Atmosphere today

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by heightmassive, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011

Scrumpet There are no words

I see. There isn't much hope for him then.
  2. Mar 15, 2011

Utd heap Full Member

3,000 or so making the effort in ST2 doesn't make OT's general atmosphere any more defendable - you get sections like that at most grounds.

Half the time and more it's just as dead as the rest of the Prem grounds.
  3. Mar 15, 2011

Richter Hairy big footed Swede

Just spoke with my mate that is a Liverpool fan, he went to the United-Arsenal match and he said it was among the best atmosphere he has experienced at OT, he has been a dozen times over the years.
  4. Mar 15, 2011

Utd heap Full Member

:confused:
  5. Mar 15, 2011

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    Uh oh...this will end well...
  6. Mar 16, 2011

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

Atmosphere was good last night I thought, despite some of the gimps sat around me, how did it sound on telly?
  7. Mar 16, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

The French made more noise than our fans to be fair.
  8. Mar 16, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    During the minute's silence, maybe.
  9. Mar 16, 2011

towcester_red Full Member

North Stand was pretty dire again last night...

Fairplay to the Marseille fans I thought they were brilliant
  10. Mar 16, 2011

They were actually quite disrespectful during the silence.
  11. Mar 16, 2011

RedSky At Night Matt Smith's sinister twin

They sounded excellent on sky two tbh. The crowd in general seemed pretty quiet and nervous. Apart from the occassional United chant.
  12. Mar 16, 2011

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

The French were a right shower of twats, couldn't keep quite during the silence and chucking stuff off tier 2 onto our fans below.

We were just to the side of the East stand and even though the French were just above us I thought our lot made a decent noise.
  13. Mar 16, 2011

Neo_Mufc Full Member

I was in ST1 this time and thought the stretty was great and Marseille were consistent throughout. Regarding the minutes silence I'm pretty sure the majority of French fans were quiet apart from the odd few twats.
  14. Mar 16, 2011

Sir A1ex Full Member

Yes, was just the odd neanderthal exhibitionist shouting out.

What I also find stupid, and a bit annoying, are people on the other side of the ground (eg where I was) who respond to the people shouting out but going "shhhh".
    I mean, how is that going to help? He's not even going to hear you, and you're just going to cause the silence to be disturbed further for people around you. Fair enough if you're next to somebody who makes a noise, tell them to shut up, but how is it your job form 100 metres away?
  15. Mar 16, 2011

MUFCgal Full Member

I was in the upper tier of the Stretford End, and the atmosphere was amazing up there. It was nice to be at a match and be able to stand for the whole 90 mins without getting told to sit down.

Up there, the crowd never stopped clapping or singing, it was great.
  16. Mar 16, 2011

kouroux Full Member

It surely counts for nothing but on TV Marseille fans chants seemed louder and clearer
  17. Mar 16, 2011

I always find it interesting the contrasting opinions after the game, I was sat in the north stand and the whole atmosphere (marseille fans apart) was pretty rubbish last night.

On the way out the ground I even remember saying how quiet the Stretford End was, seemed absolutely dead!!
  18. Mar 16, 2011

Sylar Full Member

Yeah stretty seemed dead from the upper tier in North stand. Our end seemed ok but on the whole it was one of the weirdest atmospheres ive been part of.

It seemed everytime a song started, the ball was given away in a silly situation and the crowd got worried or nervous. It seemed to start going after 1-0 up until they started getting more of the ball. And then between 2-0 and 2-1
  19. Mar 16, 2011

Feeky Magee Autitstic

It does though. For starter's it's more than 3k. I believe the capacity of ST2 is 6.5k, the bulk of whom, barring the extreme sides sometimes, stand and sing for 90 minutes. A common phrase about the OT atmosphere is "75k gloryhunting daytrippers sat on their arses and not making a sound". When in reality we have as much, if not more people singing than anyone else, definitely more when ST1 and K get involved which to be fair they do fairly frequently.

The problems are:

a) The size of the stadium and factions of our support: even with all those making the effort, the stadium is huge and the noise often gets lost, especially with the thousands of more casual fans sitting on their arses.

b) The noise rarely carries over on TV: I've frequently been at OT when I thought the atmosphere was excellent and I watch the rerun and it seems very quiet. Often they mute the microphones if there's risqué songs, or play with the levels to make the away fans seem louder and have it a more two-sided exchange. Can work vice versa too. I know for a fact that ESPN muted the microphones around our away fans at Bloomfield Road, and put loads around the home fans, both because they knew we'd have sweary songs and because they wanted to play up the intimidating atmosphere spiel. They got complaints about this and if you watch a match at BR now you'll hear the away fans a lot more, that's why Chelsea sounded very loud the other week.

c) The roof over the Stretford End holds in a lot of the noise that Tier 2 produces, so much so that you rarely hear it from even K or East Tier 2 apart from the odd song.
  20. Mar 16, 2011

samabachan Banned

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
    Thought the first half hour and last half hour Marseille were excellent, but in between they were quiet.
  21. Feb 23, 2012

Kelvin Banned

shit atmosphere in the 2nd half, ajax fans were very vocal and never stop singing throught-out the whole game.
  22. Feb 23, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

Ajax fans were incredible to be fair. I was in the north stand and I reckon only about a few dozen participated, the rest just sat in silence. South stand wasn't much better. Stretty at least tried. Pretty depressing to hear Ajax fans chanting that our fans are shit and no reply.
  23. Feb 24, 2012

IanDangerously Full Member

Absolutely dour, embarrassed to say I was a part of that tonight. A good 75% of the crowd there tonight have absolutely no right to step inside a football stadium ever again. The United "fans" have let the team down tonight.

After that dreck I'm seriously considering opting out of the home leg vs Bilbao, which is somewhat sad considering I'm going away there the following week. Having stood there watching a bunch of half-and-half scarf wearing, replica shirted, silent, programme waving IDIOTS heaping further shame on the reputation of United fans; I have absolutely no desire to part with £34 again on Monday for the next game, and I might not.
  24. Feb 24, 2012

Leroy The Red Full Member

At least our fans didn't come dressed as empty red seats. Atmosphere was always going to be shit, the competition is beneath us.
  25. Feb 24, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

Come on, it's the Europa League, a competition we've not been in, and we haven't been in its predecessor since 1995. After seeing UCL football year after year, a lot of the hardcore fans won't be prepared to turn up. Of course you'll still get the diehards who won't miss a game, but a lot of the regulars won't have been there.

Looking at the spare tickets when it went on sale was staggering, the Stretty was nearly empty, tonight was a chance for most fans to go who don't get an opportunity.

Ajax fans (Suarez chant aside) were very good tonight, sang all game, and to sing (in our language) your support is fecking shit, I found quite humorous.
  26. Feb 24, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Those who don't attend should never criticise those that do.

That said, the Europa League isn't beneath us, but the attitude of English football to that competition is shocking.
  27. Feb 24, 2012

Nathan Full Member

It seemed pretty dull on television. The only fans who seemed interested were Ajax.
  28. Feb 24, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

Why is it? What is there to get out of it? There's no prestige whatsoever in winning it, there's very, very little money in it, and the only reason an English club is in it, is for failing in the league or UCL, or winning a domestic competition. The big clubs know that securing UCL football is more important, and the smaller clubs know that avoiding relegation, and concentrating on the league is more important.

But your first sentence is true. One of the threads post Blackburn (H) was absolutely appalling, blaming us for the result.
  29. Feb 24, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Moved my reply to the Europa League thread as it had nothing to do with atmospheres.
  30. Feb 24, 2012

Ridiculous comment, you should support the team not the competition. We were and are still in it, support the lads every step of the way. Ajax still supported their team like crazy even at three nil down when they looked certain to be out.

If anything it reflects badly on the club.
  31. Feb 24, 2012

unitedbhoy Full Member

Yes the fans should support the players no matter what, but the players are their to give 100% every game and they didn't. If the players aren't up for it then how the hell are fans going to be?

I don't blame the fans last night. The players should give the supporters something to fecking shout and sing about!
  32. Feb 24, 2012

I disagree unitedbhoy, the fans were shit from the beginning. Deafening silence until we scored, a bit of an eruption but then silence again. We went ahead quickly and therefore had something to sing about. Ajax were down and out but kept going. After that we underperformed but the players were given such little support. It was frankly not good enough
  33. Feb 24, 2012

Leroy The Red Full Member

Whats ridiculous? I didn't say we should abandon the team. I was there also btw.
    But it was pretty obvious last night that fans and players alike were simply there for the sake of being there not anything to do with the Europa lge competition. Can moan all day about the fans but the fact is the players put in less of a shift.
  34. Feb 24, 2012

IanDangerously Full Member

That line right there sums up everything that's wrong with Manchester United's home "support". As fans we should be doing everything we can to cheer the team on and show our love for them regardless of how they're playing. It's not a fecking West End show or a movie, you don't show up, sit there and demand entertainment from the players before reacting to anything.
  35. Feb 24, 2012

Edmeiste Banned

When entertainment becomes self-serving, you can kind of see why people resort to such behavior. It's as if they feel showing up is enough and obviously they expect to be entertained but I think it's even more fun to participate in creating an atmosphere
  36. Feb 24, 2012

It felt like 75% of the home fans were trying to give themselves a sleeping beauty.
  37. Feb 24, 2012

Bread Full Member

If they want a better atmosphere then lower the ticket prices dramatically for games like this, lower league cup opposition and the early champions league rounds.

I say this because speaking as an ST holder it doesn't half leave a sour taste in your mouth to be charged full wack for a game/competition the club itself is not taking seriously. If they want to charge full price then I expect the best possible team out, if they aren't and have no intention of putting that team out then lower the prices and allow less regular match goers to go, this = a generally more excitable person within the ground, a better atmosphere and from the club's point of view more people who have been and may well want to go again.

Being charged the same to watch the reserves lose to palace at home, or not look like they gave a shit against otelul galati as you are charged for Liverpool at home is annoying.
  38. Feb 24, 2012

99 red balloons Full Member

Aye - remember a few years ago they used to reduce the League Cup games by about 40-50% - christ that feels like a long time ago now.
  39. Feb 24, 2012

DDG - First Choice keeper
    Rafael - arguably our best right back
    Jones and Smalling - our best CB combination in the circumstance. Good enough for Sir Alex to shell out a lot of money for.
    Nani - arguably our best player
    Young - big money signing
    Clev - argued by many to be our best midfielder earlier this season
    Hernandez - argued to be our second best strikers by some
    Berbatov - 30 million pound player

Also in the program notes Ferguson said we are in it to win it. You can't really make out like we put out a poor team. Yes the ticket prices are high, but surely that's more reason to go and actually try and enjoy the game than to sit there and tolerate it.
  40. Mar 6, 2013

redflash Full Member

On a more positive note from last night, OT was absolutely rocking. Thats the sort of atmosphere we should be creating everygame, and i was so proud that I was able to be a part of that.

The noise was deafening for most of the game and when SAF asked for more he bloody got it!

My friend who is a madrid fan (1st time at OT) said he had never seen anything like it he could not believe the noise that was made.

Good effort to everyone who was there and if your going to be there on Sunday make sure you bring your voices again, we need that sort of sound and atmosphere creating against the renties it will scare the sh!t out of them!