Athletic Bilbao vs Manchester United

Discussion in 'Matchday Forum (closed)' started by Erics_Collar, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012

Colin129 Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Surely Wolves are much less daunting opposition than Bilbao?
  2. Mar 12, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Wolves are going to do their usual game raising routine and run their socks off against us. Similar to what Bilbao are going to do as well to be fair. We'll need to be fresh for both games so SAF is going to have to juggle things around well. If we go with our strongest team both games there's a chance we might look jaded against Wolves. If we were still in the CL I reckon SAF would have gambled on the West Brom game and played our strongest team midweek. Now it makes sense to gamble on the Bilbao game.
  3. Mar 12, 2012

wr8_utd :'(

I'd rest Rooney, Rio and Carrick for the far more important match at the weekend. Berbatov Hernandez up front should be decent.
  4. Mar 12, 2012

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    Reflects how I'd want to keep as many first teamers away from the team as possible...

It also gives Tom and Ando minutes along with the youngster chomping at the bit for a first team appearance.
  5. Mar 12, 2012

I'd be tempted to put 3 in the centre of midfield after what happened at ours...

I'd like to see Evra, Rooney, Rio, Carrick and possibly Jones rested along with Young.
  6. Mar 12, 2012

wr8_utd :'(

We always tend to struggle vs Wolves actually
  7. Mar 12, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Pretty sure Andersons injured. Coming up with a midfield 3 would be quite the struggle if we want to rest Scholes, Carrick and Jones. Cleverly, Giggs and?
  8. Mar 12, 2012

Pogba wants a game ;)

Didn't know Ando was injured again...he came on against Bilbao last week.

I suppose I just see Wolves away on Sunday as much more pressing.

They were dire last year and beat us last year.
  9. Mar 12, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Not sure Jones needs to be rested. Him, Smalling and Rafael can rotate at right back for the run-in.

If we're coming up with a long list of players that we really don't want getting injured in a mickey mouse cup competition, I'd wrap Evans in cotton wool long before Jones.
  10. Mar 12, 2012

There's a case for Evans yeah.

I've been really impressed watching him. So pleased we're watching him playing with confidence and concentration again.
  11. Mar 12, 2012

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

But I frankly couldn't care less about beating Bilbao relative to having City hosting Chelsea and visiting Stoke 4 points behind.

If we beat Wolves we could quite conceivably end up 2 ahead with a game in hand by the time we play our next game.

If we don't they'll reclaim top spot against Chelsea and brush Stoke aside to leave us chasing again.

That's how important I think it is.
  12. Mar 12, 2012

It's more freshness than injuries that I'm considering.

Rest critical oldies: Rio and Scholes (particularly Scholes for an away game)

Rest key players who are overworked: Evra

Rest key players who are overworked and we can't afford to get injured: Rooney, Carrick and Young so long as Valencia is not back. Not sure what Welbeck's status is.

Evans would be here as well but Rio and Evra probably need the rest more, can't chalk everyone off.

Can we still beat Bilbao with what is leftover? Maybe not. So what?
  13. Mar 12, 2012

Hellboy Full Member

Play the kids please.
  14. Mar 12, 2012

Colin129 Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    I tell you what, why don't we just not turn up then?

They, frankly, humiliated us at home so we are going to go there with an understrength side & get gang raped?

How do you think that will help the moral in the dressing room for the run in?

I just can't see SAF bowing meekly out of the Europa Cup.
  15. Mar 12, 2012

--------------DeGea
    Rafael--Smalling---Evans---Fabio
    -----Ando----Jones---Cleverley
    Nani-------Chicharito--------Giggs

Shouldn't get gang-raped at all.

I would like to see Berbatov get some playing time though but you probably wouldn't start with him to keep a stronger midfield.
  16. Mar 12, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    Reading this thread you'd think this is our first time we're participating in a European competition, along with a tight title race. If the players can't handle 2 important games in 3 days something is wrong.
  17. Mar 12, 2012

#07 Full Member

This.

Pretty sure we got through three Champions League finals in the past five years and won the major of league titles in that time playing Wednesday and Saturday so I can't see why it'd be an issue to play basically the same team Thursday and Sunday.

We should go to Bilbao to win. If Rooney scores again it'll only increase his confidence and keep his hot streak up. Just look how much better a player Young has been since he started scoring against Ajax in the Europa League? It never hurts to win.
  18. Mar 12, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Fixed that for you and yes, it is indeed the first time.
  19. Mar 12, 2012

:lol:
  20. Mar 12, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

I appreciate all these arguments against playing a weak side.

Then I think of 'Title Number 20' and 'Legendary United Title Comeback Over City' and the scales of judgement are tipped to the extreme.
  21. Mar 12, 2012

adexkola American Arse

:lol:

Well yeah, but I don't think 9 changes are necessary to give our players some rest. Winning away to Bilbao can't hurt our title chase. If we really don't care about this competition, play the reserves then.
  22. Mar 12, 2012

Antisocial Full Member

:lol: Eloquently edited good Sir :smirk:
  23. Mar 12, 2012

adexkola American Arse

So I checked the tables, and Wolves are second from bottom.

I would be disappointed if we rested players at a difficult away game at Bilbao because we were playing Wolves in 3 days ffs. Listen to yourselves, and man up you timid cnuts
  24. Mar 12, 2012

Unam333 Full Member

Nah, rather we give our first teamers some rest. Can't risk injuries imo. Possibly start Valencia so he can get his match fitness back and then take him off. Scoring 2 and keeping a clean sheet away against Athletic is pretty darn difficult.
  25. Mar 12, 2012

adexkola American Arse

We'll get injuries for the rest of the season, regardless of what competitions we're in. Look at Anderson, out for the rest of the season without kicking a ball

Like I said earlier, the thought of City winning the league has driven everyone insane
  26. Mar 12, 2012

Antisocial Full Member

Except of course they were bottom of the table when we went there last season and we were undefeated - which didn't end too well for us.

We have to give Wolves full respect (and indeed every other team in our "straight-forward" run-in) and hit them with both barrels. The fear of getting another battering from Bilboa would be the only reason for me not resting the full proposed Wolves starting 11.

Disrespectful to the Europa League yes, but gambling the league doesn't seem worth it for me - though I freely admit to having been spoiled by success these last 20 years.
  27. Mar 12, 2012

adexkola American Arse

I just want us to put reasonable teams out in every match we play, that gives us a very good chance of beating the opposition. And playing Jones and Park in midfield doesn't count as reasonable
  28. Mar 12, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Does anyone think we will go through? I think we will play a similar squad to last week, and win 2-1 with Athletic Club scoring late. I really hope not.
  29. Mar 12, 2012

Which may well happen even at full strength, if it then costs us the Wolves game I would be really fecked off.

Screw it, no point throwing the kitchen sink at them so we may as well just go for a team that may knick it but will in all likelihood just play out an elimination without getting battered.

--------------DeGea
    Rafael--Smalling---Evans---Fabio
    ----Pogba----Jones---Cleverley
    Nani-------Chicharito--------Giggs

Subs: Amos, Valencia, Berbatov, Park, Carrick, Scholes, Rooney (the last three in case they are worth playing in the last 20mins or so)
  30. Mar 12, 2012

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

:lol: Best opening post I've seen in a while!
  31. Mar 12, 2012

My balls.

It's a consolation cup. Nothing else.
  32. Mar 12, 2012

Man-United Full Member

I would hope Fergie still plays Young now when he's playing better again, he still needs as much playing time as possible.

De Gea in goal of course, would have Rafael back as right back, probably Smalling-Evans in the centre or Smalling-Jones if Evans needs a rest and Fabio left back.

Not really sure of the midfield but hopefully Anderson-Cleverley if they are both fit and ready to start. Park-Young as wingers. Save Giggs to have him to play some part in the Wolves game, we lost there last year and should have his experience for that.

Berbatov and Hernandez up front.

Not sure Fergie will play a weaker side, but hope he does. I would not rule us out anyway.
  33. Mar 12, 2012

Man-United Full Member

I would hope Fergie still plays Young now when he's playing better again, he still needs as much playing time as possible.

De Gea in goal of course, would have Rafael back as right back, probably Smalling-Evans in the centre or Smalling-Jones if Evans needs a rest and Fabio left back.

Not really sure of the midfield but hopefully Anderson-Cleverley if they are both fit and ready to start. Park-Young as wingers. Save Giggs to have him to play some part in the Wolves game, we lost there last year and should have his experience for that.

Berbatov and Hernandez up front.

Not sure Fergie will play a weaker side, but hope he does. I would not rule us out anyway.
  34. Mar 12, 2012

Apparently Ando is out for the rest of the season. More of a reason to give Pogba a start and see what he can do in a game with everything to play for.

Would rather give Valencia a rounout to regain fitness and keep the more in-form wing man fresh for Sunday.
  35. Mar 12, 2012

Devil may care Full Member

I didn't think the Wolves game was this weekend because of the cup ties, ugh. I guess Fergie will have to drop some of our main players for this game which is a shame, I'd like for us to win this cup despite how some feel about it.
  36. Mar 12, 2012

Jaap Full Member

2-0 will do.

By the way, Bilbao's last home loss was on the 27th November last year against Granada.
  37. Mar 12, 2012

Skywarden Full Member

I do hope to see Tony V.
  38. Mar 12, 2012

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    :lol: have just seen the thread
  39. Mar 12, 2012

KGBhoy Full Member

This thread is why I love the caf! Fantastic work!
  40. Mar 12, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

Who we plan to play at Wolves will dictate who we can play against Bilbao.

Jones Evans Rio Evra
    Carrick Scholes
    Young Rooney Giggs
    Welbeck

Jones played 270 minutes in the last 8 days, I can see him getting a rest, Scholes and Rio should definitely rest, and Carrick and Evra may benefit from one as well.

Nani may be back in time, but if not we have to have Giggs ready to play 90 minutes, so I wouldn't risk him either. That leaves us very light in midfield, even if we play Jones he's not a player we can expect to win a game in midfield for us yet. Hopefully we can play Cleverley or Anderson, but if not, do we play Pogba and Park? That does seem like a potential problem.

We gave a lot of important games to Gibson, CL semifinals, so it doesn't seem insulting to give Pogba a start in the Europa League, especially when it's because of injuries. I'd just hope Cleverley or Anderson is fit to play with him. While i like Park as a winger and as an attacking midfielder, as a central midfielder he's awkward.