Arsenal 2018/19

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Adisa, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Dec 2, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

They’ve had more than a simple change of manager. They completely restructured their backroom/recruitment staff, and started to get rid of Wenger’s coterie of yes men even before he’d left.
  2. Dec 2, 2018

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

I did word it simply, but most managers bring a new backroom staff with them right?

From what we hear, United are restructuring behind the scenes aren't they?
  3. Dec 2, 2018

John_Jensen Full Member

Think he's referring to Raul Sanllehi being brought in basically as DOF and Sven Miselentat as Head of Recruitment(among others) before Chirstmas last year, 6 months before Wenger was to leave.
  4. Dec 2, 2018

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

So we're still far off a turnaround then
  5. Dec 2, 2018

Grinner Fat gutted, hairy shouldered, stinky Arse. Staff

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Give it a month and you'll have us winning the thing.
  6. Dec 2, 2018

BrianMcClair'sBarnet Full Member

[​IMG]
  7. Dec 2, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Meh, they beat us 2-0 at the Emirates last season too.

Our big game away record is dreadful. I expect like last season we will beat them at home though.

Tha said, there's obviously an improvement at the club. They're finally getting the best out of that attacking talent.
  8. Dec 2, 2018

Giant Midget Aka - rooney_10119

We’ve been hearing about this mysterious restructuring for about 3 years. It’s the same as that mythical “value in the market” bullshit we heard a few seasons ago. It’s not happening, Ed doesn’t want to give up being hands-on in the football side.
  9. Dec 2, 2018

C'est Moi Cantona Full Member

I can't help but feel happy for them, our games against them in the early-mid noughties were the best I can remember, and I loved it when they just played the same way every time latterly under Wenger even though it so clearly wasn't working.

I'll probably hate them soon, but nice to see them moving on so quickly.
  10. Dec 2, 2018

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

By 8:13 on Wednesday I'd imagine.
  11. Dec 2, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

You got my question though right - Do you still think he wouldn't improve our starting XI?
  12. Dec 2, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

I was. Thanks for filling in the details!
    ’Fraid so. How long has the DoF thread been going?
  13. Dec 2, 2018

ketoth New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Huge performance and result today. We will celebrate winning the North London Derby like winning the world cup because we can.

We're not cuckoos though. We're in transition and our defence is still crap but Emery has us moving forwards.
  14. Dec 3, 2018

montpelier Full Member

Seems a bit more fire in the belly somehow.

Formidable attacking options, Aubameyang is absolute top class, imo. His temperament rumoured to be a bit dodgy is it?
  15. Dec 3, 2018

Needham Full Member

In the PL matchday thread feckers were practically salivating over Arsenals resurgence. I was quietly hoping Spurs -a known quantity- caned them. Another of the top 6 establishing a quantum leap in development over Utd is not what we need right now. Unless you're a footballing masochist, yesterday was very bad news.
  16. Dec 3, 2018

Ooh2B New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    One of the biggest takeaways for me today was the tenacity and fight shown in order to come back from a loosing position and win it comfortably.

It might be all a bit “meh” for Spurs fans, but anyone watching that game sat up a little straighter today.

I’m not going to declare us back in business just yet because that defence scares the shizn out of me at times, albeit Leno is looking good, and a lot of other pieces seem to be clicking into place. A good xfer window next summer will hopefully help fill in the gaps..
  17. Dec 3, 2018

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester Utd
    Awesome, funny stalking!! :lol:

And I wish Arsenal could win the League, considering the other options.
  18. Dec 3, 2018

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

If I were them, I'd splash cash on a new top CB. Mustafi is meh.
  19. Dec 3, 2018

Pires_7 Banned

Supports:
    Arsenal
    We still got koscielny coming back, even though 33 he's still our best defender.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2018
  20. Dec 3, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

At the moment Glenn Murray would be an improvement over Lukaku
  21. Dec 3, 2018

awop New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Defense has to be this summer's plan. There was word of Tagliafico for the LB spot but i really want to see what Sven is going to conjure up for the CB position.
    I was completely against Sokratis but he turned out to be pretty good and i'm glad he's here ! I don't think we will have a massive amount to invest again : probably under 90/100m. THere is also strong rumours about Cengiz Under from Roma but he would cost a lot.
  22. Dec 3, 2018

Harry190 Full Member

Ever since the game against Chelsea, you knew they were on the up. Still don't understand how they did not win that one. Never seen so many sitters missed.

And doing well with Holding at the back, which to me is crazy since he is a below-par CB. They're much better than us. Not sure how some peeps thought we'd be fighting against them for 5th place.
  23. Dec 6, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    We're in some trouble now that Holding will be out for a long spell. Hoping that Koscielny can play is not the answer. Emery needs to buy at least two defenders pretty sharpish.
  24. Dec 6, 2018

NieThePiet New Member

Supports:
    Werder Bremen, Arsenal
    Monreal played many games as LCB under Wenger. Could see him there too for Emery.
  25. Dec 6, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Again, not a long-term solution.
  26. Dec 6, 2018

Jacckk1985 New Member

Ain't that young Greece dude back from injury also?
  27. Dec 6, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    @Grinner Where is Monreal? I watched your last two games and didnt see him. That lb you got on a free is a good player and that kid in CM with the stupid haircut is an outstanding talent.
  28. Dec 6, 2018

NieThePiet New Member

Supports:
    Werder Bremen, Arsenal
    Injured too. But looks like he started to train again before the United game.
  29. Dec 6, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    CBs have been our problem for years now. It's hard to find a good one and they are really expensive.
  30. Dec 6, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    We have one called Bailly. You can take him in January being as Mourinho doesnt rate him
  31. Dec 8, 2018

ketoth New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    3 players booked for diving. Is that a record?
  32. Dec 8, 2018

awop New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Holding out for the season, Sokratis suspended, Mustafi injured and suspended.
    Southampton away with Liechesteiner / Monreal / Koscielny in a back 3 is going to be scary, they all lack minutes, let's hope we can grind a win and don't lose anyone else.
  33. Dec 8, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal

and yet none of them as spectacular as Rashford today.
  34. Dec 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

He didn't even dive, he collided in the follow through and the ref decided to give a second yellow for a clean tackle. The ref also gave a penalty for a clean tackle by Herrera. The ref in our game was horrible the whole 90 minutes, kept on getting decisions wrong for both teams.
  35. Dec 8, 2018

JSArsenal Full Member

It would be a huge mistake to play a back 3 now with so many central defenders out injured. Especially since we would have to use our back up fullbacks to do so. What exactly would happen if Liechsteiner got injured playing every week at CB? Would Bellerin have to play every game during the Christmas period? Only for him to break down and get injured as well? The solution isn't to try to keep on playing a back 3 when we don't have the personnel for it, but to go back to a back 4.

Bellerin-Koscielny-Pleguezelo/Monreal-Kolasinac for Southampton and then rotate as needed once Sokratis comes back

If Kolasinac can't play in a back 4 then he needs to be sold in January because we don't have enough defenders to play 3 at the back for the entire season. He isn't good enough for us to change our entire formation just to accommodate him.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  36. Dec 13, 2018 at 15:19

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Would any Arsenal fans get rid of Ozil & keep Ramsey instead? Ramsey has seen really up for it in the big games lately, has 3 years on Ozil, is more suited to the #8 than Ozil, is on lot lower wages than Ozil... Oh, and he complain about his back :D

'twas just something I thought about. Instead of keeping Ozil & use Ramsey's freed up wages to go after one player, why not keep Ramsey & use Ozil's freed up wages to go after two?
  37. Dec 13, 2018 at 15:51

Elite Intelligence New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I rather get rid of both for decent amount of cash and replace them with younger players with more upside. Ozil can def leave though, one of the most overrated players in football
  38. Dec 13, 2018 at 16:07

espnluk New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Would any? Well yes, the answer is that many would. I'm not 100% sure what I would myself, it's a tricky situation. Emery does not seem to favor Ramsey/see where he can fit in his system. Xhaka is, whether you like it or not, essential to our midfield being functional, while Torreira is undroppable. Then again Özil has probably had his weakest season yet so far. We do not know for sure what wages Ramsey wanted, but since we withdrew the contract offer once Emery was hired it can only mean that Gazidis and Wenger valued Ramsey more than the new regime.

If I had to choose one of them to keep, I'd probably keep Ramsey. The thing with Özil is that as a pure number 10 he removes a lot of flexibility from our lineups. He doesn't work out wide, while Ramsey can play both as a CAM, a CM and even as a defensive winger Özil on top of his game is clearly the better player, but I'm not sure that happens often enough for it to outweigh his weaknesses.. Ramsey's biggest problem is the Gerrard syndrome that English players seem to suffer from, namely that they all think adding goals to their game is the most important aspect of being a midfielder.
  39. Dec 13, 2018 at 17:48

jeff gurr New Member

Supports:
    Leicester City
    In my mind, CB is the most important position on the team and are notoriously hard to find. You are right about good ones being expensive and the trick is to buy young and develop as you did with Holding
  40. Dec 14, 2018 at 01:13

cesc's_mullet Get a haircut Hippy!

Supports:
    Hawthorn Football Club
    Unfortunately he's out for a long time, and who knows how he will cope when he returns. He was looking promising though which makes it that much worse to lose him.

Hopefully our other Greek Adonis gets back soon and continues in the form he finished last season in.

Sokratis has really exceeded all expectations this season and is turning out too be a great signing, but we are thin at CB - especially if Emery continues too play 3 CB's. We are relying on Mustafi (who has played to a higher standard than last season), Sokratis (our best CB), Koscielny (just returned of a potential career-ending injury), Mavraponis (young and inexperienced, and still injured) and Monreal (obviously not his preferred position).

If Sokratis goes down or even cops a ban, which is coming, then we are in struggle town.