Berbatov | Fulham player

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by SAred, Mar 21, 2009.

1. May 7, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

Keane said in his book Cantona was a lazy feck and laid our failures in Europe at the time squarely at his feet on that basis.

Or am I remembering that wrong?
  2. May 7, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    By most accounts Cantona was generally one of the last to leave training.
  3. May 7, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

I've read his book and do not recall that.

But I am sure I have heard him praise his work rate for the side, back in the days.

But I recall Eric always working hard.

The stand out was obviously that Cup semi vs. Chelsea. Cantona was the only man back to clear a Ruud Gullit effort off the line.
  4. May 7, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    More, Fergie said that signing Eric was catalyst of United moving forward. he changed other players' mentality by staying after the training and training individually or with two, three other players. Allegedly other players followed his example.
  5. May 7, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

that's one of the most idiotic, simplistic and misleading stat ever. The covered distance stats are useless without ratio of meters covered in full sprint to total distance. also at it was apparent with Makalele in Madrid also direction of these runs is important.
  6. May 7, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Think you're remembering that wrong. I've read Keane's book and if I remember correctly he prasied Cantona a lot in it and loved his attitude as a footballer. It seemed that Cantona was a massive influence on him as a player.
  7. May 7, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

And to the best of my knowledge these players do/did not run around like "maniacs" they simply worked hard for the side.
  8. May 7, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

what do you mean by running like maniacs?
  9. May 7, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

you see, I think that Berbatov is much better as a finisher (see first months of the last season) than number 10. That is why i changed my mind about him after his two first seasons with us. You are right - for some reason (don't really care what that reason is) he doesn't do Tevez. But we would be better off if he played in front of Rooney rather than behind Welbeck/ Hernandez.

PS Probably Fergie knows better what to do with him ;)
  10. May 8, 2012

Amar__ Full Member

[​IMG]
  11. May 20, 2012

dev1l Full Member

www.therepublikofmancunia.com/berba...utm_campaign=berba-id-never-do-what-tevez-did

Berba: I’d Never Do What Tevez Did
    May 20, 2012 55 Comments

Dimitar Berbatov is leaving United this summer but insists he would never behave like Carlos Tevez has since leaving the club.

“Tevez did ​​it out of spite,” Berbatov told BG TV. “But I wouldn’t do something like that. I had the opportunity to sign for City but I chose United. City are the champions but to me they just bought the title. They bought so many players. I’m sure next year Manchester United will be on top again. Ferguson is honest. He knows how to talk to anyone. After meeting with him you go out so motivated. You want to conquer the world. Before the start of this season, I spoke with Ferguson and asked him if he’ll rely on me. He said to me that he needed me and that I’d play. I’m looking for answer myself why I was sitting on the bench. I spoke with Ferguson about ten times. I was fighting for my place and I was trying but obviously the team will rely on young players.”
  12. May 20, 2012

SATA Full Member

I hope no offer comes in for him and he gets to stay for another season if he wants to. He absolutely deserves it the sexy Bulgarian
  13. May 20, 2012

Judge Red Don't Call Me Douglas

What he said would have been better without the bit about City buying the league. The ripostes are too easy.
  14. May 20, 2012

Relevated Moral Guide

18M1955/JU5 - May the eyes of cowards never sleep.
    Berbatov tov tov He told city to feck off
  15. May 20, 2012

Kraftwerker Formerly RedAddict

What a class act.

Sad.
  16. May 20, 2012

Bape Full Member

And have him sit on the bench for another season? I rather he leaves, it would be a waste of his talent. He deserves to be playing every week, and he has a few more years at the top of his game.

Good luck berba, conducted himself in such a professional manner, unlike the bitter argentine.
  17. May 20, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

What a classy guy.
  18. May 20, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

He has more class in his little finger than Tevez has in his whole body, or could ever dream of having.

I feel a bit sad that it never truly worked out here for Berbatov.
  19. May 20, 2012

Saliph Banned

He deserved better. Great guy.
  20. May 20, 2012

Drifter American

Striker Dimitar Berbatov wants to leave Manchester United because he feels he has fallen out of favour with manager Alex Ferguson.

"My time at Manchester United is running out," the 31-year-old Bulgarian told bTV on Sunday. "I no longer feel like a valuable part of this team."

The Premier League club took up an extra year's option on the former Bulgaria captain's contract in March despite him slipping down the pecking order at Old Trafford.

"I think I did well in the few opportunities that I received," he said. "But I am a little frustrated by the way this happened, I do not think I deserved it."

Berbatov, who is Bulgaria's all-time leading scorer with 48 goals, joined United from Tottenham Hotspur in 2008 for 30.7 million pounds ($48.53 million).

"I've talked 10 times or even more with the manager and he always told me there would be a place for me in the team. But after that I continued to stay on the bench," he said.

"But I have dignity and I stopped going to such meetings, it is clear that I'm leaving United. It's obvious that I have to leave.

"I'm looking for a new place now... I know I can still play at the highest level."

Berbatov has been linked in the media with several clubs from Italy, Germany, France and Turkey, but he said he would not join United's city rivals Manchester City.

"I would never join Man City, I am a loyal person after all," he said. "I had the opportunity to sign for City in the past, but I chose United."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/05/20/berbatov.united/index.html#ixzz1vRdoj9Jj
  21. May 20, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Inevitable really. Shame, but he's improved his reputation as a person throughout a lot of it and has my utmost respect. He'll always have a place in my heart after what he did in that 3-2 game against Liverpool.
  22. May 21, 2012

Unam333 Full Member

What a class person and great attitude. I'd love him to stay, because I think he's alot more to offer than Hernandez.
  23. May 21, 2012

Mr Anderson Full Member

Such a shame really. He is a classy player and person, just doesnt suit the style of player where fergie wants to take us (as reported before, he wants us the play more tippy tappy quick pace). Still a fantastic option to have. remember our boring 0-0 the previous season at City, he was the loan striker and worked his ass off and done well. Not a great performence, but still it showed what he could do workrate wise.
  24. May 21, 2012

Edmeiste Banned

I feel bad for Dimi. I thought there was going to be a time where he'd really prove his worth for us at the club. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out and it's a shame to lose out on such an elegant player.

I'll miss his approach to the game in the sense of making football look like a beautiful painting. Can't fault his attitude. Kept quiet and never threw a strop. Hope his next move is his best yet. Someone with his class and attitude deserves. All the best dimi!
  25. May 21, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

very wrong
  26. May 21, 2012

Laphroaig Full Member

:(
  27. May 21, 2012

LLMU Full Member

I just wish him all the best and he will be class again in whichever team that signs him
  28. May 21, 2012

LLMU Full Member

our failures in europe back then was more because of the 3 foreigners in a team rule
  29. May 21, 2012

Ekeke Full Member

Had more than enough chances in his time here regardless of form, so he shouldnt be complaining about that. Managed a very good season last season but clearly the manager doesnt feel he can compete with Welbeck and Hernandez.

Wouldnt be the first striker we replaced in the lineup after a year or two and perhaps he can look back at his first couple of seasons at United and if he had done what he did last year, then, he'd have proven a success and much harder for young players to displace.

He'll find himself a decent team and do well for them
  30. May 21, 2012

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

Thing is, after his best season last year, he clearly worked on his fitness during the off season to fit in better with the style the team was shifting to and yet, wasn't given much chance to prove himself.

The handling of Berbatov this season has been terrible.
  31. May 21, 2012

kouroux Full Member

It's not that he cannot compete with them at all, Berbatov is a better than both of them but SAF is the one with the decision and is the one who chooses which players suit the team better.
    I have no doubt that Berbatov is the 2nd best striker in the club after Rooney
  32. May 21, 2012

Cold_Boy Banned

Chelsea ,maybe?
  33. May 21, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    You wish. Berbatov has not been making the team simply because he lacks the pace and SAF and his staff have been deliberately trying to add pace to our first 11. His agent confirmed as much.

I suspect that was also the real reason behind Anderson and Cleverley starting the season as the first choice midfield duo.
  34. May 21, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Not sure if it's been pointed out yet but Berbatov finished with the best goals per minute ratio in the league and a ratio beaten only by Messi and Ronaldo in the top 5 leagues.
  35. May 21, 2012

togg Full Member

Always liked Dimi, but always believed he was the right player in the wrong era at united. His languid style was more of a cantonesque type era....(yeah oddly put, but you get what I mean hopefully).

I think he should go because I would love him to have another season or two at a club that will play him regularly so that he's undoubted talent can be seen. He's a very intelligent player.
  36. May 21, 2012

Count Orduck Full Member

Do actually want to back that up with something more than "his agent confirmed as such"?

Even if that's true, his agent is hardly going to come out and say, "he's not been playing much because, frankly, the boss thinks he's gone a bit shit", is he?

If he weren't starting players based on a perceived lack of pace then Carrick, Giggs and Scholes wouldn't be first choice midfielders, and Rafael would start every game.
  37. May 21, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

I know I know. But there was something derogatory about Cantona in that book, I am sure. But read it years ago and have no copy to check back now.
  38. May 21, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I have no need to back it up. It was posted several months ago on this very forum. His agent quoted SAF directly and SAF didn't deviate from that line at a press conference a few days later. If you doubt you can find it on the cafe on your own.

1. Carrick, Scholes and Giggs didn't start the season as the first choice center midfield. Anderson and Cleverly, who spent most of the season injured, did. At one point even Fletcher was getting games ahead of Carrick.

When one looks back at it now, that is a very plausible explanation as to why they did so.

2. Smalling and Jones who have all started ahead of Rafael at right back at times, don't lack pace at all. So your ''Rafael would start every game'' statement makes little sense.
  39. May 21, 2012

Rossa Full Member

I think the Berbatov lacks pace argument is more myth than truth. Rooney, after all, isn't much quicker than Berbatov these days - I've seen Berbatov outpace Distin, not a lot of players do that, so he isn't slow. I cannot quite understand why he has not fitted in better than he has - it's a shame that he was benched after that terrific last season. This season he did great for a couple of matches, then he was mysteriously benched once more.

We don't know half the story, but to me it seems that he hasn't been treated too well.
  40. May 21, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

I've said before but I don't think pace is the issue. In the past we've had problems because berba likes to drop as does Rooney and we've not had people running past them. With the wingers getting more involved in our play, the addition of welbeck and clev I think we now have people who are more willing to get beyond the strikers and if we do that then I think berba would fit in just fine. The few times he has played with the likes of clev he's looked good. Personally i think he has more to offer at united but for whatever reason he's not in fergies plans. I hope he gets a good move because he's an excellent player and he comes across well imo