Ballon d’Or 2017 | Ronaldo wins

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Samid, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017

Traub Full Member

Yeah that is true. I didn't see much of Monaco last year besides for the big champions league games, was he by far the most important player in that Monaco team?
  2. Dec 7, 2017

RedStrudel76 Banned

Ronaldo fans seem to think because Ronaldo has won as many Ballon d'Or's as Messi that automatically makes him better or equal.. nah it doesn't work like that. First of all, it is more about team trophies which are valued. Secondary, ask any football expert, fan (not biased like Man United fans) or player and they will say Messi is this generations best player.. Ronaldo can comfort himself with his Ballon d'Ors but he will never be loved like Messi, and that is what he craves.. you can see it eats him from the inside.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

Home&Away Banned

Ronaldo proved to me ages ago that he is less reliant on his team mates than Messi.

United, Madrid & Portugal all wining historical trophies.

Glad for him.

Really couldn't give an eff who is better though - personally be happy they both just ended it at 5 balon dor's each just as a way of defining the era of both players.
  4. Dec 7, 2017

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers

Sarcasm?
  5. Dec 7, 2017

Home&Away Banned

No man.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Hold on, is it just me?

What happened to 3rd and 2nd?
  7. Dec 7, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Says the sensitive one who had to bring this up lol. Hope that consoled you and makes it easier to sleep at night. Fact of the matter is CR7 won and has as many as Messi and is the greatest goal scoring machine of all time. Ronaldo fans are celebrating and rightfully so while the haters can be as bitter and jealous as they want, won’t change the reality and facts lol.

Btw, Ronaldo has done far more internationally with his not so highly ranked teams than Messi has with the #1 seeded team. Messi has been an international choke artist as evident by his inability to get the job done. Not an attack on him, he’s the best overall player in the game but I hope that doesn’t mean it makes him immune to criticism and more so being able to say something how it is and just calling a spade a spade.
  8. Dec 7, 2017

RedRonaldo Full Member

Despite your “great” opinion, on paper Ronaldo has probably achieved more than Messi over their respective careers.

Individual success - equal
    club success - equal
    international success - Ronaldo
  9. Dec 8, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

Looks like some Messi fans are bitter. What happened to appreciating a fantastic player? I think Messi is the better player, but CR7's goal scoring run in the final stages of the CL makes him deserving of the award.
  10. Dec 8, 2017

Jippy Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes Scout

Five all. Hmm Messi younger and got one or more in him.
  11. Dec 8, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    @ the bolded, in all honesty it’s usually a 1way street from what I’ve ever seen. The times Messi has won the award it’s all Messi is the best Ronaldo not in the same league as him. When Ronaldo wins, it’s Ronaldo won but can’t we just calm down and appreciate both their talents?

Funny how that works and has been the case and still continues to be. The fact Ronaldo caught up to even it at 5-5 considering the deficit he had to make up for speaks volumes of his work ethic and sheer willpower to accomplish whatever he puts his mind to. Incredible really.
  12. Dec 8, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

His run in the CL was legendary, probably the best CL by any player ever, so so decisive in the massive games.
  13. Dec 8, 2017

In Rainbows Full Member

That's crazy talk. Usually Ronaldo fans like to use his "relying on teammates" bit as a plus for Ronaldo because then it means he has better movement off the ball. Messi has easily been the better player on the ball and is less reliant on teammates.
  14. Dec 8, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

imo Madrid are to be credited for all this. They strove so much to catch up to Barca after Pep changed the league and European football that it's allowed their star player to be able to achieve this.
  15. Dec 8, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Banned

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Yep. I mean Messi definitely had the head start in terms of having been with Pep and those early, dominant and historic Barca sides from day1 whereas Ronaldo didn’t have that same environment or certainty/quality of talent and had to wait a number of years until RM could match/catch up.
  16. Dec 8, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

After some criticism that he wasn't scoring enough too. Ronaldo is the strongest player from a psychological POV. Nothing deters him, even short time bad form. He is incredible. Honestly it's when he'll retire (and Messi too) that we might even begin to realize how good they are, with the much weaker players taking the helm after them.
  17. Dec 8, 2017

Subho611 Full Member

Fixed.
  18. Dec 8, 2017

Subho611 Full Member

Agree with the first paragraph. The second one is overtly harsh on Messi. He is a maverick, a once in a generation player and is rightfully revered by fans. His is more of an artist that Ronaldo and is easier on the eye. Ronaldo is an effective machine, not bothering about artistry but the end result.
  19. Dec 8, 2017

XH6 Banned

I think Ronaldo probably deserved it this year for his decisive role in la liga/CL but it feels a bit undeserved for him to win it 2 years in a row without being the best player in the world in either year imo
  20. Dec 8, 2017

TotalFootballOne Banned

The both have equaled benefited from their teammates who don't get enough credit it seems.

Ronaldo played with one of the best United side that won PL title with him a CL and went to a final, but they also went to another final without him, which tells you about how good that team was.

Messi played with a Barcelona side that was on top of this world and that is the reason United don't have 1-2 more CL titles under their belt.

Ronaldo is now apart of the best RM team in their club history or at least one of the best.

Messi eventually won his last one when Barcelona assembled the greatest front 3 MSN (Messi, Suarez and Neymar).

This award itself lost a lot of credibility to me back in 2010.

PS: both great players not taking stabs at them, but some context should be put into this.
  21. Dec 8, 2017

NinjaZombie Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

:lol:

I'm of the opinion that Messi just about shades it because he's a more natural talent but his fan boys are so annoying as can be seen here.

I agree with Fergie though that Ronaldo can do it for any team in the world, be it Doncaster Rovers or Real Madrid. He's a fantastic player, and people will begin to realise that when lesser players win these kind of awards.
  22. Dec 8, 2017

Revan Assumptionman

I think it is a deserved award. He has been the best player in the world during the last season, and the award is given for season despite the latest technically it is a calendar year award.

I think that both him and Messi have one more award than they should have (Sneijdet in 2010 and Ribery in 2013 should have won it, but Fifa ruined it), but it is incredible to see the level of consistency of herself two beasts. It won't be repeated for a long time.
  23. Dec 8, 2017

Micky Targaryen New Member

Things which grinds my gears on the Caf:

1) "We shouldn't sign player X because he is already 28, which only means he only has 2 good years left in him". :houllier::houllier:

2) The Ronaldo vs Messi debate. The constant need to prove whom is better. The Messi fans and Ronaldo fans are equally as annoying. Why can't we just accept that both Ronaldo and Messi have different strengths and weaknesses and just enjoy watching them while they're still playing? :lol: I think Messi is a magician and Ronaldo is a machine and thank God We're alive to witness both.
  24. Dec 8, 2017

Siddharth Sekhar New Member

Every great team's talisman benefits from the players around them. Messi din't exactly play with farmers from 2009-12 ...
  25. Dec 8, 2017

Charlie Foley Full Member

26. Dec 8, 2017

Dr. StrangeHate New Member

I think this is nail on head. If Messi, Neymar or Ronaldo don't score a single goal in the world cup and yet win the tournament the next Ballon-d'or is theirs. The award has become fairly pointless considering individual performances matter much less than team wins.
  27. Dec 8, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Wouldn't say that. Their team was pretty much perfect that season. Lemar, Bernardo, Falcao and Mbappe made a fantastic front four and they miss Bernardo especially.
  28. Dec 8, 2017

Why is Neymar third ?
  29. Dec 8, 2017

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I don't think anyone will ever top it. Staggering numbers from the QF onwards.
  30. Dec 8, 2017

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    He was probably Barca's best player in some of those CL games last year, notably the ones against PSG. His Brazil team comfortably topped their WC group. He's got off to a good start with PSG as the world's most expensive player. It's not a bad basis.

Who do you reckon deserved it?
  31. Dec 8, 2017

Ikon Full Member

All being said and done.....

How fantastic that we can even have this debate between Messi & Ronaldo, two absolutely incredible players.
    Absolutely amazing talents...!!
  32. Dec 8, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

Where’s the list of who voted for who?
  33. Dec 8, 2017

I can only accept what he's done for Brazil tbh. The CL games mean almost nothing considering how Juventus took care of them. What he's doing for PSG isn't impressive, it's expected and at times even disappointing in most of their big games so far.
  34. Dec 8, 2017

Ikon Full Member

The 32-year-old claims he always knew he was different to his piers but it wasn’t until he arrived at Old Trafford that he became aware of his ability when he didn’t feel out of place alongside three of United’s most established stars. ‘Since I was 14, 15 or 16 years old I knew that I was different from other kids,’ Ronaldo said. ‘I did different things. ‘I realized that I was good at Manchester United, when I played with players like Giggs, Keane or Ferdinand. I had talent. ‘The English mentality is different and those people helped me a lot to be what I am now. ‘I have to thank my colleagues in Manchester.’

That boy Ronaldo, always a class act..!
  35. Dec 8, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Memphis has more goals in the league so far I think :p
  36. Dec 8, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

I'm not one of those that holds a static opinion of the two. 3-4 years ago I considered Ronaldo the better player, but with his decline I consider Messi the better player. I'm not one of those that specifically supports one player. If I were to look at their whole careers so far I would not be able to separate the two. In my opinion they are the two greatest players of all time.
  37. Dec 8, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Apparently he told France football: c'est clair: il est devenu le meilleur football jamais vu. "Je suis le meilleur joueur de l'histoire, dans les bons comme dans les mauvais moments."

Meaning I'm the greatest player in history.

Discuss :wenger:
  38. Dec 8, 2017

cyberman Full Member

Kaka is still the last human to win it.
    Its ridiculous
  39. Dec 8, 2017

RedRonaldo Full Member

Any players who managed to get 5 Ballon D’or, during the period of time when Messi, the son of football God, is in his peak years, deserved to be considered as GOAT.
  40. Dec 8, 2017

Ainu Full Member

Messi has put in plenty of excellent performances for Argentina and also helped them to several finals. Just looking at the trophy count doesn't tell the whole story. In the end, both couldn't have done it without their teams while at the same time both lifted their teams to unprecedented levels.