Berbatov

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by dbryan, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Mar 14, 2019

buckooo1978 Full Member

fantastic footballer but we would have been better off with Tevez who was more of a big game player

remember some fantastic football from Berba and the hat trick v Liverpool

also remember a nil-nil against Blackburn when Rooney was out injured (his amazing season) and we effectively needed a goal to win the league - he didn't step up and missed a great chance iirc
  2. Mar 14, 2019

Robbie Boy Full Member

I really liked him as a player and was excited when we signed him. However, I feel his time with us was generally a let down. I think he was more exciting to watch when he was linking up with Keane at Spurs.
  3. Mar 14, 2019

berbatrick Full Member Scout

Amazing volleys in this one, my favourite video of his. The best bit is the bicycle-kick assist at 5:25.

Not a great video, but his time at Leverusen is always missed in other compilations. This just shows his goals and some assists. From watching this I realised he's scored against Real, Barca, Bayern (all 3 as a Leverkusen player), United (for Spurs and Leverkusen), Liverpool (for United and Fulham), Chelsea (United and Spurs) and Arsenal (Spurs, Fulham, and Monaco :lol:). Not bad!

The highlight of his time at Leverkusen is this classic, by far:
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. Mar 14, 2019

Treble Full Member

That was Valencia set up by...Berba. He was one of our better players in that game but fans were understandably frustrated and singled out him for our failure there.
  5. Mar 14, 2019

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Supremely talented and had a few spectacular moments, but he never seemed like the right player for us, apart from that one season where he had more good spells than usual.

As a person, he is infinitely more likable than Tevez, but on the pitch Berbatov annoyed me by constantly not being in position, and throwing a strop when he didn't get the ball. He turned out to be a massive bastard, but at that time I'd rather we spent the money on Tevez.
  6. Mar 14, 2019

berbatrick Full Member Scout

It was an awful performance from the team, Berba didn't do well but he was starved of service. I'm not sure he had a single shot. You're right though - he set up the only chance we had all game, for Valencia.
  7. Mar 14, 2019

Andycoleno9 Full Member

This sums it up perfectly. He was unique type of striker, something like striker-playmaker. He was not good for Fergie's quick style of play but i think that for teams which play with slower tempo he would be amazing.
  8. Mar 14, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

I also recall an FA Cup semi final against City where Rooney was suspended, for swearing down the camera, and Berbatov had to step up.

But he missed a couple of big chances, we lost and I don't think Fergie ever trusted him after that.
  9. Mar 14, 2019

Scarecrow Having a week off

He is still a massive United fan. You can tell how proud he is of having played for us. Up there with Pat and the twins.

He was in his head a lot though. I think he didn't quite have the confidence to be a superstar even though he had the talent.
  10. Mar 14, 2019

Robbo's Shoulder Full Member

Wonderful talent, frustrating at times. When in the mood he was a joy to watch.
  11. Mar 14, 2019

groovyalbert Full Member

FA Cup provided some pretty awful Berba memories - the penalty against Everton in the semis was atrocious.

Still, amazingly talented and great to watch.
  12. Mar 14, 2019

Andycoleno9 Full Member

His 10/11 season is underrated. Sure, it wasn't some great season, whole season he played in hit and miss mode, end of season was a big low for him, but still he managed to be our top goalscorer and he did score some crucial goals for title( Liverpool, Bolton, Blackpool).

Overall, he was hit and miss but i am glad that we had him.
  13. Mar 14, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

His second goal in the hattrick against Liverpool has to be one of the best goals scored at Old Trafford, and one of the best ever scored against Liverpool except maybe Mata at Anfield. What a day that was though, thank you Berba..
  14. Mar 14, 2019

mjstokes85 New Member

One of my favourite players of all time, got him on the back of one of my United shirts. His hold up play was very underrated. He scored some crucial goals and some incredibly memorable ones.
  15. Mar 14, 2019

11101 Full Member

He was a brilliant player but he didn't fit in the team at the time. He was a square peg for a round hole, the rest of the team played a different style of football to him and it resulted in everyone being a little worse than they might have otherwise been. I feel similarly about Lukaku although the problem is bigger now.
  16. Mar 14, 2019

Melville Red Full Member

You are joking right?
    I go back quite a while so I will refrain from going back too far so let’s keep it to the PL years.
    Have you forgotten Eric? Have you forgotten Keane? Robson (just in the PL) but too good to be left out of this quick list. Those players came to mind without thinking.
    Berbatov was a decent player for us but nothing great, for strikers who did far more for us and will rank higher are Cole, Yorke, even Teddy who should have come to us far earlier and was wasted at Spurs.
    Oh well each to their own.
  17. Mar 14, 2019

Verbalkint Full Member

What's so ridiculous about this thread? Do tell.
  18. Mar 14, 2019

meamth Full Member

It's not about achievements or a player must be historically significant player for United to be my own favorite player.

I just love the way he plays. Languid and supreme technicality, I just love that style.

I play football trying to be Berba, that's why. :lol:
  19. Mar 14, 2019

LeftyBlaster Full Member

One of my favourite players ever. He actually would be devastating playing for us now were he in his prime. I'd say he was the signed during the wrong era, but it's hard to ignore his contributions for us. Single handedly shitting on Liverpool with that hat-trick is right up there in my top United moments.
  20. Mar 14, 2019

meamth Full Member

Yeah, imagine Berba and Pogba connecting. I bet he can read Pogba easily.
  21. Mar 14, 2019

Physiocrat Full Member

I think that's largely true. He was definitely the deep lying striker type. He could however been used as a false 9 is a 433 but we didn't have the players to do that at the time.
  22. Mar 14, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It's funny looking back, he scored so many lovely goals. He's quicker than I remember too.

I always remember his touch and hold up play being good, but he's got a fantastic low driven shot, and pretty 2 footed. What a silky player :drool:
  23. Mar 14, 2019

MisterLupus Full Member

One of those players who could produce magic from nothing. Some of his maneuvers were as good as any I've ever seen - and I remember always feeling excitement whenever he was fielded because you knew he could produce something spectacular at any given time. However he seemed a bit lacking in hunger and drive - aloof even.

An artist more than a proffessional to be honest. The kind of player you'd love to see in glimpses when he's feeling inspired - well capable of taking on the lead role during smaller campaigns - but who might fall a bit short in terms of producing steadilly throughout an entire season.

People are different though and I feel he added an extra dimension to that particular lineup even if others contributed more consistently. He produced some worthwhile moments for sure no questions there and I'm thankful I got to see them.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  24. Mar 14, 2019

MoskvaRed Full Member

Never liked him to be honest. He was a Spurs level player - easy on the eye but lightweight at the very top level.
  25. Mar 14, 2019

Chairman Steve Full Member

A very very good player who didn’t quite fit, but Sir Alex made him fit better than he should have. Probably learned that after Veron.

Berbas 2008 transfer saga is the reason I found this website to be honest. I remember checking the Berba thread almost an hourly basis, waiting to see if it was actually going to happen.
  26. Mar 14, 2019

Red14Devil9 New Member

Berbatov was good, but he could have been great if he wouldn't be so sulky.
  27. Mar 14, 2019

Melville Red Full Member

Fair do’s.
  28. Mar 18, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

He was not a flop. Anyone who saw Berba regularly should have known he doesn't have much pace and he needed someone along side him up front.
    I have repeatedly said even then having a midfield of Fletcher behind him was always detrimental to a player like Berba. Time and again he would be asking for the ball from a midfield and it would never come.
    Berbatov rarely losses possession and he is a very good player in the air too.
    I would pay to watch him play.
  29. Mar 18, 2019

Ace Krampus New Member

Loved watching the guy. Oozed charisma. Him getting benched for that dizzy goat Welbeck was a source of never-ending frustration in 2011-12.
  30. Mar 19, 2019

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    This is one of my all-time favourite goals.

The absolute nonchalance he hits the ball with. It looks like the laziest yet most elegant finish. It's perfect.
  31. Mar 19, 2019

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Incredible goal :drool:
  32. Mar 19, 2019

Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær Lutefisk is it!

Dimi Berbs was great entertainment. Love 'im.
  33. Mar 19, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

he's the artist on the pitch.
  34. Mar 19, 2019

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    Great post.
    Disagree with the Bergkamp comment though, I think Berbatov lacked his physicality and mentality.
  35. Mar 22, 2019

MC89 New Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Superb first touch even though he looked like he couldn’t be bothered most of the time, great footballer
  36. Mar 22, 2019

Rockets Redglare New Member

I don’t think there’s many other players who would have the audacity to try that, never mind pull it off.
  37. Mar 23, 2019

Minkaro Full Member

That is beautiful. Everything about how he hits the ball screams "eh, feck it, worth a go."
  38. Mar 23, 2019

Physiocrat Full Member

I think Berba would fit in really well in Ole's current setup. He could play false 9/ the tip of the diamond. He would give us extra creativity and excellent hold up play, which helps against deep defences.

I remember him being particularly useful for that. That kind of player would have helped enormously against Wolves
  39. Mar 23, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

:lol:

Our current player at the top of the diamond has the legs and effort to run back and cover Pogba. Berbatov is much less suited to do that than Lingard
  40. Mar 23, 2019

Physiocrat Full Member

We don't need someone to run back and cover for Pogba. That sounds like something Mourinho would require. Especially against a deep defence we need creativity not a knock off Thomas Muller.