Are Manchester United Legends Global Legends?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Number1, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Jan 29, 2018

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

This is a question is to United fans outside the UK really.

When i look at other massive clubs similar stature to Manchester United, the likes of Madrid and Barcelona. These clubs have had some massive globally renowed legends play for them, Maradona/L.Ronaldo/C.Ronaldo/Messi/Zidane/Di Stefano/Ronaldinho/R.Carlos (list goes on).

Looking at Manchester United legends though - Best/Law/Charlton/Edwards/Cantona/C.Ronaldo/Giggs/Scholes/Keane.

How many of United legends are regarded as legends of the game outside the UK?

I'd argue other than Best and C.Ronaldo, Manchester United legends are just domestic legends, views?
  2. Jan 29, 2018

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Yes I’d say so certainly, but as you say would be interesting to get other views, along with the legends of other clubs, the likes of Lampard, Henry etc
  3. Jan 29, 2018

Arbitrium Taking a year off

Charlton, Law, scholes, Edwards not globally known I’d say. Maybe charlton at a push.
  4. Jan 29, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Charlton is definitely a global legend, I’d say. You rarely go a United match without him being zoomed in by the camera and mentioned by commentators.
  5. Jan 29, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Schmiechel, van der Sar, Ronaldo, Irwin, van Nistlerooy, Charlton, Beckham.... Not global stars?
  6. Jan 29, 2018

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Charlton spearheaded England's 1966 World Cup win, among many other things. He's up there with Eusebio and Beckenbauer as the biggest names of the 1960s. He most definitely is a global football icon.
  7. Jan 29, 2018

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

Sure many of these players are known now, but they will they be remembered in 50 years time outside the UK and be regarded as 'legends' even by none United fans?

That's my question.
  8. Jan 29, 2018

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Charlton was the subject of a renowned Two Ronnies sketch, based on the widely-held notion that Brits abroad would be treated well by foreigners merely for mentioning the name 'Bobby Charlton'...which would bring forth recognition and a smile. That's how famous Sir Bobby is.
  9. Jan 29, 2018

Nanook Full Member

Irwin? A global star?
  10. Jan 29, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    If Scholes isn't, Roberto Carlos and Fat Frank have got no chance.
  11. Jan 29, 2018

SirAF Ageist

:lol:
  12. Jan 29, 2018

Fergie 7ime New Member

I can only speak of the Dutch, but here there isn’t a soul who speaks of someone like Scholes in the same breath as Xavi for example. Offcourse everyone knows Cristiano, but he’s mostly looked down upon because of his theatrics on the pitch. And Messi can’t put a foot wrong. I just feel the Dutch don’t have any connection with English sides because of the difference in way of play and that has it’s reflection in who they think are the big stars of the past and present.
  13. Jan 29, 2018

The difference is that we've rarely tried to sign ready-made superstars like Real & co have historically done.
  14. Jan 29, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

I'd say Beckham, Charlton, Ronaldo and Cantona are our players with truly global appeal but in terms of legendary status for footballing ability and acknowledged globally for their quality ..

Ronaldo, Charlton and Schmeichel... Best more tricky as I'm not sure how well received he is internationally over the ages. Scholes is well remembered arguably more highly rated abroad but global icon? Not sure about that.
  15. Jan 29, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

Roberto Carlos definitely bigger global legend than Scholes imo. Everyone knows who he is and an all time great to boot.
  16. Jan 29, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

Read a stat today that Alexis Sanchez's signing created more interested around the world online than the Neymar signing. This both made sense and blew my mind at the same time.
  17. Jan 29, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Probably depends on what part of the world you're from really.
  18. Jan 29, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    Think we definitely have global legends in our history, Best, Charlton, Cantona, Giggs etc... players who embodied something more than just a good footballer. However, it annoys me slightly the way the term "Legend" gets bandied around our club sometimes. I mean, I've heard former players like Paul Parker & Diego Forlan bestowed with the term.
  19. Jan 29, 2018

Penna Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak) Staff

It's absolutely true. I've been to really far-flung tiny places, they ask where you're from, you say "England" and they say "Ah, Bobby Charlton! Manchester United!"
  20. Jan 29, 2018

"Nobby Stiles."
  21. Jan 29, 2018

Handré1990 Full Member

Beckham, Cantona and Ronaldo I’d say for sure from the days I started watching.

Although Charlton and Best would be greater heroes from an earlier time. My dad, who’s never been that into football (understatement), would always bring up SBC and Best as some of the greatest footballers ever to kick a ball. On the few occasions he would watch a game with me (my younger days) he’d always tell me how Best was thrice the player compared to who we had at that time, he even said his charms were twice that of Beckham.
  22. Jan 29, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

One of the first things I read about United when I was younger was supposedly how true this anecdote was.
  23. Jan 29, 2018

Gasolin Full Member

I disagree, in recent eras, Beckam was a huge star, and even players like Scholes and Giggs were stars in Europe, recognized by a lot of people. Cantona was a mystery because in France, he was seen as good but not exceptionally good...

Ruud was a global star, Rio was, Vidic was. Basically, the globalisation of the sport has made the whole team that was champion and European champion a star team, there's very few doubts about it.

In addition to the 2 you mentioned, of course.
  24. Jan 29, 2018

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    Cantona was a legend during my school years, in Azores islands, and is certainly well remembered by most people my age. I remember going on a school trip to watch the movie "Elizabeth" and the buzzing in the theatre when Cantona appeared.

I always heard of Bobby Charlton too, but always associated him with England (for knocking Portugal out of WC '66) and am not sure I even knew he was a United player until I joined the cafe. I'd say Best is more easily associated with United, but of course, that's just my own experience.
  25. Jan 29, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

In South America the PL only became popular in the mid to late 00s I'd say.

Even the CL wasn't that popular bar when teams featuring your countrymen played.

As opposed to Asia having few exports, or Africa having loads in the PL, South Americans mainly focused on the other leagues and Real/Barca/Milan.

For example, Brazilian TV pundits spent the entire WC quarter in 2002 referring to "Beckman".

Any previous knowledge is derived from World Cups, so Charlton and Moore make it, but Gary Lineker is better known than George Best.

All in all, United household names would be Cristiano, SAF, Rooney and Charlton. In that order.

With Cristiano it's not even about United and with Charlton about England, so the average person associates United with SAF and Rooney.

Chicharito as well (even if Mexico ain't South America), Valencia too, but not exactly as legends. Hopefully Sánchez in a year or two.
  26. Jan 29, 2018

King7Eric Full Member

The likes of Giggs, Beckham, Rooney are definitely global stars. Whether you quantify them as legends depends on your personal opinion. I think a lot of people underestimate the standing of a lot of our players. Last season for instance when we got Pogba and Zlatan people were banding on about no longer needing Rooney from a commercial viewpoint. Well having grown up in India and travelled through Asia, I can tell you even with his waning abilities, there is no way Zlatan or Pogba could match Rooney's worldwide popularity.

Pogba's profile has grown because he plays for us, it's not the other way around. Being a big star for Manchester United is as big a deal as being one for Real and Barca. These 3 clubs are on another planet when it comes to global pulling power. Even Zlatan with all his accolades was/is never as big a deal in Asia and Australia as someone like a Rooney or Beckham.
  27. Jan 29, 2018

King7Eric Full Member

Exactly this. I can't comment upon South America but what you say definitely holds true for Asia. Even here in Spain, people associate Man Utd with SAF, Rooney, Beckham and the fact that we sold Ronaldo to Madrid.
  28. Jan 29, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

Many of the non United players listed in the OP are more famous for their national side also so it’s not something that shows Utd’s heroes are any less legendary than other clubs. Would Zidane, Maradona, Ronaldo and the like be as famous but for their World Cup wins? With the game becoming more and more about club Football any legends Utd have will be just as global as any other.
  29. Jan 29, 2018

Ram1fy New Member

Ronaldo, Rooney and Beckham are the only global legends.. however you want to see it
  30. Jan 29, 2018

matador Full Member

Marketing-wise, I'd definitely go for Beckham and Cristiano. Those are the ManU legends almost everybody knows about (even non-football fans) outside the UK.

In terms of sports, though, I'd say that Charlton and Best are great legends. Then you have the Ferguson-era legends such as Cantona, Scholes, Keane.
  31. Jan 29, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Manchester United is the biggest club in the world so yes, they are global stars. Beckham was the biggest player in the world by far. Don't think either Ronaldo or Messi matches his heights.

Pre-PL era it was more about who were the stars of the WC. There aren't many players bigger pre-1990 than Charlton or Best besides Maradona or Pele. Only one of them got a mention on Frasier, a show as far from football as can be.
  32. Jan 29, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Of course they are. Why is it that the only fans that underestimate the reach of the EPL are the EPL fans themselves?
  33. Jan 29, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    From France it would be Cantona, Beckham, Cristiano and maybe Rooney.
  34. Jan 29, 2018

rpg Full Member

Beckham > Ronaldo >>>> Rooney
    In this order.
    Only 3 guys are well known among non football fans outside Europe.
  35. Jan 29, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Rooney, SAF, Beckham, Cantona and Ronaldo seem to be the main ones.
  36. Jan 29, 2018

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    Liverpool had more .
  37. Jan 29, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    "Global legends"?

Dalglish? Rush? .....
  38. Jan 29, 2018

Harry190 Full Member

It's not the clubs. It's something related to nations.
  39. Jan 29, 2018

borrays New Member

Easy to forget with the brilliance of messi and ronaldo today but David Beckham was a trully megastar back then. I have a sister who doesnt give shit about football, didnt know anything about man united but she had Beckham's poster in her room. And this is from non-internet era. So if you ask will our players be remembered globally? I'd say yes.
  40. Jan 30, 2018

RexHamilton Gumshoe for hire

Giggs and United got mentioned in the Simpsons.