Bayern Munich 1999 team

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Sky1981, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jan 31, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Always overshadowed by our treble. But they're a few minutes away from a treble themselves.

Where do you rate them among the great teams?

If they somehow won that final do you think they'd be remembered more?
  2. Jan 31, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    63rd.

Yes.
  3. Jan 31, 2018

2ndTouch Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Well, they won the thing 2 years later knocking out both Utd and Real on the way. So, they made it into the history books.
    Not the most pleasing side from an aesthetic POV, but it had some very memorable characters like Kahn and Effenberg.
  4. Jan 31, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

Nobody remembers the runner-up, and I'm happy to keep it that way ;)
  5. Jan 31, 2018

Without 1999 we wont be the giant we are today though. Winning a champions league and especially trebel changes history
  6. Jan 31, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

2001 had more star names, Lizarazu and Sagnol for example and likes of Scholl, Hargreaves but they outplayed us in the 1999 final too.
  7. Jan 31, 2018

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Bayern has bottled it in crucial moments too often.

Robben missed penalty in 2012
    Muller missed penalty in 2016
    Vidal missed penalty in 2017
    Meltdown in final minutes of 1999

They could have been close to Real Madrid's tally if they had a bit more bottle.
  8. Jan 31, 2018

2ndTouch Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Liza joined us in 97, Scholl in 94, arguably the 99 side had more stars in it like Matthäus and to a certain extent Basler, who scored the 1-0.
    The '99 side played better football, but the '01 side had an incredible mentality.
  9. Jan 31, 2018

Moonred Full Member

Effenberg was such tough nut. liked him.

And a bit of a dick.
  10. Jan 31, 2018

Exactly the point .That memory is about us winning rather than eulogizing how great a team Bayern may have been. Subtle difference in perspective I suppose.
  11. Jan 31, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Yes, plenty of people do. This isn't Talledega Nights.

Juventus of the late 90s also qualifies.

Imagine linking disparate events to some armchair psychology metric, "bottle".
  12. Jan 31, 2018

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Scholl, basler, effenberg, matthaus, kahn.... great squad
  13. Jan 31, 2018

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Why do people even care about this?
  14. Jan 31, 2018

2ndTouch Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    They won the CL, so they were a great team.
  15. Jan 31, 2018

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    Cold wet wednesday with naught to do?
  16. Jan 31, 2018

Moonred Full Member

Especially when finals are memorable ones like this one.
  17. Jan 31, 2018

Football starts soon.
  18. Jan 31, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

Even if you don't care for that Bayern side, it helps put United's achievements into even greater context when you begin to appreciate the side they beat in the final. United had a very tough run in that CL campaign.
  19. Jan 31, 2018

They were a great team for their own CL success, not for being the protagonist in United's history. If anything had they won the game against us, could you argue that United would have been forgotten? After 99 how many more European finals did we make compared to Bayern until the 08 season?

My point is, that 99 season defined us. It didn't throw that Bayern team into the dark or forgotten or prevent them from being great themselves.
  20. Jan 31, 2018

Kasper Full Member

Supports:
    Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
    You could make a list for Madrid, United, Barcelona, AC Milan just as easily. And including Muller and Vidal missing penalties is really clutching at straws.
  21. Jan 31, 2018

Grande Full Member

Yes, it was an incredibly strong team. On pure sustained quality, I’d say it was better than United’s team around that time. Kuffour also was a beast for a period of time then. Basler an artist. And Carsten Jancker was no pushover either. But United’s 98/99 season was a coming together of all things in a fantastic way that I’ve never experienced before or after. Player wise, I’d say Utd 2006-09 was much better. And that Bayern team was up there around RM of 2000, Milan/Juve mid nineties, Barca 92.
  22. Jan 31, 2018

Number1 Banned Verified Moaner

I think they was a bit overrated to be honest, Inter and Juventus that season who United beat in the quarters and semi's was much stronger on paper.

I'm going by memory here (not Google) but I'm sure United had a chance to put Bayern out at the group stage that season as we already qualified, they needed a win or draw to progress, United put out a weak team and they got the win or draw (can't remember which) and eventually got to the final.

Also people forget United had Scholes/Keane missing in the final.
  23. Jan 31, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

United would have been seen as a bottle job if we'd have lost that. For 80 minutes we played like a team who didnt have it in them. The lack of Scholes and Keane contributed to that, but we should have played much better than we did. In hindsight, you wouldnt swap those 3 minutes for anything, though.

Apart from that horrendous mistake Schmeichel made, we outplayed them at their ground earlier on in the season.
  24. Jan 31, 2018

Apart from the last 3 minutes they're the better team
  25. Jan 31, 2018

TsuWave Full Member

i feel this way about our 06-09 team. what was it, 3 CL finals in 4 years? if it wasn't for arguably the greatest club side of all time (pep's barca) that United team would be remembered as one of the GOATS
  26. Jan 31, 2018

Goku23 New Member

That was really the most frustrating loss to me ever because we would of beaten Inter in the final and we only lost because of an away goal we won the actual match I dunno if i will ever get over it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
  27. Jan 31, 2018

I don't need to do that, I lived through it, it was amazing :drool:
  28. Jan 31, 2018

deafepl Full Member

United also bottled 2009/10 UCL campaign, they were 2nd favourites after Barcelona, Barcelona got knocked out which could give United an advantage to win UCL.

2006/7 semi-final vs Milan and bottled it away in two legs, even though United is a mile ahead of Liverpool at that time and could win.

In the alternative world, assuming Pep's Barcelona didn't exist and two result United didn't bottle it away, could add 5 UCL to United's UCL tally from 2007 to 2011.
  29. Jan 31, 2018

Acrobat7 Full Member

I don’t think they would have won the CL in 2001 and 2013 without those two heartbreaking losses in 1999 and 2012. And calling Bayern bottlers... :lol:
  30. Jan 31, 2018

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

This thread needs more bottle.
  31. Feb 1, 2018

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    A massive, massive dick you mean ^^

Interestingly, having lived it through as well, I think it was fecking awful.
  32. Feb 1, 2018

strongwalker Full Member

Supports:
    FC Bayern München
    i'm wondering about what everyone thought the odds were at that '99 game. I do remember, as a Bayern supporter, that we were the outsiders.
    Bayern had been struggling quite a bit in group phase, starting with a loss against Bröndby. The KO-phase was kind, giving us Kaiserslautern and Kiev, and that HF we just scraped through. The PL wasn't as dominant yet as it was going to be a few years later, but we sort of looked up to the likes of Cole/Yorke, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs as being better than anything in the BuLi.
  33. Feb 1, 2018

led_scholes New Member

We played 3 times against them that season and they never won. They were a really good team but imo Juve, Barca even Inter were better. Take Iniesta and Busquets out of 2009 final and Barca would have struggled against us.
  34. Feb 1, 2018

1Manchester Banned

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Going off topic a little bit, I personally felt that if United had owners that where willing to invest more into the squad (rather than have the Glazers sadly) (1) to give that extra strength in depth during the 2008-2009 Season. You might have won the Champions League (and the FA Cup) that season as well. So United might have added a total of 4 (2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011) European Cups/Champions Leagues to the 3 United have won to date, which would put you on the same number as AC Milan, something which would make made United an even bigger club (in all the various areas) than they are now and put United in a better position Post-Fergie (certainly in a position to win more Premier and Champions Leagues since then). Certainly in a position above both Real and Barcelona that's for sure...

So for me, the "Ronaldo" era of United was one of great sucess for United, but more importantly it is also one where there where many missed opportunities for them to reach even greater levels of sucess during that same time.

(1) I would even go far (as a City fan) to say that if Al Nahyan's have bought United instead of City, United would be in a far, far better position than they are now when it came to their squad.
  35. Feb 1, 2018

Vilev Banned

Actually it was pretty dire team. I mean look at it, they had that Junker guy or whatever his name was up front, hardly a good player. Other players like Sholl, Basler were good, but not really as spectacular as Robben for example. They had Matthaus but he was like really old, beside him they had some german defender and Kuffour again slightly above average players at best.
    So it was a kind of "working-class" team. If you'd remember they actually had a very good draw after a group, the group was tough with us and Barca, but then they were given an easier ride. And just barely defeated Dynamo with Shevchenko. Now that was an impressive team, but unfortunately they did have some like really weak players and they were not that experienced in these games, so they lost but knocked out Real who were holders i think.
    So all in all it was actually pretty average Bayern team. They only had one thing going for them is this immense central duo of Eff and Jeremies.
  36. Feb 1, 2018

deafepl Full Member

if
    I don't think it had something to do with the Glazers, it's just Fergie that doesn't want to spend much money and doesn't want to pay agent fee and insist there's no value in the market. After Fergie retired, with LVG and Jose spending a lot of amounts of money. Qatar offered the Glazers £1.5 billion to purchase United outright. if it had accepted, United would be much stronger in financial with an advantage over City and other all wealthiest club especially give financial revenue power. To be honest, I'd rather let Al Nahyan have brought City instead of United so it can give a competition to United.

I totally agreed that if United invested during 2008-2011 era to keep up with Real Madrid, Chelsea, City, Bayern and Barcelona, they'd be still in stronger position to challenge title and perhaps there'd be less competition in the Premier League as United have won multiples tiles in row, bottled it away in 2011/12 after 8 points ahead of second-placed City with 6 games left and lost league in 2009-10 due to referee making wrong decisions that changed game at Stamford Bridge if I recall. If it wasn't for a referee and not bottle it away, United would win 7 titles in a row and invest during 2008-11 era which mean we won't be in trouble after 2013 and maybe a lot stronger than before.

I didn't get pissed about City dominating the league now but this is really good positive for all other clubs need to step up if they want to do something in Europe and challenge City in the league which EPL is missing before when Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool challanging United defending champions for title from 2007-2013 era. For an example, United's dominance started when Jose's Chelsea arrived in 2004 dominated the league until 2006 which forced United to spend and step up and it helps United dominating the league and UCL at some point. United's decline gave EPL more competition because of the club don't have quality squad to be capable of dominating the league and to retain title, so right now City is looking like they are going to dominate the league and perhaps to retain title for first time in next season since 2009-10, I don't think all other top 6 club would be happy to let City dominating the league longer so they all will need to step up.
  37. Feb 1, 2018

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

Including anything other than a major mistake in a final in such a list strikes me as tenuous. In 2017 and 2016 they'd have still faced incredibly difficult finals had they reached them. If we're going by such measures United fans could point to disappointing losses in 1999/00, 01/02, 03/04 etc which all came either in the semis or well before the final.
  38. Feb 1, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Can randomly recall a few names from that team who were forgotten....Alex Zickler (back up striker to Jancker). Was Elber injured for that final? Given the way the game went think Bayern would've been 2 up if he'd played.

Thorsten Fink and Thomas Linke were defenders, think one of them started the final.

Liked Salihamidzic for his name.

The kit was horrible though.
  39. Feb 1, 2018

Bobski Full Member

Different era. Janker and Zickler up front illustrated the difference between then and now. Talent was spread wider, there was more financial parity, meant you just could not go out and accumulate 14/15 world class players. Most teams had weak links. Utd had a poor defensive unit, Irwin was well past his best years, Neville not yet close to his peak and Johnsen and Berg were journeymen.

Healthier time for the game. Liked Basler, Scholl and Salhimadizic, and Jens Jeremies was the German Gattusso.
  40. Feb 1, 2018

GifLord The gif that keeps on giffing

He got a season ending injury in March vs HSV