Ballon d’Or 2017 | Ronaldo wins

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Samid, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

Feck you :lol:
  2. Dec 7, 2017

Treble Full Member

If Madrid win the CL for a third time in a row, Ronnie could win it again. If Messi and Ronaldo fail to win the CL and fail to reach the WC final, there will be another winner next year.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Greatest goal scoring machine of all time.

Sad people can’t see that through their hater glasses. And to think Messi won 1 or 2 of those awards when Iniesta was more deserving.
  4. Dec 7, 2017

el3mel Full Member

I'm not saying Ronaldo doesn't has determination, he clearly has loads of it. Since he was young he was always improving himself on every possible occasion to become a complete footballer and when his pace regressed he tweaked his style to remain at the top.

What I don't agree is Messi doesn't have the same determination. He clearly has it.
  5. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

Sorry I forgot you buddy :lol:
  6. Dec 7, 2017

El Jefe Full Member

Well deserved to be honest. It shows an unreal determination to prove oneself as well as ridiculous quality.

I do feel a bit for Messi though because compared to Ronnie he has had absolute junk for managers. Only Tito for a brief and untimely spell and Enrique for their incredible treble season were any good and its debatable if they were even 2nd level managers. Ronaldo has one his with SAF, Mourinho, Ancelotti and Zidane while Messi has mainly won his with Pep so managers play a large role in this.

I guess its similar to Jordan playing under Phil Jackson and Lebron having no one of similar quality to coach him but this is a discussion for a whole different thread.
  7. Dec 7, 2017

Ban Full Member

Fair play and congrats to Ronaldo. He had one hell of a season and deserved it.
    Altho imo it shoould be counted not as a calendar year but a football season cause the winner is mostly determined by the summer. Saying that Ronaldo would deserved it even if it was counted by the season.

With all that I must add that everything about him seem to so artificial, fake and cringeworthy, even this celebration. Kill me but I can't get over that fact.
  8. Dec 7, 2017

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

Nah, Iniesta's an incredible player but Messi's always been the ultimate key to that Barca side.
  9. Dec 7, 2017

Giggs86 Full Member

I bet Ronaldo calls Messi to propose whoever gets the sixth will be the GOAT.
  10. Dec 7, 2017

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Why have the award ceremony in December when the decision is based on last season and summer which was August at the latest. Ronaldo has been pretty none existent this season and Messi is the reason Barcelona are top of the league.
  11. Dec 7, 2017

kotha Full Member

Ah Ronaldo!! :drool:

To think there was a time when people assumed Messi would run away with most of the awards and he has actually managed to equal Messi.. I don't see him winning again,while I think Messi might have a chance next year.. I am hoping it's going to be someone else after that..
  12. Dec 7, 2017

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    People that haven't been watching the games this season and think Cristiano suddenly started declining will be surprised. He's had a run of bad finishing in the league but he looks better physically than he did at the start of last season.

Don't know if he has another one of these in him but I've learned not to doubt Cristiano Ronaldo.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    I don't think winning the award is on Cris/Leo/Ney boots anymore, just their teams

If any of those 3 win the WC doesn't matter what happens, that guy wins the next Ballon d'Or
    If one of them win the UCL without any of the others winning or playing the final of this WC, that guy is going to win it
    If neither of the 3 win UCL or WC, it's probably going to the one that goes further in the WC if they make UCL/WC semifinals.

In the improbable case that neither Barcelona, Real, PSG, Argentina, Portugal or Brazil are able to play a UCL/WC semifinal this year, its going towards the one who reached QFs in both competitions and scored the most goals.

Of course they can be the best players in their team so the award is 100% deserved, but even if they somehow end up as "passengers" on a title run and not being the best player of their team (say Neymar winning the UCL and playing WC semis, but Cavani being the best performer at club level + QF on WC, and Coutinho as the best brazilian in the WC + UCL QF with Liverpool) they would get the trophy anyway, because that's how this is going to work with this generation.

It would take some weird odds to see all those clubs and NT failing at every level and some guy shining in the UCL/WC to surpass them next year, Griezmann/Pogba on a splendid WC win for France? Hazard or KDB with Belgium? Silva/Isco with Spain and City/Real? something like that.
  14. Dec 7, 2017

He clearly has declined a lot though, 2 league goals by December for Ronaldo is unprecidented. He has never had a worse league season goals wise in his career.
  15. Dec 7, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    No.

Messi should have won it in 2013 however.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

He actually looks like that head statue in that photo.
  17. Dec 7, 2017

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Justice for the Ronaldo 1. His run in the latter stages of last years CL was one of the single most remarkable things I have ever seen in football.
  18. Dec 7, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Sorry but I beg to differ. Iniestsa was clearly the master key for Barca during at least 1 of the years when Messi won it and arguably even 2. Hard core Barca supporters generally admit that themselves lol.
  19. Dec 7, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Because the award encompasses players from across the globe in any league (even though players from non-European leagues didn't make the cut this year). Not every league finishes in May-July so easiest to have them at the end of the calendar year.
  20. Dec 7, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    He's obviously declined in comparison to his prime but compared to last season I don't believe he's any worse at all.

2 goals in 10 league games is terrible in isolation but it's obvious the ability to score goals didn't disappear since he's been scoring for fun in Europe. The goals will start coming in the league too.
  21. Dec 7, 2017

Yet he has 9 goals in 6 games in the CL which is kind of incredible. The likes of Cavani, Kane and Neymar are the next closest with 6.
  22. Dec 7, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    At this point I think CR7 just trains harder and looks more forward to the CL. He’s probably bored of dominating La Liga and knows there’s more glory to be had if he can save his energy and use it to make a bigger impact in the CL where he’ll get much more recognition with it being the bigger stage.
  23. Dec 7, 2017

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Hopefully they both end up with 5 each, a stalemate would be fitting.
  24. Dec 7, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

Viva. :D

I didn't even bother following this as he was by far the clear winner this year.
  25. Dec 7, 2017

He has 11 in 16 overall. I’m pretty sure he can get back to 1 goal per game ratio again.
  26. Dec 7, 2017

2mufc0 Full Member

In terms of winning it he hasn't dominated La Liga at all.
  27. Dec 7, 2017

Moby Dick who hates the homeless

Inspiration.
  28. Dec 7, 2017

Yes but for the players considered for the award year after year it is always in one of Europes big leagues. Messi has been better than Ronaldo for the 4 and a half months of this season by far but that obviously hasn’t been considered.

4 of these goals were against Apoel which inflates the stats. I could score against them, never mind Ronaldo.
  29. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

:drool:
  30. Dec 7, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Whatevet floats your boat there bud...

Btw Ronaldo became the first player ever in history to score in every CL group stage match.

vs Spurs home and away
    vs Dortmund home and away
    vs APOEL home and away

...I’m sure you’ll say you could’ve done that too :rolleyes:
  31. Dec 7, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Ronaldo in his age pretty much saves his energy and will probably hit real form in the second part of the season. To write him off, or Real Madrid as a team for that matter would be foolish.

Seen some posts about not minding Real in CL draw. Just send them to mighty Liverpool, please.
  32. Dec 7, 2017

People are crediting him with 9 group stage goals when it isn’t exactly hard to score against Apoel. Real put 9 goals past them in 2 games. If you dont include Apoel he has scored 7 goals in the league and CL combined. 11 if you include Apoel, as good as he once was he is past it now.
  33. Dec 7, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

The next Ballon D'or is for 2018, which hasn't even started yet.

Apoel managed to draw with Dortmund home and away, by no means the worst team in the CL, in fact, there are similar level teams in almost every group.
  34. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

Obviously not, why would it? That has always been the case with the Ballon d'Or.
  35. Dec 7, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

This, I'd much rather we fact Bayern or Juve than Real.
  36. Dec 7, 2017

There are whipping boys in countless CL groups over the years yet only Ronaldo has ever scored 9 in a group stage.
  37. Dec 7, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    :lol:
  38. Dec 7, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    I mean if you go around taking away the goals against the smaller teams then you'd have to do it to everyone. Are Apoel worse than the bottom La Liga teams?
  39. Dec 7, 2017

SirAF Ageist

I love how he makes it sound so easy, just like popping into the store down the street and buy some Pepsi.

"See you in a bit, luv, I'm just going to score in every match day in the UCL group stage. Ta."
  40. Dec 7, 2017

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Probably, equals at best.

Roberto Lago was 2nd division caliber ten years ago, and remained like that most of his career, 2nd division tier or sub for La Liga teams fighting relegation, so unless he improved past 30 I'd say he's actually worse, same we could think about Jesus Rueda, and those 2 are the ones I know from APOEL, obviously I just watch their games vs Spanish teams in UCL, not their league.

Still, is pretty senseless to diminish Ronaldo's record because he played twice against APOEL, Spurs and Dortmund are good teams that count for 4 more games, and almost every top player with at least 6+ UCL seasons has had easy matchups in the group stage.