1. Hey Guest, there's a new Podcast: Football, Bloody Hell! Podcast Episode 9 - Afroman

Are Man City better than us?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Randall Flagg, Apr 30, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012

ghaliboy Snitches on Tom Hagen

When you dump half a billion pounds it has to be worth something.
    Still two games to go :)
  2. May 1, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

points. Nope.

it'll be weird for a lot of you if city lose to Newcastle and we win the title. That would mean the better team didn't win the title according to this thread. And it means Liverpool were better than us under Rafas 2nd place season.

Whoever wins the title is better and it's not over. Those giving up before it is are rather pathetic.
  3. May 1, 2012

Edmeiste Banned

I saw it Neviller but I've spent the past 20 minutes looking through the other posts. I completely agree with you. My disappointment comes more out of the fact that we had it and let it slip away.
  4. May 1, 2012

Edmeiste Banned

That's what gets me too. City weren't that much better. They definitely threatened more than we did but I dont think they played that well. Being the home side, you wouldn't expect any less in terms of the way they came at us.

It's a sickening performance and depending on the way you look at it, a disappointing season. Just begs the question, where do we go from here?

We obviously have some talented players in our ranks and we've suffered from an unfortunate injury crisis but we still came up short when it mattered. The way we lost bothered me more than the loss itself. We've seen losses like far too much this season.

This may be a learning season as some have pointed out but it's shown us that we need to start moving things in the right direction otherwise we will hit a snag.

Maybe my viewpoint will change and be a bit more positive in the morning but for now, I'm beyond disappointed.
  5. May 1, 2012

Ekeke Full Member

The crushing part is they'll be better next season. Certainly wont feck up as much as this season and they'll bring in a few, happier, faces to rely on. With some luck they'll have much tougher injuries to deal with... But depending on what they do with the squad, they might be able to cope with significant injuries.
  6. May 1, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

So will we if everyone is healthy. And as much as Tevez says he is happy....

They haven't been a very good team without him.

Also, once these UEFA fair play rules come into effect, City are fecked. Completely fecked.
  7. May 1, 2012

iAm20Legend Full Member

Why? I thought they'd just get banned from Europe, at worst? Nothing to prevent them here in the EPL, right, or am I mistaken?
    They'll just keep spending ....
  8. May 1, 2012

AlwaysRedwood Banned

You think they'll be just happy winning the EPL?

Okay.
  9. May 1, 2012

Lawman Full Member

This makes me cringe
  10. May 1, 2012

Lance Uppercut Loves turn based games

:lol:
  11. May 1, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

But why should it? How can anyone compete against a football team backed by the resources of a small oil-rich country? Platini calls it financial doping, and that's a good description.
  12. May 1, 2012

moses control

Yes, why bother reading the whole thread? I have said the OP has a right to say something, not that what he said was right. Hysterical nonces everywhere. This sudden decision that someone can't decide that one team is better than another without a finalised league table is quite new to me.
  13. May 1, 2012

Ruud_boy_10 Full Member

We're level on points mate. They cant be that much better than us.
  14. May 1, 2012

Raoul Administrator

When both clubs are at or near full strength, City are slightly better than us. Its been proven at OT, they nearly came back with 10 men in the Cup, and outplayed us yesterday. We need better players.
  15. May 1, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

I'm not sure there's much in it to be honest. They are technically better than us though. But it's hard to come to conclusions when we mess up with our tactics. They started with a line up meant to control the game. We set up to defend. That's exactly what happened. They controled and we defended. And without your best defender you're always liable to concede from set pieces against players like Kompany and Lescott. Basically we fell into a trap.
  16. May 1, 2012

Ruud_boy_10 Full Member

Our seasons are identical. There's only a few goals between us.
  17. May 1, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Well we are competing
  18. May 1, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

The FFP rules are going to have zero effect on teams like City and everybody knows it. There are evidently loopholes in it. In fact, City's stadium deal may already be one, which basically allows them to keep spending as much as they want without hesitation.

The rule is just there so that UEFA can look as if they're doing something.
  19. May 1, 2012

finneh Full Member

I said a few weeks ago I've never seen a season before where we've only dropped 2 points when we have been the better team. Usually we lose a couple of times and draw 3-4 times when we deserve to win, whether due to bad luck, poor refereeing or just an inability to score when we are totally dominant.

This season is the first where I've only come out of one game angry - Newcastle at home. Every other game we have dropped points in I was just sad/depressed at the performance, not pissed at the result.
  20. May 1, 2012

Commadus Banned

They won the FA Cup by beating us and now they have won the title by beating us again.

The tide has turned.

The real question is will they get stronger?

I dont know where we are heading team wise.

Giggs/ Scholes get another year yet there seems no replacements in sight.

When can you call it time on Anderson?
    Berbatov looks to be going as well. Owen?
    Fletcher?
  21. May 1, 2012

Cina hell hath no fury like a Cina scorned

I'm merely agreeing with him. Don't think I've ever done the same with you, possibly because you never post anything remotely worthwhile.

Thank SAF for that. As someone already said, if he had that City squad they'd have the league won long ago.
  22. May 1, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

Yes. They had too much money not to.
  23. May 1, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Don't see what the issue is with the OP, it's one man's opinion, and he is entitled to it.

He is probably right too, as of right now City may well be a better side than us and the record against them in the past few competitive games shows. We won the FA cup game but still struggled for a majority and were a man to the good since about the 20th minute. Injuries haven't helped either, but we can't keep blaming them. We went down without really fighting last night, and created nothing. Was just so poor to witness.
  24. May 1, 2012

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

The annoying thing is if we hadn't collapsed and let 3 goals in towards the end at OT and lost 3-1 instead of 6-1 we be only 2 goals behind them right now instead of 8.
  25. May 1, 2012

soapythecat Full Member

To the OP - I think you are right. We may be joint on points but they have outplayed us twice this season in the league.
    Fergie said last night that united never play for a draw - well, if that attempt last night against our most bitter rivals was playing for a win, then the potential for the way the two teams are heading is huge.
    It might of only being one game, but for a team chasing a title we have been shocking of late. City have been superb. I hate them will all my heart but you have to hold your hand up and say they have been the better side.
    If we want to challenge again next season, we need to strenghten massively, because City will be better - no doubt about that.
  26. May 1, 2012

Man-United Full Member

Doncaster should be better than us if they spent that kind of money too.
  27. May 1, 2012

Inigo Montoya Full Member

If we hadn't capitulated against Newcastle or lost against Blackburn when 2-2...........if if if.We could go on. That's sport for you it can hinge on a moment of genius as Rooney's overhead or a moment of indiscretion as our poor defending at one corner.
  28. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

I don't think City are really that much better than us.

We've got some world class players, Vidic, Rooney, Nani, Valencia etc etc.

Our wings are certainly stronger. Personally I think our defence as a unit is stronger as well. It's just a shame it's been hit with so many injuries.

We are weaker in some areas, but we've got a great squad and we've got a great first 11.

This title race will be won on fine margins. It'll probably go down to goal difference..
  29. May 1, 2012

Commadus Banned

I think United have played as well as they could. City should have wrapped the season up well before this the way they were playing. They are not playing at their potential whilst we were. That's the difference.

City 100% >> United 100% but we were better at playing at or near our potential more often. City were not playing at their best consistently but have done enough to win. If City can maintain their peak performance for longer next season then they will be even harder to catch.
  30. May 1, 2012

Cina hell hath no fury like a Cina scorned

I don't think there's any real comparison between the first XI we had out and the first XI they had out last night. And say what you want about injuries, but Vidic was the only real player we have out who Fergie would've played in the game last night. I guess maybe Evans.
  31. May 1, 2012

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Fluffin my fluffy cat plottin for world domination
    They are, on paper and on the field.

The only thing we edge them is experience and winner's mentality, sadly that doesn't show on the pitch last night, therefore mathematically they're better than us last night.

I've only seen first half, but from what i've seen it's Barcelona once again, we failed to have possession at all, playing giggs, scholes, and park in the same line up is a mistake IMHO, they just don't have the legs to chase around the ball
  32. May 1, 2012

Fletch would have played
  33. May 1, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Our wide players are without question superior. Defensively it is far closer than many will care to admit.

Clichy, Kolarov, Richards and Zabaleta certainly give them the edge over our fullbacks but obviously we have the better centre backs. Although I would say
    Lescott is one of the leagues most improved players.

Joe Hart for now, without doubt their midfield and sadly up front they have us beaten.

It is not a huge gulf by any means. But looking at this season it is hard to argue who has the better squad. We have done remarkably well to nearly win it.

We do have loads of potential. But will take time. In the meanwhile they will not wait for potential and add more established stars.

Lets hope they do a Chelsea, as we have seen with Ballack and Shevchenko.
  34. May 1, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Umm our wide players are stronger because City don't play with wingers.
  35. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

People claiming they're a much better side on paper.

Why? Who is better in their first 11?

Hart - Da Gea
    Richards - Rafael
    Ferdinand - Lescott
    Vidic - Kompany
    Evra - Clichy

Valencia - Nasri
    Carrick - Barry
    Yaya- Scholes
    Nani - Silva

Rooney - Aguero
    Welbeck - Tevez

Lindergaard - Pantmillion
    Evans - Kolo
    Smalling - Savic
    Jones - Zabaletta
    Young - Johnson
    Dzeko - Hernandez
    Balliotelli - Berbatov
    Fletcher - De Jong

To me the teams and squads are fairly equal. Which is why the title race is the closest in ages.

People do not realise how good our team is.
  36. May 1, 2012

Historically that seems to be the case.When you have megalomaniac owners the demand for more and more becomes obsessive.

Let's pray for pro democarcy riots in Abu Dhabi;)
  37. May 1, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Well they have Johnson and Milner. Although he normally plays centre these days
  38. May 1, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Our team is not as good as you think.

Oh and Welbeck > Tevez? :lol:
  39. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

They certainly have wide players in their squad. It's just they're often shite (Adam Johnson springs to mind) they just don't play with them because they're nowhere near as good as ours.
  40. May 1, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Then why are we so close to City?

This is what I want to know, and I'll be waiting a long time for an answer.

If our team is so much worse than City's, why did we go out in the same stage of the CL, knock them out in the FA Cup, beat them in the Charity Shield, and are currently on the exact same numbers as points in the league as them?

Why are we so close in the league, after they've had the least amount of injuries and we've had the most? Why if our squad is so bad, after having about four times as many injuries as City this season, are we level on points?

Anyone care to explain?