Anyone else see Ole Gunnar Solskjaer......

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by jdmufc, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Aug 28, 2010

jdmufc Roboheart

River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
    as our next manager??

He seems to be doing wonderful things with the reserve team and i wonder if one day he can make the step up?
  2. Aug 28, 2010

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

I don't he'll be the next manager. I can see him one day though.
  3. Aug 28, 2010

ciderman9000000 Banned

I see him as our reserve team manager.
  4. Aug 28, 2010

jdmufc Roboheart

for me it´ll depend on how long fergie goes on for,if its another 3 or 4 years then i really can see him being given a shot.
  5. Aug 28, 2010

jdmufc Roboheart

you always were a very perceptive young chap.
  6. Aug 28, 2010

Feed Me I'm hungry

Re a conversation I had with a work colleague, the other day. Let's call it "Idiocy of football fan":

Me: I wouldn't mind if Ole became our next manager - he's one of the only people who would have pre existing good will. So when the pressure is on, he'll be given more time.

Colleague: :lol: Solskjaer. That would be hilarious.

Me: Why?

Colleague: :lol: Because it's Solskjaer. What's he done?

Me: Well he's a club legend. And plus, it worked out well for Barcelona and Pep didn't it?

Colleague: Yeah, but Guardiola had loads of experience beforehand didn't he... like with the youth teams and reserves and that...

Me: :rolleyes: Yeah, I guess you're right mate. Anyway, better get back to work.
  7. Aug 28, 2010

jdmufc Roboheart

:lol::lol: brilliant
  8. Aug 28, 2010

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    Everybody knows the special one will be our next manager
  9. Aug 28, 2010

Uncle Junior Banned

I don't; what has he done?
  10. Aug 28, 2010

Flying Fox Full Member

Christ!! :lol:
  11. Aug 28, 2010

Feed Me I'm hungry

Dunno man. Ole's only managed the ressies. Is it enough?
  12. Aug 28, 2010

jdmufc Roboheart

he just seems to have the respect of everybody,he´s intelligent and articulate, the only downside i can see is lack of management experience but as pointed out above its worked out ok for Guardiola.
  13. Aug 28, 2010

Feed Me I'm hungry

It's a tough one isn't it.

I have been vocal in saying that I'd back a Mourinho appointed. In terms of carrying on our winning tradition, there would be no better appointment.

That said, I'd be fookin' delighted if we appointed Ole. It's one of those where, once SAF retires, the next manager will be under massive pressure - as soon as results go awry the pressure will be next to unbearable for basically any manager. Mourinho could handle it. But what I'm saying is that if you had someone like Ole, he'd be extended far more patience given his standing within the club.

I must say, from the little I've seen of him as manager with the ressies, I do like the cut of his jib as a manager. We'd be seen as one of the most sporting/gracious sides with him at the helm, that's for sure.
  14. Aug 28, 2010

Successful Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

I think Solskjaer could work as inspiration and motivation, and then they could leave the tactic part up to advisors - just like SAF is getting good advice during games.
  15. Aug 28, 2010

Feed Me I'm hungry

But you're assuming that Ole hasn't got a tactical brain of his own...

All of the plaudits that used to come his way as a player were centred around his ability to tune into the game from the sidelines meaning that when he came on, he was up to speed straight away.
  16. Aug 28, 2010

ciderman9000000 Banned

I agree with your mate tbh. Pep Guardiola was a one off; giving the United managers job to someone with no experience whatsoever above reserve level, club legend or not, would be a pretty stupid decision imo. Just because Pep did well doesn't mean that everyone can now, you'd have to still assume that most managers would fail miserably when given such a steep learning curve and fast-track to elite football.

I'd like to think Ole himself would turn down the job if offered and set himself instead towards doing things properly.
  17. Aug 28, 2010

Feed Me I'm hungry

Yeah, I also have reservations about putting someone like Ole straight in. But I was laughing more at his logic in arriving at his conclusion.

There is a big difference between Pep coming in at Barcelona and Ole at United - level of expectation... Not in the sense that United is a bigger club, but rather we've had a legend of a manager at the helm for nearly a quarter of a century. SAF is an institution and that will create immense pressure for the replacement. Pep came in at Barca after a pretty uninspiring end for Rijkaard.
  18. Aug 28, 2010

TheMancRedDevil Banned

I think the role is quite different really. I'm sure at most of these foreign clubs, the role is "Coach", not "Manager".

Pep Guardiola probably has far fewer responsibilities in his job than Fergie which could be why he's been able to step straight into such a massive job with basically no experience and why Barca were willing to give him his chance in the first place.

Ole seems to be doing great at Reserve level but I can't help thinking that the step up to the big job would be too much and he would need to either work as assistant for a while or move away and get more management experience somewhere else first.
  19. Aug 28, 2010

jdmufc Roboheart

he just isn´t though,i grant you it hasn´t happened often but it has happened before,just look at that old "boot room" thing liverpool had back in the 70´s and 80´s.
  20. Aug 28, 2010

Sylar Full Member

After Fergie leaves in 2055, Mourinho will come in for 2 seasons. He might have Ole as first team coach? That way the pressure of following in Fergies footsteps are passed to Mourinho first. Mourinho wins everything and then leaves to be Portugal manager and Ole comes in, with most of the pressure taken off and he wins everything in his first season...

:wenger: :drool:
  21. Aug 28, 2010

ciderman9000000 Banned

Well, i don't know much about Liverpool in the 1970's, but i do know that in modern day football, giving perhaps the most coverted managerial position in the game to a rookie with no experience whatsoever above reserve team level sounds like one hell of a recipe for disaster.
  22. Aug 28, 2010

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Maybe one day. Not immediately after Sir Alex though.
  23. Aug 28, 2010

VoetbalWizard Banned

guardiola took over a more talented team in its prime with less responsibility (he has a sporting director to handle transfers). it would be romantic to give ole the job, but no chance he gets it.
  24. Aug 28, 2010

BAMSOLA Has issues!

I think if Ole is ever to be our manager it should only be after he leaves the reserve team job and has top level success elsewhere.

For now I see either Mourinho or Mark Hughes as the most likely candidates with Hughes being my personal preference.
  25. Aug 28, 2010

CROmanc Me like tugging

Our biggest enemy is going space crazy through lon
    Yes, I do see him.....I don't think that when Fergie retires, he'll just vanish, he'll probably stay in some role with the club, I can see him being Ole's advisor in the beginning...
  26. Aug 28, 2010

Rood nostradamus like gloater

I think there is precisely ZERO chance of Ole succeeding Fergie.

Ole is not to United, what Guardiola is to Barca - so I just dont see the comparison at all.
  27. Aug 28, 2010

Crerand Legend Banned

I certainly would like to see him added to the first team set up sooner rather than later, his intelligence and game reading could be a real addition
  28. Aug 28, 2010

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Don't see it frankly, we'd be mad to do it.
  29. Aug 28, 2010

MacMUFC Banned

I want Lord Ryan Giggs.
  30. Aug 28, 2010

mexos Academy player

I heard Eikrem said that there was a lot of yelling from Sunny during the HT between Utd-City. I can't seriously picture it, and if I can, it would be hilarious not frightening.
  31. Aug 28, 2010

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Not our next manager, probably Mourinho's (or some other managers) assistant though
  32. Aug 29, 2010

Lester Freamon Aka Caveman

I can imagine Ole to command a lot of respect from the aspiring first-teamers and that they pay attention when he has something to say but as you say I can't really imagine him releasing a hairdryer on the lads. It'll probably be more like those little plastic fans you buy on holiday.
  33. Aug 29, 2010

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

I'd be scared of Ole being next manager incase it didnt work out, and he became any less of a legend than he is now. How could we ever criticise a team selection or a tactical error. He should be immune from any form of criticism forever and ever. Thats not possible as Man Utd manager.
  34. Aug 29, 2010

beardsleybob Full Member

But with Guardiola it was such an easier transition. The team already had a very string core. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Valdes to name a few were solid if not top quality at the time. The sporting director was responsible for clearing out the deadwood like Ronaldinho, Deco, Edmilson, Oleguer and Ezquerro. Granted, he did make some good promotions from the B team. Hardly a difficult decision though since he managed them the season before.
  35. Aug 29, 2010

Cal? from Redcafe (matchfixing department)

This, Ole may get a chance after Mourinho.
  36. Aug 29, 2010

Dwazza Van Hernandez A Special Kind of Hipster

I think Jose will take Ole as his assistant.
  37. Aug 29, 2010

James Parkin Over 65s Team Player

Hughes wrote himself off after he went to city, and started making stupid comments
  38. Aug 29, 2010

jdmufc Roboheart

but in a couple of years i reckon the core of our team will be players that Ole has been working with for the last few years in the reserve sides,he´ll know them well and they´ll know him.
  39. Aug 29, 2010

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

He was interviewed on Irish radio last week (he was over for a reserve game in Tallaght) and when they asked him about managing utd he said 'maybe in 20 years time' but that it was a long long way away.