Are we a dirty team?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Mar 15, 2017

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's

I would not have said Stam or Vidic were even remotely dirty players. Tough and strong for sure but dirty? Nah.
  2. Mar 15, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Yeah, agreed. The dirtiest players are often not the usual hard men.

Ruud was a dirty beggar IMO. Scholes too. Similarly, Bergkamp and Van Persie at Arsenal would have been far dirtier than Vieira or Adams.
  3. Mar 15, 2017

predator Full Member

Objectively yes. Ibra is a very dirty footballer and Fellaini isn't far behind. Then you have the likes of Rojo, Herrera, Rooney and maybe Pogba.
  4. Mar 15, 2017

Jaxdan Full Member

Which is one of the biggest problems with the game nowadays. Instead of running through a light touch and getting on with it, it comes down to acting and fooling a ref. And we end up talking more about those actions, than the actual play of the game.
  5. Mar 15, 2017

Smores Full Member

Genuinely never even passed my mind in recent seasons that we're a dirty team so find those stats suprising.

Smalling doesn't suprise me though. As long as our players aren't genuinely spoiling the play or going out to hurt someone i dont have a problem.
  6. Mar 15, 2017

3KDré Full Member

Not dirty enough, and when we are some people don't like it for some reason.

Chelsea won the title two years back, and they were dirty. Against Chelsea we played dirty in the first 30 minutes and it was a great match, had Herrera not gone off I think the whole game could have been different- perhaps we would have scored.

Real Madrid are dirty as hell when they need to be, and they're current CL holders. Atletico are also very dirty when needed. The list goes on.
  7. Mar 15, 2017

17 teams in the league committed more fouls/game than Chelsea that season.
  8. Mar 15, 2017

togg Full Member

Not sure why it is...I'm not a tactician or someone that boasts an understanding of what a manager seems to be instructing his players to do individually based on what is seen, but are we closing down on players faster or closer? Does that increase the chances of mistiming tackles? Or am I talking bollocks.....
  9. Mar 15, 2017

Oo0AahCantona Full Member

You need some Bite, and we have plenty of it. we aren't a stoke of years gone past though.
  10. Mar 15, 2017

Maccataq Full Member

Just a theory but we've not been taking our chances or we have struggled to break down teams and that inevitably leads to the ball being turned over more often so we have to commit fouls to prevent counter attacks. I am a little surprised by the stats as I don't see us as a dirty team and perhaps we commit more petulant fouls.

Also, is Rojo untouchable? 2 double-footed lunges and a stamp and he's not really been punished for any of them!
  11. Mar 15, 2017

3KDré Full Member

Really? Wow I guess I had that part completely wrong. But point still stands, you've got to be dirty when it's needed.
  12. Mar 15, 2017

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Our players are bigger than others. Zlatan and Pogba are getting fouls called against them which they don't get themselves because they don't go down as easily. Pogba is also fouled a lot of times where he just shrugs the guy off and it's play on. These stats don't show when the ref give advantage.
  13. Mar 15, 2017

SteveW Full Member

Fouls per game? He didn't play that much
  14. Mar 15, 2017

Total number of fouls, believe it or not.
  15. Mar 15, 2017

MoskvaRed Full Member

Unless you have an abnormally set of gifted footballers, most winning sides need "a bit of mongrel". United just need to play a bit smarter - it was great to see Rojo going toe to toe with a thug like Costa, not so good to see Herrera being brainless or (on another day) Fellaini's flailing elbow.
  16. Mar 15, 2017

2cents Full Member

Hard to take this team seriously as 'dirty' when I grew up watching Hughes, Cantona, Keane, Ince, Schmeichel, etc.
  17. Mar 15, 2017

Fitchett Full Member

Fellaini hasn't had a booking since the match at Everton on 4th December.
  18. Mar 15, 2017

Giggs86 Full Member

Yep. A bunch of virgin Mary's we got now compared to that lot.

Not only us though. Seems like the dirty winning at all costs attitude has really declined nowadays.

As much as I dislike Suarez I really can respect the lengths he's willing to go for winning a match.
  19. Mar 15, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

I think we get penalised for the most minor fouls. I will use our last game as an example - Herrera 2 minor fouls, 2 yellow cards.
    I would say that Hazard is a dirty player - he dives and tries his best to get players sent off. Do remember that this dirty play is expected from a top team. For example Neymar and Suarez are amongst the best in the World, when it comes to diving. And lets not forget about what Costa does, for CFC. He is arguably the dirtiest player in the league and he also happens to be integral to the league leaders.

IMO, we need to be smarter, when we foul. And also need to be dirtier...like Hazard.
  20. Mar 15, 2017

Borden Full Member

No. Refs just hate us.
  21. Mar 15, 2017

predator Full Member

I'm a qualitative analyst of football.
  22. Mar 15, 2017

Fitchett Full Member

Not disagreeing with you mate. Just stating a fact to show how random some of the card issuing has been this season. Even De Gea has picked up a yellow card since then!
  23. Mar 15, 2017

wolvored Full Member

There should be retrospective action for diving or play acting. Remember Demichales and Sideshow Bob in his first stint at Chelsea
  24. Mar 15, 2017

illReD Banned

I'd rather us be known as a dirty team than a team who allows their players to be carried off the bloody pitch.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  25. Mar 15, 2017

ManUchosenbosslvg Banned

Supports:
    Manchester reds
    Rojo and Ander should prob have another 2 or 3 red cards each but strangely enough I think Ander has been unlucky with both that he did get, the slip and obviously at Chelsea.
  26. Mar 15, 2017

predator Full Member

Haha I was just making a shitty tongue in cheek remark pal. I do think Fellaini is a dirty player overall though. Him and Ibra imo are those type of players where if they play for your club you'll like them but if not then you don't.

Tbh I've seen Fellaini do some awful stuff in his career but at United he seems to have calmed down a bit.
  27. Mar 20, 2017

Speaking of Fellaini calming down, the stats are actually quite dramatic.

In 702 minutes up to the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park in December, Fellaini conceded 20 fouls and was booked six times in the league.

In 288 league minutes since, Fellaini has conceded just five fouls and not been booked in any of his last 21 matches in all competitions.
  28. Mar 20, 2017

RedFish Full Member

The ends justify the means...I'm fine with that. We're in a dog fight for top 4, no time for playing nice guys. There's a limit of course but I think we're ok.
  29. Mar 20, 2017

SirScholes Full Member

I think we are a desperate team not a dirty one, players panic and make rash tackles
  30. Mar 20, 2017

Arbitrium Full Member

We aren't a dirty team, it's just that we have the players who can hold their own when other teams mix it up.

I remember reading Keanes book that teams like Coventry would play like Real Madrid when it came to facing united as we were (and still are) the major scalp In the premiership. Teams raise their game against us and one way that manifests itself is through aggression, coupled with the fact we have some players who have pretty fiery attitudes I can see why it might look like we can be dirty, but the truth is it's reactionary and the teams goal first and foremost is to play football the right way.

It's nice to know we can give it back though, couldn't say that even in SAF later years.
  31. Mar 20, 2017

Polite Poster Banned

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Yes
  32. Mar 20, 2017

Redondo_Pirri Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Any team managed by Jose is. Look what he turned Madrid/Chelsea/Inter into for reference.
  33. Mar 21, 2017

ti vu Full Member

We spent the last 2 seasons under LVG trying to get horny every game... That's quite dirty... :wenger:
  34. Mar 21, 2017

noodlehair "It's like..."

Stam wasn't that dirty but Vidic definitely was. Sent off three times in a row against Liverpool. Twice against you I think. Even in what was basically a friendly at the World Club Cup for elbowing some random player while they were laying on the floor.

He also liked to get tight to people then just foul them if they managed to turn him, or generally in any situation where he thought there was danger if he let the play go on.

Still a fantastic defender at his best...just not afraid to be cynical when he had to be...or occasionally just get sent off for the hell of it.
  35. Mar 21, 2017

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Mourhino is manager? CHECK

Fellani plays in team? CHECK

So far, so dirty.
  36. Mar 21, 2017

Handsome Devil Full Member

I am very shocked....I thought we'd be 6th.
  37. Mar 21, 2017

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

We are now a combative team who are not going to let other teams push us about like in the previous two seasons. Nobody was moaning when some of our players were putting themselves about under Fergie. It made teams wary of us. We got away from that. It is coming back. Long may it last.
  38. Mar 21, 2017

MadMike Full Member

I'd like us even more dirty. Filthy, even... yeah :devil:

Would love a Roy Keane in our midfield and he was as dirty as they come. Pogba needs to up his game, he's not throwing himself about anywhere near as much as he should for a fella of his size. He should try to be a Patrick Vieira with same bite but more flair.
  39. Mar 21, 2017

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    I'm surprised by the stats as I never think of United as a dirty team, and I still don't tbh.
    Herrera aside of course, the knob.

Swansea are generally one of the cleaner asides according to the stats over the last few seasons, not sure if that's a good thing tbh.
  40. Mar 21, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Your team is just big and strong, much like Real Madrid. You dominate most physical encounters with your opponents and you're a huge threat on set pieces.