Are Man City better than us?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Randall Flagg, Apr 30, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Hmm some of those are a bit biased I think but I would say but the biggest issue is how they come together. As I've said before City's front four in general is much more balanced than ours. Although they might play relatively central, the combination of pace, power and technique lets them mix it up. They swap positions, can do little give and go's, are comfortable being forced on their weaker foot etc. In contrast our front four just haven't clicked yet. We see flashes but nothing more. The wingers look to keep to their positions rigidly, they rarely look to come inside and mix it up and so our attack pretty much becomes get the ball wide and wait for the cross. When we do start mixing it up we look undoubtedly better. However poor the defensive play against Everton was, some of the attacks were great because we showed a lot more diversity in attack and for me that's something we need to work on next season and would go a long way to improving us.

As we know there are other areas, particularly a strong partner for Carrick which will help us a lot and personally I think we need to really work on the attacking output of our fullbacks as we often don't get enough from them.
  2. May 7, 2012

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority"

It is not a given. People forget what it took for us to rise to and then see off the Chelsea challenge. We had Ronaldo really turning it on, second coming of Scholes/Giggs amd smart buys of Evra/Vida. Even then Chelsea pushed us to the brink in all our title and CL wins.

I personally don't think we will see another horror run of games from City like this season from now on. So from next season, they won't be handing us any advantage and we will have to fight for it. Similar impetus will be needed. To expect a third coming from golden oldies will be stupid but we will need the young players to step up their level very soon.
  3. May 7, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

I dont think that City is any better of a team than we are , both teams are 19 points in front of the 3 rd placed team and with the injuries we have had this season and our main defender out most of the season I think we have done fantastic.
    I think City have an edge in a few places , Hart is better that DDG but there is not that much in it , Kompany is City's rock in defence.

The fact that City would not of been able to buy the players that they have with out the oil money is the problem for a lot of fans and I agree it is a problem , but even after spending all that money they are only better than us by goal difference and 3 of them came at the end of a very bad derby at OT.

There is no doubt that City have improved massively but IMHO only up to our level , a couple or 3 good signing and we will be ahead of them and they will be trying to catch us.
  4. May 7, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

I dont think that is true either, but I do think that United an City are going to be the teams to beat for a few seasons.
    I dont really see how City can improve there squad the way it is but we can improve in a couple of areas.
  5. May 7, 2012

holyland red Full Member

City's squad is much deeper than United's. If both teams progressed in the CL the gap might have been wider.
  6. May 7, 2012

RK Full Member

That's complete bollocks. Look at how City were competing after 1 or two injuries/suspensions, and compare that to how we competed with a decimated squad at times.
  7. May 7, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

I agree with this , look how City played when Kompany was out , they fell apart , they had no real cover for him.
    City have been very lucky this season with very few injury worries , I would like do see how they do with our injury list , see how deep there squad is then.
  8. May 7, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

9. May 7, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Both players were a big loss for both sides. For different reasons. But both sides were fortunate to have ample cover. They had Balotelli for Tevez, we had Evans for Vidic.

If we had lost Rooney for the season it would have hurt us far more just as for them if they lost Kompany it would hurt them far more.

Just different positions that is all.

But you cannot fail to admit Tevez has made a big difference since his return. Even though he is not fit enough to finish the games.

I think looking back he has become a key factor in City's comeback.
  10. May 7, 2012

RK Full Member

Which kind of sums up City as a club.
  11. May 7, 2012

RK Full Member

Imagine if we'd just pulled back an 8-point deficit instead of losing it, the mood on here would be very different.

Football fans have poor memories (and generally shite judgement) - just because we've been below-par in the last couple of weeks, everyone has forgotten City being blow-par for a decent spell before that and us gaining 30 million points from a possible 30 million and two.

At the end of the day we're level on points. I accept that won't win you the league if the other team has had better scorelines, but there's no gulf between the teams.
  12. May 7, 2012

holyland red Full Member

I don't think City "fell apart" at any stage of the season. The dropped some silly points, which always happens, and are still on course to finish the season with 89 points. I don't think we're that far away, but on the other hand i don't think they have a vital weakness similar to ours at CM. They'd miss Kompany of course, but against most sides their forward line will be enough to compensate for his absense. In contrast, we have looked flat on too many occasions, lacking ideas/creativity in midfield and struggled against mediocre opposition. Now with Scholes having to be rested against Wigan ended in catastrophy I'd hate to think what might have happened had we still been involved in Europe.
  13. May 7, 2012

holyland red Full Member

Wasn't Yaya away for the ANC for a month too?
  14. May 7, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Are you really disputing this? Hart may be a tad overrated, but he's certainly been better than De Gea. Even a Man United fan should be able to acknowledge that.
  15. May 7, 2012

BD94 A boob

This season, there's no doubt that Hart has been better. But, in a few seasons, I can see DDG being on the same level, if not better than Hart.
  16. May 7, 2012

friendlytramp More full of crap than a curry house toilet

The difference between us and city is that we have a strong squad of players of similar levels of ability that can often play a number of positions within the different systems we play and can be rotated throughout the season.
    This makes us more durable and less vulnerable to the impacts of injuries and lack of form etc. Saf works this system brilliantly to ensure we are usually good enough to beat most opposition, it's why we are level with city despite their best eleven being much stronger (and more expensive)than ours (it is also why we look outclassed in one off games against the best teams in the world).
  17. May 7, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Possibly, but that wasn't what he said.
  18. May 7, 2012

TOM_H Full Member

Lets get some perspective here.
    United have lost Vidic & Fletcher for most of the season also having various players like Valencia, Nani and Smalling missing at times. De Gea, Jones and Young bedding in, and the sum of this is that City will probably win the title on "goal difference". I say again "goal difference"
    The press talk of a shift in power - who believes this bollocks?
    Don't believe the hype

We WILL be back because we are UNITED!
  19. May 7, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

That is where our opinions differ.

Evans, as well as he performed for a period, is nowhere near good enough to compare with Vidic.

They didn't only have Balotelli as cover either. Further to that, their system doesn't always require two CF's as such so I think it is silly to compare the two.

Vidic is probably the first name on our team sheet. Tevez isn't.
  20. May 7, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

I will agree with that , but it is not much in it , Hart is what 4 years older that DDG in 4 years DDG will be a better keeper than Hart