Are we a better team with Alexis?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by manunited1919, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Feb 11, 2018

manunited1919 Full Member

This is not preseason, and putting Alexis Sanchez straight into the team has thrown the balance of the team off. Sanchez has shown quality, and is playing well, but something is not working between him and midfield. JM is doing a terrible job at integrating him, it seems almost forcing him into the left hand side.
  2. Feb 11, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

We should be. He should be playing on the right, even if he's not as good there. He was very good for Barca there, and definitely better than Martial is on the right. It's the most balanced we can be right now IMO.

3 man midfield, front 3 of Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez, it sounds simple to me. Take away some defensive responsibility from Pogba, because he just doesn't do it, let Martial do what he does best and let Sanchez buzz about all over the place.
  3. Feb 11, 2018

thejtrain Full Member

What balance did we have before he was thrown in? Play Rashford there and we wouldn't have been any better today.

Of course Sanchez makes every team on the planet slightly better at the very least.
  4. Feb 11, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

Yes, he’s our best player.
  5. Feb 11, 2018

settembrini Full Member

We are clearly not a better team with him on the left instead of Martial. In fact we look a worse team.

Maybe if he was played on the right wing or as a #10 we would look better.
  6. Feb 11, 2018

spiriticon Full Member

I think he should be playing on the right too.

What Jose has done is to shift everyone else out of position, so Alexis can play on the left. Now we have Alexis who's doing alright and the rest of the team looking like they are playing with each other for the first time.
  7. Feb 11, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

So far, no.
  8. Feb 11, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

I'd be very worried if we aren't because he's the best player the club has now that's he's here, and it's not like he's a Pogba who needs to be set up in a specific way to play well.

So if we're not, something is seriously fecking wrong.
  9. Feb 11, 2018

SS Full Member

Not with Martial on the right.
  10. Feb 11, 2018

Heinzesight Full Member

Just put Martial back on the left. We were flying with him there.
  11. Feb 11, 2018

engulfing Full Member

He clearly was the best player on the pitch. We don't really have the balance right yet and the players need to learn how to play together but that will take a few matches.
  12. Feb 11, 2018

L1nk Full Member

No. Because we don't seem to play as a team, is he a better player individually than someone else we'd have on the pitch? Yes, but would you say our attacking unit as a team has improved overall since he arrived? Because it sure looks the same to me
  13. Feb 11, 2018

Gbenger New Member

No, he has been good but he certainly has not improved us. Don't worry, you are not the only who noticed it.

Our attack and results have gotten worse actually.
  14. Feb 11, 2018

vanderpants New Member

I feel sorry for the lad, wonder if hes having second thoughts. definitely better with him in the team, just a pity our other players are crap
  15. Feb 11, 2018

Toddler New Member

So far definitely no, but that's prob just because there is something collectively wrong with this team at the moment. I would play him on the right or in the middle with martial on the left. With three midfielders.
  16. Feb 11, 2018

Moonwalker Full Member

Too early to tell, obviously.

Players need time to settle and adjust to the team, just as the team needs time to adjust to them. It's a crying shame it can't always be instantaneous, isn't it?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  17. Feb 11, 2018

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

Not better, but not worse.

He's only had a few games, though. Time will tell. If we get the right balance, then having a world class player in our team should improve us, of course.
  18. Feb 11, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

So much Martial talk when Alexis is mentioned now. He wasn't exactly doing much for our play on the left most of the time either.

We aren't good at attacking as a team, at all. Our good forwards don't get chance to do much because of that.
  19. Feb 11, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Definitely no. It i always the same shit, relying on individual brilliance rather cleverly integrating players.
    No player alone improves the team if the manager is clueless
  20. Feb 11, 2018

AshRK Full Member

Problem is not Sanchez but the fact that Jose is forcing other attackers to accommodate to his strength's. Sanchez is a floater and he will do well in any of the forward position but our other attackers don't have that capabilities. So the problem is Jose and not Sanchez.
  21. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

What? :lol:

He's one of our best players already.
  22. Feb 11, 2018

JustAFan The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers

An evil little city in the NE United States
    No
  23. Feb 11, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

I honestly think we could sign Messi and we wouldn't be much better. As a team, and I put great emphasis on the word team here, we are appalling. Individual brilliance will win you a few games, but to win the big trophies you need a great team. Signings alone aren't going to change it.
  24. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Terrible post. You feel sorry for him playing for Manchester united?

Hang your head in shame.
  25. Feb 11, 2018

Bruce Wayne New Member

Since it was a swap deal, are we better with Sanchez or Mkhitaryan going forward? I would take AS7 every time.

In the few games he played with us, he was always one of the best players on the pitch. Do you really need to question his contribution? He doesn't solve all of our problems but he plays some part of the solution.
  26. Feb 11, 2018

Bastian Full Member

He's our best player but we haven't figured out how to utilise him effectively without neutralising Martial. It will take some time.
  27. Feb 11, 2018

Snafu17 Full Member

Our balance definitely collapsed a bit, but it always takes time for someone to settle in. He should be moved to the right though. Otherwise it just doesn't make any sense.
  28. Feb 11, 2018

Amadaeus Ooh, rock me!

Supports:
    Mauricio Pochettino
    The chemistry in our team seems off. It seems like we are just bunch of expensive individuals put on the pitch and told to play football together without any understanding of how each other plays.

Martial is being shoehorned on the right, Lukaku seems like a floater and Pogba is playing like he rather have all the attention on him on the pitch rather than Sanchez. Sanchez has definitely been our best player, but the other players around him are not stepping up and contributing enough to our attacking play. So, at the moment we are not a better team with Sanchez, but that is only because we have not found the right players to play with him.
  29. Feb 11, 2018

SpyLuke10 Full Member

I said before we signed him, if the plan was to play him on the left and push Martial out on the right then I'd rather have not signed him, our attack has looked far worse since we signed him, the balance seems totally gone and the threat of Martial is diminished significantly with him out on the right. Also Sanchez seems so wasteful, which doesn't quite fit in with the rest of our attackers, who create less chances for themselves but are far more efficient, and also don't halt the flow of our attack like Sanchez seems to.

Honestly I would have rather gotten Mahrez, hes not as good as Sanchez but he'd be a much better fit for us imo given he prefers to play on the right side, also hes a few years younger than Sanchez, only questionable thing about Mahrez is his attitude, the way his level dropped after the Leicester title winning season. Given we'd be better balanced with him if you offered me the chance to swap them right now (Sanchez for Mahrez) I'd take it personally.

And please don't call me fickle, I already was thinking this before we signed Sanchez, unfortunately today's game only confirmed my worries and concerns.
  30. Feb 11, 2018

Without the benefit of preseason, putting such a dynamic player into the team was always going to cause disruption. JM had several choices: left, right, 10, or striker, he has elected the most disruptive option for the team, but least disruptive for Alexis. Perhaps JM is trying to get him into his best position as quickly as possible, regardless of consequences, with a view of becoming CL contenders this season.
  31. Feb 11, 2018

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Not as yet, we’re still just top 4 candidates. Nothing has changed yet.
  32. Feb 11, 2018

arthurka Full Member

Taking a in form Martial from his position to put Sanchez there was wrong so i will answer this no ..
  33. Feb 11, 2018

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

We are not a better team with Sanchez at the moment, which is not his fault as he has been our best player since coming in. It does though seem to have effected are rhythm & play. It also seems to have affected some of his teammates, such as our world class hero, who seems to have been in a slump since his arrival, not that he was a world beater before, & poor today, & according to his manager not injured. He has also been yanked of now in his last two starts, which is very unlike Mourinho, who always persists with his star players, however well they play. Sanchez seems to be the favourite now, which I have the impression might not be popular throughout the side, & wonder if Pogba being upset about his wages are true.
  34. Feb 11, 2018

I agree he is a great player and showing his quality already. The issue is that as a team we aren’t better with him because he disrupts our team balance.
  35. Feb 11, 2018

Judas Open to offers

We're even more unbalanced. There's just something off with this team, we're void of tactics and everything seems unorganised.
  36. Feb 11, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

We are in a bad run of form (L-W-L) so far. Regardless of whether it is the team or the manager, results will pick up soon. Then we will see, give Alexis time.
  37. Feb 11, 2018

Jazz Full Member

He's playing well and I love his mentality. However, it's strange to say this but our attack doesn't look better with him there. I don't know if it's a case of where the manager is playing him or what. Just seems like he's upset the balance a bit.
    Jesse seems to have lost his mojo as well, or maybe he feels inferior as he tends to look more for Sanchez to pass to instead of just playing with his customary freedom.

So I would say at this moment, we're actually looking worse:(
  38. Feb 11, 2018

WelshManc Full Member

He definitely looks a class above anyone else in the team, which is quite sad to think, we are Manchester United, most of our players should be on par at least, with him.
  39. Feb 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

He's a January signing. He will need time to integrate. He's quality and of course we are better with him as he gives us double what Miki used to.
  40. Feb 11, 2018

lococol Banned

No, because everyone else seems to have slacked off since his arrival.