Best free-kick takers in the world?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Red4Life_#7, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018

arthurka Full Member

This. . Picking Messi is just lazy , he takes all the kicks and misses 95 from the 100..

Sinisa and Juninho pretty good but Becks was the best. . In my not so biased opinion ..
  2. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

They have higher success rate in training because they are taking one after another so they get into a rhythm...
  3. Feb 8, 2018

Schneckerl New Member

That's also a factor.
  4. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

And how many free kicks did he actually get to take for us??? At PSV he took pretty much all of them. Not sure if he had that many chances for us. I honestly don't remember any
  5. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Top corner is top corner. I don't care who the keeper is. Of all those free kicks there is only one where I question the keeper. That was the one from about 35 yards out where the keeper reacts too late. But I get it...haters gonna hate
  6. Feb 8, 2018

larflurf New Member

Van Hooijdonk in 01/02 and 02/03 scored 21 freekicks in those two seasons alone. His conversion rate was insane.. Juninho and Zico probably scored more freekicks in total though.
  7. Feb 8, 2018

Billy Blaggs No mates but his cousins love him

You're ignoring the difference in level. I'm not hating it's just a fact.
  8. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

I don't care what level it is. Are you telling me that the keepers in Europe would save those free kicks that are top corner from 25 yards out? Not a chance. You are just discrediting it because it's MLS and not actually looking at the skill involved in the free kick. It would be like discrediting Juninho because the keepers in Ligue 1 aren't as good as Spain, Italy, Germany and England...
  9. Feb 8, 2018

No it wouldn't because he's done it in top leagues.
  10. Feb 8, 2018

Adisa Full Member

Can't be having Ronaldo in this convo.
    His conversion rate must be ridiculous low.
  11. Feb 9, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Ligue 1 was not a top league then. It was just Lyon winning the league every year and going nowhere in Europe. Like I said, top corner is top corner. Those free kicks wouldn't be saved. I'm not talking about a player making defenders look silly in a lower league. I am talking about direct free kicks. You just don't want to give credit where it's due
  12. Feb 9, 2018

He did it in Europe not just the league.
    You won't find many that will agree with you I suspect.
  13. Feb 9, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

And those who don't agree are doing it for the same reason as you are. Because it's the MLS. You aren't taking anything else into consideration. You aren't looking at the skill involved. Besides, just because you and 10 other people say 2+2=5 and i'm the only one who says 2+2=4 it doesn't mean that I'm wrong because everyone else disagrees. Look at the free kicks. Watch the videos. Tell me what the keepers are doing wrong and which keepers would have saved those shots
  14. Feb 9, 2018

I saw them. But sub par keepers can't tell me if world class ones would have saved them.
  15. Feb 9, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

It doesn't matter. It's top corner. It could be De Gea in goal. He still scores on just about every one. There are a couple that are far out that the keeper moves late for. But I'm pretty sure if we post videos of Juninho taking free kicks we would see some that are the same. You are just being stubborn because you don't like 'Merican soccer. Bottom line is he is putting it over the wall into the top corner. It's not like the walls in Europe are better than the MLS. And going by your logic, if we watch the video that is posted on the first page of this thread with the "20 impossible free kicks to forget" you would be in awe of all of them accept for the last one where DeRosario puts an amazing bend on a screamer into the top corner just because it's the MLS meanwhile that was impossible to save...
  16. Feb 9, 2018

You're just being argumentative.
    And I live in Florida and watch plenty of the MLS. You have no basis apart from its top corner on which to prove your stance yet you're speaking in facts.
  17. Feb 9, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Because they are facts. And watching MLS and living in the States doesn't give you any extra merit to discredit the skill in Giovinco's goals. You are still hating just to hate. Let's put it this way. According to your logic this is a better free kick because it happened in the Serie A instead of the MLS while this is one that definitely should have been saved.

Not only that, Juninho is probably one of the greatest free kick takers ever. But he played in Ligue 1 for Lyon in an era where Lyon won something like 8 titles in a row but were still mostly a round of 16 team in Europe. So by discrediting Giovinco's goals because it's the MLS is also discrediting Juninho's goals because it was Ligue 1 (which was also second rate). Bottom line is, when inside 25-30 yards top corner is top corner whether it's a Champions League final or a Sunday beer league...
  18. Feb 9, 2018

Ok pal. I'm done, this is fruitless.
  19. Feb 9, 2018

SpyLuke10 New Member

Current: Sigurdsson, nah Messi or Calhanoglu.
    Past: Beckham or Roberto Carlos.
  20. Feb 9, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

He had some amazing free-kicks but in all honesty it was all about power and nothing else. I wouldn't even put him in the top 10 of all time. Koeman was a similar free-kick taker.
  21. Feb 9, 2018

MrPooni Full Member

The sheer volume of people citing Messi and Ronaldo in this thread is a damning indictment of the modern football fan. As great as they are in open play and as fantastic as some of their free kicks have been, they have no place on a list like this – especially Ronaldo.
  22. Feb 9, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

Or Messi for that matter. Both are incredible players but have nothing to do on a list like this. Even Baggio and Zola were better free-kick takers than them and few would even consider naming them on here.
  23. Feb 9, 2018

MrPooni Full Member

I singled Ronaldo out of the two because this is a United forum and anyone with a basic grasp of football who watched him for us would never consider listing him as the best free-kick taker in the world back then, never mind today.
  24. Feb 9, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

That's what happens when you watch compilations on youtube, makes Roberto Carlos look like a free-kick god, his conversion rate was shambolic and when he missed, he REALLY missed. Still there are some that rate him as one of the best free-kick takers of all time. Ronaldo takes every free-kick for Real and goes for goal every time, ofcourse some of them will be gold but how many missed? How many decent chances gone because he went for goal instead of crossing etc. That's why it's hard to base opinions on "Best of videos".
  25. Feb 9, 2018

Bobski Full Member

Not as many exceptional takers at the moment. Part of that might be the move to the knuckle ball technique, looks good when it works but I always felt that the instep was more efficient if more predictable. Juninho had both techniques, probably why he is the best ever.

Cristiano belongs with Roberto Carlos, reputation as a taker far exceeds his actual ability.
  26. Feb 9, 2018

manunited1919 Full Member

Truly amazing set of free kicks, each and all of them are nearly perfect for the position they are in, truly awesome. MLS may not have the best football, but they do tend to have good athletic goalies, most of the goalies are good enough to play in any european league. And a wall is a wall, so I don’t buy the argument about discrediting him due to playing in MLS.

Do you know Giovinco’s conversion rate from freekicks?
  27. Feb 9, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

Juninho and Mihajlovic are the best two I've seen. Juninho was better at free-kicks closer to goal while Mihajlovic the opposite. Probably other really good in the past but as I said above a compilation video doesn't tell the whole truth.

Although this hattrick video does :)

28. Feb 9, 2018

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    I just checked Roberto Carlos free-kick goals (from Transfermarkt), he scored grand total 12 goals from free-kicks in 700 appearance.
  29. Feb 9, 2018

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Juninho and Van Hooijdonk were ridiculous at them.

Anyone mentioning Ronaldo must not have seen him taking them for Madrid. Bale is better at them than him.
  30. Feb 9, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

You'll find many that agree with him. It doesn't matter what league it is, when the opposition is putting defenders on the line and he is still scoring.

31. Feb 9, 2018

Roux Full Member

I have no idea how many he scored for us - but Dennis Irwin was brilliant at free-kicks, often overlooked in conversations like this because of his quiet nature.

32. Feb 9, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Actually it does matter. And it's not about walls being somehow worse or bad keepers it's the simple fact of playing in MLS. There's a big difference between scoring free kicks in MLS and scoring them in top european leagues for the same reason there's a big difference between scoring free kicks in training and during a game: the pressure is different. Giovinco is a good free kick taker, but he was never incredible in Italy simply because he lacked the confidence. In MLS he can do literally whatever the feck he wants. There's very little difference for him between pratice and a game
  33. Feb 9, 2018

I don’t understand the need to discredit him and his freekicks due to playing in MLS. This guy has an amazing technique, the freekicks in that video are going to the extreme corners with just the right amount of power. They are practically unstoppable.

By citing the pressure argument you are just demonstrating you are set in your position and don’t have an open mind. If pressure is a prerequisite to the OP question, then only freekicks scored in quarterfinals or higher in CL and World Cup should count. There is pressure in all competitive championships, and pressure also depends on the score of the individual game.

You will also want to mention Memphis, I’m sure. I don’t think Memphis flopped due to not being able to handle the pressure (he just scored a screamer from open play against PSV in the final minute of a game). I think Memphis failure at United came about because he was more worried about the extravagant dressing and fancy cars than he was in getting his head down and doing the hard work. Attitude, not pressure.

But I’m sure you are still of the same mind, no offence intended. You have your opinion, others have a different opinion.

Do you know his freekick conversion rate?
  34. Feb 9, 2018

Grande Full Member

Miralem Pjanic seems a good shout these last few years.
  35. Feb 9, 2018

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Messi, Dybala, Pjanic, Marcos Alonso
  36. Feb 9, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

It's around 10%. So it's not the highest around, but still pretty good. But he also goes for it from far distances which brings it down and takes more than any other player in Europe. What I would love to see is a stat that shows not just conversion rate, but also % of shots on target. Giovinco doesn't miss the net often and rarely puts it into the wall. But I can't find that stat...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...ck-maestro-how-he-stacks-against-europes-best
  37. Feb 9, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

If Messi is the best free kicker we have no then there's not a single good one out there.

BTW, Payet takes way better freekicks than Messi.
  38. Feb 9, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Yeah, Ronaldo and Carlos were both scorers of great goals from free kicks, but hardly great free kick scorers. But when they did score, it definitely made the highlight real. I would be shitting my pants if I was standing in the wall with Carlos lining one up in front of me. As for CR7, I only liked him taking free kicks when it was outside 30 yards. Even if he didn't score he would put enough movement on the ball where if it hits the target it was hard for the keeper to handle so there would always be a rebound situation if our players were crashing the goal...
  39. Feb 9, 2018

10% is not too good. One would hope there would be separate stats for <25 yards and >25 yards.

According to Wikipedia, he plays for the Italian national side, is he a starter and is he their designated freekick taker?
  40. Feb 9, 2018

harms Full Member Scout

That seals it :lol: