Bebe Loan Watch | Back from injury

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Sean_RedDevil, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 10, 2011

The Taurean looks like a chipmunk

Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
    wonder if we will ever unravel the mystery of Bebe.
    Should get the playing time in there. However, wonder if a championship side here would have been better for him!
  2. Jun 10, 2011

alastair ignorant

I made a point of watching him in every first team appearance he made. Also, quite sadly, I caught quite a lot of clips of him in the reserves. He's not 16-17, he's 20 years old. Although 20 is hardly finished product age, he's not even any product at the moment. Are you convinced he'll return to United? I'm pretty sure he's just another Manucho.
  3. Jun 10, 2011

Hectic Admin

4. Jun 10, 2011

Raven Blade Dull

If anyone didn't think Sir Alex means business in this transfer window, then they should now. In public he won't admit signing him was a mistake but privately he will regret not having a good look at him first. Fergie is making tough decisions about the squad very quickly and anyone who doesn't fit those future plans is outta here.

[​IMG]

Even now i'm still not sure what to make of him. Bebe has to be the most bizarre signing we've ever made. Good luck to him at Besiktas, I hope he makes a decent player of himself because I don't expect him to return from this loan. We have other youngsters ahead of him in technical ability with more potential to be fulfilled.
  5. Jun 10, 2011

Siorac Full Member

For his style and for his level of ability, certainly.

Although the fact that he needs half a pitch for his first touch makes him more suited to League One or League Two, to be fair.

He's strong and quick with very little technical ability: an archetypical English lower league player.
  6. Jun 10, 2011

alastair ignorant

That may be so, but not rating Bebe is probably not the best argument to use against me.
  7. Jun 10, 2011

Decotron Full Member

suitable tagline
  8. Jun 10, 2011

Hectic Admin

And you saw absolutely nothing there to suggest he could ever be 'half-decent'? I saw plenty there. He's not consistent, and has yet to make an impact, but to say he has nothing is ridiculous. He needs time, and a fair bit of it before we can start to see if there is potential there. I think he has a chance too, what I won't say is that he has no chance of coming back, based on the little we have seen of him.
  9. Jun 10, 2011

Solius Has a massive ginger bush

I can see where alastair is coming from. With most youngsters they do something in the first team that makes you think 'yeah they've got something'. Bebe has done this in the reserves but to do it in the first team is something different all together and he hasn't shown this yet.
  10. Jun 10, 2011

Hectic Admin

In fairness, he's not had the background of most youngsters, especially the ones we are used to seeing. It's clear he needs more time than the average signing, with fitness, mentality and understanding of the game at this level, it's a huge step up, and to form hard conclusions at this point doesn't really make sense. I think the expectations of him at this point, so early on are far too high.
  11. Jun 10, 2011

Red Defence Full Member

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
    Tend to agree with that.
  12. Jun 10, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

I have to agree with Alas-tard.

He's just been plain below average in his appearances. Nothing to suggest he'll be a United player. If his stint with us helps him become a decent pro then I'd be happy that we made a difference to his career.

He may have been good with the reserves, but the difference between reserve and competitive football is as big as a list of girls that Giggsy has shagged.
  13. Jun 10, 2011

SecondFig Full Member

Hope he comes back as I'd love to see him prove all of the doubters wrong....

...but sadly I rather expect to him to go the way of Manucho and Tosic - bought, didn't impress, loaned out and then sold
  14. Jun 10, 2011

alastair ignorant

Well for his sake, I do hope he has something in his locker. I just didn't see it personally. Ferguson's defence of him was strange - it was almost as if he was trying to convince himself of his own words. This loan move is a particularly bizarre one though because he's not going to get an awful lot of time on the pitch. He'd have been better off either going back to Portugal or going out on loan somewhere local, but in the Championship or League 1.
  15. Jun 10, 2011

alastair ignorant

This is a very reasonable point, in fairness.
  16. Jun 10, 2011

Ubik Full Member

People are too quick to form conclusions over young players, and aren't very good at spotting potential, as Fergie has said. It was said that he'd take a few years right after he'd joined the club. He needs to improve a lot, but I can't see why people seem so obsessed with slating him. The guardian journo's the worst for it.

Edit - "In fairness" has been used far too much already.
  17. Jun 10, 2011

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Gerçek Gündem: Türkiye'nin ihtiyac?...

Anyway there's a little excerpt in the end, something related to 2.5Mil. Google translate hasn't been helpful, any Turkish caftard here which can translate

18. Jun 10, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    agree fully Hectic.
  19. Jun 10, 2011

Zarlak Steve Round (Moderator)

Truth like rain don't give a fuck who it falls on.
    Good post, you sign a young kid from one of the lowest leagues around where the standard of play is much lower with the aim of improving him in a few years and people expect him to show talent immediately like the kids that have come from the best league in the world.
  20. Jun 10, 2011

Ok this old ground again.

However, while he may need more time, where is this extraordinary talent that made us simply have to have him? Surely if our scout saw such a talent that we had to have him immediately, a talent so good that no time could be wasted in SAF researching the player, then we'd have seen glimpses of it by now on the pitch.

I just think the most likely scenario is we got a little bit duped by someone creating hype around him with supposed interest from Madrid.

At the end of the day if he turns out to be not good enough we'll probably recover a lot of the 7 million. Hence no big loss really. If he turns out to be mint then well done.

Anyway, as I said its old ground. Best of luck to him on his loan.
  21. Jun 10, 2011

Hectic Admin

It's not reasonable, or rational. We knew he would be extremely raw, given his experience at this level is a million miles off. Why there's suddenly a backlash about something that should have been expected, is beyond me. What it is, is over-expectation and a complete lack of patience. It would have been wonderful if Bebe had come with an impact, or more to his game that we could easily see, but was that a likely scenario, or a bit of a pipe dream? I can't even fathom the amount of intense work that has to done on him, in a multitude of areas, but before that has even started to any real degree, he is being judged as of right now. A complete lack of context is being applied to Bebe here.
  22. Jun 10, 2011

Cina Shagawa Baby!

I think he's is genuinely the craziest transfer we've ever made, whether he becomes a good player or not. It's so, so odd.
  23. Jun 10, 2011

charleysurf Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

wouldn't a Portuguese team have been a better destination? culturally Turkey can be a shock for some players, and Bebe seems like a player who has low confidence at the moment.
    I think there is some good potential in Bebe, but he really needs to feel confident in himself.
  24. Jun 10, 2011

Kelvin Banned

buying him without seeing him play, i don't understand SAF statement with that?
  25. Jun 10, 2011

Siorac Full Member

Then again, we have Chris Smalling who had his own footballing education at Maidstone United but proved himself to be a remarkably composed Premier League defender after only 13 games for Fulham. His technique is, at the moment, considerably better than Bebe's.

I somehow expected a young Portuguese attacker to be skilful but lacking in decision-making, awareness, vision, teamwork, stamina. Instead we got a clumsy battering ram. His awful touch and close control has little to do with lack of academy education, there are plenty of players in shite leagues all over the world who are more technically adept than Bebe.
  26. Jun 10, 2011

VoetbalWizard Banned

cutting the fat off the squad.

brilliant.
  27. Jun 10, 2011

Anderson8 Full Member

I have a soft spot for Bebe, given his childhood, and you can understand why this first season hasn't gone well for him. I'd like to see him prove himself and come back, but unfortunately I don't see it. I mean, Fergie can be a stubborn man, and he might just take on the challenge of trying to make Bebe a United player, even if he deep down, can see that he is not. However, I think in this case its more likely he'll be brutal, you can see that the level Bebe's at currently is below what we'd usually expect from a 20 year old in the first team, and although that's perfectly understandable in this case, because it is somewhat of an exceptional case, there's no need to go out of our way to focus on developing him, when it would be much easier to bring in somebody from the reserves, or another youngster who has far fewer question marks. It would be cruel on the lad, but if he isn't actually up to it, there isn't any room for sentiment.
  28. Jun 10, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Yeah, Vassel's blog from his stint in Turkey was unbelievably depressing. I hope Bebe has a happier experience but can't say I'm too hopeful.
  29. Jun 10, 2011

Devil may care Full Member

Meet the performance expectations for the player with the United Mancherster testimonial about 2.5 million cost of the club's new manager wants and Mendes in white in black-and-add with the support of the staff approached the footballer said.
  30. Jun 10, 2011

Siorac Full Member

Only "metallic Serbian rapist" is missing from that.
  31. Jun 10, 2011

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Yeah, Querioz is known for trying to get one over Sir Alex...

And we obviously haven't paid 7m for him. That'd be the maximum fee given a certain number of appearances for us and the national team along with other performance-related clauses and the like.
  32. Jun 10, 2011

Hectic Admin

Yeah that was horrible, truly felt for him reading that.
  33. Jun 10, 2011

That's because of your own ideas about young Portugese attackers and what they are like which isn't Bebes fault, are they based on Nani and Ronaldo?
  34. Jun 10, 2011

Top Admin

Hadn't heard about that. What was the jist of it?
  35. Jun 10, 2011

Queiroz didn't really have anything to do with it. The player was recommended by our scout in Portugal. We may have panicked slightly and rushed into it with alleged interest from Madrid.

Also the 7 million, I have no clue if it was paid upfront or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if the upfront fee was slightly on the higher side considering he had only just signed for his new club a month before.
  36. Jun 10, 2011

Siorac Full Member

No, more like on several generations of Portuguese attackers.

Still, I don't mind battering rams, and my point was mainly that his technical ability (or lack thereof, to be precise) is quite shocking. Not the type of attacker I'd want for Manchester United, no matter how quick and strong he is.
  37. Jun 10, 2011

Hectic Admin

38. Jun 10, 2011

That's why he's going to take a few years to grow, be polished and be nurtured.

The fact is, you've said you're disappointed with him as you expected him to be something he wasn't. That's not Bebes fault. You have to take him for what he is.
  39. Jun 10, 2011

jgraham Company man, hitched.

punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
    This for me isn't a good move for bebe in terms of his long term career at the club. I personally think if we had any belief in the player then he'd have been loaned to a club in England so we could better keep a track of his progress and have him back at the club every so often. It's always been said that he needs to be given time to adjust and I just don't see how a move to Turkey will allow for that.

Beginning of the end for him at United in my opinion but i'd very much love to be proven wrong.
  40. Jun 10, 2011

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    I think he needs proper education not first team action. Imo Fergie gave up on him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.