Are you optimistic about the new season?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Lemansky, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Jul 10, 2018

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Dreading it in a way. Still on a World Cup wave so riding that as long as I can to be honest.

The transfer window thus far has been shambolic (shock). At this point I just don't see who we bring in that will give us the dramatic improvement that we need to be able to catch City. Therefore I think anyone expecting us to be challenging City next season has the blinkers on a bit. I can see Jose leaving by Xmas if i'm being honest. Don't want to sound like a downer but there just isn't alot to be excited about. If I see the defence of Young, Valencia, Jones and Smalling on the opening day I think that will tip me over the edge.
  2. Jul 10, 2018

RedNed77 Full Member

I think we'll be closer to 1st than last year as I cant see city replicating last years points tally but, we haven't done enough to address obvious weaknesses in the squad (so far) for us to seriously challenge. Given the business the scousers have done we may finish closer to 1st than before in terms of points but may end up with a worse league position.
  3. Jul 10, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

Couldn’t care less. So not optimistic or pessimistic.
  4. Jul 10, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Miserable cnuts.

I'm optimistic that Sanchez will deliver and he and Lukaku will really hit the goals. If that happens and the middle trio of Pogba, Fred and Matic gels, I think we will have a great season.
  5. Jul 10, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

How dramatic and precious are you!

Jesus :lol:

The day you dread watching your club you need to give football a break.
  6. Jul 10, 2018

FootyGirl88 Full Member

This is true - Mata and Rojo were given extensions and both were poor last season.
  7. Jul 10, 2018

Drz Full Member

Any reason for optimism for me hinges on how well Carrick and McKenna do. It is what I'm looking forward to, more football less checkers.
  8. Jul 10, 2018

DRM New Member

Supports:
    SteveJ
    Not really. Will elaborate later, at work now.
  9. Jul 10, 2018

Dolf Full Member

Chelsea and Liverpool will perform better in the league this season I think, which makes it even harder for us to finish 2nd. We really need Sanchez and Pogba to step up
  10. Jul 10, 2018

Burrow FM Experiment God Scout

I’m very excited, but I fear it’s because I might over-estimate how much impact McKenna will have on our attacking play. We have good players, but the last half of the season was kind of boring..
  11. Jul 10, 2018

Oneunited26 Full Member

If we looking at finishing top 4 yeah we be fine, winning the league different animal completely. What has been a problem with United? The style of football is too slow, certain positions are still not strengthened, and the teams identity, what is it? We need a RB, CB, LB, CM and RW for me needs strengthening, the team is only has good as it’s weakest link, Valencia smalling, young and matic playing week after week with no right sided player signed, and failure to get the best out of pogba, it’s going to repeat of last year which the board will be happy with and that’s the problem.

United will be a totally different animal if we upgrade those 5 positions, until the the manager sees and identifies these positions has our weakest link, we are always going to come up short. I don’t want some brainless big name signing that gets the fans excited without logically improving us, yet we still seeing Valencia, smalling, young, matic and using lingard or mata on the right. While fred is an exciting signing that upgrades our attacking midfield play, but beyond pogba and Fred, its still not strong enough.
  12. Jul 10, 2018

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

It's not being miserable. It's being realistic but it could all change with doing great business in the market. I agree on Sanchez and Lukaku but our width is awful. It's the worst it's ever been since being a United supporter. If Pogbas got the ball, I wouldn't bank on our full backs doing much so you rely on wingers and we don't really have any that can go both ways or attack the by line etc...so it asks more of our forwards who should be in the box or around the area.
  13. Jul 10, 2018

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

People need to get out of the mindset transfers will save us.

Think of the money we've spent in the last 5 years, the big name players we've brought in. And it's not helped has it?

I'll get excited when we start to look like a good team, playing with a clear identity. Until then we can buy who we want, it's not going to make much difference.
  14. Jul 10, 2018

I can do what I want to do thanks, don't need your advice.

Obviously you need an explanation of what I meant, and I have just sat down with a coffee so i'll give you it. What I meant in 'dreading it' is that I have a horrible feeling this will be a disaster season, and I haven't ever had this feeling before. We were miles away from City in the league, not good enough in the CL and we haven't really improved. Add the fact the football is horrible and you can't help but feel that underneath the surface Mourinho isn't happy with the board, and vice versa. So put that into a melting pot and that isn't a good recipe heading into a new season.

Of course, you can look from the glass half full point of view and think that another year in to the Mourinho reign things will suddenly turn around and the football will be great. But if there is anything we have learned since Fergie, It's that crossing your fingers and hoping for the best generally doesn't work.

So yeah, sorry i'm not the most optimistic right now, but I feel I have good reason for that.
  15. Jul 10, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

sadly I'm not

all the ingredients are there but had my fingers burnt too many times lately with blind faith

2013: sure Moyes is an inexperienced manager with a god awful record in big games. Fergie picked him though so it will be great I'm sure. He's managing a team that just walked the title.

2015: Not a great season under Van Gaal but Depay is going to be great with Rooney. We've sorted fullbacks with Shaw and Darmian and Bastian will run the midfield with Schneiderlein -

2016: Sure Mourinho has been an utter wanker but he is a winner. This is the job he cried about missing and I think he wants to settle and build a legacy. I don't think he will want a repeat of Chelsea/Mad rid with him falling out with players. Yes he is pragmatic but he's come to United, he will play fast attacking football!

2018: let's have a reality check everyone - Jose has had more than enough to spend, the quality of the football became progressively more pish the longer the season went on, he's fallen out with half the top players in the team at one point or another, he's constantly pissed off and the players aren't performing for him - we are relying on him to get his hands on a Bale - someone who can win a game single handedly because it's not like he can organise/coach a cohesive attacking unit.

why would any of this drastically change? Leopards don't change their spots. Reckon we will finish 3rd - think we might start brightly again, we will drop points, his mood will drop and he will attack the players prompting a another drop in form - if anyone can convince me any different go for it
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  16. Jul 10, 2018

pcaming Full Member

Not really. We still have a manager that is out of touch and we still don't even have a team that he can be out of touch with to the best of his abilities.
  17. Jul 10, 2018

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

I just want some exciting football really.
  18. Jul 10, 2018

JK-27 New Member

I was optimistic until I saw the new home kit. We've generally played shite when we've had bad kits, and this new one is one of the worst.
  19. Jul 10, 2018

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    The sucking the joy out of a bouncy castle made me laugh.
  20. Jul 10, 2018

Stacks Full Member

different managers, team mates and tactical set ups. virtually all attacking players under perform at our club. don't see this changing
  21. Jul 10, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Aha. Weirdly had bouncy castles on my mind because I got the kids an inflatable waterslide for the summer. Currently gathering dust (literally) due to hosepipe ban.
  22. Jul 10, 2018

marlowe78 Full Member

It's going to be interesting if those guys come back and are struggling with us again. You wonder if those players, after a good World Cup, will starting getting fed up and want shot of the man in charge (outside of Lukaku perhaps, who seems to like him).

That's why I think the McKenna and Carrick hires could be massive for Mourinho, if he's genuinely open to a change in how he does things. Changing players will not really do anything for us if the game plan stays the same.
  23. Jul 10, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

I am very confident that we'll end up top 4 next season. We might even end up winning a major European trophy if we get knocked out of the CL early and end up in the Europa league
  24. Jul 10, 2018

SirAnderson Full Member

Really want to just know what's going on in our managers mind...That's what's getting to me most.
  25. Jul 10, 2018

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

How has this window been shambolic? We bought 2 players before the World Cup started - both of whom should improve weak areas - and have no idea who the other targets are. And it's not as if every other club has been hoovering up the best talent (as that never/rarely happens during tournaments).

What have I missed?
  26. Jul 10, 2018

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Generally, yes, I think our squad has growing talents in it.
  27. Jul 10, 2018

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

How come you feel like that?

Genuine question, as I feel a bit more apathetic toward united than usual - wondering if it's me or if there's a feeling that other fans have too.
  28. Jul 10, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

Probably because the World Cup is on and we are a dreadful team to watch.
  29. Jul 10, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Not at all, I feel really confident heading into the new season. All of our players have performed admirably for their national teams at the world cup (those that were given the opportunity to do so) which is only a positive thing for United, as most of them will bring that good form home with them

There is still plenty of time for Jose to make key acquisitions to the squad. I'm expecting a lot of activity once the world cup is done and dusted. So, yeah, I'm feeling well up for the new season.
  30. Jul 10, 2018

Kag Full Member

Ah, the criticism of the club and our chief executive begins. No doubt fuelled by reports of Ronaldo signing for Juventus. Shambolic indeed...

Oh, but we just need a CB, LB, CM, RW and then we'll be good to go.

Honestly, just feck off and take up tiddlywinks. I don't know why some you lot get so caught up with who we sign even though it's unbearably apparent that it isn't a case of just buying these players and all ends hunky dory.

How the club can be getting stick for its transfer business so far is beyond me.
  31. Jul 10, 2018

Hamadovich86 Full Member

Not at all. First time i'm actually dreading the season before it starts. When you finish second in a season the expectation for the next season is to win it, add to the fact that this is Manchester United and the expectation is even greater.

But looking at the squad and the manager, I cant help but feel very pessimistic. Feels like the club is heading towards an implosion with Mourinho getting sacked midway through the season and spending yet another few years rebuilding. Could be wrong and Mourinho manages to turn things around but I just cant see it happening.
  32. Jul 10, 2018

Robertd0803 Full Member

No because we havent strengthened enough. Citys squad was pretty sorted as it was and they will probably get Mahrez and Jorghino.

Liverpool may actually have some sort of clue of what they are doing.

So no not really optimistic right now. Too many of our players had rubbish spells last season for one reason or another and if that happens again without stronger depth we will be shagged.
  33. Jul 10, 2018

TMDaines Full Member

At least the World Cup has reaffirmed my thoughts that our playes are underperforming and that we do have a good squad. Maybe a settled summer might help, but with many away at the World Cup, it may be difficult to have a coherent pre-season.
  34. Jul 10, 2018

Mister_Stubbs Full Member

No.
  35. Jul 10, 2018

Dalot has been signed as a squad player and won't be starting, so he is a project. Plus he is a young lad so may take him more time to settle. Fred will be a good signing but hardly the difference between where we were and where we aspire to be. It's been a shambles because we haven't really improved in what was a pivotal window for the Jose Mourinho reign. Is that down to the board penny pinching? Pilib de Brun, who has connections to the club said that is the case. Whether that is true or not we will see, but right away that seems to be the case.

So that being said, Realistically the best case scenario is we bring another 2 in, probably defenders. Is that really going to bridge the gap? I don't think so.
  36. Jul 10, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

We need to be turning some of those draws into wins, Sanchez hopefully will be more effective this season and hoping for more goals from the rest of the team. We rely too much on Lukaku when others need to chip in as well.
  37. Jul 10, 2018

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.

Ive never heard it before so if you made it up then its getting used by me. Its a class saying.
  38. Jul 10, 2018

wolvored Full Member

And me. Really hope they persuade Mourinho to be a bit more adventurous
  39. Jul 11, 2018

Beachryan More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

Look forward to January when our new manager gets this squad performing!

In all honesty can't complain, the World Cup has been f*cking brilliant, I've completely forgotten our football after Christmas. And preseason soon! That's always fun.
  40. Jul 11, 2018

oz insomniac New Member

Looks like we have fallen behind the usual suspects again with delays etc in signing targets

That seems to be an issue with that area and Woody, a club of our size always seems to try to negotiate even the correct looking release fees down, the targets that should be signed appear to be beyond our budget looking at the comments on the clubs negotiating methods. As before, with the revenue and income that is generated it seems strange that targets aren't completed reasonably quickly. Citeh have signed Mahrez as he was their target and signed, the club needs to get much more competitive in this area, otherwise it fails to overcome the gap and 2nd to 4th seems an achievement as we look up to clubs that really don't have our resources.

Certainly want to be proved wrong with some attractive signings over the next 2 weeks, or else it's a possible repeat or worse than last season.