Are silly tactics hampering us in games?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by noodlehair, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Mar 16, 2019

noodlehair "It's like..."

Just something I've thought for a few games now.

When Ole came in, one thing that was obvious and made an immediate difference was that he picked players in positions they play well in, and played to their strengths. Rashford as a main striker, Pogba in behind the forwards where his defensive work was less important. Every player in the team seemed to fit in the position or role they were in. Seems very simple but when you have good players it works. We played well for about 10-12 games in a row.

Of late, we seem to be doing the opposite. We are using silly formations. Pogba is practically playing as a left winger. Rashford is back to being forced wide and trying to beat players on his own. We're doing things like picking Bailly as a fullback for no reason, playing Lingard as a striker. We set up with the same system against Wolves that we used away at Spurs. Against Spurs it made sense. Their fullbacks push up the pitch. They press. We could counter them. Wolves don't do this...we showed zero awareness of our opponent. It raises the question of whether we knew why we used this system against Spurs in the first place, or just got lucky with it.

Now of late, since we started with the faffing around, we don't win half the time and when we do it's a massive struggle. I know injuries and the difficulty of the fixtures are very big factors in this so I think there's only so much you can read into it, but I don't really understand what we are doing. I don't understand what the benefit of the diamond formations is (other than to the opposition to who it seems to hand a free reign of the middle of the pitch). I don't understand why you would not play with a striker when there is no alternative plan. I don't understand why Bailly would start a game at fullback. I don't understand setting up against Wolves as if you are expecting them to attack you all game.

I think we need to just stick to the basics this season and probably in general, as that's what seems to work for us.
  2. Mar 16, 2019

Fridge chutney Full Member

Potentially, but we were always going to go on a run of not winning. Arsenal didn't concern me but Wolves was bad. The match where Ole got tactics incorrect. He's done well otherwise.
  3. Mar 16, 2019

Rifer Full Member

I think proactiveness in changing tactics is missing in this game.

Tactics is fine imo, but if it doesn't work, then change/adjust it way early while the game is running, not to wait for the other team to score and force you to change.

Idk, but I get the impression our coaches are lazy in this game, too trusting and not lively. They're usually fine in the many past games, responding early in making changes. Complacency?

Selection of players to start this two past games is also questionable.
  4. Mar 16, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Our squad depth is letting us down more. Players are not fit so he’s juggling
  5. Mar 16, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    We tried the split strikers against Wolves to take advantage of their wingbacks and the expected lack of width across their defensive line.

There was definitely a logic to it. It just didn't work.
  6. Mar 16, 2019

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

What was wrong with the formation today?
  7. Mar 16, 2019

KjaAnd Full Member

I think it comes down to more than one thing. I agree it does seem like Pogba has been instructed to move away from the 10 position for some reason.

However, what is most striking to me, is how we have abandoned the strategy of high pressing. Now, this may be somewhat due to fatigue, but if that's the case, Ole needs to come up with something else. So far, he hasn't done that and we look absolutely clueless both defending and attacking.
  8. Mar 16, 2019

pascell Full Member

Top class managers have their main tactic, when its countered they have another tactic to drive it in their favour, I'm not entirely convinced Ole has it and I guess time will tell but we're at the business end are being found out too easily.

Teams know if they get men behind the ball, don't leave space in behind then we struggle breaking them down.

Ole wants us to control games more, we simply don't have the players for it, at no point in the game tonight did it feel like we had full control on what the outcome of the game would be.
  9. Mar 16, 2019

jesperjaap Full Member

I think injuries forced our hand to the diamond, though surprised we played it today
  10. Mar 16, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

Not silly tactics. Majority of our players have deficiencies in their game and also attitude in some of them. The players have to stand for themselves for the shit show they put out there when they get frustrated.
  11. Mar 16, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Today was more about players than Ole imo, but he still made some mistakes. I don't get why he's too late in reading the game and putting subs in. People can say bench was shite but any subs to bring energy will do.

As for his tactics, he's kinda like Zidane I believe, but with less quality.
  12. Mar 17, 2019

cyril C Full Member

Are you using the wrong words? When the squad was down to 12 players we beat PSG and host of other teams. When 5 injured players return our squad depth is a problem?
  13. Mar 17, 2019

I don't really see the logic. Their wingbacks rarely push up apart from on the counter and even if they did that would still leave their centrebacks in the middle where we had no one. Their defenders must have been baffled how easy it was for them today.

The Pogba thing is really begining to irk me. He looked like arguably the best player in the league playing as a kind of deep no10. Since we've moved him to the left he just looks like a harder working version of the player he was under Mourinho. Hit and miss at best. Sacrificing your best player for a formation is a ridiculous thing to do when the formation doesn't even offer a benefit to any of the other players. I understand injuries being an issue but even so, it'd be quite easy to fit Pogba into a central advanced role.

The lack of pressing I think is also down to the formation. It's hard to press without leaving yourself too open when you have no players in the middle of the pitch.

I agree they forced our hand, I just don't think they specifically force us to play with this diamond formation. When you have injuries it's probably more important to get the best out of the players you do have, and what we've done is the opposite. Pogba and Rashford were our best two performing players prior to us picking up injuries, and they're the two who are most marginalised by the diamond formation. When you look at the difference in performance levels form the two before and after we started playing this system it's actually quite staggering, and too glaringly obvious to just be a coincidence.
  14. Mar 17, 2019

Don't buy that. The players were poor tonight, but I would strongly suspect that if you played Wolves 100 times with Lingard as your central forward and Martial and Rashford trying to play on the counter on the wings, you would be in for 100 games of struggle. Especially if you instruct your players not to press and come up with a bunch of ridiculous obviously planned corner routines that are designed to play the opposition through on goal.
  15. Mar 17, 2019

jesperjaap Full Member

No, i agree with you. The first couple of games we did it, I understood, the last three games we have played I dont agree with it personally. Personally I do think the end of the honeymoon period, injuries, players coming back from injuries, general form, tougher games that have exposed our weaknesses individually have had more of an impact, but the formation is a contributing factor for sure, should have been 4-3-3 for me again today
  16. Mar 17, 2019

The Nani Full Member

I don’t understand why this diamond midfield of Ole’s is so wide. Pogba playing practically on the left wing all day today with Herrera playing right mid and Matic the only one in the center of the park. This makes passing the ball extremely difficult as the wings are crowded and the opposing defense isn’t pulled this way or that by central passing and movement. And it leaves acres of space in the middle for the opposition to attack. I just don’t get it.
  17. Mar 17, 2019

POF Full Member

Whether it's 4-3-3 or the diamond, Pogba has been playing the exact same position - left of the midfield 3. Herrera plays deeper on the right than Pogba on the left but I am amazed how many people think he played as a 10. He played on the left of a 4 at Arsenal because United only had 2 forwards, both who want to play as central strikers.

I don't think they played a diamond today. It was a 4-3-3 in my opinion, the same formation as Ole played at the start of his reign.
  18. Mar 17, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

• The forwards can't trap the ball and bring the team upfeild.
    • Movement of The front three specially martial is crap
    • The defense won't pass the ball from the back
    • Matic is a sideways passer
    • The whole team can't circulate the ball in spaces and make use of the spaces well lacks intelligence on the ball
    • The likes of pogba are half arsed without the ball and not very intelligent on the ball as a playmaker while in combination with matic the press never works.
    • Full backs and wingers can't get their combination right and overlap effectively and play with more intelligence.
    Let's blame the manager for all these defeciencies in these players. I don't buy it. These players are unreliable and inconsistent.
  19. Mar 17, 2019

GM K Full Member

There is an elephant in the room and I won't pretend it is not there...

When Jose was sacked and Ole was hired, the players were all fired up. They ran twice as much, fought twice as much and played out of their skin. They wanted to prove that Jose was the problem and suddenly Mourinho became the worst manager in world football. Pogba (the leader of the team) especially typified this. He was like a man on fire, a man reborn.

That honeymoon period is over now ladies and gentlemen. Reality is setting back in. Now we are seeing some of the problems of old. As a United fan, I am happy about this to an extent because it presents a chance for us to actually fix our problems.

We all need to calm down. Let's not start blaming Ole now otherwise we will keep changing managers like Real Madrid or Chelsea. We are not them. We are United.

Jose was a problem but he was never the only problem. We need to be objective and look at the team holistically. There is a problem with the quality of the players we rely too much upon for results. They are talented but inconsistent and they lack real leadership abilities. Five games they are world class and then the next game they are really poor.

While there were a few tactical decisions worth scrutinizing, I do not believe our problem yesterday was primarily tactics. Too many of the lads were just poor. Ole, if you ask me, has been splendid and we should not bother looking for another manager. But to succeed, the club needs to address some very fundamental issues regarding the squad.
  20. Mar 17, 2019

ZupZup Full Member

I really don’t recognise this analysis at all... Wolves full backs don’t push high up the pitch? I must be watching a different game because they absolutely do practically every time Wolves have the ball. Their three centre backs spread out and the two full backs push up.

We were poor last night in terms of our own counter largely through our own poor passing and because Wolves were excellent at using cynical fouls to break up play in a lot of our breaks. There were opportunities though.

I saw plenty of other issues. Not enough runs in behind or the willingness to play those passes. A couple of times we did try it and were effective... even with a decent Smalling ball in the channel that Lingard had run in behind for. The main issue was that we just didn’t move the ball quickly enough which made it far too easy for Wolves to defend against. Lots of slow side to side possession without actually going anywhere until we eventually give the ball away and open ourselves up to their counter attacks.
  21. Mar 17, 2019

Cliche Guevara Full Member

This is more true than a lot of people care to believe.

When Ole came in he said quite a few things plenty chose to ignore or didn’t interpret. He was clear that he felt there was no excuse being sixth and the players should always fight for the shirt and fans, regardless of the manager.

Ole’s view also is players are responsible for their own development, only needing to be guided by the management team.

I think we’re going to continue to learn about some of these players.
  22. Mar 17, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Phew. At least someone was watching the same game I did. Tactics schmactics, it was a lack of urgency and quality on the ball that lost the game. Nothing else.
  23. Mar 17, 2019

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Over elaborate and overplaying last night. Could have been a little more pragmatic and gone over the top at times, though that would have been better with big Rom up front bullying them.

I know we want to play a certain way but the lack of crossing both from the wings and centrally was evident
  24. Mar 17, 2019

Yes, you're right but tactically we failed to cope with a 5 man midfield. It's arguable with how ineffective Martial was, that we should have gone with a fresh Fred in midfield and just have Lingard behind Rashford. Wolves had Jota supporting Jimenez who was brilliant at bringing people into play.

They had their game plan down to a tee and we didn't respond, end of.
  25. Mar 17, 2019

wolvored Full Member

Thats the most sensible thing wrote for a good while. Well said!
  26. Mar 17, 2019

Saying we should have gone with Fred ahead of Martial is textbook hindsight management.

Nothing wrong with backing our first choice midfield three to win the midfield battle against Wolves and Martial is supposed to be one of our most dangerous attacking players. With no Lukaku, he had to start.
  27. Mar 17, 2019

Yes it’s a bit hindsight you’re correct but it was apparent from about the middle of the 1st half that we were getting no joy out of midfield or Martial. Changes could have been made

Hindsight as you say. We lost, time to move on
  28. Mar 17, 2019

That’s a fair point. We maybe should have given Martial the hook a bit earlier. Or made a change in midfield. I’m sure Ole was hoping they’d play their way through the obvious rustiness.

Shit happens though. As others are saying, the pattern with these players is so long established it was crazy to expect Ole to turn things round any more dramatically than he already has without an overhaul of the squad.
  29. Mar 17, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I never expected their wingbacks to push up too much given the mobility and quality Martial, Rashford and Lingard possess. And it worked out exactly that way. They dropped it into a back 5 as expected to kill the space we would have otherwise had. Noodles is correct on this point. Wolves sat back and all it resulted in was our forwards getting corned into useless spaced out wide.

I think it's fair to admit that this tactic was the wrong one and remained a problem throughout the game.

As long as Ole learns from these things, it's actually better if he gets it out of the way now. And it has to be said that every manager gets the tactics wrong at some point. Even SAF did.

But yeah, I think we need to focus on the fluidity of our football rather than innovative tactics. Of course these things can happen at the same time but as a fan I suppose that's what I'd like to see.
  30. Mar 17, 2019

Maticmaker Full Member

For all the world it looked last night as if we had returned to the ways of Jose!

Where was the freedom up front, why have three fast attackers who stay in formation, it was thirty minutes at least before Martial ventured off the left touchline and Lingard running about trying to shift the Wolves defence but with no one ready to strike when on the few occasions he was successful in turning defenders.

Fear motivated us last night, that must have come from the management, if not Ole then who? Wolves were totally predictable in the way they play and they are good at it, we needed to get about them with speed and intensity, failed on both counts. A lot of thinking for Ole to do over the international break!
  31. Mar 17, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

We had no striker to bring on with Lukaku out injured.

The players returned are still not matchfit imho
  32. Mar 17, 2019

Ashley R1+O New Member

The squad isn't built properly from a fundamental standpoint. It goes beyond the actual XI we can trot out on match day. I mean, take Martial for an example who was just signed to a mega bucks contract and we don't even know what his best position is.

We've still got wingers at fullback, 10's playing deep in midfield, strikers playing as wingers and midfielders playing up front. The thing is a mess that needs a legitimate sift in the off season. There is no hierarchy of leadership in the playing group at all.
  33. Mar 17, 2019

Yeah it's definitely a combination of factors, and sooner or later we were going to hit a rough patch, but now it's about doing what we need to get back on track. The likes of Moyes, LVG and even Mourinho had a tendancy to over tinker and create more problems at times like this, rather than just go back to what worked before, and the tinkering has been creeping in again.

It's not a major sticking point at the moment, I just don't think it's helping us. We should be concentrating on whether we can outplay the opposition before we start putting that to one side to try and out think them instead.

I think it's to try and keep width in our play, which it does, but then it's weighed up against basically all of what you just said. Plus the fact having width is a bit pointless if there is no one at all in the middle.

He definitely hasn't been playing in exactly the same position. Since the Chelsea game he has practically been a left winger. Before that he was picking the ball up in the middle third and had freedom to roam and contribute to the attack. Against Bournemouth for example he scored by making a run in from the right. Against Huddersfield he got two goals from picking the ball up in the centre of the pitch. You wont see him doing that at the moment because he spends the whole game glued to the left side of the pitch. It's also noticable that when Matic/Mctominay have been picking up the ball they have no midfield team mate within 40 yards of them, which again was definitely not happening prior to us changing the system.

- The forwards can do this and they can also come short to receive the ball or pick up the ball deeper. They can also win the ball high up the pitch which has resulted in us scoring in quite a lot of games....except last night for example they were not even pressing the ball, which can only have been under instruction.
    - This is just not true. Rashford and Lingard have very good movement and Martial's isn't "rubbish". Someone always comes out with this whenever we don't win. It's nonsense
    - The defence do pass the ball from the back. It becomes more difficult when only one of our four midfielders is actually in midfield for them to pass to.
    - Matic is very slow on the ball and always has been. Not sure what this has to do with anything.
    - Not even sure what this means
    - We don't really press in midfield though? Our front three press and usually Pogba moves up with them. Once the ball goes into midfield we drop back into a defensive shape..at least that's what was happening until we changed the system.
    - It is hard for the fullbacks to get their combination with the wingers right when it's not even clear who our wingers are. Last night for example Shaw, Pogba and Martial were all playing on the left wing. It was causing us more confusion than it was Wolves. When you have no clear shape or direction this is the sort of thing that tends to happen. Again if it was down solely to the players it would happen in every single game.

The problem here as well is that none of these points for example, explain why playing Bailly at fullback isn't a daft idea. Or why changing nothing for 85 minutes in a game where we are clearly second best is the right thing to do.

Most players are inconsistent. Most of them were poor last night, but they've also shown a lot of character lately and played well in a lot of games. This isn't about acting like everything is going down the pan and finding someone to blame. It's assessing whether the way we are setting up in games is giving us the best chance.

Whenever we lose a game some people on here are very quick to conclude that it's because our players are all useless or their attitude stinks. It's an odd conclusion to come to just after they've battled through an injury crisis showing more character than we've seen from a United team in a long time. The attitude seems fine to me, the reliability seems fine...it has to be taken with both hands here that saying I think the tactics are wrong is hand in hand with me also thinking Ole is doing an awful lot right to be getting the performances we have seen so far.

I'm not blaming Ole and there's no doubt there's an element of this involved, but that's not why I started this thread. SAF was the greatest manager of all time and even under him we at times seemed to persist with some ridiculous ideas which ultimately did nothing other than make things harder than they needed to be (Smith the midfielder, Roy Keane the centreback, Jones and SMalling at fullback, etc.).

Wolves are a counter attacking team. They spent large parts of the game with a back five, which was a surprise to no one. Even when their fullbacks go forward, they have three centrebacks, and sitting midfielders, so trying to expose them in behind was never going to work. I spent the game trying to figure out what it was we were actually trying to do and then after a while becoming more and more confused as to why we hadn't tried to start doing something else.

Do you not think there is a reason why players are playing the ball sideways instead of forwards? We had two years of this under LVG, the master of self confusing tactical set ups. It's not as simple as it just being because they players couldn't be arsed to try and play properly.

Yeah pretty much what I'm trying to say.

It's very easy to blame the players when we lose or have a few poor results. The problem is, it's very difficult to control whether a player has a good or bad game, so it's a bit pointless to assess other than by acknowledging one way or the other. What you can do is give the players the best chance of getting a result, by playing them to their strengths, and that's what I'm not really sure we're doing and what we need to learn how to do.

THe PSG game is the best example. When you look at the difference before and after we moved Bailly from right back. Nothing to do with how well the team was playing but it made an absolutely massive difference to our performance, and in all likelyhood the result. If your tactical set up exposes weaknesses rather than emphasising strengths, then your players are spending the game battling against that as well as the opposition.

I think it's a similar scnario with this diamond midfield. It hampers Pogba, it hampers the forwards, it hampers all of the midfielders actually, and what the benefit of it is exactly I'm not sure. It doesn't play to any of our strengths and seems to create confusion amongst our own players.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  34. Mar 17, 2019

ZupZup Full Member

Yes, they are a counter attacking team... but that does not mean they are not exposed to the counter attack themselves. What do you think happens when they counter attack and lose the ball? It happened multiple times against us but we failed to capatalise and that’s not because the opportunity was not there. They play with a back 5 when they don’t have the ball and when they do, the full backs push high and the centre backs split.

They do still have the two sitting midfielders so I wouldn’t say they didn’t have protection against our counter, but you talk like it wasn’t even possible which is ridiculous.

There was even a counter at the start of the second half very similar to Rashford’s goal against Spurs... the difference this time was that instead of scoring, the defender was very quick across and Rashford put the shot wide of the near post.

We played poorly because we didn’t move the ball quickly enough and were a bit too conservative with our passing and didn’t make enough runs off the ball to hurt Wolves. If you asked Ole to explain what went wrong then he would say exactly the same... and I reckon he knows a thing or two.
  35. Mar 17, 2019

I'm sure he knows a thing or two but he still thought it was a good idea to play Eric Bailly at right back and he still thinks a diamond formation which leaves us horribly exposed in midfield, despite us having 4 midfielders in the team, isn't a flawed set up. I also don't think that saying he knows a thing or two then just claiming he would agree with you, somehow proves you are right. I imagine it's very difficult to get things right all the time. I've already said this but Ferguson was the best manager of all time, yet still made some very bizarre tactical errors. He certainly knows a thing or two but I doubt he'd convince you that a central midfield of Rafael and Park Ji Sung, while Carrick and ANderson sit on the bench, was actually a good idea.

I'm not sure why it is difficult to understand the difference between playing a team like Spurs, and a team like Wolves. A team like Spurs press the ball in the opposition half, their fullbacks are pushed forward as attacking options in preperation for winning the ball. Their midfield pushes up onto the opposition. Playing the ball in behind their fullbacks is a very useful tactic if you have the players to provide the service, the players to run in behind and can set up your team to do so. Wolves sit off the ball and invite you onto them. Their fullbacks go forwards on the counter attack, at which point they will still have a back three and at least one, usually two midfielders behind the ball. Using a system designed to expose them in behind is going to be nowhere near as effective. They're not the sort of team where you're going to have joy by not playing with a centre forward...unless maybe you replace Lingard with Messi.

We were getting the ball into wide positions fairly easily. The problem was once there, a Wolves player would always be in the way and there was no United player in the middle to pick out or cross the ball to, which is why we'd invaraibly just end up going back the other way and then back out wide again, and partly why our play seemed so slow and lacking direction...because we were set up to exploit spaces that were never going to be there. You point to one barely half chance we had. Against Spurs we had probably 7-8 of those in the first half alone. Against Leicester, who play a similar way to Wolves, we had virtually the same team, but Rashford was up top and Pogba was more central, and we pressed them in their half to force errors and attacked through the middle. Even when we've used the system from last night well against Spurs and Arsenal, our forward line pressed them trying to force errors. We sat off once we were in front. There was an effective gameplan.

Last night we were not pressing Wolves at all, so we were never going to win the ball in areas where we could expose them with quick counter balls, and we were never going to get in behind them by standing off them and letting them come forwards and backwarda at their own pace. Whatever our gameplan was it clearly wasn't working...and to be honest that's fair enough but what created the issue for me is that for 85 minutes we didn't try to do anything different, which suggests our coaching staff were happy with what was going on. It's easy to say that it's because the players didn't try hard enough or all randomly had rubbish games, but that doesn't really make much sense if you try and pretend it tells the whole story.

It doesn't take a genius for example to work out that you wont get the best from Paul Pogba if he's spending 90% of his time in wide positions where he can't be a goal threat and has no one ahead of him to pass the ball to. It didn't take a genius to watch the game last night and conclude, fairly early on, that whatever we were doing wasn't working very well.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  36. Mar 17, 2019

Edgar Allan Pillow Ero-Sennin

Doing the same mistakes Fergie did. An open and expansive game is not always the right answer. He needs to teach players how to play a possession battle....how to take advantage of having the ball. He needs to learn himself to get the team more cagily.

You don't need completely new tactics, but it needs to be adapted to the opposition. Something he fails to adapt...esp in Europe.

Lots of hope for him though.
  37. Mar 19, 2019

cyril C Full Member

So this is not about silly tactics. When the squad is thin we had to do magic. When the squad is more or less return, someone make a wrong decision to trust the returnee knowing they were not fully fit. He could have trusted McTom, Fred and played Perreira as winger until the 70th min initially in the Arsenal game, just gradually ease Martial/Matic/Herrera/Lingard back. It is all hindsight theory but the coach definitely need to learn his lesson.
  38. Mar 19, 2019

Charles Miller Full Member

Can't blame the tactics 100% but if we will say that the quality of the players is the main problem, it could be true against top sides but not against Wolves. If we make a combined XI before the game only one player from Wolves would make it.
  39. Threadmark: Wolves 2:1 Man Utd
    Apr 2, 2019

Whole lot of other problems tonight but the persistence with this diamond formation is extremely frustrating.

When you are playing a system which requires 4 midfielders in the line up but where none of your players actually play in midfield it should be a clear indicator that you've got it wrong.

It's alarming. Playing midfielders in midfield is pretty basic and important stuff. Not doing it automatically turns every game into a struggle before a ball is even kicked.
  40. Apr 2, 2019

Sylar Full Member

The tactics were great until we shot ourselves in the foot

We should have been 3 up and their goal came from a mis controll under no pressure