BBC: Which title-winning team will go down as the best in Premier League history?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Brinky, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Oct 11, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

In terms of what? for a one off match? for individual player talent? all competitions or just PL?

Personally think the Treble winning side of 99 wins every time even if they aren't your favourite. Only English side to ever do it - they're the best. Also find it amusing that anyone could suggest they weren't as talented as the other sides.

07/08 United comes second. Probably more boring to watch than the 99 side.

City last season for PL performance in isolation.
  2. Oct 11, 2018

BrianMcClair'sBarnet New Member

United 07/08
    Chelsea 04/05
    Arsenal 01/02
    City 17/18
  3. Oct 11, 2018

charlton66 Full Member

Supports:
    Golden State
    Since the OP only gave 1 season options I was assuming (possibly wrongly) that it was the best team for a particular season.
  4. Oct 11, 2018

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

I found one of them!

5. Oct 11, 2018

POF Full Member

I'm talking about the BBC article.

My point is that the mark of a great team is to do it over a number of seasons. Winning one league title does not make a great team.
  6. Oct 11, 2018

SpyLuke10 Full Member

Ranking the top 5 imo:

1. 08 United
    2. 99 United
    3. 18 City
    4. 05 Chelsea
    5. 04 Arsenal
  7. Oct 11, 2018

MrBest Full Member

93/94 United team - broke there duck and were incredible. This kick-started United's dominance.
    97/98 Arsenal team - put Arsenal on the map, first foreign coach to win the league
    98/99 United team - I was 10, remember it like yesterday. Even at 10 i knew it was something special
    03/04 Arsenal team - amazing to have gone the whole season without losing
    04/05 Chelsea team - this was unexpected - Jose basically made other managers stand up. A new team to challenge for the league
    07/08 United team - great attack football, champions league too. A star a was born but then he left
    09/10 Chelsea team - bags of goals, broke the 100 barrier but not extraordinary
    17/18 City team - broke almost every record possible, probably the best attacking football i have seen in the league for a long time. But how much did money play in this?

I went with the treble winners purely on the fact we were the first team to ever reach these heights, overcoming Arsenal from the season before when they overhauled us. Mentally, that was a great achievement. After this, we also went on to dominate the league, 2 after this to make it 3 in a row!

I think if City win the next 2 in a row, a champions league too with the same base of players, I would put that team in the same bracket with the United Treble winners - but not level. Our 07/08 team were amazing, but years to follow saw our dominance start to fumble. United in the 2000's was built on that treble team. Without that, who knows was the subsequent years would of have in stall.

The other teams were great, but just not enough.
  8. Oct 11, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Ask Arsenal fans what they'd prefer - an impressive statistical achievement, or a Champions League trophy
  9. Oct 11, 2018

MrBest Full Member

Are you a politician :D
  10. Oct 11, 2018

BrianMcClair'sBarnet New Member

Not taking anything away from Arsenal's invincible campaign but I always preferred their 01/02 side where the real talent of Henry,Viera,Pires,Bergkhamp,Campbell and ljungberg finally hit some consistency.

It was a key time for Arsenal.All their rivals were using their financial weight,none more so than us with the acquisitions of Ruud Van Nistelrooy,Seba Veron and Laurent Blanc,where they themselves were seen to be sitting on their hands.Still,they made what would become the signing of the season with the free-transfer of Sol Campbell.

We were inconsistent during that season to be fair. Veron wasn't settling. Scholes was being shifted all over the place. Blanc looking like a poor substitute for Stam,who was notoriously shipped off in the summer for 16.5 million to Serie A side Lazio.
    Still,Beckham enjoyed his second best season for us and Ruud instantly became a goalscorer of real class.But the team in general was disjointed,none more so at the back.
    Also the cloud of this being Ferguson's last campaign also played a part in the uncertain nature of that season.

Buuuuuuuuuut minor all of that ,and back to the point,Arsenal were deserved winners.They were comfortably producing the most slick,one-touched football I had seen.
    There was a sense of belief in them now after being nearly men for so,so long.

They would've won the PL the following season too if they didn't cock-up in a few results,leaving us to pick up the PL crown once again.:devil:
  11. Oct 11, 2018

charlton66 Full Member

Supports:
    Golden State
    Well I could be under some circumstances but typically I wouldn't fall into that category but on the other hand...............

;)
  12. Oct 11, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

I get annoyed with these types of poles. They don't consider other competitions that the club were involved in.

I think the achievement of United's treble winning side and the 2007/08 team winning the Champions League is of higher value than City getting 100 points or the invincibles season. Obviously I'm biased but winning the Champions League, where you have to play your best team midweek, then consistently win at the weekend is a lot harder to do.

City were able to rotate massively compared to previous years. I don't think any other team that has won the title has had 4 £50m signings regularly sat on the bench and maybe one academy player.

For me:

1) Man United - 07/08
    2) Man United - 98/99
    3) Chelsea - 04/05 - won the double, 97 points in the league, knocked out in the semis of Champions League with ghost goal by the scousers.
    4) Arsenal - 03/04
    5) City - 16/17
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  13. Oct 11, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

This I definitely agree with. Whenever they do these poles they clearly can't have 10 Manchester United seasons though.

Sky Sports recently had a programme of the best Premier League moments. This included in their top 10:

Leicester winning the title
    Blackburn winning the title
    Mourinho winning the title with Chelsea in his first season
    Arsenal invincibles season
    City wining their first title

So basically seasons where United did not win the league is classed as the best Premier League moments.
  14. Oct 11, 2018

grahamo Full Member

99 treble winners easily. The beat Inter Juve and Bayern (Who were all top top teams in the 90s) on the way to CL triumph leaving barca behind at the group stage. They beat Liverpool Chelsea and Arsenal on the way to FA cup success and anyone who remembers that season every game was pressure.
  15. Oct 11, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    This thread gets boring quickly. Especially on the Caf. Yes, the Treble side is the greatest. 3 trophies. Blah blah.

A more interesting conversation is “taking only one season into account, and ignoring European/cup success, what is the best single season PL winning side?”
  16. Oct 11, 2018

Klopper76 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Manchester City won 32 of their 38 league games last season. They won more points than any of the other sides on that list.

If we're just looking at title wins, shouldn't the side who won the most points be considered the most impressive?
  17. Oct 11, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

That would be even more boring argument. You just list the teams that won the title and sort by points.
  18. Oct 11, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

We played 63 games in 1998/99. Won 3 trophies and went unbeaten in league and cup from Christmas onwards. Had to play every top team in the country on route to winning the FA Cup. Played Barca, Bayern, Juventus and Inter in the Champions League. Its the Treble side, and until someone betters what that side did, it'll always be the standard.
  19. Oct 11, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    This. Agree with everything.

Had Chelsea and Arsenal gone head-to-head, Chelsea would have got more points. So they were the better Premier League team.

Arsenal's 03-04 team is grossly over-rated by the London media, largely because it's the best London side of all time and they hate United. Also a lot of pseudo-intellectuals eulogised the likes of Henry and Pires for reflected glory.
  20. Oct 11, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

That's just as boring. It's City. They smashed every record going. :lol:
  21. Oct 11, 2018

Mogget Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    The 07/08 United is pretty overrated on here (understandable coz it's a United forum).

You weren't as dominant in the league as you like to make out now and you were one JT slip away from losing the CL.

In terms of teams purely dominating the league it has to be between Chelsea 04/05 and last year's City side.
  22. Oct 11, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    You can't just take the PL in isolation. Teams that go deep in the CL have to juggle their resources and cope with playing competitive games every three or four days. A team which exits the CL early doesn't face those challenges.

Had United not had to juggle the various competitions in 99 and 08, we might have won even more points than we did.
  23. Oct 11, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Neither of those sides you mentioned won the CL.

At the start of the season, what would you rather win: one of the big trophies, or both of them?

Also, by your logic Arsenal were just a RVN penalty miss away from losing their unbeaten record in 03-04. Had that happened, they wouldn't even feature in this debate.
  24. Oct 11, 2018

Supports:
    Not really. What team would win a single knockout tournament comprised of all the PL winners (Sky invented football in 92)? We have an entire section of the Caf that could answer that question for us.
  25. Oct 11, 2018

Oscar.Z.Acosta Full Member

I think it would be foolish to back against that ‘98-‘99 team in any contest.

Talent and will beyond any United team I’ve ever seen...
  26. Oct 11, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

No reason why a team should be considered solely on the basis of a single season.
  27. Oct 11, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

98/99 is a classic, highly driven team with the best honours possible.
    07/08 best team hands down. For the reason I mention below! Only one, max two players there that weren't world class.

Both Arsenal teams are classic too.

These lineups just prove to me that you need fantastic players to achieve fantastic things. Not just about getting the most out of a team you make do with. You need a great team, and then to get them playing.

City's is nowhere near the others for me though. Very good team obviously, but lacking something. Then again, you don't get teams like you used to.

More like a world class team sprinkled with a utility player or two!
  28. Oct 11, 2018

bonothom New Member

I went with 07/08, best United team EVER. The 93/94 was a powerful team and had it not been for the shambolic rules in the Champions league at that time they would have gone a long way in that competition as well.
  29. Oct 11, 2018

ROFLUTION Full Member

Me too. In terms of how good the players are in their position too, this is just the one for me. Can't ignore that we went on to bigger things neither (The Treble). Says something about the winning-mentality of the squad, where City has not been able to copy the success outside of England.

And that Andy Cole goal for clinching it :drool:
  30. Oct 11, 2018

Supports:
    Again, I disagree. I think, for example, that our 99-00 team would beat the 98-99 team in a best of 5 series.
  31. Oct 11, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Yeah that's true actually, you could rarely name many of the best players in the world in their position before our guys came into the conversation. I suppose I just wanted to highlight the quality of the team ethic we had then, backed up by Wes saying there was zero moaning that season. We had great players and Ronaldo obviously stood out but we wouldn't have hit the heights we managed without the collective mentality Fergie instilled.
  32. Oct 11, 2018

Supports:
    Why not?
  33. Oct 11, 2018

Mastadon New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Arsenal 01/02 and 03/04 played the best football every seen in England. Utd 99 and 08 obviously won the CL but in terms of PL entertainment there is nobody better than those Arsenal wining sides.
  34. Oct 11, 2018

Supports:
    Brave soul here.

I think the 06-07 United side is up there from an entertainment perspective. Chelsea 09-10 too under Ancelotti.
  35. Oct 11, 2018

arthurka Full Member

Mate you might argue that they played some of the best football around at the time. But 98-99 Utd for the entertainment and nail biting drama will never be matched, their mentality isn´t rivaled by any of the other squads.
    Can´t think of any other squad that had as much depth, how many winning matches came from the sub scoring over that season. Both the league and CL were clinched by the subs.
  36. Oct 11, 2018

Supports:
    From a United fan's perspective, yes.
  37. Oct 11, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Funny thing is before I entered this thread and pushed the 'Show ignored content' I knew who would be here doing the usual City brown-nosing.
  38. Oct 11, 2018

bleedred Full Member

A very akward thread for liverpool fans!
  39. Oct 11, 2018

EireRed_GS New Member

christ... our MF and attack was something else in 08 :devil:
  40. Oct 11, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

Both us in 2007/08 and Chelsea in 2004/05 were better than the invincibles.