Berbatov | Fulham player

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by SAred, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Apr 12, 2012

Cina Shagawa Baby!

I think it's a bit ridiculous that he's not getting game time, there must be something going on. I feel sorry for the man.
  2. Apr 12, 2012

Amir Full Member

I could see why Fergie decided not to use him. He knows he's going, we know he's going, maybe he lost a bit of motivation - we don't know what people see on the training ground. Having said that, looking at Welbeck and Hernandez, maybe we need an ace in the hole. I wouldn't mind him starting against Villa. Offer something fresh. It's not likely to be worse than using the other two out of form strikers.
  3. Apr 12, 2012

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

I would use him if we were beating a team comfortably at half time. We can't just jam him into the first team at this stage of the season and hope he works.
  4. Apr 12, 2012

Hectic Admin

We've handled this in such a poor way, it's really quite unbelievable. It would be a bit more understandable if Berbatov didn't have the professionalism that he does, or if in his last run-outs he had made zero impact. He's had 7 goals in his last 10 starts, and we certainly could and should have used him when we've had some poor performances from our strikers recently. I'm sure there was some kind of middleground to accepting he is leaving next season and wanting to give Welbeck and Hernandez the time, and still being able to use him when we clearly need him.
  5. Apr 12, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Wouldnt be surprised if something came out once he's left. SAF never really washes dirty linen in public, him freezing berba out completely even when chicha and welbeck havent been good is surprising really. there could be more than what is out in the public.
  6. Apr 12, 2012

Hectic Admin

I'd hope there is, because it just doesn't make sense otherwise. Berbatov has had an impeccable attitude that we know of, through multiple interviews and press conferences over the past year, and even in the statement announcing his exit.
  7. Apr 12, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

On the back of 8 wins a row and a ton of goals scored. Fergie probably just didnt see the need for him

He is leaving, so every appearance for him, is a chance wasted for Welbeck and Hernandez.

But I do understand why some were calling for him after last nights game.
  8. Apr 12, 2012

Hectic Admin

That's fair logic Randall, but at this stage, knowing that our strikers haven't been playing great in recent games, it would have been nice to have him as the option. Hernandez and Welbeck have a future with many many years at the club, Berbatov has a matter of games, and right now the thought shouldn't be with our future pairing, but with what will win us the game. I'd probably feel more confident with him starting at the moment over Hernandez.
  9. Apr 12, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Yep, he has handled things far better than most would have. Its a shame how things went after last season. Top scorer in the league, us turning down a high bid from PSG and then not playing him and letting him go for free. poor all around.

In the run in, we should be more focused on getting over the line rather than giving chances for players to develop. Both welbeck and hernandez have looked a bit off recently, teams like wigan have been bread and butter for berba, just the kind of games he excels in.
  10. Apr 12, 2012

Hectic Admin

It does feel like we've just taken the absolute piss out of him for the past year.
  11. Apr 12, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I woke up thinking about him, that isn't a good thing. He would have been perfect against Wigan.

He is our Shevchenko.
  12. Apr 12, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Its been surprising how well he's handled himself tbh after how the season has been for him. It'd be understandable if he actually deserved it based on his performances, he didnt. Was instrumental in us winning the league last year, had bids for him and SAF refusing to sell him saying he needs him etc etc and then freezing him out completely. Unlike SAF really, as i said, there could be more to it.
  13. Apr 12, 2012

EricaNo7 Full Member

This is exactly how I feel. I just feel so sorry for him that I'm actually annoyed with Fergie
  14. Apr 13, 2012

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.

Something went on behind the scenes last season that's for sure.

I find it incredible that both Hernadez and Welbeck are being picked ahead of him tbh.

The club have handled what ever went on but from the outside looking in, not in a very professional manner.
  15. Apr 13, 2012

roseguy64 Full Member

Thing is, when he's played he's mostly been good. It's only the match against Newcastle where he was rubbish but then most of the team were then. Don't think he's played since that. Like he's being punished for us being awful that game.
  16. Apr 13, 2012

EricaNo7 Full Member

Whatever it is, Fergie needs to get over it and put him on the bench at least. There's no way he can be worse than Weds night's offering.
  17. Apr 13, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

I reckon it might be as simple as us wanting to sell him last summer and him not wanting to go. We probably would have used the money to buy a midfielder, but his decision to stay prevented the funds being available hence the botched attempts to sign midfielders last summer
  18. Apr 13, 2012

EricaNo7 Full Member

That's no reason to freeze him out though!! Especially if the decision harms our chance of winning anything
  19. Apr 13, 2012

kps88 Full Member

There has to be something going on that we don't know about.
  20. Apr 13, 2012

Dyslexic Untied Full Member

You'd think something was going on by the way he has been frozen out.

At the same time, there hasn't been any noise in the media about this, and they usually hear of trouble with players. Berbatov's agent has also been giving out pretty decent interviews about his talk with Fergie regarding tactics, the need for Berba etc. Nothing in those interviews either to suggest a falling out.

At the same time you would think that playing Berba would drive his price up. Also, regardless of whether he is in our long term plans or not, he is a great footballer, who in terms of skill, ability, and goal ratio (I think) is our second best forward. It's very surprising that he isn't being kept reasonably fresh to be able to help us in the run in. He could obviously do a job for us.

Baffling stuff really, and you do feel for Berbatov, who has been a model professional throughout his stay with us (as far as we know).
  21. Apr 13, 2012

MagnificentDuke Act your rage

I'm still amazed that Wellbeck continues to play in his current form and Berbatov is doing nothing. It blows my mind.
  22. Apr 13, 2012

sajeev Full Member

Welbeck brings more to the team and will bring more in the long run. Welbeck actually helps the team to play at slightly higher level, while Berbatov is better individually at this point, his future is not with us. It is amazing that so many fail to see it. Especially since Berbatov hasn't really been good in the title run-in, the previous seasons he was here (even last season, which was his best).
    His playing wouldn't have made a difference.
  23. Apr 13, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Rooney should make this in real life.
  24. Apr 13, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Welbeck though he's not in goal scoring form is still a good player to start, his general link up play and work rate is useful, much more so than Hernandez anyway. I do think though we should have included Berba more. He's undeniably a very good footballer, even if he doesn't apparently fit in the style we're looking for. I think his ability to hold up the ball and play in others could really help us in some games, even if he's just a sub.
  25. Apr 13, 2012

Dyslexic Untied Full Member

A bit unfair.

Berba didn't really play much in the run in last year, because Chicharito was on fire.

Welbeck has been great for our all over play, and will hopefull continue to do so. He is slightly off form though, and having Berbatov as an alternative (meaning he has to be on the bench at least) wouldn't hurt.

In general I think Berba's inability to link up to our attacking play is grossly over played on here. He is not a poor team player, nor does he use years on the ball or run as little as people think. He isn't as good as Welbeck is at linking up, nor as good as Saha was. Still not useless though, and IMO a lot better at it than Chicharito.
  26. Apr 13, 2012

Still ill Full Member

What we're crying out for at the moment is somebody other than Rooney up front that the ball will stick to. Hernandez and Welbeck have both been conceding possession so cheaply in the final third lately, depite Danny's much vaunted contribution to our build-up. They're the future, but now is not the time to be thinking of the future. I share in the bafflement at Berb's continuing absence.
  27. Apr 13, 2012

kf Full Member

I think it's been clear for a while that Fergie doesn't trust Berbatov in the tight games and in part that goes back to a couple of seasons ago when Rooney got injured in the run in and he had to play Berba. It didn't turn out well. I remember well the game at Blackburn when we desperately needed a goal and Berba had a nightmare. At one point he was sat on the ground feeling sorry for himself and the United fans in the Darwin End just lost it with him.

I've enjoyed having such a talented player at our club and he's certainly provided some great memories and it's a shame it's not worked out as well as we all hoped. But it really wouldn't surprise me if Sir Alex has Owen on the bench ahead of Berba during these last five games and despite what some of you seem to think, it won't be anything personal, it's football.
  28. Apr 13, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Funny thing i was left baffled why he was getting any game time at all in his first season with us.

it's always polemic with Berbatov
  29. Apr 13, 2012

Hectic Admin

I'm sure basically every single person on this board understands his future is not with us.....However, he's still scored from the few times he's been played this season, his impact has actually been very high.

I'm not sure what you mean about the other bit, he was instrumental to us securing another title last season. I'm not sure how you can qualify our top scorer that season as 'hasn't really been good in the title run-in'.
  30. Apr 13, 2012

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

A Forest with Astro Turf Facility. Now a Guardian
    With Welbeck and Hernandez out of goal scoring form currently, I'd certainly play him at Old Trafford. Ok he hasn't played in a while, but his record at Old Trafford is more than decent and Berbatov is a proven goal-scorer at all levels.
  31. Apr 13, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Except CL and from mid march onwards. His tally in total for his United career from March 15 onwards 'start of the last 2 months of the season', is 4 goals.

That for me, is specifically the reason why Fergie is suspect to picking him now.
  32. Apr 13, 2012

EricaNo7 Full Member

I don't care about the future. I want us to win no 20 now
  33. Apr 13, 2012

kouroux Full Member

As of today, I don't think there is a single aspect of football in which Welbeck can be better than Berbatov except pace.Keeping the ball, Berba is better, linking up Berba is better, shooting Berba is better, scoring Berba is better.
    Welbeck is without a doubt the future but the Bulgarian is currently a better player.Hopefully by the end of the season, the decision to not play him at all will not cost the team in some way
  34. Apr 13, 2012

Rood nostradamus like gloater

I think that is definitely part of it, although it was more about freeing up space on the wage bill rather than needing cash for a transfer fee.
    Also Fergie has obviously decided he is not is his future plans so wants to give as much playing time to Welbeck and Hernandez - plus Berba has never been a good option from the bench anyway.
    It is also possible that Berba (or maybe even Spurs) are due a big bonus if he gets another PL medal or hits a certain amount of goals or appearances.
  35. Apr 13, 2012

Hectic Admin

I reckon we would certainly look stronger up front with Berbatov over Hernandez or Welbeck given their current form and impact, and in past games the decision not to use him has probably cost us when we have looked toothless up front.

He has one less league goal this season over Danny, with 24 less starts. Three less goals than Hernandez in the league with 15 less starts.
  36. Apr 13, 2012

VivaRonaldo7 Full Member

Shame he has been frozen out. Would love to see him play again this season but doubt he will even make the bench.
  37. Apr 13, 2012

narnar Needs Help

:lol:

Specifically the reason?

I'd say there are more reasons other than what month it happens to be.
  38. Apr 13, 2012

manusteve Full Member

Since the Chelsea draw, United have won 8 and lost 1.

So even with Welbeck and Chicharito in stuttering form, and Rooney not looking brilliant despite the goals, we have gone on an excellent run that ended against Wigan.

So, please explain how playing Berbatov could have bettered these results? Unless, of course, you are saying that with Berbatov in the team, we definitely would have beaten Wigan?

I think it is fair to question the non-participation of Berbatov, but what is the point of belittling Welbeck. Welbeck has had far fewer games up to now to show his effectiveness for United - Berbatov has had plenty.
  39. Apr 13, 2012

kouroux Full Member

:confused: that wasn't my point at all.
    I'm not belittling Welbeck, I acknowledge he's a great talent and probably has a great future at United.It's just my opinion that Berba is currently (and rightly so as he's experience and maturity on his side)a better player, as a manager though it's not just about fielding the best available players at all costs.It's creating the best possible chemistry.
  40. Apr 13, 2012

manusteve Full Member

I'm not sure playing Berbatov provides extra "chemistry". I'm not saying HE is a bad player either, but his inclusion always slows our game down. We are not Barcelona, we should always play with pace, that is when we are most effective.

Incidentally, I get very frustrated when Welbeck decides to drop deep too because Rooney is already doing that most of the game. That said, Welbeck generally does find more advanced positions than Berbatov does.