Jose is going with him next season as he does the most important thing to him which is defend very well.

When Carvajal did his chipped cross for Ronaldo's overhead goal against Juve despite almost being inside the box I was just thinking about how it could never have happened here. Valencia would have still wanted shift it to the right and smash a shin. I've noticed fullbacks in most clubs are usually set piece takers because good crossers are usually good at that too, don't remember Val taking a set piece for us, because everyone knows he's shit at it.
  7. Jul 13, 2018 at 07:09

Marcky411 Full Member

One word, Pathetic.
    For once a great winger he now a days doesn't seem to be able to take on or pass defenders and offers nothing in attack. This thread I know is about his crossing, what crossing? Valencia runs down the right up to a defender then stops dead and does some pathetic boggle head doll impersonation and then passes the ball back, often sending the ball back to the defenders who only know how to play side to side.
    At the same time he is really a make shift defender, the only thing counting in his favour at the moment is his pace and strength, once his legs start going, and they will he will be a total liability.
    All summer I have read and heard how we need a left back, Young is no defender and how we must get rid of Shaw but very few mentions about the right back position. Young at least offers something going forward, Valencia doesn't. I know we have just signed Delot but Jose won't be playing him, he will most probably get as much game time as Shaw or less.
  8. Jul 13, 2018 at 07:11

RedRoseTyke New Member

We're getting it all wrong, with this analysis. Valencia's low crosses need someone whose head is lower to let them take advantage. Step up Juan Mata, our new central striker.
  9. Jul 13, 2018 at 07:12

Ashley R1+O New Member

Agreed. Nobody makes those runs because nobody has any idea when he will deliver the ball and where it is going. Lukaku can't make 8 different runs at the same time, he has to choose one and you would not roll the dice on Valencia putting it into a certain area on a consistent basis.

Defensively had some very very concerning poor patches as well.
  10. Jul 13, 2018 at 07:20

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

I just love the way he out paces the opponent's left back and then stops to allow the RB and their defenders to get back in position.

He is such a considerate player.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 08:44
  11. Jul 13, 2018 at 07:36

nameischarles New Member

It's always predictable with Valencia. Beats his opponent, then stops, opponent catches up, Valencia does a few stuttering shakes and at that point, he either crosses into the opponent's shin or passes back then repeat again.
  12. Jul 13, 2018 at 07:40

maniwin New Member

Jose played 19 year old Davide Santon regularly at Inter back then , i believe he also stand with "if you are good enough you are old enough" criteria. We definitely can't go with Valencia remain as main full back , he is much bigger concern than Fellaini cause at least Fellaini don't start.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 08:50
  13. Jul 13, 2018 at 07:51

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Valencia's delivery is noticeably worse than his breakout season of 10/11 in which he earned the 7 shirt. You can argue he does less pure attacking given he is a FB rather than a winger, you can argue we haven't got the weapons we had back in the day (not only with the physical stature but the know-how of when to attack the box such as Ronnie) but the delivery is worse to my eye.

Valencia generally has become a more conservative player; less quality crossing, far less take-ons, less positive passing generally in his conversion to FB. While that has made him a fine, dependable RB option for a number of years under a number of managers I don't see a cogent argument in favour of his crossing prowess at present.
  14. Jul 13, 2018 at 08:26

11101 Full Member

His crosses are just him hitting the ball in the general direction of the goal. Even if it doesn't hit the man marking him and makes it to the 6 yard box, it takes a huge defensive mistake for Lukaku to get ahead of his man to turn it in. I can't remember the last time Valencia hit an actual aimed cross into space between the defence and the keeper, or got forward and picked out a cut back. It's always head down and drill it as hard as he can.
  15. Jul 13, 2018 at 08:42

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

His crosses are awful these days. A million miles away from 2009-12. He rarely beats the first man and, frankly, he looks afraid of the ball a lot of the time.
  16. Jul 13, 2018 at 08:47

meamth Full Member

Wish he can cross like Trippier. The older he gets, the less effective his crossing becomes.
  17. Jul 13, 2018 at 08:51

robinrooney New Member

This has to be a joke thread.

Valencia is the worst crosser in the PL bar none. He is hopeless. Shocked that we are going to go into yet another season with him as our RB
  18. Jul 13, 2018 at 08:52

Bestietom Full Member

We need 2 proper full backs if we are to challenge City and the rest, this season. Both Valencia and Young put more pressure on the CB's as they cannot defend.

Valencia has the strength but is too often caught out of position, and always has to get the ball on his right foot.
    Young can cross the ball but he also, cannot defend.
  19. Jul 13, 2018 at 11:37

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

They're a dangerous weapon to the ankles of the opposition full back after he's drilled a cross into them for the 40th time that game.
  20. Jul 13, 2018 at 11:39

Jev Full Member

His crossing is decent and he's generally a pretty good full-back who we should be in no rush to replace.
  21. Jul 13, 2018 at 11:43

I'm equally concerned that he is our team captain, for someone who isn't vocal and cannot speak a word of English and definitely not a leader in any aspect has been given this role to lead our team.
  22. Jul 13, 2018 at 11:47

Judas Open to offers

It's almost like a case of Stockholm syndrome to see people still defending him at this point.
  23. Jul 13, 2018 at 14:18

iKeano Full Member

Valencia's crossing is non-existent. He either shin-drills, or floats the ball like it's helium-filled to no one, way beyond the far post.
    The concept of a first time cross is completely lost on him - his jittery, foot-to-foot, hoppity shimmy, EVERY TIME he tries to take on a player is as frustrating as it is bizarre and ineffective.
    His crossing progress ability is the Benjamin Button to Ronaldo's; you could forgive the 18 year old Ronnie bursting at the seams with potential, but a 32 year old (33 by the time the season kicks off) Captain of Man Utd who's decision making and crossing skill has regressed...
  24. Jul 13, 2018 at 14:22

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

Antonio Valencia's crossing... is shit of the highest order.
  25. Jul 13, 2018 at 14:27

iKeano Full Member

This has increasingly wound me up. The amount of times he walked away from instances at OT last year when you need your captain to get involved.
    Lingard, Martial and Rashford being kicked about by opposition - Valencia and his turbo-biceps, instead of having their back, he strolls off.
    Early last season - can't remember which game - but someone got a bad injury against us, Martial, Lingard and co all stood around like inquisitve schoolboys looking at the horror show. Any captain worth their salt would have had a word - forget that, don't look, keep your head in the game etc etc. Not our Tony, he's ambling away contemplating his next super-set for maximum bicep burn!
    PLUS.... let's not forget that he GAVE THE No. 7 JERSEY BACK 'cause he couldn't handle the pressure. Couldn't handle a number on his back, yet is meant to carry the weight of the club as Captain?!
    Spare me.
  26. Jul 13, 2018 at 14:41

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Wait has he really been named as club captain like on a permanent basis? It’s effectively like not even having a captain if that’s the case. Maybe he’s really good at coin tosses tho.
  27. Jul 13, 2018 at 14:42

Lukaku or Pogba would be my choice but I guess Mourinho will give it to Jones or Smalling.
  28. Jul 13, 2018 at 14:48

IrishMcD New Member

Absolute this!!! Couldn't agree more. And he has been like this for years. he squares a defender up, hops around a little bit and then either shifts the ball onto his right for a shin breaker, or just rolls it back into midfield. He crossing is about as useful as pedals on a wheelchair
  29. Jul 13, 2018 at 15:07

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    He did sort of try something different the previous year where instead of a cross it was like a diagonal long ball from an area of no threat. As Jose would call it a ballon ball. His numbers were decent on completed crosses but then he was just doing this stupid sort of ball for Zlatan and Fellaini to fight for.

Those (reluctant to call them crosses) crosses were an absolute pile as well and he was delivering them form at least 10 yards Until he reached the 18 yarder. He is infuriating. Hopefully Dalot can replace him this year or maybe Shaw finally comes through and we shift Young to RB.
  30. Jul 13, 2018 at 19:54

It was particularly depressing in the LVG era, where our go to 'attack' plan was Rooney floating his signature pass to him where it inevitably fell apart. Time and time and time again several times per game. Nearly drove me to tears. For two whole seasons ffs. Then I come on here to people defending them. They were still people calling Valencia 'one if the best fullbacks in the league' even last season. I don't understand people
  31. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:09

RedorDead21 Full Member

I remember thinking g Neville couldn’t cross a road so much so me and dad used to just sit and shout for feck sake at each other at least 5 times every match. We used to just laugh in the end! Apparently people think he was a good crosser so maybe my expectations are unfair.
  32. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:11

RedorDead21 Full Member

Well Ashley Cole I think has really poor attacking numbers so I’m not sure it’s a necessity in terms of a fullback if they are in other regards, a great fullback?
  33. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:16

kthanksbye Full Member

It's because our bildup is so laboured and slow that it allows opponents to double up on anyone who has the ball on our wings, add to that Valencia takes too much time to put the ball in which means the central defenders take up good positions to defend.
    Then there's the thing about our players in general being poor with their off the ball movements.

There's a lot more to our poor crossing than the quality of the cross.
  34. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:16

Tomuś Nani is crap, I tell you!

Ok-ish? He would be a WC full-back if he knew could cross well.
  35. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:20

RedorDead21 Full Member

We have to get away from this nonsense. Pogs would play better with better players....players would play better with more supportive manager...player x needs a player y to play his own game...full backs can’t cross because the wind wasn’t right...it’s crap basically. He’s in acres of space and getting his crosses in. If they are hitting a defender it’s his fault. Not the fault of another player not distracting the defender enough etc etc
  36. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:26

kthanksbye Full Member

What kind of a strawman bs is this?
    I said Valencia takes too much time to make a decision, he's by no means an exceptional crosser of the ball, but he is a lot better than what we've seen over the past few seasons. If we can sort out our off the ball movements, we'll do a lot better in terms of moving opponents out of position and find space to make good crosses/passes .
  37. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:27

Reddevildans Full Member

The best crossers from the right side of the pitch by right footers always put a lot of inswing on the ball, like becks, the Chelsea right back and now what we seeing from trippier for example. This brings about easy finishing from the strikers as the ball is laid on a plate with pace and accuracy . His technique is all wrong. What baffles me is that his output was so good in his first season.

He is extremely frustrating. A solid player no doubt and a great servant, but we can do much better.
  38. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:27

Ashley Cole was regarded as the best fullback in the league ahead of even Patrick Evra who for me is one of the best attacking left backs ever. I don't know about numbers, but in terms of footballing ability there's no closeness or similarity between the Cole and Valencia.
  39. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:35

RedorDead21 Full Member

Are his crosses stats wise worse they seem the same to me
  40. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:39

RedorDead21 Full Member

Oh I agree! I think Valencia for a ex winger has done brilliantly to be fair and is an easy target to blame. I think we’ll struggle to do better. Like we underestimated carrick and then couldn’t replace him despite about 5 attempts.