Ballon d’Or 2017 | Ronaldo wins

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Samid, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    What evens the numbers is scoring 7 international goals vs Latvia, Faroe, New Zealand and Andorra.

Club level is 49 in 54 for Messi and 37 in 45 for Ronaldo. Internationally that last hat-trick saved the year with Argentina for messi (4 goals in 7 games).

Still, they're both down from their usual 1 goal per game ratio.
  2. Dec 4, 2017

Peyroteo ahahahahah feck off dad!

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    If you take the level of the competition into account then Cristiano will come out on top too. Those international goals against easier teams were actually pretty important in Portugal not making the playoffs too.

He has more goals in the Champions League than in the league in 2017. 18 goals in 12 games in the CL. 17 goals in 28 games in the league. It makes no sense.
  3. Dec 4, 2017

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    If we take the level of the competition he would still be at the top just by his insane streak in the last UCL, I'm talking about the raw amount, both of them probably have a lot of goals against cannon fodder at club level, but for me what levels the raw amount in the global comparison are those goals against poor teams.
  4. Dec 4, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Agreed.
  5. Dec 4, 2017

Kinsella New Member

I suppose what I'm saying is that I always felt that his phenomenal goalscoring masked a deficiency in his all-round game as judged by this 'best player in the world' standard. As that goalscoring rate has dropped off this season then the whole package that Ronaldo brings doesn't equate to being the best player in the world, and this isn't anything to do with Messi or his form this season btw.

But...your view is fair enough Peyroteo. I can certainly see the argument for it but the all round ability/contribution of a player means a lot to me also.

Anyway, I'm sure Ronaldo will get back scoring at a good rate again. One also has to take into account that he will be 33 in February and that his Real teammates haven't exactly been stellar this season either.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  6. Dec 4, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    I agree that he definitely hasn't been the best in world this season but people are still exaggerating.

He's still creating more chances than anyone else in a Real Madrid shirt and it's not like the goals have dried up that much, 1 goal every 125 minutes so far this season (compared to Messi's 113 minutes per goal for example) but all it takes is 2 or 3 games where he scores a few and it will go back to normality. Lack of goals has been exaggerated due to Madrid's poor form and people looking at his league stats only. I doubt it will continue for much longer too since he's actually playing well.
  7. Dec 4, 2017

Camara Full Member

Supports:
    FC Porto
    His league season is bad until now, but in the CL he is the best scorer with 8 goals and 1 assist in 5 games (scored in all of them). This is what is making his numbers ok.
    In the league we have the two way problem: are Real suffering from Ronaldo failing to score or is Ronaldo suffering from Real's bad streak?
  8. Dec 4, 2017

Kinsella New Member

They all count but 4 of those goals did come against the awful Apoel Nicosia and 1 one was a penalty against Spurs. That's not intended to nitpick but just to provide more context.

Other players haven't been in great form either so it's unfair to single out Ronaldo. They also had a poor transfer window and let go of players they shouldn't have.
  9. Dec 4, 2017

RedStrudel76 New Member

It's ridiculous Ronaldo can have an awful season so far and we are almost half-way in, yet still win the Ballon d'Or for last season.

10 years of Ronaldo-Messi dominating, 10 whole years.. it is way to long. No shock value in football anymore, predictable, tiresome bollocks with the same teams always dominating, stockpiling and monopolising the best players. Give me the 90s or early 2000s anyday. You had a nice blend of the best players spread around teams more evenly. Even managers like Mourinho at friggin Porto causing massive CL shocks and Rafa Benitez upsetting the status quo at Valencia !

I watch United but the state of football right now is shocking. Too much reliance on Messi-Ronaldo and when they do retire (they will) football will be left with a very gapping whole because football isn't doing a good job of building up and creating new stars. Ask anyone to name the top 10 players in the World under 30 apart from Ronaldo and Messi and they will struggle. Serious questions need to be asked why all these famed football factories and academies are drying up with the money and funding in football!?
  10. Dec 4, 2017

Cal? I always Loyalty CR7

That CL run was so good he'd deserve to win even if he didn't play a single game since then.
  11. Dec 4, 2017

RedStrudel76 New Member

It should be about consistency over the year, not a few matches in the CL. And even as Ronaldo's number 1 fan, even you have to admit he's been dog shite this season (so half of the year he's been rubbish atleast!).
  12. Dec 4, 2017

It's always been about the big games, otherwise Ronaldo would have won in 2007 ahead of Kaka who basically showed up for fewer CL games than Ronaldo this year and won it.

He hasn't been great this half year, but it's more like Aug to Nov, 4 months rather than half year like you made it sound.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Not televised anywhere this year either?
  14. Dec 7, 2017

izec Full Member

Sky sports Germany shows it
  15. Dec 7, 2017

It’s a foregone conclusion
  16. Dec 7, 2017

Righteous Steps Full Member

The award is near meaningless this year, Ronaldo isn't even top 3-5 players in the world currently.
  17. Dec 7, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

18. Dec 7, 2017

Wayne's World Full Member

This will be Ronaldo's last Ballon d'Or. He's been in decline for the past two seasons but now his goals have dried up somewhat, still scoring a decent amount but the standards he once had is now diminishing which is obviously always going to happen when in the twilight of his career.

Can't see Madrid or Portugal winning anything this season so it's surely going to rule him out this season and he'll be close to 34 by the next one. One of the greats though and he was huge in big games for Madrid last year which ultimately ended up with him winning his 5th Ballon d'Or.
  19. Dec 7, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    1. Ronaldo
    2. Messi
    3. Neymar

Over the whole of 2017 I'd swap the first two, but it's really only april - june that counts. Hell, most people use the argument that Ronaldo won the euros, in 2016..
  20. Dec 7, 2017

Righteous Steps Full Member

Messi then everyone else it should be, again can't really seperate the performances of Neymar with someone like Hazard, apart from hype.
  21. Dec 7, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    The best player in the world in 2017 will fairly win it even if people who claim the award is meaningless or irrelevant are upset about it.

Next year's Ballon D'Or will be the most open in ages since it's a World Cup year and he'll definitely have a chance at it given there's no other player in the world as likely to be the difference in the biggest moments.
  22. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

23. Dec 7, 2017

chicha14 Full Member

been in decline in the last 2 seasons where he won back to back CL's? scored nearly 30 CL goals in that time ?
  24. Dec 7, 2017

Bepi Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    it is baffling at least many many fans here prefer alternative realities to individual numbers, team trophies and peer reviewed opinions when awarding the biggest accolades in the industry
  25. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

Indeed.

Either way, to win the Ballon d'Or at the age of almost 33 is quite something.
  26. Dec 7, 2017

Wayne's World Full Member

His overall play has declined. I have watched him throughout his career and he's lost his speed and is running less and less now and isn't contributing as much as he's done. This season it's starting to tell more and more as Madrid are struggling and he's been quite awful in the league and his shooting ratio is down quite considerably from the last few seasons.

I'm not saying this season he doesn't deserve it because I think he was brilliant in the big games last season but I think Madrid are in decline right now which means If Madrid aren't winning, he won't win these individual honours again.
  27. Dec 7, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I agree some people bring up silly arguments, but honestly both sides of this argument can make a strong case. I personally think Messi is a better football player than Ronaldo. This doesn't mean I think it's ridiculous that some prefer Ronaldo. He's an absolute freak and the fact he still is at this age is baffling. He's truly one of the greatest, however for me, Messi is even better.
    In a perfect world the Messi Ronaldo discussion would be an eloquent debate, but hell, who are we kidding.

SCREW YOU RONALDO FUNBOIS!!
  28. Dec 7, 2017

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

29. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

From what I can gather from the France Football website (which suck) they will reveal the whole list between 19:45 and 21:15 CET.
  30. Dec 7, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Far from his biggest fan, but Ronaldo fully deserves it. Won La Liga, decided CL and even this season he scored enough in CL to mask not so good record in Spain.
    It won't be even close.

1. Ronaldo
    2. Messi
    3. Buffon
  31. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

First player to have scored in all six group matches, I believe? It would be nice to see Buffon get 3rd tbh.
  32. Dec 7, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Correct, just read about it this morning.
  33. Dec 7, 2017

Siddharth Sekhar New Member

1. Ronaldo
    2. Messi
    3. Buffon

He deserves it purely on the basis of that insane CL run last season. Probably the best performance in a single CL season, even better than Kaka in '07.
  34. Dec 7, 2017

Trizy Full Member

Fair play to Ronaldo. He'll win this 5th and last Ballon D'or tonight.

Not bad for a player who played in the same era as the GOAT Messi. Two of them firmly cement their place as top 1 and 2 of all time for me.

EDIT: The bold part above - I'm not Messi fan, I actually dislike the cnut and love Ronaldo but it's fair to say Messi is the better overall player.
  35. Dec 7, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

Decline, decline, decline....blah blah blah BS.

It's all I've heard since he turned 30 but everyone says it every year in the hope they can be the smart asses to say told you so. His 'decline' has seen him score more goals individually in the CL in 2017 than the whole of the Barcelona team.

Some decline that.
  36. Dec 7, 2017

Needham Full Member

Relax, its all over. Ronaldo totally mortal now and although the consensus is that Messi is still the best player in the world watch his games and you'll see loads more quiet spells than yesteryear. The stage is open for someone else if that someone turns up.
  37. Dec 7, 2017

whatwha Where's my diarrhea damnit

Bellend'Or.

What time period are the votes based on anyway? The calendar year so far?
  38. Dec 7, 2017

anant Full Member

I'd much rather have the teams that have qualified for CL from the big 5 leagues to nominate a player from their team who lifts the Ballon D'or in case their side wins the CL than this competition where the winner is based on performances in the month of May/June
  39. Dec 7, 2017

Bepi Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    yeah but football is invariably a season-long team effort with the crunch time coming in spring, not the athletics with a chance to run the 100m in 9.00 once in your lifetime from wherever you want anytime... being this RedCafe, I mean De Gea, Pogba, Mourinho and others will have their individual season accolades when United win the league + make a deep CL run + make a deep run with their national team
  40. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

Yes. In reality, last season.