Berbatov

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Foxbatt, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nov 4, 2017

Billy Blaggs No mates but his cousins love him

What a load of tosh.
  2. Nov 4, 2017

berbatrick Full Member

This was just after he left United.
  3. Nov 4, 2017

Raoul Admin

:lol: Plech is that you ?
  4. Nov 4, 2017

Frank Grimes Full Member

I know.
  5. Nov 4, 2017

entropy Full Member

Both Berbatov and Kagawa fall in the same category for me. Ferguson bought them because he admired their style of play. Ideally, he’d have loved to see his squad cater to their strengths. But the reality was it was too hard for him to change our current style of play. It was lot easier for him to bench Berbatov for someone like tevez.
  6. Nov 4, 2017

EricaNo7 Full Member

I still can't believe that United fans criticise him after his goals won the league for us while Rooney was sulking
  7. Nov 4, 2017

99withaflake New Member

Of course he isn't a great, but he scored the goals that helped us win the league, provided us with some ridiculous moments of magic, and seemed like he appreciated being at the club.

He did a lot more for us than many of the current attacking players in our squad (I hope that doesn't come across like a dig) and should at least be respected by our fan base.
  8. Nov 4, 2017

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

Really doesn't come across how fast that ball was travelling. Scholes fecking pinged it.
  9. Nov 4, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

What if Rooney or Hernandez had went off injured? Berba would of been a much better replacement.
  10. Nov 4, 2017

Varun Moderator

Is he berba himself would be the more appropriate question
  11. Nov 4, 2017

Foxbatt Full Member

I do not think so. Owen will only score if we created chances. We had better players than Owen to score if those chances were created. Berbatov was the man who would have created those chances. Fergie did it so that Berbatov would get fed and ask for a transfer. He didn't and waited and helped us win the league before he left. Fergie treated him badly. He did not even put him on in games which we were winning so that he can win outright the golden boot award.
  12. Nov 4, 2017

gavdim2002 New Member

With Berbatov football is ART - also a class act as a pundit
  13. Nov 4, 2017

lsd Full Member

Complete rubbish Fergie is not going to do himself out of a trophy let alone the champions league so he can make Berbatov look for a transfer.
  14. Nov 4, 2017

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

Loved and loathed watching him play. Suppose you can't have the languid artist and the ground covering terrier.

He's a player I have fond memories of but even in his best year he never performed consistently and I think that is the biggest issue with Berba: consistency.
  15. Nov 4, 2017

meamth Full Member

No he's not a lazy bastard. Berba is a really smart player. Fergie debunked this criticism if i remember it correctly.

In all seriousness, Berbatov made clever runs and commanding other attackers where to defend from the top. Why waste stamina like a headless chicken?

We are missing a clever forward like him, hope ibra will fill that void soon.
  16. Nov 4, 2017

Foxbatt Full Member

I agree with you but most of the fans look at it with in a different perspective. They would rather see a player run after every ball and reaches it just as it crosses the touch line for a touch or the byline for a goal kick. It shows that he is trying.
    I see it in a different perspective. If a player does not know or understand the dynamics or the physics of his own ability and the pace on the ball then he is missing something. I think players like Berbatov understands it very well. What is the point of running after a ball that he is not going to reach before it goes out of play? He knows his own speed and the pace on the ball. So better save that energy for doing something constructive than making empty gestures and wasting his energy that may and would be needed later during the match. Players like Scholes as well would never run like a headless chicken chasing and reaching the ball just as it goes over the line.
  17. Nov 5, 2017

gavdim2002 New Member

Lesser players tend to play a kind of ”fans game” using a lot of energy and focus on unimportant (but highly visable) actions often resulting in them missing out on the important matchwinning stuff, like marking their man as a defensiv duty or being in the right place for at chance at the opponents goal. True quality players don´t do that and Berbatov certainly was one quality player.
  18. Nov 5, 2017

BenjaminP New Member

If I had to compare Berbatov to an animal, I would choose a swan. Elegant.
  19. Nov 5, 2017

automaticflare Full Member

This was a whopper touch and whopper game.
    2-0 down I think we were and won 3-2
  20. Nov 5, 2017

Scarlet Spider Banned

I would argue that Berbatov is probably the most successful "flop" football has ever seen. Name another striker who would win the Golden Boot and still be regarded as not up to United standards by so many? It is insane.
  21. Nov 5, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

Diego Forlan
  22. Nov 5, 2017

Scarecrow Requested ban until 08/02/2018

Can't say I remember him winning the Golden Boot with us.
  23. Nov 5, 2017

Treble Full Member

6 PL goals in his best season with United.
  24. Nov 5, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

[​IMG]
  25. Nov 5, 2017

Scarlet Spider Banned

Good point about Forlan but to be fair the defenders in the PL are light years ahead of La Liga which is a pretty uncompetitive league. Freddie Kanoute looked good when he went there because the defences were so rubbish.
  26. Nov 5, 2017

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Yeah but you're wrong.
  27. Nov 5, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

Then why do premier league teams always go after la liga strikers?

With Forlan he was just here when he wasnt the complete player yet, he gained his confidence at Villareal and took it a long way. He was a very good striker it just wasnt the right time for him at United, or we didnt believe in him enough and keep trying. Either way he wasnt a big signing but he did flop here, and yet went to La Liga and became a very good player and one of the better strikers around in his time.
  28. Nov 5, 2017

Scarlet Spider Banned

They go after them because their confidence is through the roof playing against paper-thin defences. A striker playing at the top level requires huge levels of belief.
  29. Nov 5, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

Which, if you are correct, means they'll lose that confidence in 5 mins in the premier league. So why spend all that money on La Liga strikers if they arent that good and are going to crumble when they cant do it in the premier league?
  30. Nov 5, 2017

Scarlet Spider Banned

I am not for one second saying that La Liga is completely inferior to the Premier League. It's just an environment where attackers are more likely to thrive than the PL because, let's be honest, they are less inclined to hire dour defensive coaches like Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce in Spain. In England the football is more physical than in Spain where it is more technical. We have seen countless players who were fantastic in La Liga or the Bundesliga come to England and look completely off the pace - it's a different ethos completely. You're less likely to see Spanish fans going beserk with happiness because someone shows "Pashun!"
  31. Nov 5, 2017

Treble Full Member

Think his point is different. Is there a player who flopped at a given club but won the golden boot whle playing for it (and not elsewhere)?
  32. Nov 5, 2017

Foxbatt Full Member

I do not think anyone sane would consider Berbatov a flop? He was won the EPL with United during his short time at United and won the golden boot too. So he is not a flop by any stretch of the imagination.
  33. Nov 5, 2017

Scarlet Spider Banned

Correct. I know John Aldridge was irked by Liverpool hiring him to replace Ian Rush who went to Juventus. Aldridge won the Golden Boot in his first season there and then get moved down to let Rush return and was then shipped out to Real Sociedad.
  34. Nov 5, 2017

No11 Full Member

Supports:
    Aberdeen
    Football should be an entertainment, Berbatov was an entertainer.
  35. Nov 5, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

In the premier league maybe not, perhaps Anelka comes closest? But really Chelsea didnt break the bank for him

Other than that maybe Crespo at Lazio, where he was bought for big money and was top scorer but was eventually sold for less
  36. Nov 5, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

You're thinking of a circus. Football is a sport.
  37. Nov 5, 2017

lsd Full Member

He cost over 30 million and Fergie came to realise he didn't trust him on the pitch and dropped him for our biggest games before sellling him .

Anyone who watched his complete non effort on a must win game v Blackburn plus countless other games or that fecking pen in the fa cup semi final shootout would feel the same

Also for the last time he won a golden boot where over half his goals came in three games and he scored twice that season from January onwards .
  38. Nov 5, 2017

Foxbatt Full Member

Take away his goals in that season Rooney was injured and we would not have won the PL. The man who dropped him for the above mentioned Final said later on it was not fair on Berbatov and he regrets now doing so. He also states that he is not a flop for United and he scored a lots of important goals for us and won the PL that season because of his goals especially with the absence of Rooney.
  39. Nov 5, 2017

Ekeke Full Member

He did well that season and was our most important striker. But £30 million was a lot at the time. There was also what signing him meant for other players, like Tevez moving on. So he was a very costly signing. He'd have had to have had a Messi season to be worth the investment for 1 very good season. It was just a good goalscoring season like a lot of other strikers have. He deserved his place in the team that season but if thats all it took to live up to your expectations, then your expectations werent very high for a big money signing.
  40. Dec 6, 2017

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

Playing midfield for his current team.
    Interesting.