Benatia : I wanted to raise kids in Muslim country

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Zlatattack, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 8, 2019

Zlatattack Full Member

Mehdi Benatia says he has faced criticism over his decision to snub Manchester United to sign for Al Duhail, but the Moroccan defender says he did so in order to raise his family in a Muslim country.

In need of a new central defender, Manchester United pegged Benatia as one of several winter targets, but ultimately fell short as the Juventusdefender turned down an offer to move to England.

Instead, the 31-year-old central defender opted to move to Qatar to join Al Duhail, and made his debut for the club in a 1-0 loss to Al Gharafa on Thursday.

"I faced criticism from the Moroccan sports critics after moving to Doha but I want everyone to respect my decision because it was the best for me and for my family,” Benatia told Al Duhail's website.

“I want my kids to grow up in an Islamic atmosphere, and I could go to clubs in the UAE or Saudi Arabia but I preferred to be with Al Duhail, and there are a lot of Moroccan players who play in the national team and are with the Gulf clubs.

“[Morocco] coach Herve Renard knows me well and if he sees that I do not deserve to be with the national team, I will respect this decision."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/benati...r-rejecting-man-utd/rp5zzyqczfcu1eucu80e7csl6

Manchester is plenty islamic. Loads of curry houses and kebab places on wimmy Road, the airport does flights to Pakistan, loads of mosques and the Trafford Centre has palm trees indoors.
  2. Feb 8, 2019

SS Full Member

I don't even recall us being linked to him.
  3. Feb 8, 2019

Zlatattack Full Member

Neither do I. Maybe it was a Mourinho link?
  4. Feb 8, 2019

haram Full Member

So he didn't actually say he turned us down?
  5. Feb 8, 2019

Fridge chutney Full Member

Or that we really wanted him...
  6. Feb 8, 2019

the unknown one. Full Member

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
    :lol:
  7. Feb 8, 2019

SAFMUTD New Member

If this it true, what is most surprising for me is that we were interested in burned out CBs, there had been rumors of Boateng and Godin turning us down and now Benatia. There's a reason why their teams want to ship them out and not many interested, they are clearly past it.

Bottom line I don't think anyone of those would had an impact with us and eventually they would have become a problem, like Schweinsteiger and Alexis. For what it's worth I'm happy we didn't sign any of them.
  8. Feb 8, 2019

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I really hope he and his family are comfortable and happy. But, we should have had zero interest in him.
  9. Feb 8, 2019

Martial Full Member

Literally no where does he mention Manchester United.

Stupid post.
  10. Feb 8, 2019

Reddy Rederson Full Member

No he didnt.
  11. Feb 8, 2019

Flytan Full Member

I don't get this at all. Respect for him for following his beliefs but has nothing to do with United.

Still pretty weird, can't imagine caring about religion that much so it's foreign to me.
  12. Feb 8, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Exactly. ManUtd wasnt mentioned anywhere, looks like Goal just added the name.
  13. Feb 8, 2019

RedTiger Full Member

This is the first I'm hearing about this link.
  14. Feb 8, 2019

MDFC Manager Full Member

15. Feb 8, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

That’s a proper insane article. He literally said nothing about United, and we haven’t been linked with him since he was at fecking Roma.

Still, nonsense aside, I can’t blame him for choosing to move to Qatar for religious and family reasons.
  16. Feb 8, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Religious reasons is a bit of a shite reason not to go somewhere.
  17. Feb 8, 2019

shamans Hoser

Why? If I was in Saudi Arabia I would go to another country where there's a different religious atmosphere. My point being, we all have our preferences on how we'd like our kids to grow. I believe Scandanavia would be a good place if you want zero religious influence while Texas would be good for Christian families.

That said, let's not turn the Caf into the sun or daily mail? For starters he never said this and if he did it belong in general forums.
  18. Feb 8, 2019

haram Full Member

Not really if its tied to your family as well.
  19. Feb 8, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Unless it's extremely important to you.

It isn't to me but it can be for others.
  20. Feb 8, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

I think to do anything as big as that for religious reasons is silly, whatever religion you may be. But I do get that he'd want to live somewhere where he enjoys a culture he's familiar with. I feel it's a waste not to take up an opportunity for a few years then doing what you want, but different strokes.

Don't really get your Saudi comparison or Daily Mail comment.
  21. Feb 8, 2019

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

All religions as an ethic is basically an alternative to Law. A controller of population.

Certain religions are stronger in this sense that they literally abide by do's & don'ts - benefiting the people in it way more than the people outside it.

All benatia is doing is abiding by a law - even if not written; one that is assumed to be right by his own or regarded by others perception.

Benatia was a rubbish footballer anyway :yawn:
  22. Feb 8, 2019

Loublaze ATLien

Good for him but I don't think he would've been a good fit at OT anyway. Benatia probably knows he's finished at the top level. Most 31 year old washed up players would jump at an opportunity to play out their careers at the biggest club on earth
  23. Feb 8, 2019

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

:lol: I doubt that's what he means by kids growing up in an Islamic atmosphere?
    Godin rejected Atlético's offer of a contract extension and has already sown up a free transfer / last big payday with Inter. Serie A will suit him just fine for another 2-3 years I reckon.
  24. Feb 8, 2019

shahzy New Member

Firstly i don't even think he had an offer from us, he hasn't said anything to think otherwise. Secondly i think even if had an offer from us, this Muslim upbringing is a secondary thing seeing as he had a chance to join Utd in the past and he turned us down then. More likely is he doesn't fancy playing for us and this muslim thing is a convenient excuse for the reporters.
  25. Feb 8, 2019

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

Nowhere in the article he mentions Man Utd, amended the thread title. The OP should also be wary of click baits.
  26. Feb 8, 2019

B20 HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think it's more equivalent to a European working in Asia or the Middle East and deciding to move to Europe because he wants his children to grow up in a western culture.
  27. Feb 8, 2019

berbatrick Full Member Scout

28. Feb 8, 2019

SAFMUTD New Member

A couple of years ago Godin could have chosen any team he wanted, now he is going to Inter, I don’t have anything against Inter but they are not a top top club anymore, not at least for what Godin could aspire atwo years ago.
  29. Feb 8, 2019

kambinks New Member

“[Morocco] coach Herve Renard knows me well and if he sees that I do not deserve to be with the national team, I will respect this decision."
    Maybe theres an issue with the coach or general criticism about his spot in the national team. Maybe hes facing criticism on chances of playing in the national team would be higher if he would play in a bigger European team rather than about him snubbing United.

Atleast thats what i gathered from it.
  30. Feb 8, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Hate the way our name is dragged by any fecker to boost his profile.
    While the feck would we have wanted Benatia.
    Edit: He doesn't even mention us.
  31. Feb 8, 2019

Kostur Full Member

32. Feb 8, 2019

Kostov Full Member

There's no mention of Manchester United, fecking pathetic clickbait shit.
  33. Feb 8, 2019

Pass and Move Full Member

Let's hope for their sake his kids aren't girls then.
  34. Feb 8, 2019

Pat_Mustard Full Member

A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
    How's he playing this season? I've barely watched La Liga this season after Sky Sports lost the broadcasting rights.
  35. Feb 8, 2019

Pav1878 New Member

Mate, kebabs and curry houses doesn't equal Islam.
  36. Feb 8, 2019

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

To be fair to goal.com if they had to name every club Benatia has snubbed with this move they'd have to name every club outside of Islamic countries. If you think of what the headline would look like in that case: 'Benatia: Focus on religion the reason for rejecting Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Huddersfield Town, Fulham...' plus the other 12 PL clubs, plus the 72 FL clubs, plus all our non-league clubs, plus the clubs from every other non-Islamic country you can see why they've taken their decision to only name us, as a kind of shorthand for every club in the non-Islamic world.

Sports journalism is tough, but dammit I'm proud to have the likes of goal.com making these tough calls on our behalf.
  37. Feb 8, 2019

Your point being? That two years ago he was better? No shit Sherlock, but you said Atlético wanted to ship him out: wrong. You said he had no suitors: wrong.

He will do better at Inter than he would have in the EPL two years ago. League plays to his strengths and his oldie weaknesses won't be too exposed.
  38. Feb 8, 2019

Same here. The few times I have I see the same as with the NT: age is catching up but he is still a top class CB in the right setup. Can't be too gung-ho any more though.

Now I think of it... he got married over XMAS so will likely turn to shit rather quickly. He no longer has much to look forward to so his mind will start drifting. Hopefully a last hurrah at the Copa and then Inter will probably get a rerun of when Forlán joined them after the Copa América win in 2011.
  39. Feb 8, 2019

Catt The least positive person in match threads ever

I don't think we were in for him?
  40. Feb 8, 2019

GBBQ Full Member

Don't ever recall being linked to him, I mean given the management situation i think our transfer activity was essentially null but if Toby Alderweireld was considered outside our required age profile at 29, I really doubt we were looking to go for Benatia anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.